Accident: Convinced she was a bear

Are hunting accidents really accidents?

• Yes. Accidents happen.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No. Guns are designed to kill; it's not too much to ask that you know what you're shooting at

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Other: ___________

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
This sign is a must for bear country. Read it all.

l_8fc6ab6b0770e6d4027659f524f4f177.jpg

Great sign, laughed so hard I nearly shit myself,

Then almost shit again when I was imagining some dumb outdoorsman deep in the woods with his son hearing two or three bells clanging to the ground, “Oh son, don’t be afraid it’s safe, it’s just another person with bells just like us, lets go over and see who it is”

...If you are poor and cannot afford to buy meat at the store, I won't say anything about you hunting for food.
But you are not poor. You can go to the store and buy your meat there. You do not need to hunt for it.
It apparently has become a habit.....

You obviously have me confused with someone else. I've never purposely killed an animal. I've never held a gun, let alone fired one.

One of the things that disgusts me about gun advocacy is that faction—of which you appear to be a member—that acts as if it is somehow unfair to expect someone who is operating a device designed to kill to do so in a responsible manner. Overexcited? Young and inexperienced? Then the child should not be shooting a gun without adult supervision in such a setting.

I agree. He should not have been left unsupervised. But you are punishing him for the mistake of an elder.

To the other, I find it worrisome that this faction also has such difficulty distinguishing between something like a car and a gun.

Actually there is no real difference. A gun is designed to accellerate a hunk of metal to a certain speed. A car is a hunk of metal, plastics and glass that is propelled at speed. It's all in what you aim at. Or did you fail to realize that little fact.

Make sure you let me know the next time someone uses a '67 Fairlane to take out the burglar in his living room, or a '72 Dino to bag a bear. Let me know the next time you go duck hunting with a Prius. I gotta admit, that will be something to see.

Well the '67 Fairlane in a living room is tough, but if you run a person over it is the same as shooting them. Possibly worse. And bears and deer have been killed by cars too.

Though duck hunting with a prius is possible, it is harder. Gotta make sure you get them lower to the ground.

no i was responding to clusteringflux's blood lust. hunting doesnt work anywhere near as well as fencing does even when the aim is eradication. look at rabits and fox's here, hunting does nothing but the so called dingo fence stopped them in there track

Okay, but Rabbits and foxes reproduce at a rate MANY time that of deer or elk. Hunting is a acceptable, humane and lucrative way for the government to keep control over the population on species that may only quadruple their number in a banner year. Rabbits and Foxes however can produce ten, thirty or even a hundred times their number in a short time. So the Australian governemnt uses fencing and mass starvation to keep them in check.

What validity has a cultural investment in killing? If one's culture is violated, diminished, demeaned, or threatened by the proposition of not killing arbitrarily, what sort of culture is it?

Native Americans come to mind. Well, natives in general.

Mod Hat - Splinter note

Mod Hat — Splinter note

I have created a splinter topic for the general discussion of people, animals, populations, and hunting. My apologies to the requesting member for the delay in doing so.

Those interested should see: "Splinter: Hunting, people, and populations".

Thank you.

Back