Accident: Convinced she was a bear

Are hunting accidents really accidents?

• Yes. Accidents happen.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No. Guns are designed to kill; it's not too much to ask that you know what you're shooting at

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Other: ___________

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
I have neighbors that use venison as their main source of protein. He's a good hunter and its what they can afford. Especially now that the cost of beef, fish, etc is going up and no one seems to have gotten a cost of living increase on their paycheck.

Is it legal ?

That's not a nation wide rule. :mad: Its a stupid lax rule where he lives, not where I live, not where I grew up, not where I have EVER lived in the US. In fact, here in MI you have to take a hunter safety course before you can get a license. And you certainty can't hunt without an adult.

Why should underage people be allowed to hunt at all ?

This sounds like negligent homicide to me. But the shooter is a kid, which makes things much more difficult. 14 year olds are retards by nature, so allowing them to go hunting unsupervised is quite risky, and holding them accountable for their retardation seems unfair.

Perhaps the parents are the ones who should be charged? I honestly don't think a child should be punished due to a failure of the system and/or his parents.

This sounds like negligent homicide to me. But the shooter is a kid, which makes things much more difficult. 14 year olds are retards by nature, so allowing them to go hunting unsupervised is quite risky, and holding them accountable for their retardation seems unfair.

Perhaps the parents are the ones who should be charged? I honestly don't think a child should be punished due to a failure of the system and/or his parents.

I'm interested in the laws of his state. Maybe a 14 yr old can have a bear license. Maybe a 14 yr old can be supervised by another minor. I don't know, but if so, the law needs changed.

orleander, fishing is a much lower risk than hunting. That being said i did end up with 2 stiches from a fishing acident and an incopitant doctor

I was really young and had gone with one of the older kids when he went fishing. I stupidly stood right behind him and he hooked me in the arm. The reason i ended up with stiches rather than butterfly strips is that the doctor didnt know what the fuck she was doing. She gives me a local and then starts cutting my arm (had me twist so i couldnt see what was going on though i would have liked to watch), after a couple of min dad goes "dont fish hooks curve the other way?" and i hear "ops yes". idiot

If you hunt on land you own, you can basically shoot whatever you want to. It does have to be in season though.

orleander, fishing is a much lower risk than hunting. ....

duh, I know that. But if kids shouldn't be allowed to hunt, why should they be allowed to fish? An animal dies and is eaten either way.

Lots and lots of kids here hunt. But they take a gun safety course, which they have to pass, and they have to hunt with an adult.
Hell, at school, if your grades were good enough, you could have opening day of deer season, turkey season, elk season, etc off. I remember driving to school in my boyfriends truck with his gun rack in the back window.

actually a lot of the time fishing DOESNT kill. In fact they have brought out a range of fish hooks with no barb (god i wish that kid had one of those when he hooked me:p) specifically for catch and releace. I love crabing because pulling the nets up is such good exercise and its so much fun to make the undersized ones go spinning like a frizbie:p

.... I love crabing because pulling the nets up is such good exercise and its so much fun to make the undersized ones go spinning like a frizbie:p

LOL, ah yeah. good times, good times. Their little legs all splayed out. :D

I live in town. Its illegal as hell to hunt here. :bugeye:

Sure don't answer, just act dumb instead.
And as Asguard said, fishing doesn't have to involve killing the fish. And no deadly weapons are placed in underage peoples hands.

One might think you would have learned by now.

Oh, I've got a long long way to go before I get used to stupidity on this level..maybe I should move to the states, that way nothing in Australia can surprise me, (like that time a tank got stolen).

To the other, I decided ... twenty-three years ago, I think ... that nothing would ever surprise me again. Obviously, I have failed. But it's worked for some things. One day I came out of work and my car was stolen. No big deal, you know? What can you do? One day I got to work and learned that the World Trade Center was burning down. The only real surprise about it was that someone finally got around to taking a swing at us; I wondered when that would be and where they would hit us. The last seven and a half years? Worrisome, to say the least. Unexpected, to a certain degree. But when you stop and think about it, the Bush years fit perfectly into the ongoing American decline; one would think we would eventually get around to this sort of shit.

What surprises me? Grotesque stupidity. No, no, I don't mean the people who thought Iraq was a good idea, or who still think that Bush is somehow a good president. (Even I can find a context to describe him as a success.) To the other, I'm a bit taken aback by the depths to which people will reach to justify the state of things. I'm a bit befuddled by the things intelligent people are expected to believe. I am bemused, to say the least, at the current election cycle. But surprised? How naive need I be in order for these things to surprise me?

Of course, when I was fourteen, everyone fretted about the music the kids were listening to. They didn't seem to worry at all about the idea of sending us hunting on our own. Perhaps this seems strange to some, but if so they haven't been paying any real attention.

It is almost surprising that it took until this whole War on Terror thing for so many of our friends around the world to tire of us. Then again, humanity is not exclusively an American condition.

I really don't get this obsession with hunting and sport that you guys have, I mean theres got to be other ways to prove your manhood than slaughtering some innocent animal or somehow being good at kicking a ball around right ?.

Of course, leave it to my international neighbors to defeat the purpose. Or maybe they just don't care. After all, they can't possibly be so stupid as to fail to realize that the insertion of useless, nationalist chest-beating into a situation like this only helps ensure that nothing useful is recognized or accomplished.

Neither is that surprising. It is, in the end, a matter of priorities. And as long as one person's misfortune should help to satisfy another's penis envy, those priorities are damnably predictable.

Mind you, stupidity isn't as exclusive to America as one might think, but one can be easily fooled into thinking it is.

After all, you get to beat your nationalist chest all the time, monkey see, monkey do.

I don't have a problem with hunting if you are eating the food, hunting responsibly (meaning ecologically) and hunting safely.
Sport hunting makes me sick (which doesn't necessarily mean I think it should be banned).
More tha sport hunting, though, I am sickened by the tons of rotting meat (wasted life), the maltreatment of farmed animals, genetic modification and many other aspects of industrialized farming.

Kill all the animals you want if you are going to eat the meat, are not going to adversely affect the balance of the ecosystem and are not going to kill some poor bastard hiking through the woods.

Back