A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Clueluss.

For the countless families that have lost loved ones, it's like a slap in the face. No one was watching out for them.
The all time worst remark at a funeral is that God must have needed them. :facepalm:
Meh, when my dad died, it was Gods will... When my son died, it was Gods will... When my mom died it was also Gods will.

I'll be gone soon too... God spends a lot of time in my life. Wish he didn't.

I dont' know what could have been stuck though... the hammer wasn't (as I know well from the fact I had cocked it back for the first attempt), the trigger and action was smooth as always, and the cylinder rotated as expected. It's a revolver... there really isn't all that much that could get stuck or jammed.

I only fired revolvers, 22 and 44mag, once while on one plinking outing when I was barely teen-aged. That guy I was with was someone who was rather kind in his acting out his pedophilia, so I feel rather lucky in that regard.

I know of few Christians who don't believe in a fiery fate for nonbelievers. Jesus believed in it and he's the great example isn't he? Allegorizing away the parts of the Bible you don't agree with is intellectually dishonest. It is and remains for most Christians God's revealed word on salvation and the fate of mankind.

There is the rub, if the fate of mankind is predestined for some kind of catastrophic holy war, why bother loving your neighbor as yourself? If the Bible were to say that an Apocalypse was one of many possibilities in mankind's future, then I would say well sure, might happen. Why don't we even get a roll of the dice?

There is the rub, if the fate of mankind is predestined for some kind of catastrophic holy war, why bother loving your neighbor as yourself? If the Bible were to say that an Apocalypse was one of many possibilities in mankind's future, then I would say well sure, might happen. Why don't we even get a roll of the dice?

That's the problem with religion; whatever ideas that might sound fine on the surface have to exist beside batshit paranoid ramblings like a war to end the world.

That's the problem with religion; whatever ideas that might sound fine on the surface have to exist beside batshit paranoid ramblings like a war to end the world.

So instead of accepting the good with the bad, you would rather eliminate it all...

why don't we just kill off all of humanity while we're at it? I mean, we've poisoned the very ecosystem that supports us, stretched the natural resources to their breaking point, and generally get our jollies off murdering one another in more and more intricate and complicated ways... doesn't matter that there is some good in us, we've got bad in us so guess we gotta go!

Again, the whole "everyone who does not believe will perish in holy fire" thing is something a lot of modern Christians have realized isn't the intended implication...
Absolutely.!!!
An the wisest of these "modern Christans" are the "New Age Christan Atheists"... of which i am a mamber.!!!
No thythes... no church... you can believe anythang you want... an as leader of NACA... i gurantee that you will not wind up in hell... much less roastin for eternity.!!!

Wanna join... all are welcome.?!?!?!

The explanation that comes to me is that throwing it on the floor got what was stuck unstuck. I'm glad it was stuck at the critical moment because Kittamaru seems too nice to not be around!

Yes a grate guy anyone woud love to have as a frind/nabor.!!!

Thanks, Clueluss.

For the countless families that have lost loved ones, it's like a slap in the face. No one was watching out for them.
The all time worst remark at a funeral is that God must have needed them. :facepalm:

Or when the sole survivor of a plane crash says... praise God... Jesus saved me :bugeye:

So instead of accepting the good with the bad, you would rather eliminate it all...

I never said that. I don't begrudge people their faith. I was just pointing out a problem inherent to it.

why don't we just kill off all of humanity while we're at it? I mean, we've poisoned the very ecosystem that supports us, stretched the natural resources to their breaking point, and generally get our jollies off murdering one another in more and more intricate and complicated ways... doesn't matter that there is some good in us, we've got bad in us so guess we gotta go!

Is this supposed to be a response to me? :shrug:

Absolutely.!!!
An the wisest of these "modern Christans" are the "New Age Christan Atheists"... of which i am a mamber.!!!
No thythes... no church... you can believe anythang you want... an as leader of NACA... i gurantee that you will not wind up in hell... much less roastin for eternity.!!!

Wanna join... all are welcome.?!?!?!

Sounds good to me!

Yes a grate guy anyone woud love to have as a frind/nabor.!!!

For sure!

Or when the sole survivor of a plane crash says... praise God... Jesus saved me :bugeye:

That survivor type of thing really bothers me. I actually heard on radio a similar type of comment from someone who made it through a plane crash.

I never said that. I don't begrudge people their faith. I was just pointing out a problem inherent to it.

Is this supposed to be a response to me? :shrug:

It was merely showing the comparison; just because something has some bad points to it doesn't mean that it should be eliminated. Much the same, if this were the case we would still use Horse and Buggy instead of cars... or, actually, we wouldn't, since horses need fed and they poop, buggy's get bogged down in mud, etc...

I don't think people could handle it. The only way that sounds decent to me, though apparently extremely unlikely, if not impossible, would be for the sun to go supernova.

Meh, when my dad died, it was Gods will... When my son died, it was Gods will... When my mom died it was also Gods will.

I'll be gone soon too... God spends a lot of time in my life. Wish he didn't.

The whole notion of Bible-heaven/hell is pitiful.!!!
I thank all we know... or can know about life is esactly as it apears to be... that everbody dies eventually... an luckly for us all... ther wont be some monser-Gods hell wit a devil stickin us wit a pitchfork.!!!

The only way that sounds decent to me, though apparently extremely unlikely, if not impossible, would be for the sun to go supernova.

Actually, on that vein, we should probably blow up the sun... it gives us heat and warmth, sure, but it also causes sunburn (OUCH!) and cancer! Not to mention it is the root cause of some of those really hot and humid days where you just don't want to do anything! Yup, down with the sun!

[ahem]

I think the point is clear... simply getting rid of something you disagree with or discover has a negative aspect associated with it isn't always the appropriate solution.

Indeed why "love your enemy" and "turn the other cheek" when Jesus and God can't even do that? GOD'S enemies get a special RSVP reservation over ye old infernal roasting spit. Fact is the Bible is a mess of contradictory and incompatible ideas and moralities strung together into a semblance of an overall message. It isn't. It's a confusing collection of 2 millennia old superstitions and beliefs and legends erroneously construed to be relevant to 21st century post-enlightenment human beings. It isn't that God is just nonexistent. He's totally irrelevant. We might as well be debating the importance of astrology or alchemy in our modern age.

It was merely showing the comparison; just because something has some bad points to it doesn't mean that it should be eliminated. Much the same, if this were the case we would still use Horse and Buggy instead of cars... or, actually, we wouldn't, since horses need fed and they poop, buggy's get bogged down in mud, etc...

I have no idea what you're going on about here. Horse and buggies don't spur wars or make claims of absolute knowledge. No one was ever oppressed because of a horse and buggy.

In a perfect world, there would be no religion. It was born in ignorance, and it's no surprise that it dies in knowledge. That doesn't mean I think you should be stripped of your faith unwillingly. It also doesn't mean that religion is all negative, it just means that it is usually tied to such dangerous ideology that even supposedly peaceful religions can incite atrocity.

Sounds good to me!

Close enuff... you are now a mamber of NACA an free as can be... enjoy :)

cluelusshusbund
Or when the sole survivor of a plane crash says... praise God... Jesus saved me

elte
That survivor type of thing really bothers me. I actually heard on radio a similar type of comment from someone who made it through a plane crash.

Yeah it sure dumps on everbody that didnt make it... but like Trooper mentioned... i guess Jesus "needed" them :bugeye:

So what should replace religion then?

I mean that honestly - if religion serves no further purpose in todays "scientific community", then what should replace it?

Mind you, as a whole, it seems we are becoming dumber... and the evidence to that is all around us...

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/15/research-suggests-humans-are-evolving-to-be-dumber/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...uman-intelligence-victoria-era_n_3293846.html

http://www.livescience.com/37095-humans-smarter-or-dumber.html

And the US tends to be a perfect example of it...

http://nypost.com/2013/10/08/us-adults-are-dumber-than-the-average-human/

I have no idea what you're going on about here. Horse and buggies don't spur wars or make claims of absolute knowledge. No one was ever oppressed because of a horse and buggy.

In a perfect world, there would be no religion. It was born in ignorance, and it's no surprise that it dies in knowledge. That doesn't mean I think you should be stripped of your faith unwillingly. It also doesn't mean that religion is all negative, it just means that it is usually tied to such dangerous ideology that even supposedly peaceful religions can incite atrocity.

So then let us take the point to the root of the issue... which is simple in the end. People will use ANY tool at their disposal to gain power, wealth, or adoration given the chance if they think they can get away with or justify it... this makes religion, like so much else, simply a tool, an end to a means.

The whole notion of Bible-heaven/hell is pitiful.!!!
I thank all we know... or can know about life is esactly as it apears to be... that everbody dies eventually... an luckly for us all... ther wont be some monser-Gods hell wit a devil stickin us wit a pitchfork.!!!

I agree... I have no time for fables and myths.

Life is hard enough as it is.

Actually, on that vein, we should probably blow up the sun... it gives us heat and warmth, sure, but it also causes sunburn (OUCH!) and cancer! Not to mention it is the root cause of some of those really hot and humid days where you just don't want to do anything! Yup, down with the sun!

[ahem]

I think the point is clear... simply getting rid of something you disagree with or discover has a negative aspect associated with it isn't always the appropriate solution.

I thank that was kinda Bible-Gods solution wit the grate flood :scratchin:

But heres a queston to you:::

If you was a all-knowin all-powerful God... woud you create humans... if children bein raped/tortured murdered was inevitable.???

PS:::

I woudnt.!!!

So what should replace religion then?

I mean that honestly - if religion serves no further purpose in todays "scientific community", then what should replace it?[/url]

This dilemma bothers me because of my view that humanity was able to get and stay civilized because of religion, which now appears highly likely to have been an instinctual tendency that has been reinforced both consciously and unconsciously in various ways over the millennia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back