A race horse

Okay. But I would be interested if you would come back and tell me why you care about these goals. I would like to know.

i have the right attitude towards everything and have been flawless in executing my responses up to this point. laplace may assure others of future actions but i shall not be that foolhardy. i cannot guarantee that i will do the right thing tomorrow

ja, the vicissitudes of life and whatnot

Last edited:

I wonder about motivations. So many of them stem from what seems unimportant to others. :p

Gustav said:
i have the right attitude towards everything and have been flawless in executing my responses...ja, the vicissitudes of life and whatnot

Is it important to you that you have the right attitude and execute flawlessly?

Does it bother you being flawed?

Do you feel parts of your life where you were not at your best are wasted?

Is it important to you that you have the right attitude and execute flawlessly?

as opposed to fumbling irrationality, yes

Does it bother you being flawed?

depends on the context. no/momentarily/obsession

Do you feel parts of your life where you were not at your best are wasted?

depends on the context. the formative years get a pass. not making optimal use of info is retarded. generally speaking tho since a revisit is not an option, i tend to move on

my prior post was just some rhetorical crap. actual life is pathetic at best

Look again at what I said. Every single state where Buddhism was state ideology became fascist. Was it Buddhism? Who knows? But the fact remains that:
Every single state where Islam was the State ideology has become a Dictatorship. Is it Islam? WHo knows? But the fact remains before their conquest by the Christians, ever single Islamic States was or still is run by dictators.

SAM said:
Look again at what I said. Every single state where Buddhism was state ideology became fascist.
That was trashed the first time you said it, some threads back. You seemed to think that the Japanese fascist state had Buddhism as a state ideology, for example, among other dubious presumptions. And it begged a key question at issue then and now, which was then and is now the effects of a religion - any religion - becoming the ideology of a state. The blinkered horse not just in the race, but steering the chariot.

Meanwhile, you are attempting to insist that the Shia of Iran are not in accordance with "the tenets of Islam".

We should look at it again why?

That was trashed the first time you said it, some threads back. You seemed to think that the Japanese fascist state had Buddhism as a state ideology, for example, among other dubious presumptions. And it begged a key question at issue then and now, which was then and is now the effects of a religion - any religion - becoming the ideology of a state. The blinkered horse not just in the race, but steering the chariot.

Meanwhile, you are attempting to insist that the Shia of Iran are not in accordance with "the tenets of Islam".

We should look at it again why?

The Japanese state with the Nara warriors was a Buddhist one. Bernard Faure is hardly a casual scholar in the field.

The Tendai monks were the greatest troublemakers in Japanese history.

They threatened Emperors with war in 969, 1200, 1201-1299 (twice a year), 1235, 1236, 1256, 1257, 1259, 1264, by marching into the capital city fully-armed, demanding many things whose end was always money and gold and such. The Emperors always relented, fearing them; Regents and Shoguns usually pretended that nothing happened because they feared war with the more powerful monks while fearing the taboo of killing a Buddhist monk more, regardless of the fact that those monks clearly observed no such taboo.

But in 1278 the Hojo Regency finally got fed-up with them. When the Tendai monks swarmed into Kyoto again, they sent troops to meet the monks. A war raged and a lot of monks were killed before running back home to their mountain.

This is the sect on Mount Hiei, whose main temple is called Enryakuji, near Kyoto today, which Oda Nobunaga razed to the ground in 1571. If you can see how yawning the gap was between the sect's doctrines and the real practice of the warrior-monks is, then Oda Nobunaga surely could, too.

http://www.geocities.com/azuchiwind/monks2.htm

The twelvers of Shia Islam claim to be "divinely ordained leaders". In Islam there is no such thing. However, they still believe in God and follow Muhammed which is the minimum qualification required to be a Muslim. So they are Muslims who have incoporated some other beliefs. And thats fine. But it will probably lead to the deterioration of the form of Islam they promote. Believing someone is divinely ordained influences how much they direct your actions and leaves you open to exploitation by them. Its one of the easiest ways to destroy a religion.

The Japanese state with the Nara warriors was a Buddhist one. Bernard Faure is hardly a casual scholar in the field.

perhaps you would like to explain how the scriptures enable all these japanese shenanigans? would the buddha approve?

warrior_monks_2.jpg

The warrior-monks of Nara,
in a 19th century sketch.
They partied on beef and such,
they drank galons of alcoholic beverages,
they kept concubines, and made lots of kids.
That's as 'Buddhist' as my cats!

err
are you not trying to make the case that buddhism encourages violence and causes states to lean toward fascism? :)

Exactly. Hence you have the Tibetan Buddhist king who skinned the Banpo if they did not convert to Buddhism, the Dalai Lama who ran a medeival landowner serfdom where 90% of the people were slaves to the decadent 5%, the junta who oppress the minions and tear down churches and mosques in Burma and the Sinhalese who consider the Tamils as terrorists for deigning to question their rights as the Chosen people of the Buddha.

ahh
fodder :D

good enough for me
quote the relevant scriptures that you hold to correlate to the type of activities that you describe

Again, no clue. Just the actions of Buddhist monks throughout history. :)

Back