a non-physical thing

Signal

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

hence holding the mind as the fundamental substance of reality poses dire consequences

But what choice is there?

the choice to accept that one's mind is not the ultimate authority.
In one sense, if we make the choice to accept the mind as the ultimate authority, so many other choices are made for us.

eg

SB 11.13.8: Śrī Uddhava said: My dear Kṛṣṇa, generally human beings know that material life brings great future unhappiness, and still they try to enjoy material life. My dear Lord, how can one in knowledge act just like a dog, an ass or a goat?

SB 11.13.9-10: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Uddhava, a person bereft of intelligence first falsely identifies himself with the material body and mind, and when such false knowledge arises within one's consciousness, material passion, the cause of great suffering, pervades the mind, which by nature is situated in goodness. Then the mind, contaminated by passion, becomes absorbed in making and changing many plans for material advancement. Thus, by constantly thinking of the modes of material nature, a foolish person is afflicted with unbearable material desires.

How can such a choice be made effective?
I guess it begins with philosophy and it culminates when one acts upon it.
How can such a choice be acted upon?

I have intellectually decided that the mind is not a good instance to hold as a fundamental substance of reality. What do I do next?
hints are there in BG 18.65

The idea is that intelligence (which is basically memory) can start one on the way.

How? By engaging it in some different way, by continually feeding it information contrary to what it has been used to so far, even if it doesn't actually believe that information ...?
By remembering what result an action confers.
To be caught in maya is to forget that one gets kicked in the face every time.
IOW its the nature of illusion to dress up a scenario so that it appears different. (old wine in new bottles)

For instance, even the recognition that the mind is a merciless master is sufficient to start many an impersonalist on the path, even though they have no scope for any sort of other nature of self or whatever.

Of course the personalist has recourse to an easier path, since the self isn't shipped off wholesale.

For better or worse, I am an impersonalist. I suffer. I don't want to suffer. What can I do to overcome impersonalism?
take the helm of your individuality!

education too has become an industry

An industry of producing impersonalists ...
well yeah ..... that tends to follow

Ironically (BG 6.41) an unsuccessful practitioner goes to the material heavens while an almost successful practitioner comes back here in the human form. In all cases, desire is the vehicle of movement for (!!!)

Desire is the vehicle of movement for ... the embodied soul / the achievement of the highest perfection ...?

(oh, and that is a lovely formulation there with the (!!!) ) )
for anything

even a gross materialist or impersonalist has desire as the vehicle.

on materialism:

I suppose it seems to me that by your logic, concepts or at least "the construct" which you claim to be purely illusion, doesn't/don't and can't exist. I use the term 'exist' perhaps slightly differently, as in "is part of reality" - which doesn't require 'physical' in the sense I think you mean it. To me it's rather plain to see it does exist, so I question my notion of existing and expand it slightly as just noted.

Illusions exist and have no physical referrent. They exist in the subjective, which is part of reality. When you say it's the nuerons etc. doing the knowing, I mostly agree - but they invoke the subjective which is interesting to me.

The thing is, when I said you can't really say what the stuff you see in someone else's brain means to them - you underestimated my point (to steal your phrase, pardon), though perhaps not by much. No matter what you do to look at the internal picture of another's mind - it's still YOU observing it. You can't be them to know what it means in the context of them, which is all that really matters to them at the time.

While this may seem a trivial observation, to me it makes all the difference in the overall context of the thread. The construct is the non-physical thing that exists. I is not an illusion to me, see?

Honestly I think acknowledging self is a matter of faith. I think that all knowledge is faith-based and generally rationalized to some subjective degree, through some personal 'lense' if you will. Some people try to skew the information as little as possible through scientific methodology of some sort, and some try to skew it as little as possible starting with the bible. Some don't know what skew means or how it applies to their 'lense' on reality. Regardless, each subject stands on its own in terms of authority on reality. Reality itself is apparently indifferent to opinion, and doesn't require us to sort it out. While I agree that if a god person wants to convince most 'rational' people that god is real, they should provide some tangible evidence, at least in principle - observe that they don't have to and can try anyway, specifically to annoy you. :p

(side topic: this seems like a sorting process to me, as in - if you can be persuaded by such arguments - you should be)

I used to sort of despise that sort of behavior, but now I just think it's really human. I like the other humans and won't fault them fundamentally because their brains apparently say different things about reality than mine does. Who cares how they rationalize their behavior if they contribute good things to the world? we're all doing the same thing (rationalizing behavior/experience), we just think we're better at it than most. Perhaps we are, as no one is better at being you than you.

Is there any authority to be had in this virtually shared illusion?

If nothing else, sciforums has taught me there is none. I hope I haven't learned the wrong thing.

Last edited:
In one sense, if we make the choice to accept the mind as the ultimate authority, so many other choices are made for us.

And similarly, many choices are made for us if we accept something else as the ultimate authority.

I have noted SB 11.13.8-10 and BG 18.65.

take the helm of your individuality!

But how?

Anything I have tried so far feels so artificial, merely conjured up.

Can you give me some examples please on how to take the helm of one's individuality?

And how to address the feeling that it is all artificial?

And similarly, many choices are made for us if we accept something else as the ultimate authority.

Sure

There are contingent factors to our decisions. I guess the thing about maya though is that many make an uninformed choice (IOW work under the pressure of duress)

But how?

Can you give me some examples please on how to take the helm of one's individuality?

I was meaning that one has to (re)begin from the point of understanding that they are not a mode of nature (no matter how much they might wish for it). IOW there is no "automated system of application" that one can do to confer spiritual results. Kind of like there is no automated system of applying flowers to a person that can make them love you (even though in the process of being loved by another, flowers might be involved).
And furthermore there is no eventual winding up of this individuality.

Kind of like looking at yourself and seeing "this is what I am (a creature somewhat under the grip of maya), this is the desire that I have, that is the desire that I want, and this is the way I have to work to attain it)
Basically it boils down to where we really think issues of long term fulfillment are allocated (which then allow us to surmount the host of risk issues that surround them)

But how?

Do you think he's answering your questions?

There are contingent factors to our decisions. I guess the thing about maya though is that many make an uninformed choice (IOW work under the pressure of duress)

While in the clutches of maya, how can one possibly make an informed decision?

Especially when in the clutches of maya, one cannot know in advance whether a decision one has made and made an effort to act on will bring about the desired result or not.

I mean, I see no way of doing anything right while in maya. While in maya, one is bound to make mistakes. I don't see how this can be avoided.
"I am in maya. Whatever I do, it is going to be a mistake. Even opting for some spiritual path that proposes to lead to God is going to be a mistake."

I really see no end to thinking that everything is ultimately imaginary, illusionary, no matter how real it might feel.
There was a time where a good headache would do the trick, and I would think, "Oh, this is real." But it doesn't do so anymore. It is as if with every pain I feel, the treshold just gets higher and higher, and more and more pain is necessary in order to have some sense that it is real. One of the worse things I can think of is to have several bones broken, and feeling like it's not real, that the pain, albeit there, is just imagined.
And same goes for nice things.

This doesn't seem right to me, and I am scared of it. Perhaps there is something wrong with my brain - I could be having consequences from B12 deficiency, prolonged anemia or from some toxins - these things can have neuropsychiatric consequences (I am a candidate). But then this is again more things to imagine!

I was meaning that one has to (re)begin from the point of understanding that they are not a mode of nature (no matter how much they might wish for it).

What does that look like in practice, can you give some examples?
A person wakes up in the morning. Applying the theoretical knowledge that she is not the modes, she thinks ...?

IOW there is no "automated system of application" that one can do to confer spiritual results.

I think I understand that. But there have to be practical examples that can help one to recognize this phenomenon of application and figuring out what applies in one's own specific case, haven't they?

So it is open-ended?
How can it be individuality then? I had always thought that indviduality is something finished, completed, and that if it isn't completed, it is not individuality.

Basically it boils down to where we really think issues of long term fulfillment are allocated (which then allow us to surmount the host of risk issues that surround them)

For an impersonalist to figure out what he really thinks or feels is an oxymoron. :(

Please tell me there is a way for the impersonalist too!

Signal

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

While in the clutches of maya, how can one possibly make an informed decision?

Especially when in the clutches of maya, one cannot know in advance whether a decision one has made and made an effort to act on will bring about the desired result or not.
I meant to say that.
IOW its the nature of once having made the choice of maya, that one is in an uninformed position. Kind of like being so horribly lost that one has completely forgotten not only their bearings but also the fact that they are lost.
I mean, I see no way of doing anything right while in maya. While in maya, one is bound to make mistakes. I don't see how this can be avoided.
"I am in maya. Whatever I do, it is going to be a mistake. Even opting for some spiritual path that proposes to lead to God is going to be a mistake."
The bit about adopting a spiritual path is an argument from maya. If maya was insurmountable even for god, that would make maya god.
I really see no end to thinking that everything is ultimately imaginary, illusionary, no matter how real it might feel.
If everything is actually illusion, its not clear how one would know that.
The vaisnava perspective is that the world of maya is real but temporary.
There was a time where a good headache would do the trick, and I would think, "Oh, this is real." But it doesn't do so anymore. It is as if with every pain I feel, the treshold just gets higher and higher, and more and more pain is necessary in order to have some sense that it is real. One of the worse things I can think of is to have several bones broken, and feeling like it's not real, that the pain, albeit there, is just imagined.
And same goes for nice things.
Basically desire is the fundamental of the living entity that constructs issues of "reality" for them. (reality in terms of function and performance ... aka teleology).

If one is under the grip of futility or hopelessness, it often produces a sense of disenfranchisement with the environment that produced it.

Despair, however, is not liberating.

Rather its simply another tool of samsara.
This doesn't seem right to me, and I am scared of it. Perhaps there is something wrong with my brain - I could be having consequences from B12 deficiency, prolonged anemia or from some toxins - these things can have neuropsychiatric consequences (I am a candidate). But then this is again more things to imagine!
generally there are issues that surround dharma (moral or religious upholdment) , artha (the ability to generate a means for one's existence, or economic development) and kama (satisfy the senses) that sculpt one's sense of worth. Generally these things reach their pinnacle in married life.
If one however sees the futility of these things, they are probably better suited for renounced life.

Once one has made the decision to be either partnered or renounced, it often works out that a person is more capable or confident of applying themselves to the task of bhakti.

I was meaning that one has to (re)begin from the point of understanding that they are not a mode of nature (no matter how much they might wish for it).

What does that look like in practice, can you give some examples?
A person wakes up in the morning. Applying the theoretical knowledge that she is not the modes, she thinks ...?
"its time to break out of tamas, so regardless of the million and one reasons a tamasic mind can produce for staying in bed, its time to get up"

If one has some sattvic (or suddha sattvic) tasks to perform in the morning, it makes it easier to gravitate towards something more elevating. For 99.9% of the population however, its more a case of being elevated out of tamas by rajas (ie, go to work)

IOW there is no "automated system of application" that one can do to confer spiritual results.

I think I understand that. But there have to be practical examples that can help one to recognize this phenomenon of application and figuring out what applies in one's own specific case, haven't they?
Sure
Basically it boils down to the issue of asking, with great introspection and on a regular basis, "what do I like about spiritual life? What do I want to achieve (in a practical doable sense - like , sure, ok, I really want to go beyond vaikuntha, but in practical terms, I would really like to visit that temple/devotee I haven't seen in months, go traveling to X Y Z pilgrimage, get my japa in good shape, etc etc).

If this draws a blank one can omit the word "spiritual" and still use it as a beginning point.

So it is open-ended?
How can it be individuality then? I had always thought that indviduality is something finished, completed, and that if it isn't completed, it is not individuality.
meaning that individuality is a constant. It never goes away.

Its the nature of individuality in the material world that it diminishes .... and its the nature of individuality in the spiritual world that it is ever increasing.

For an impersonalist to figure out what he really thinks or feels is an oxymoron.
that's because they think long term fulfillment lies in having no identity.

sure

its called the long path

:D

Illusions exist and have no physical referrent.

I would have to differ here. An illusion has actual physicality (heat waves for example), its just that it has been mistaken for something other than what it is (thought to be water).

Thus upon more detailed examination the illusion is dispelled.

A delusion though is an false mental state which can be entirely subjective and thus have no actual referent, even a misapprehended one (like god).

they invoke the subjective which is interesting to me.

Being able to create your own virtual reality is definitely cool beans.

it's still YOU observing it. You can't be them to know what it means in the context of them, which is all that really matters to them at the time.

Sure.

The construct is the non-physical thing that exists. I[t?] is not an illusion to me, see?

Either I'm missing something or I can't agree that personal perspective has that sort of influence over the object perceived.

So while I can't know exactly how meaningful something is to you, the importance you assign to it doesn't change the underlying reality.

You might think something is very important, so much so that you talk yourself into the deluded belief that it is out there. But that doesn't make it so if it isn't.

Now I've already granted that complex patterns seem to be an emergent kind of "thing" which while dependent on the physical substrate, are also abstractable from one physical instance to another. Thus the pattern of the Mona Lisa is recognizable as such and can be implemented in various physical substrates (aka media).

Likewise I'm willing to grant god as such a pattern (aka the concept of god or idea of god) which finds its way into various physical substrates (minds, books, etc.)

But if you are proposing a kind of non physical object which has full independence from the physical substrate, I've no clue what or how that could be, but am interested in the explanation and pertinent examples.

Honestly I think acknowledging self is a matter of faith.

I seem to have direct apprehension of self. How could it become merely a matter of faith?

I think that all knowledge is faith-based

That must leave the world very confusing, but while you may have personally chosen that, it is not the accepted meaning of the word "knowledge." Knowledge is based on experience and reason to the exclusion of faith.

While I agree that if a god person wants to convince most 'rational' people that god is real, they should provide some tangible evidence, at least in principle

That brings up an interesting side point.

I'm god. But how do I convince you? I change the sky blue for you and you say "but its always been blue." Well of course. To change the sky blue I destroyed the old universe, you and everything else, and then recreated this universe exactly the same except with a blue sky.

Of course one must wonder if being recreated exactly the same as before is the same as actually being the same person as the one destroyed. And there is the ethical question of destroying an entire universe just to answer a trivial question for some one who may not exist any more. And finally its just a royal pain in the ass getting everything exactly the way is with a single point of difference. How many eternities should I spend on such a project when you won't be convinced any way?

we're all doing the same thing (rationalizing behavior/experience),

Ah, but some people aren't just rationalizing behavior/experience and there are fruits to their labors of understanding and knowledge.

lightgigantic said:

The bit about adopting a spiritual path is an argument from maya. If maya was insurmountable even for god, that would make maya god.

That maya is surmountable for God isn't at issue for me here.
The issue for me is that maya seems insurmountable for a human.

I do not see how a human in maya could get himself out of maya. He's simply stuck in it, with nothing but a series of mistakes to show for.

And even if one accepts the help of someone who purports to know the way out, one still cannot know in advance whether one has made the right choice - it might be just another mistake. I find it very difficult to fully devote myself to something which might be just another mistake.

If everything is actually illusion, its not clear how one would know that.

One can't, one is just in some abstract doubt and confused ...

The vaisnava perspective is that the world of maya is real but temporary.

At what point can one hope to gain some certainty about that?

Basically desire is the fundamental of the living entity that constructs issues of "reality" for them. (reality in terms of function and performance ... aka teleology).

Does this hold for reasoning as well? Because reasoning is als a kind of activity (function and performance).

If one is under the grip of futility or hopelessness, it often produces a sense of disenfranchisement with the environment that produced it.

Despair, however, is not liberating.

Rather its simply another tool of samsara.

A tool for what? For keeping one in samsara and sinking deeper and deeper in it?
And if yes, why? How does despair arise, what (however perhaps twisted) purpose does it serve?

generally there are issues that surround dharma (moral or religious upholdment) , artha (the ability to generate a means for one's existence, or economic development) and kama (satisfy the senses) that sculpt one's sense of worth. Generally these things reach their pinnacle in married life.
If one however sees the futility of these things, they are probably better suited for renounced life.

So you don't view my potential brain damage to be a factor?

(It is hard to say how much exactly my IQ dropped, but when I was younger, it was well in the above-average range. About ten years ago, it was only slightly above 100. Both times, I took standardized IQ tests under professional supervision.)

Once one has made the decision to be either partnered or renounced, it often works out that a person is more capable or confident of applying themselves to the task of bhakti.

I don't seem to be able to make such a decision. Is there anything else I can do about the issue of being partnered vs. being a renunciate?

"its time to break out of tamas, so regardless of the million and one reasons a tamasic mind can produce for staying in bed, its time to get up"

How do I convince myself of that?

If one has some sattvic (or suddha sattvic) tasks to perform in the morning, it makes it easier to gravitate towards something more elevating.

I don't know about that. I can easily wake up before 4 AM, chant my rounds, study some scriptures, and feel fine. But by the time I have to start working, I am so sleepy I could sleep all day. It happened several times that I did my morning practice, fell asleep afterwards and slept almost the whole day. And I am not living in a temple, where I perhaps could afford that!

Basically it boils down to the issue of asking, with great introspection and on a regular basis, "what do I like about spiritual life? What do I want to achieve

I am familiar with this principle of regular introspection, in the form of daily/weekly/monthly/yearly reviews and slow degrees.

meaning that individuality is a constant. It never goes away.

Its the nature of individuality in the material world that it diminishes .... and its the nature of individuality in the spiritual world that it is ever increasing.

I don't think I understand that individuality could be ever increasing.

For an impersonalist to figure out what he really thinks or feels is an oxymoron.

that's because they think long term fulfillment lies in having no identity.

What is a person who has very strong impersonalist tendencies supposed to do? Is there a way for them?

I have often received advice to the effect of "figure out what you really want". But figuring out what I really want has proved impossible so far.
I do feel "I have" desires and goals, but they all float in a kind of empty space somehow, abstractly, they don't feel like they are "mine" or that I have anything to do with them.

sure

its called the long path

This is not funny.

That maya is surmountable for God isn't at issue for me here.
The issue for me is that maya seems insurmountable for a human.
Maya is most certainly insurmountable for a living entity other god. If it was otherwise, they wouldn't be marginal.
I do not see how a human in maya could get himself out of maya.
He's simply stuck in it, with nothing but a series of mistakes to show for.
that show of mistakes is trying anything and everything except taking shelter of god
And even if one accepts the help of someone who purports to know the way out, one still cannot know in advance whether one has made the right choice - it might be just another mistake. I find it very difficult to fully devote myself to something which might be just another mistake.
hence any epistemological move is underpinned by issues of faith

One can't, one is just in some abstract doubt and confused ...
My point is that to deem something as "false" or illusion, there must be some standard notion of truth.

If it was otherwise, there would be no question of illusion, merely a variety of choices of equal value

At what point can one hope to gain some certainty about that?
Basically it works in tandem to the degree that one has a substantial footing in god.

IOW a theoretical understanding of god grants a theoretical understanding about the nature of the world being temporary, etc etc

Does this hold for reasoning as well? Because reasoning is als a kind of activity (function and performance).
certainly
people give all sorts of crazy reasons fueled by desire all the time

A tool for what? For keeping one in samsara and sinking deeper and deeper in it?
And if yes, why? How does despair arise, what (however perhaps twisted) purpose does it serve?
despair is tamasic, or a determination that cannot go beyond dreaming (18.35), and tamas is simply part of the spice of material life

So you don't view my potential brain damage to be a factor?

(It is hard to say how much exactly my IQ dropped, but when I was younger, it was well in the above-average range. About ten years ago, it was only slightly above 100. Both times, I took standardized IQ tests under professional supervision.)
There are a host of social issues that prop up standard IQ tests.

There is some sort of movement to introduce EQ (emotional quotient) tests.
While there is certainly evidence showing how periods of emotional stress greatly inhibit one's ability to think, there's a host of problems (the standard one's that surround soft science) in standardizing a test around it.

I don't think the problem is so much the potential of physical damage but the anticipated social damage that freezes the wheel.

I don't seem to be able to make such a decision. Is there anything else I can do about the issue of being partnered vs. being a renunciate?
i am simply suggesting that there are disadvantages (in the form of extra stress)

by developing a strong association with other modes, or even better suddha sattva.

I don't know about that. I can easily wake up before 4 AM, chant my rounds, study some scriptures, and feel fine. But by the time I have to start working, I am so sleepy I could sleep all day. It happened several times that I did my morning practice, fell asleep afterwards and slept almost the whole day. And I am not living in a temple, where I perhaps could afford that!
hehe

I don't think anyone can, in the long term, afford to sleep the whole day, regardless of where they live.

Basically there is a model of sattvic living and we have to model our lives around it.
Getting up before sunrise is but one issue (and even then, there may be issues about our lifestyle that render that undoable).

The general principle is that a person eager for spiritual advancement should gravitate towards whatever (suddha) sattvic opportunity presents itself more details there in the beginning of SB 11.13

I am familiar with this principle of regular introspection, in the form of daily/weekly/monthly/yearly reviews and slow degrees.

If you've ever encountered a person who is caught in the rift of substance abuse, you can know something about decreasing

What is a person who has very strong impersonalist tendencies supposed to do? Is there a way for them?
Basically whatever desire (even the desire for impersonalism) that inhibits KC can only be surmounted by an equal or greater desire.

Ordinarily this would make things hopeless (since desire is kind of like a horse that has long gone shot through the gate), but its the nature of KC that it can go on like a needle and come out like a pitchfork.

IOW just a little bit of the right thing at the right time has the potential to overwhelm us completely (maya also works on the same principle BTW)

So in practical terms, the answer is to keep as many KC channels open as possible. IOW occasions where one has the opportunity to attempt KC will eventually bear success. Similarly occasions where one has the opportunity to get into maya will eventually bear success. Hence the "do's" and "do nots" (yama and niyama) that surround any spiritual discipline.
I have often received advice to the effect of "figure out what you really want". But figuring out what I really want has proved impossible so far.
I do feel "I have" desires and goals, but they all float in a kind of empty space somehow, abstractly, they don't feel like they are "mine" or that I have anything to do with them.
Its easy to idealize one's desires but its often quite difficult to pin point them (particularly if we are snowed under by normative descriptions, so one can only see what one should be rather than what one is). The general means to help us see ourselves is through the reflection of others (ie desire reveals its nature in company)

This is not funny.
sorry

I was just expressing that impersonalists do not usually conceive of their "way" culminating in personalism.

I've noticed, as usual, you just petered out after we went through you little check list.

Our senses are limmited. We can see only part of the expectrum of light, and a very limmited one. Insects see colors we will never be able to see because our brains are more limited in that sense than theirs. The same happens with sounds, smells, gravity,etc. Why assuming that jsut because our limited mind cannot sense a phenomena it definitelly does not exis?.

Again, do you believe in bacteria and viruses? do you believe in Oxigen? Carbon monoxide? Can you see them or sense them in any way? Only after special instruments were created,we were able to demonstrate their existence, right? So there are things in this world we cannot see or perceive yet it does not mean they do not exist.

I would have to differ here. An illusion has actual physicality (heat waves for example), its just that it has been mistaken for something other than what it is (thought to be water).

No, the illusion is the mistake - not the physicality. The illusion is in the mind where a pattern has been perhaps inappropriately recognized - at least tentatively.

Thus upon more detailed examination the illusion is dispelled.

The referrant didn't change, the mind did.

A delusion though is an false mental state which can be entirely subjective and thus have no actual referent, even a misapprehended one (like god).

God isn't a delusion to those who really believe in it. I don't of course, but I believe that "the mental landscape" that includes illusion and delusion is part of existence which I suppose makes it part of reality though not necessarily tangible.

All interpretations of reality are subjective. We can only agree or disagree and let reality sort out the rest. Optimally, each perspective provides maximal utility to itself. Hell I might even argue that maximal utility is automatic. Hmm.

Being able to create your own virtual reality is definitely cool beans.

Hellz yeah.

Well so then utility in another mind decrees that god is part of reality and that it's best to attempt to convert other minds to the same perspective - providing utility not only to itself, but to "the fold" - man that creeps me out! But regardless of the creepiness, it seems to be rather unavoidable to many.

Either I'm missing something or I can't agree that personal perspective has that sort of influence over the object perceived.

Uhm, you - in perceiving yourself - have significant influence over you I'd think.

So while I can't know exactly how meaningful something is to you, the importance you assign to it doesn't change the underlying reality.

Of course not, but the underlying reality is exactly meaningless. It just IS, nothing more. The act of perception starts a reaction of meaning to someone. With no perception, there is nothing meaningful at all and as such nothing that can be discussed.

You might think something is very important, so much so that you talk yourself into the deluded belief that it is out there. But that doesn't make it so if it isn't.

That doesn't make it so to whom? If I convince you we believe it - it IS to us, regardless of what other think and unless reality harshly contradicts us, there's not a lot of downside and possibly a lot of subjective upside. What IS is irrelevant compared to what is believed unless an illusion can be clearly dispelled to the point of "I guess I can't deny it" on the part of the former believer. The thing about the god concept in particular here is that there's no freakin way to undeniably contradict it. Fascinates the crap out of me.

Now I've already granted that complex patterns seem to be an emergent kind of "thing" which while dependent on the physical substrate, are also abstractable from one physical instance to another. Thus the pattern of the Mona Lisa is recognizable as such and can be implemented in various physical substrates (aka media).

Likewise I'm willing to grant god as such a pattern (aka the concept of god or idea of god) which finds its way into various physical substrates (minds, books, etc.)

Why does it do that?

But if you are proposing a kind of non physical object which has full independence from the physical substrate, I've no clue what or how that could be, but am interested in the explanation and pertinent examples.

Well I'm not sure anything is completely independent of anything else depending on the scope of perspective on the problem. What I do propose though is that there are non-physical objects that are part of my existence, whether they be tethered to something physical or not - they exist subjectively to me. Further, since everyone is me to them - I posit that the non-physical exists uniquely to everyone. Therefore, the non-physical is part of existence and part of reality.

I seem to have direct apprehension of self. How could it become merely a matter of faith?

:)

Why do you believe you? Unless you see yourself as the highest authority (sort of godlike perhaps), don't you question your own motives, even to the core of you? What evidence do you have that you're you? Can you prove it to someone who doesn't care who you are and doesn't care if you exist or don't?

I think the old descartes thing "I think therefore I am" is wrong. I think this statement is really an assumption "I am". I think all assumptions are equivalent to faith, so I toy with the terminology to explore it.

That must leave the world very confusing, but while you may have personally chosen that, it is not the accepted meaning of the word "knowledge." Knowledge is based on experience and reason to the exclusion of faith.

Do I seem "very confused" to you? And sorry but no - all knowledge is built upon the construct of self which is an assumption (albeit an apparently rather reliable one). As such, at its root - faith based.

That brings up an interesting side point.

I'm god. But how do I convince you? I change the sky blue for you and you say "but its always been blue." Well of course. To change the sky blue I destroyed the old universe, you and everything else, and then recreated this universe exactly the same except with a blue sky.

:) Of course this depends on the person needing convincing eh? Some are probably impervious to your efforts - whereas some crave what you offer.

Of course one must wonder if being recreated exactly the same as before is the same as actually being the same person as the one destroyed. And there is the ethical question of destroying an entire universe just to answer a trivial question for some one who may not exist any more. And finally its just a royal pain in the ass getting everything exactly the way is with a single point of difference. How many eternities should I spend on such a project when you won't be convinced any way?

An ethical question of the 'creature' that is all? Surely you jest! Lol.

Ah, but some people aren't just rationalizing behavior/experience and there are fruits to their labors of understanding and knowledge.

Says who? On what authority should I delineate who is and who isn't besides my own perspective? Because you and I might agree on someone else's delusion, should we thusly impose our will upon them? Should we steal their hope in crushing their delusion such that we are satisfied, while they may be devastated? Is that the "real" thing to do? Since you and I may be willing to sacrifice certain potential delusions for what we think of as "rationality", should we require that of all people, even though they may not be willing or capable? Of course not I'm sure you'll agree but perhaps find it irrelevant. Maybe you can see how I might find some relevance, or maybe I'm just deluded eh?

Last edited:

that show of mistakes is trying anything and everything except taking shelter of god

Sure.

But faith doesn't simply guarantee that one will not make mistakes on the spiritual path, or that one will "get it right" in the first try.

I think this is one of the bigger problems that many people have with any systematic approach to spirituality and theism. Although this problem is likely to be generated by 1. doubting that God is the controller of the Universe and the well-wisher and benefactor of all living beings, including oneself; and 2. the desire to derive some fame and recognition based on the choice of one's spiritual path ("I am a ...-ist, and therefore I know what I am talking about and you should all respect me, believe me and consider me to be better than yourself.")

My point is that to deem something as "false" or illusion, there must be some standard notion of truth.

If it was otherwise, there would be no question of illusion, merely a variety of choices of equal value

Yes. Somehow the obvious just doesn't seem so obvious ...

Basically it works in tandem to the degree that one has a substantial footing in god.

IOW a theoretical understanding of god grants a theoretical understanding about the nature of the world being temporary, etc etc

And then based on this theoretical understanding, one performs some activities that lead to more theoretical understanding and some realization, is it not so?

certainly

Even though it is common to say "People believe what they want to believe", I find this notion about how desire shapes "our world" hard to accept. It seems so relativistic somehow, as if if a belief came about out of desire, it is not actually true. But perhaps this has to do with my thinking that "reality"/ "truth" is objective, inanimate, impersonal.

I don't think the problem is so much the potential of physical damage but the anticipated social damage that freezes the wheel.

Having "mental health issues" is often a horrible stigma. Once people conclude or know that there is something wrong with with a person's "up there", many people start treating such a person as if he or she was a small child, in every way - cognitively, emotionally, socially, professionally, financially ...

i am simply suggesting that there are disadvantages (in the form of extra stress)

It is sometimes said that the single person has the single person's stress, the married person has the married person's stress, the teacher has the teacher's stress, the student has the student's stress ... It's all stressful ...

"its time to break out of tamas, so regardless of the million and one reasons a tamasic mind can produce for
staying in bed, its time to get up"

by developing a strong association with other modes, or even better suddha sattva.

Can I become thus convinced, at least to some degree, even by a sort of mechanical, ritualistic behavior?
In the sense that I "just do it" (chant, get up early, study scriptures etc.), without thinking about it much?
I know this probably sounds highly calculative and lazy. But my usual way is to think through each step of action through to its philosophical basis, and as Hamlet says, "the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, and enterprises of great pith and moment with this regard their currents turn awry, and lose the name of action."

I seem to feel the need to start "from scratch" each day; each day, I feel like I need to decide anew whether to try to be a devotee or not. As if I had some kind of amnesia about my practice where I would forget each day as it ends, and would need to, each morning, have someone or something else there to "brief me in", while I have little or no sense of continuity of my practice.
What am I missing here??

The general principle is that a person eager for spiritual advancement should gravitate towards whatever (suddha) sattvic opportunity presents itself more details there in the beginning of SB 11.13

I looked it up.

If you've ever encountered a person who is caught in the rift of substance abuse, you can know something about decreasing

I would say it is the mode of goodness that decreases in such a person? Also, in the case of progressive substance abuse, one thing I can see that decreases is the range of options that the person can realistically choose from and act on. With this decreasing of options comes a decreasing of individuality, as more and more of a person's life seems/becomes predetermined - and as such there is less and less they could immediately do about it.
The more there is entanglement in the modes, the more there is entanglement in karma, the more there is predetermination, the less there is room for free will, the less there is individuality -?

Basically whatever desire (even the desire for impersonalism) that inhibits KC can only be surmounted by an equal or greater desire.

Ordinarily this would make things hopeless (since desire is kind of like a horse that has long gone shot through the gate),

I think I know about this hopelessness! In Buddhism, one is supposed to basically generate karma that leads to the end of karma, it's about something like statistically counterbalancing karma. I had tried that for a while, but it was extremely frustrating.

but its the nature of KC that it can go on like a needle and come out like a pitchfork.

IOW just a little bit of the right thing at the right time has the potential to overwhelm us completely

At the risk of sounding rude - it better!

(maya also works on the same principle BTW)

I do know about this one, though.

So in practical terms, the answer is to keep as many KC channels open as possible. IOW occasions where one has the opportunity to attempt KC will eventually bear success. Similarly occasions where one has the opportunity to get into maya will eventually bear success. Hence the "do's" and "do nots" (yama and niyama) that surround any spiritual discipline.

Allright.

Its easy to idealize one's desires but its often quite difficult to pin point them (particularly if we are snowed under by normative descriptions, so one can only see what one should be rather than what one is). The general means to help us see ourselves is through the reflection of others (ie desire reveals its nature in company)

I have to admit I don't like Sciforums, but the situation here is unique and appealing somehow. Because there are the atheists and agnostics; there are the theists; there is me; and then we all communicate. I am noticing how this helps me triangulate things for myself that I don't think I would otherwise be able to. A really big part of posting here is noticing what goes on in my mind as I read and post, the attitudes and desires that come up. These things I usually don't directly write in posts, but I have begun to make notes of them privately or otherwise bring them into my arguments.

Discussing things only with theists is allright, but so much seems to go unnoticed then - and much of it seems important for someone like me who is somewhere between atheism and theism.

I was just expressing that impersonalists do not usually conceive of their "way" culminating in personalism.

No, they don't. But then again, I am not a standard impersonalist either.

Signal

Sure.
hence BG 2.40 etc

But faith doesn't simply guarantee that one will not make mistakes on the spiritual path, or that one will "get it right" in the first try.
but it is the first requirement for "trying", regardless whether the outcome is successful or ridden with mistakes.

IOW there is no scope for action without faith, and existence, by its very nature requires action (BG 3.5)
I think this is one of the bigger problems that many people have with any systematic approach to spirituality and theism. Although this problem is likely to be generated by 1. doubting that God is the controller of the Universe and the well-wisher and benefactor of all living beings, including oneself; and 2. the desire to derive some fame and recognition based on the choice of one's spiritual path ("I am a ...-ist, and therefore I know what I am talking about and you should all respect me, believe me and consider me to be better than yourself.")
I think its not so much the systems that gets people down but the object of systems (for instance people don't tend to have hang ups about systems geared up to provide what you outline).

I think the crux of the problem is that to really apply oneself to spiritual life one has to see that one is in illusion. Kind of like one can see that material life has no scope but at the same time, one cannot see the exact form of what one is approaching. IOW the material taste persists.

And then based on this theoretical understanding, one performs some activities that lead to more theoretical understanding and some realization, is it not so?
sure

hence a somewhat realized understanding about god grants a somewhat realized understanding about the nature of the ephemeral etc etc

certainly

Even though it is common to say "People believe what they want to believe", I find this notion about how desire shapes "our world" hard to accept. It seems so relativistic somehow, as if if a belief came about out of desire, it is not actually true. But perhaps this has to do with my thinking that "reality"/ "truth" is objective, inanimate, impersonal.
Its not so much that desire shapes the world, but rather, that desire shapes the perception of it (and at the core of our selves, or the soul, is perception). So in that sense, desire changes not the world but ourselves.

IOW even if one becomes 100% spiritual, the material world will continue on as it has always, but we will actually come to see it as it actually is (which, on good authority, is an energy of god.... as opposed to something meant for the living entity to eek out some sort of enjoyment)

Having "mental health issues" is often a horrible stigma. Once people conclude or know that there is something wrong with with a person's "up there", many people start treating such a person as if he or she was a small child, in every way - cognitively, emotionally, socially, professionally, financially ...
Given the nature of this world, just as well that its within god's job description to pick up the damaged goods

It is sometimes said that the single person has the single person's stress, the married person has the married person's stress, the teacher has the teacher's stress, the student has the student's stress ... It's all stressful ...
sure

hence any material designation is a source of stress and should simply be seen as a departure point for spiritual activities (the ol sva dharma vs sanatana dharma thing).

Varnashrama (the sva dharma scene) is simply about organizing things in such a way that this becomes easier.
IOW its meant to help address the issue of "I can't perform spiritual life because X,Y,Z is affecting me materially" as opposed to being the panacea of all stress (which is the more the business of sanatana dharma)

"its time to break out of tamas, so regardless of the million and one reasons a tamasic mind can produce for

staying in bed, its time to get up"

Can I become thus convinced, at least to some degree, even by a sort of mechanical, ritualistic behavior?
In the sense that I "just do it" (chant, get up early, study scriptures etc.), without thinking about it much?
I know this probably sounds highly calculative and lazy. But my usual way is to think through each step of action through to its philosophical basis, and as Hamlet says, "the native hue of resolution is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought, and enterprises of great pith and moment with this regard their currents turn awry, and lose the name of action."
mechanical devotional service (vaidhi bhakti) can take us a certain distance, but it is not perfectional. Kind of like on bad days, we can simply just do it, but if all of our days are "bad" then something is going wrong. Sort of like on bad days we can simply just eat food and get through the rigmarole of the daily grind, but generally we try to work towards a "taste" to make things eventful. In the same way, its by developing a taste that one begins the move off vaidhi bhakti ..... of course, knowing this, the mind can be duplicitous and pretend that one has a taste - "I want to be spiritually advanced and I know the spiritually advanced have taste for chanting so from now on I will chant 100 rounds a day and be spiritually advanced" is kind of like munching on cardboard while toting the rich bodied flavor.
I seem to feel the need to start "from scratch" each day; each day, I feel like I need to decide anew whether to try to be a devotee or not. As if I had some kind of amnesia about my practice where I would forget each day as it ends, and would need to, each morning, have someone or something else there to "brief me in", while I have little or no sense of continuity of my practice.
What am I missing here??
I'm not sure.

Perhaps a goal that is realistic to your nature and environment?

Generally the "briefing" comes about by repeated practice and life events that follow.

Retrospectively, I can recognize different "phases" I have gone through in spiritual life, so different goals (or even the absence or confusion about them) present themselves as the need requires.

I would say it is the mode of goodness that decreases in such a person?
and its the nature of the mode of goodness to provide a wider platform for existence.
Also, in the case of progressive substance abuse, one thing I can see that decreases is the range of options that the person can realistically choose from and act on. With this decreasing of options comes a decreasing of individuality, as more and more of a person's life seems/becomes predetermined - and as such there is less and less they could immediately do about it.
The more there is entanglement in the modes, the more there is entanglement in karma, the more there is predetermination, the less there is room for free will, the less there is individuality -?
Karmically speaking, tamas is down, rajas is sideways and sattva is up.

All however, are binding to material nature (hence 3 gunas), so suddha sattva is what actually stops the wheel spinning.

IOW the three gunas form part of the false ego ("I am hopeless/ambitious/benevolent") and suddha sattva ("I am a servant of god") breaks that.

Ordinarily this would make things hopeless (since desire is kind of like a horse that has long gone shot through the gate),

I think I know about this hopelessness! In Buddhism, one is supposed to basically generate karma that leads to the end of karma, it's about something like statistically counterbalancing karma. I had tried that for a while, but it was extremely frustrating.
Basically an act becomes problematic to the degree that it is divorced from the service of god

but its the nature of KC that it can go on like a needle and come out like a pitchfork.

IOW just a little bit of the right thing at the right time has the potential to overwhelm us completely

At the risk of sounding rude - it better!
hehe

(maya also works on the same principle BTW)

I do know about this one, though.

Both are energies of god (internal and external) and the living entity (the marginal) responds to them in the same fashion

I have to admit I don't like Sciforums, but the situation here is unique and appealing somehow. Because there are the atheists and agnostics; there are the theists; there is me; and then we all communicate. I am noticing how this helps me triangulate things for myself that I don't think I would otherwise be able to. A really big part of posting here is noticing what goes on in my mind as I read and post, the attitudes and desires that come up. These things I usually don't directly write in posts, but I have begun to make notes of them privately or otherwise bring them into my arguments.

Discussing things only with theists is allright, but so much seems to go unnoticed then - and much of it seems important for someone like me who is somewhere between atheism and theism.
Sure

There can be different elements at work that help us solidify desire into a decision (and once we have made a decision, our search is over, and then it simply becomes a question of practical application, as an atheist, theist or something in between)

I guess this is a good medium to sharpen one's axe on (either for or against), and perhaps a certain amount of axe grinding (ie jnana or philosophy) is necessary. However at the end of the day (at least as far as bhakti is concerned) jnana cannot deliver the goods. And that's where one requires a genuine KC opening (in the form of association)

No, they don't. But then again, I am not a standard impersonalist either.
Would you describe yourself as a personal impersonalist or an impersonal personalist?

Back