a non-physical thing

Ah, and you think reality is the judge...

Metaphorically. Reality works as it does and is as it is. If I think something blatently not so, it will not work in reality.

YOU are representative of YOUR perspective into reality.

So?

The circle of the venn diagram has "swarm" inside and "reality" outside.

I am in no way seperate from reality.

And who says what's sound?

Correspondence with what is actual in matters of reality and consistency and coherence if we are dealing with a formal system.

Then you are irrational. Checking your facts is how you know they are facts.

You can check them as many times as you like. Whatever you consider to be fact at that point will be to you. Facts however, are items stored in minds. Therefore, the fact will be that you think you have facts and your facts won't won't exist to someone else. IMO, this means you can only claim facts as your own - though they may well apply well enough if you relate them to someone else. Strictly speaking, IMO no one can rationally claim to know more than how things seem to them. I think it ethically wrong to claim otherwise as it's a fundamental truth in the relationship of a perspective to its environment.

The honest answer is to truthfully say I know when the reasonable requirements for knowing have been met and to be open to verification and correction as needed. Saying "this seems to be a cup and it seems to be on what seems to be a desk" is stupid and annoying, not honest.

It's implicit, but ignored in general (which is okay for almost every conversation, ever). Saying it is stupid or annoying has no bearing on its validity. I don't mind it being implicit, in fact I much prefer it because in practice it's generally a useless revelation. I think however in modelling the universe, it's imperative not to forget it - lest the uber-smug douchebaggery set in.

I don't deal in absolutes. Reasonably certainty is sufficient.

The words you use imply absoluteness. Reasonably certain is entirely the point. It's exactly sufficient because it has to be.

You sure seem to care. ;)

That I think you attacked me is enough. That's reasonably certain. Whether or not it's "really real" can't really be addressed, but again it's irrelevant. That I'm reasonably certain (or utterly convinced) is all that one base their shit on.

Fallibility is not a problem.

? fail -> evidence of problem, initiates re-evaluation or abortion.

That's why I stay in shape. But really you should expect getting smacked about taking this tact with either Buddhists or pragmatists. Anybody can talk a load of doubt. Show me doubt when there is a fist headed for your face.

Lol, do you really think you're talking to a child? I smell smug, and you're not really trying to understand what's being said.

Your complaints are really that our ability to capture things linguistically is limited ... well sure. But by those same limits you can't draw the conclusions you are drawing either if thing are as bad as you claim.

Yet I do, and reasonably... perhaps based upon what I've said you could derive a means by which rationality is maintained. Perhaps you don't care to try.

So I simply am offering the direct and traditional Zen test to see if your language and reality are reasonably matching. We could go with the pragmatist test, can you make better beer?, except I don't drink. :D

Lol, and yet people drink that nasty piss. Obviously they can make it better with their minds.

I thought that was my line?

Of course you did.

Almost all thinking happens after the fact. Thinking is really slow and most of it is just backfill to make you feel good about what already happened. Also you might consider that plants navigate reality just fine.

Agreed. It's nice that we often share opinions. Perhaps we should go bicker with the crazy bum who says plants are god or something. We can gang-outsmart him. Maybe we should just completely discount his perspective instead.

Milk comes solely from mammals.

Very knowledgeable, but wholly lacking in imagination. Do you have kids? Have you considered their perspective? They know milk comes from a cow once you tell them. While it came from the same place before that, how would it have been to them? Would you argue with them about it, especially when they don't understand what you're saying yet? Would it be better to not let them have any milk until you can take them to a farm and show them how it's made?

"Necessarily from perspectives which are necessarily subjective[/i ]" doesn't necessairly mean erroneous. Objective descriptions can be checked and known to be true or not.

Didn't say they were necessarily erroneous. They're just not absolute. More than one finding the same thing gives you popularity, not necessarily objectivity. Ether.

If I hand you a dead cat, its being dead is not just a subjective opinion.

What other kind of opinion is there, really?

That is what you are talking about. I'm talking about shaving off superfluous equvocation.

Of course you are, but I'm arguing that just because it annoys you only renders it superfluous in your understanding of reality. It doesn't mean it actually is, eh? Or does it? It seem you argue the latter. Your razor doesn't slice away the doubt you readily admit, and that doubt has philosophical consequences as I see it - leading to broader realizations. It annoys you though so you slice it. Much like your bashing fantasies, hmm.

Understanding is understanding of something.

Brilliant.

Notice the contradiction from sentence 1 to sentence 2.

I don't deal in absolutes. Reasonably certainty is sufficient.

If it is not a contradiction, there will be an infinite regress defending the second sentence.

This problem would also hold for sentences like....
Checking your facts is how you know they are facts

Fallibility is not a problem.

If I hand you a dead cat, its being dead is not just a subjective opinion.

if they were sentence 2.

To some degree the shift in absolutes is one level of abstraction outward. Or to put it another way, the absolutes are epistemological rather than fact-related. But he is still 'dealing in absolutes.'

Not only facts fall under skepticism around certainty but epistemological positions do as well.

The gnarly addition with epistemological assertions is that once you leave them uncertain, which one must to be consistant, then you get regresses, because your meta-epistemological processes, assertions, methods of checking are also uncertain. How does one add up all those decimal points? I would say, people do it intuitively.

You cannot avoid certainty and dealing in absolutes.

Even plants indicate absolute choices.

You can check them as many times as you like. Whatever you consider to be fact at that point will be to you.

You are trying to pretend you are wholly distinct and disconnected from anything else.

The words you use imply absoluteness. Reasonably certain is entirely the point. It's exactly sufficient because it has to be.

I use the words which appropriately convey the meaning. Endless equivocation to try and cover the most remote uncertainty is your thing.

That I think you attacked me is enough.

I can hardly be expected to care about your subjective musings. Of course an actual slight would be another story and if it seemed unwarranted perhaps due an apology.

Lol, do you really think you're talking to a child? I smell smug, and you're not really trying to understand what's being said.

You should bath then. I'm understanding just fine. I find your doubt wholly unconvincing.

Very knowledgeable, but wholly lacking in imagination. Do you have kids? Have you considered their perspective? They know milk comes from a cow once you tell them.

Actually milk comes from mammals, not just cows. The two older ones have seen milk come from mom to feed the youngest and the oldest has pulled milk from a cow's tit. They've seen other animals nursing and lactating including a platypus.

Their perspective is just the opposite of yours. Ice cream in your hand is as real as it gets and very knowable.

Notice the contradiction from sentence 1 to sentence 2.

Nope. You should be more explicit.

If it is not a contradiction, there will be an infinite regress defending the second sentence.

You seem to be missing the word "sufficient." There is no infinite regress because of this.

But he is still 'dealing in absolutes.'

No, you are interpreting in terms of absolutes.

The gnarly addition with epistemological assertions is that once you leave them uncertain, which one must to be consistant, then you get regresses, because your meta-epistemological processes, assertions, methods of checking are also uncertain.

Actually none of that is an issue. I've no need to endlessly consider if the cat is really, really, really, really dead. The prima facie evidence is sufficient in a single pass. Ah, the joy of an actual reality.

On more tricky issues where the uncertainty is greater, then one invokes error correction as needed. For example there is no need to be absolutely right about the directions to a particular place ahead of time. One can re-evaluate and correct as needed.

You cannot avoid certainty and dealing in absolutes.

Sure I can, and do. It just will make you uncomfortable.

You seem to be missing the word "sufficient." There is no infinite regress because of this.
The sentence makes a universal claim. Unless you meant, it is suffienct for you. Which is of course radically subjective, but very hard to argue with. You are probably right about yourself on such an issue. But it came across as being an epistemological assertion, and one without qualification.

And so it was with the other quotes.

Sure I can, and do. It just will make you uncomfortable.
A psychic claim? Are you certain about this? If not, why say it in unqualified terms?

Only in as much as you are trying to make it a universal claim.
Well, I offered a way it might not be a universal claim. But you did not comment on that. If you meant it was sufficient for you, I cannot but accept the claim, though I may find ways you move from what is suffient for you to universal claims. For example the following sentence...

I mean sufficient for its use.
sounds universal, again.

An observation on your reactions so far.
And again you are only partially responding. Are you certain about this? I think there are universal claims which you have used to deduce my (non-existent) uncomfortableness, which, of course, you cannot observe - unless you are a hacker and are now surveilling me. There is a reason ad homs are generally disapproved of in philosophical discourse. It is not so that everyone plays nice - since you can even have positive ad homs - but because they are distracting and epistemologically dubious.

Back