A letter to God

hee's some thoughts on SACRIFICE.......i am attracted to the theory of Dan Russell in his book Shamanism and the Drug Propaganda where he says how the 'scapegoat' became the communal sacrifice......That, the ORIGINAL communal
sacrifice was the group's errrm rigidity if you will. that partaking of the tribes "Totem Plant" a hallucingenic plant affodred communal release of emotion, and thus a renewal or rebirth via ecstaic release........
Soon this freedom was suppressed by the prevailing authorities, by whateve means, and that actual direct experience was probibited, what replaced it was the 'gift-sacrifice.--in ancient Greece it was the patriarchal-pagan Olympians who prmoted this idea. NOW it wasn't actual felt experience but the gift to a distant god--a sacrifice

obviously this idea is very prominent in our religion, Christianity. the central motif is of 'God's 'Son' having to be 'sacrificed' so as we may be forgiven of our sins

important note!! see how that the direct experience of 'sacrifice'...group release of emotion has been replaced by disassociative symbolic sacrifice. so now we must believe that some dude crucified in the middle east generations and gnerations before we were even born has some connection with our 'sins'

mythologically in earth religious paganism then, the Sacrifice was of the Goddess' 'son/lover/phallic mushroom' which you take from th Earth, chew it, ingest it, he rises and you are 'born again'...as is Nature, symbiotically

dont just accept or reject what i am saying. explore it

...would just like to add from my above post. where i jumoed from group emotion to 'gift sacrifice'....i missed out the term 'scapegoat'....ie., gift-scarifice fits in with that. but i want to emphasize scapegaot because it is very important to consider. that action is very prominent in all aspects of life, where A person or persons are rejected by A group for whatever reasons so as to feel that doing to will somehow reliven the group...as in gettin rid of 'evil'. Think of Nazi Germany!

Jenyar said:
Now the difficult (and unanswerable) question is: what turns an innocent human being, whether an infant or adult, into a sinner? Peer pressure? What pressures their peers, their society, their race, their humanity?

This question has been perplexing me too, and I will be so bold as to attempt an answer:

You know when we spoke of Game Theory, of parametric and strategic environments?

Many situations, and almost all social situations that we face in life are strategic environments. Once in a strategic environment, these inter-relations apply:

1. The reward for each agent depends on the reward for all agents, thorough envy, altruism ...
2. The reward for each agent depends on the acting of all agents, through general social causality.
3. The acting of each agent depends on the acting of all agents, because of geeral social causality.
+ 4. The wishes of each agent depend on the acting of all agents.

In this regard, sinful actions seem to be inevitable.

However, how did it first come to the inter-relations described in 1, 2, 3 and 4?

They seem to be an inevitable consequence of being a rational agent.

A rational agent thinks: "I consider myself a rational agent. By what I have seen so far from other agents, it is only rational to consider them rational too. If I have a certain information, it is likely that they can have it too, or they could obtain the way I have obtained it. Survival is a matter of having more information, more resources, better options than other agents. This means that if I wish to survive and be ahead of you, I must withhold certain things from you, lest you should get ahead of me. I cannot afford to be cooperative; I can afford to be cooperative only to a limited extent that ensures that I will get from you what I want, and in return not make you want to hurt me. (I could simply steal from you, but then I'd have to live in fear that you'd come and steal from me -- for if I can steal from you, and I am rational and consider you rational, then I must consider the option that you would steal from me as fully valid.)"

-- This would explain the above-mentioned inter-relations, and thus, how innocence becomes lost.

pavlosmarcos said:
A letter to God

God? Are You there? I know a great deal about You. I've read the bible three or four times cover to cover. I'm aware that You're omniscient and omnipotent so therefore You are surely aware that I'm an atheist and I don't believe in You. It's not that I'm positive that You don't exist, it's just that I'm not positive that You do, or that the bible is correct. I'm not sure if the bible is meant to be interpreted literally or figuratively and neither is anyone else. If it's interpreted literally, then Your chances of being real are right up there with hitting the lottery in every state, every week, for ten years in a row. Being an omniscient god, I'm sure You already knew that.

If there is a god/creator, then the more reasonable thing that comes to mind is that You are there, but just don't care. You can not possibly care about humanity in the slightest. And... why would You care about humanity? Why would an all powerful deity who sits amongst and amidst the heavens need little pets, much less actually create the universe for the purpose of having such little pets? Little pets who live and die so quickly must be annoying as gnats to You.

It's just not possible that You, who spans the universe and is beyond time would need saccharine adorations mouthed through frightened lips and from bended knees to satiate some insecurity based need for approval from we, Your imperfect creations, which You perfectly created to be imperfect. But, I digress. Being omniscient, I'm sure You already know this, oh Lord.

I would look to Your church leaders for guidance Lord, but they aren't exactly doing a very good job of representing You. They're hateful and angry and strike out against anyone who doesn't believe the same way they do. I'm sure you've seen the countless people they have killed in Your name over the last few thousand years.

Lord, now they're even killing abortion doctors. I don't know what to think, Lord. I know that Romans 13 says to be loyal to the government because it only exists because it's Your will. That means we should obey the laws and the laws say abortion is legal but killing abortion doctors isn't. I know that the ten commandments say "Thou shalt not kill." I also know that to punish some people in the past You have sent Your people to destroy them and "cut open the bellies of the pregnant women" so I'm confused as to who to believe on this. Some of Your preachers say abortion should be legal and some say we should kill the abortion doctors.

I need advice on so many things, Lord. I know the bible says You're a loving God, but I'm confused. Please help me. I don't understand why You created people the way You did even though, according to the bible, at least 75% of the world's population will be going to hell. Lord, there are hundreds of millions of people who "claim" to be Christians in the world and about six billion people total in the world. Why would You create five billion people on the earth today just to send them to hell? You knew ahead of time that they would go to hell, so if You're loving why did You make them like that in the first place?

As I said, I have tried to consult Your representatives here on earth, but they could only offer "free will" as an explanation. They say people have a choice and people pay the penalty for making the wrong choices. I'm sure, being all knowing, that You can see what a helpless bit of information that is. Clearly if You are all knowing then You know ahead of time what will happen to each of us, and You could change it, but You don't. Obviously we can't change it because You made us the way You did and gave us the challenges and experiences that You did, knowing ahead of time exactly what we would do and what the repercussions of those actions would be. Free will for a person created by an all knowing and all powerful deity is, quite frankly, impossible, as I'm sure You know.

I have so many questions, Lord. I try to talk to your religious leaders here, but they seem so confused. Some have even posted women as Preachers, Lord. Can You believe it? In Your bible Corinthians clearly states "The women should keep silence in the churches...For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church". Timothy also says "Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or have authority over men; she is to keep silent". These modern preachers say that slavery is wrong, but I know the bible allows slavery as a completely normal activity and even lays down some ground rules for how to buy and sell slaves as well as disciplining them. Who am I to believe, Lord?

Am I to believe Adam and Eve and the seven day creation literally or figuratively? Did You actually create the world in 7 of our days, or was it millions of years which seem like mere days to You? All of Your leaders here are in contention, so who do I believe?

I'm lost, Lord. I'm lost. I am going to be tormented in hellfire forever. I don't mean to offend You. I simply don't understand. I don't know who to believe. I'm confused, Lord. Please take just one moment out of infinite time and save my soul. I beg of You. Show me the truth. Just speak to me. Tap me on the shoulder and tell me "This is the way to salvation, My son". I beg of You, Lord. Please help me. What would it take for You to send a clear message? Nobody agrees on what the bible means, so please, You're all powerful and all knowing, please send us something more tangible and save billions of souls from going to hell. Please, Lord? Please? I don't want to go to hell. Please show yourself.

Love, Me
pavlosmarcos, what did you have in mind when you wrote this?

I want to believe that you want to be saved. But if what you had in mind is some kind of sarcasm against God, then you aren't honest and I think it's very distasteful if it is in fact sarcasm.

Did you write this letter with good intentions towards yourself and God?

cyperium:
if you read the first page of this thread pavlos answers that question. with three new posts.
and btw it's far from distasteful it quite humourous.

pavlosmarcos, very good, very well written and very well argued post. But do yourself a favour and don't denigrate the point of view expressed by the word "sarcasm". Sarcasm is flip, uncaring of contrary views, and cynical. I did not see your plea to be saved as sincere per se, but the fact that it is an important philosophical point raises it above the level of sarcasm, in my humble.

Jenyar you too are an excellent writer and clearly a compassionate and understanding teacher. However, I feel constrained to point out that the point of pavlosmarcos's letter (or one of the points) is to highlight the fact that your humane interpretation of Christian dogma is only one such interpretation; that many of those who consider themselves fellow Christians with you follow those interpretations (for all your characterisation of them as false and sinful prophets) and would consider you to be in error and consequently consigned to hell. I agree with you about those religious leaders, but if there is a God, how do we know we are right about them? There is sufficient material in the Bible to justify their position as there is to justify yours.

I don't think pavlosmarcos's other major point has been sufficiently addressed in this thread, which is the fact that according to Christian dogma, the vast majority of the human population are condemned to hell, by dint of not having accepted the Christ into their lives. A very great number could not possibly have the opportunity of so doing, even if every single practicing Christian alive were to become a missionary. Does God really hate the majority of His creation so much?

According to Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey the proportion of dead human beings to live ones (in 1968 approximately 3.5 billion) was 30 to 1, giving a global, all-time population of Homo Sapiens on this planet of approximately 100 billion all-told. The proportion of "saved" souls then becomes an inconceivably tiny proportion of the total of all people, living and dead. How do you reconcile this with an all-Merciful God? I'm sure you've answered that question already, but what if your interpretation of God is not the right one?

Personally, I have no justification for believing in a vengeful, hateful God; but neither do I have a justification for believing in an all-Merciful God. If everyone is in heaven, what was the point of Jesus, after all?

I follow the path that the miracle of creation is revealed to us by the rational application of the human-invented method of science; and the more that is discovered by science, the tinier and tinier becomes the signficance of us poor human beings, far smaller than ants on the Universal scale. It is therefore my belief that God is a concept created by those micro-ants in order to make them feel a little more in control of their infinitesimal acreage within Creation.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
The best advice is to see what kind of literature you're reading. A song will be different than a poem, and a poem will be different than an epistle, or a law, or a prophecy or an apocalyptic vision. Or did you think the literature of the Bible was all of a kind?

First of all, Christians cannot even decide "what kind of literature" they are reading.

Second, we're right back where we started. This thread was posted by someone who is looking for truth and not finding it, or rather, he is finding that everyone's "truth" is really so much interpretation. You have simply offered another interpretation -- so did slave owners who made the Bible into a pro-slavery pamphlet. And this is a fundamental problem inherent to all religion: the undecidability of interpretation.

And yes, the matter of literal/figurative is vastly important when interpreting religious texts. The Bible speaks of Hell, for instance. Well, what if that was a figurative vision of what a tormented conscience looks like and not anything we will really experience in the afterlife?

You seem to be implying that, in religion, we should suspend the matter of literal/figurativeness and just concentrate on what it tells us to do. In other words, it doesn't matter what Hell is -- it's bad and God says you don't want to end up there. 'Nuff said. Well, to cast the idea in modern terms, what if the "weapons of mass destruction" aren't there? Should we just blindly believe an argument because of its supposed source?

Consider the idea of two different interpretations of Hitler:

1. When Hitler said he wished to eliminate the Jews, he was in fact referring to "Jewishness," which he interpreted as the negative qualities oftentimes attributed to Jews. He merely wanted to "exterminate" these bad qualities and replace them with good ones.

2. Hitler really wanted to kill Jews.

If we are to "believe" a text, it must be examined for credibility, and so the matter of whether or not the slaughter of unbelievers depicted in the Bible was in fact real and ordered by God or a perversion of God's will is important. It would mean the difference between believing in a God of sacrifices and violence versus believing in a God of peace whose message has been distorted.

Relevant to our discussion about literal or figurative: in a very literal way, sacrifices were man's realization that they were in the wrong with God, and that something needed to be done. As you know, this realization was by no means confined to the Israelites. In fact, they had a rather simple (not to mention forgiving) sacrificial system compared to some cultures. They forbade human sarifice - which is the extent to which it was applied by almost every nation around them. They had faith that their could be a mediator, a scapegoat, that could carry their sins away and somehow restore their relationship with God. It was this intention that God encouraged, but also guided, with laws (which were also just a "shadow" of knowing what is required).

So, let me condense this. You believe God never truly needed or required sacrifices, but man created the idea anyway after his realization that he had sinned and needed to atone. But rather than tell these well-intentioned people that those types of sacrifices (animals, food, etc.) were unneccessary, God chose to not only allow the essentially pointless (however well-intentioned) sacrifices to continue but, in fact, went so far as to encourage them and codify the idea into law.

This is patently ridiculous. Why not inform people that their intentions are noble but misdirected? Why allow and encourage them to fritter away their livestock in some misguided attempt to win his favor?

Suppose, when you were a kid, that you started going out and randomly murdering neighborhood cats in order to please your parents. While your parents might have been happy that you so wanted to please them, would they not have taken you aside and said, "Look, son. There are other ways of showing us you love us. Leave Miffy alone..."?

Also, the fact that the Israelites sacrificed fewer organisms than others at the time is irrelevant; the point is: they made sacrifices and they said God wanted it that way. You make it sound as if only sacrificing animals and barring human sacrifice (neverminding that the entire religion is based on the crucial sacrifice of one carpenter who lived 2000 years ago) represented some great cultural step forward. This is similar to your previous apologetic arguments for Biblical slavery (i.e., sure, the Israelites had slaves, but they treated them much better than many other cultures). Well, whoopty-freakin'-do, my friend. Twist it any way you like: the Israelites engaged in exactly the same ritualistic, superstitious behavior their neighbors did.

Last edited:
Yo Jenyar,

Thanks brother.

Quote:
"He was already almost halfway through his public ministry, and had already faced outright rejection of his miracles and claims. He would no longer speak openly, in detail, plainly, and directly, because they took offense at his open, plain, and blunt words."

You are saying God cannot make himself understood?

Quote Jenyar:
"The God of Israel was just another "primitive god" among many, an essentialyl unknown, before He chose a bloodline (or a "faith-line" of righteousness) that would truly lead to Him and no other."

Is this the same god who is Jesus, and the same god who Christians pray to today? If yes, the fact remains that an omnipotent being requires burnt meat to appease his sense of importance. (Isaac was almost an offering) If the Christian god is the alpha and the omega, a neverchanging, timeless deity, my question still remains. The fact that human culture and customs change with time is irrelavant to an omnipotent being and his actions.

There is a deep dilemma in the morality and integrity of the Christian faith. And I think it is called the "Old Testament". Whatever the tangent or direction of the faith we should consider or focus on, the OT is a thorn in the side of an acceptable morality and code of conduct. Specifically when the god of the OT flouts the very commandments he has given mankind. Not a good example.

Allcare.

Allcare.

There is a deep dilemma in the morality and integrity of the Christian faith. And I think it is called the "Old Testament". Whatever the tangent or direction of the faith we should consider or focus on, the OT is a thorn in the side of an acceptable morality and code of conduct. Specifically when the god of the OT flouts the very commandments he has given mankind. Not a good example.

I personally don't find the NT lacking in thorns of its own, and there is a great deal of wisdom and beauty in the OT which shouldn't be dismissed for its unflinchingly honest picture of God and of Man's relationship to God (if she has one). Particularly as it's still the main text for a major religion.

stretched said:
You are saying God cannot make himself understood?
I'll just repeat what Jesus said:
"If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains." (John 9:41)​
To understand is to see. But if you are limited to seeing with your eyes, your heart remains blind.

Is this the same god who is Jesus, and the same god who Christians pray to today? If yes, the fact remains that an omnipotent being requires burnt meat to appease his sense of importance. (Isaac was almost an offering) If the Christian god is the alpha and the omega, a neverchanging, timeless deity, my question still remains. The fact that human culture and customs change with time is irrelavant to an omnipotent being and his actions.
You seem to have the strange idea that we are reading about things and ways of God. The fact is people were bringing sacrifices left, right and centre, to gods heard and unheard of. But one nation realized that God's actual acceptance of them was what drove the ritual, and so it evolved. One nation realized God accepted the sacrifice not for the sake of sacrifice, but for the difference between Cain and Abel. That their relationship with each other and with God was an integral part of the understanding of sacrifice, not the meat or the blood - they were only intuitively understood. The shedding of blood required the shedding of blood (accoring to the principles of justice), and all sin is in essence the shedding of blood.

What God required was obedience - for the sake of our lives - and what He provided was a way of restoring the relationship, but a specific relationship. That way even our most sinful and basic human expressions of obedience could be redemptive. For the time being.

When a kid falls into the swimming pool, you don't wonder why he remained wet all the way up, even if the person who saved him was supposed to represent "dryness". Don't ever forget that we are talking about an earth who had become estranged from God, and where making their way back from within that exile.

What we do and understand (parallel to Israel's life), and who God is, represents, and ultimate expects - are worlds apart. What we are reading is the rescue of a people who would ultimately represent mankind's return from exile. The artificial morality of legalism is not only problematic in Christianity, but in all cultures. Do you think laws represent perfection? They represent compensation for lack of perfection. The OT is no more problematic than whatever alternative you represent.

The high chair from which you call down your exalted standards of "acceptibility" is a throne on which many people had sitten before you. It is the chair on wich the prophets and kings who directed Israel's religion sat, and which ultimately belongs to God. It's the final clause you deny, isn't it?

Just a quick note to Silas, before I answer the other questions:
Silas said:
...your humane interpretation of Christian dogma is only one such interpretation; that many of those who consider themselves fellow Christians with you follow those interpretations (for all your characterisation of them as false and sinful prophets) and would consider you to be in error and consequently consigned to hell. I agree with you about those religious leaders, but if there is a God, how do we know we are right about them? There is sufficient material in the Bible to justify their position as there is to justify yours.
Honest interpretation is not such a broad license as you make it out. The Bible isn't a free for all, it emphasizes that we are all in the wrong (which is another popular critique on it - I wonder why the two sides never meet somewhere else). What people are still bickering about is how far on the way to righteousness they think they are, and how much faith they had to get there. No wonder Christianity gets ridiculed.

You call mine a "humane interpretation". But just by saying that, "humane", you admit that you know what I'm talking about. You know I'm talking about a humanity that many people seem to mis"interpret", Christian or atheist in spite. How do you interpret God's command to love the foreigner and the exile (from the OT, by the way)? Or Christ's words that even the strict laws for a conservative society are grossly insufficient. Do you know of any laws that enforce injustice? I do. Does that make them "just another interpretation".

It's to people who know the difference between good and evil that God spoke. They were called the "righteous" and "saved by faith" long before Judaism or Christianity came to be.

Silas said:
I don't think pavlosmarcos's other major point has been sufficiently addressed in this thread, which is the fact that according to Christian dogma, the vast majority of the human population are condemned to hell, by dint of not having accepted the Christ into their lives. A very great number could not possibly have the opportunity of so doing, even if every single practicing Christian alive were to become a missionary. Does God really hate the majority of His creation so much?
Christian dogma makes no mention of how many people go oe went to hell. It can't. God, and Jesus, however, mentioned that quite a few people are unwilling to let their lives be regulated in such a way that would permit a relationship with Him, one which could be redeemed and granted eternal life. Which He gives to all who follow Him. If you have some other source for righteousness and life in mind, feel free to persue it. But it will probably not give life to others, which is what righteousness is all about.

Christ was the principle of faith, who became the reality of faith. Abraham certainly did not believe in Jesus, but He had faith in God and an eternal relationship with Him.

Don't worry about the "lost souls of Africa", whoever those might be. Worry about the people you can reach and people you are in contact with everyday. They are your neighbour. Love them, and you'll be surprised who they thank.

Pavlos, I found your letter to God rather profound even if couched in sarcasm.

Say we just put the good book down for a moment and think a little about it with out reference to it.

The religious arguement invariably makes for the contention that God is irrational.

The arguement that God cannot act in a way that would be deemed sane and reasonable, that God is only capable of cryptic messages and signs. That God can not declare his existence in a real and rational way. In a way that mose rational persons would deem as rational and sane.

They suggest that a rational person is supposed to take Gods existence only on faith and not proof that would be clear and uncontestable.

That God is incapable of proper thought and reason.

That is the God that is worshiped.

If the god they worshiped was indeed omni rational and reasonable and capable of reasoning as you would expect from any omni intelligence, your letter indeed is justified.

If indeed God read your letter he would I think agree that the God that is worshiped is indeed not he.

For to be that God he would have to be irrational and insane, by expecting people to believe only on faith and not sound reasoning.

This whole discussion is based on the religious premise that God is incapable of sound reasoning.

You may argue that if God was indeed super rational that he would have a purpose behind his silence, his supposed "non- existence"

And maybe just one simple factor keeps him away and that is simply his respect for the free will and self determination that he values so much in himself and wants so much for us to acheive.

Freedom from superstition and fear of that which is him.

Freedom from irrational violence, irrational behaviours and irrational beliefs.

Maybe God is just sitting there waiting for his creation to mature enough for him to make his presence felt with out ruining all the good work that he has done.

Maybe Gods greatest challenge is not to interfere with the evolution of his creation. Omni self restraint..........

JustARide said:
First of all, Christians cannot even decide "what kind of literature" they are reading.
That's a very broad statement, you know that. And not very helpful. You can't force us to believe we're reading fairy tale you know.

Second, we're right back where we started. This thread was posted by someone who is looking for truth and not finding it, or rather, he is finding that everyone's "truth" is really so much interpretation. You have simply offered another interpretation -- so did slave owners who made the Bible into a pro-slavery pamphlet. And this is a fundamental problem inherent to all religion: the undecidability of interpretation.
He wasn't looking for the truth, by his own admission. He was making fun of some interpretations of the truth, feigning sincerity. What he found was his own interpretation, closed for discussion. Like people who wished to justify slavery or racism closed their interpretation and labeled it right.

Nothing in the Bible or outside it can be justified on the authority of interpretation alone. Interpretation is a tool for discussion and a step on the road to greater and common understanding, or it is useless and serves only the individual. Likewise, any interpretation that tries to lessen the significance of greater principles isn't worth considering. Like trying to use the Bible to justify a purely symbolic God, or a practically inane Christ.

And yes, the matter of literal/figurative is vastly important when interpreting religious texts. The Bible speaks of Hell, for instance. Well, what if that was a figurative vision of what a tormented conscience looks like and not anything we will really experience in the afterlife?
Then it's still not eternal life with God is it? You could water it down orspice it up any way you like, the question isn't whether it's really literal or really symbolic, but really real. God created it for the instigators and propagators of sin, and unless you can somehow manage to make evils like injustice, immorality and deceit not explicitly sinful (I know some try to justify their lifestyles this way), it is a sufficient description of judgment. Judgment is not nice, it's not somewhere people deserve to go or wish to go. But it's a requirement for justice not to also be just a figure of speech, a doctrine designed to scare childen into washing behind their ears and keep the essentially honest world under minority control.

You seem to be implying that, in religion, we should suspend the matter of literal/figurativeness and just concentrate on what it tells us to do. In other words, it doesn't matter what Hell is -- it's bad and God says you don't want to end up there. 'Nuff said. Well, to cast the idea in modern terms, what if the "weapons of mass destruction" aren't there? Should we just blindly believe an argument because of its supposed source?
Weapons of mass destruction threatens our existence and our lives. But they present no worse reality than death, which many people believe shouldn't be threatening at all, since it's only natural. But your life isn't the figment of someone's imagination, and death isn't a jsut pleasant companion to life. God made sure death or hell would not have be real threat to anyone; He provided life and continues to do so. It leaves us to concern ourselves with the details of being alive and sharing life, without constantly being at defcon 1 shouting "every man for himself!"

Consider the idea of two different interpretations of Hitler:

1. When Hitler said he wished to eliminate the Jews, he was in fact referring to "Jewishness," which he interpreted as the negative qualities oftentimes attributed to Jews. He merely wanted to "exterminate" these bad qualities and replace them with good ones.

2. Hitler really wanted to kill Jews.
"1" is more threatening, since nobody could really measure "Jewishness" and I suspect everybody would feel they have some in them. It would become really important to find out whether he meant exterminate in a literal sense (he was after all influenced by eugenics), or just that he would institute a system of government that would educate people and discourage those qualities. Fortunately, he only meant "2", since we're not Jewish. Fortunately? Would you have praised Hitler for enforcing his ideas "humanely" on everybody, instead of picking out the Jews? Evil is evil, literally and figuratively.

If we are to "believe" a text, it must be examined for credibility, and so the matter of whether or not the slaughter of unbelievers depicted in the Bible was in fact real and ordered by God or a perversion of God's will is important. It would mean the difference between believing in a God of sacrifices and violence versus believing in a God of peace whose message has been distorted.
First you would establish why the slaughter was carried out, where the authority came from and why it was considered "just" (coming from a just God) or injust (sin against a just God). Certainly nobody was killed for being an unbeliever. If anything, all the Israelites ever did with unbelievers is flee frm them. The Amalekites were killed for being and promoting a murderous, thieving, terrorist society. Israel were in much the same position as America after September 11. Strike and show the power that was behind them, show bin Laden who he was dealing with, or turn the other cheek and let innocent people live in fear. Now people wonder whether America is a land of freedom or a land of justice, when it claims to be both. What did America have to sacrifice for its freedom? Does that make its people inherently violent, or inherently fearful?

You make it sound like an easy decision. Bush would have been blamed either way. Well, Israel waited 400 years to deal the final blow of a warning that was given by God himself. Not against their unbelief, but against their sin. They gained their freedom against all odds and wished to carry it to a land of their own - a promised land. This wasn't a figure of speech, and their God wasn't a figurative God.

So, let me condense this. You believe God never truly needed or required sacrifices, but man created the idea anyway after his realization that he had sinned and needed to atone. But rather than tell these well-intentioned people that those types of sacrifices (animals, food, etc.) were unneccessary, God chose to not only allow the essentially pointless (however well-intentioned) sacrifices to continue but, in fact, went so far as to encourage them and codify the idea into law.
Their intentions weren't that good most of the time, and even when they were (like when they gave thanks to Baal at the foot of Mt Horeb), they were more often wrong that not. Let's see if you understand "God's needs" as well as you say. Can someone be justly forgiven while they refuse to acknowledge guilt? Even if they were forgiven, wouldn't their refusal imply that forgiveness is not what they seek, but justification for their crimes? Can justice justify crime? Why should God? I think it says much more about God's forgiveness that He would accept an animal or grain offering - things He provided himself - instead of the life of every person guilty of sin, when that is what justice requires. Punishment could be a temporary measure, but even that won't be popular. Instead, God cut laws out of hearts of stone, cutting away the sin little by little, so that there would be less and less to atone for. But to cut out sin by the roots would require their whole lives, just like perfection requires a whole life. And He anointed a king of their own to judge over them, permitted a sanctuary to represent his presence, chose Levites to approach Him with the sins of many, and taught them how to survive before they could thrive.

God gave a concrete framework that would accompany his covenants and promises. Not because He required such a framework, but because the very ideas of creation, justice, and love are based on conditions He embodies. How these conditions are expressed by people is a human thing, but they are no less indicative of what was truly required. The expression of them is no less necessary, they still serve as indications to measure ourselves by - for others to measure what we can really only measure ourselves. They serve to make our sins public, so we can deal with them in the open, rather than have God deal with them when we have gotten attached to them.

This is patently ridiculous. Why not inform people that their intentions are noble but misdirected? Why allow and encourage them to fritter away their livestock in some misguided attempt to win his favor?
A tenth is always a tenth, whether you have thousands or just 10. The best tenth, the firstfruits of what came from God in the first place. They already had his favour. That point was not to take God or their lives for granted. When they started straying from Him, they didn't bring more sacrifices to restore the relationship, they gave them to other gods! That was the sin: when their intentions were misdirected - at themselves and at other gods.

Suppose, when you were a kid, that you started going out and randomly murdering neighborhood cats in order to please your parents. While your parents might have been happy that you so wanted to please them, would they not have taken you aside and said, "Look, son. There are other ways of showing us you love us. Leave Miffy alone..."?
Sure, but we're not talking about a bunch of kids. We're talking about complex people like you and me, adults, hardened men and women who made a living off the desert. Unless you mean by "cats" your livelihood and subsistance, it wasn't the same thing. Nations take longer to learn, and it seems humanity might take forever to learn. Even after God took them aside asd said "Look, children. I haven't been hard to please, I've looked for every excuse to show you my love, and enable you to approach me without fear of judgment, but that has only made you more determined to do only what you want, and less willing to be obedient to the little I required".

Also, the fact that the Israelites sacrificed fewer organisms than others at the time is irrelevant; the point is: they made sacrifices and they said God wanted it that way. You make it sound as if only sacrificing animals and barring human sacrifice (neverminding that the entire religion is based on the crucial sacrifice of one carpenter who lived 2000 years ago) represented some great cultural step forward. This is similar to your previous apologetic arguments for Biblical slavery (i.e., sure, the Israelites had slaves, but they treated them much better than many other cultures). Well, whoopty-freakin'-do, my friend. Twist it any way you like: the Israelites engaged in exactly the same ritualistic, superstitious behavior their neighbors did.
[/quote]
And I never denied that. Israel wasn't the only nation to make any progress either. That's not what made them or their laws special. It was that God enforced them, and had a relationship with Israel in particular that had bearing on more than just their needs. Christ wasn't a human sacrifice in a religious symbolical sense, he was one in the real sense. Someone who laid down his life to give it to countless others. The only solution for sins that could be final, more final even than death or judgment itself, which was the point.

You can't wish away sin, especially not the whole human history of sin. It has no elegant solutions or quick fixes. What we see in Israel is not a shining example of perfect laws - there's no such thing. If it wasn't slavery, sacrifice, death penalties or ritual cleanings, you would have found fault with almost everything the did in the Name of God, because that's what this is really about: that you wouldn't believe in God even if He required none of those things and didn't care what you did or how you did it either way.

Quantum Quack said:
You may argue that if God was indeed super rational that he would have a purpose behind his silence, his supposed "non- existence"
Can you see how reason has nothing to do with it? Here I am, reasoning about what we know God has said and done, what He is doing and saying, will do and say, and you insist there is no sign of Him anywhere.

Yes, I agree: the God you and Pavlos are "looking" for would only exist to satisfy your lmits, not exceed them. You are looking elsewhere, but for the reason that you can't accept what is plainly before you. In a very literal sense, sin has kept you from seeing or hearing God - the sin of the Israelites. The uncritical acceptance of everything Pavloscosmos says in his post (and he says quite a few things), is indicative of this trend: any excuse as long as it sounds and looks good.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
Christian dogma makes no mention of how many people go or went to hell. It can't.
A very great number of Protestants (all over the world, I'm sure, but notably in the US) are raised even today believing that the Pope is the Anti-Christ and every Catholic is going straight to hell. I'm sure that is not your belief, but it's there.
Jenyar said:
God, and Jesus, however, mentioned that quite a few people are unwilling to let their lives be regulated in such a way that would permit a relationship with Him, one which could be redeemed and granted eternal life. Which He gives to all who follow Him. If you have some other source for righteousness and life in mind, feel free to pursue it. But it will probably not give life to others, which is what righteousness is all about.
Your definition of "life" here is presumably the eternal life after death in Jesus' bosom promised to those who accept him. But I don't believe in an afterlife, I believe that this life is the only one we have. It is from this concept that I get my morality, my firm conviction that killing is an absolute moral wrong. If I were ever in the position to save someone's life, I would feel quite justified and "righteous" enough for that.
Jenyar said:
Christ was the principle of faith, who became the reality of faith. Abraham certainly did not believe in Jesus, but He had faith in God and an eternal relationship with Him.

Don't worry about the "lost souls of Africa", whoever those might be. Worry about the people you can reach and people you are in contact with everyday. They are your neighbour. Love them, and you'll be surprised who they thank.
But who does worry about the lost souls? (I didn't mention Africa, by the way - and most of Africa is Christian anyway.)

Jenya,
Do you really expect someone to accept a belief with out solid, sound and rational premise?

Ah, the miracles of "rationality": Dogs bark, and the caravan moves on.

Game Theory offers a critical argument to the understanding of rationality -- and what happens? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Niente. Nichts. 0.

I sometimes think that people persist in their "rationality", because they have come to the edge of it and see what a tricky and scary thing rationality actually is. How unreliable and how whimsical.

Yeah, and then it goes: "If there is no solid, sound and rational premise, you shouldn't believe, you cannot believe, blah, blah, bloody blah."

You're not looking for any answers, you're just asking rhetorical questions, and forcing the answers that you do get into a comfortable place, "rationality", you call it.

If you're asking questions, ask yourself first:
If someone would answer your questions, would you change your belief?

If the answer is no, then your questions aren't constructive, and you're just out to push your perspective, or seeking validation for it -- and the people whom you've asked tend to respond negatively in this case, as you haven't been sincere.

If the answer is yes, then you might sometimes need to rephrase your questions -- and many people will be willing to answer them.

But what I see here, esp. from the so called atheists and agnostics is the position "Am I right or am I right?!"

Jenyar said:
If I weren't absolutely certain that God didn't exist, I wouldn't go about mocking him. Pavlos, what do you know that the rest of the world doesn't?

You assume far to much. The world doesn't (Thank God - Pun intended) believe this shit.

Quantum Quack said:
Do you really expect someone to accept a belief with out solid, sound and rational premise?
I think people have made their ability to be and perceive the "solid, sound and rational", an irrational premise - to the point that they think God would appear to them within that white chalk border they drew.

People should certainly evaluate beliefs rationally, but to evaluate God based on already irrational beliefs (like the ones pavlos spouted) will never lead to rational faith, only to prejudiced back-seat driving.

Last edited:
RosaMagika said:
In this regard, sinful actions seem to be inevitable.

. . .

They seem to be an inevitable consequence of being a rational agent.

A rational agent thinks: "I consider myself a rational agent. By what I have seen so far from other agents, it is only rational to consider them rational too. If I have a certain information, it is likely that they can have it too, or they could obtain the way I have obtained it. Survival is a matter of having more information, more resources, better options than other agents. This means that if I wish to survive and be ahead of you, I must withhold certain things from you, lest you should get ahead of me. I cannot afford to be cooperative; I can afford to be cooperative only to a limited extent that ensures that I will get from you what I want, and in return not make you want to hurt me. (I could simply steal from you, but then I'd have to live in fear that you'd come and steal from me -- for if I can steal from you, and I am rational and consider you rational, then I must consider the option that you would steal from me as fully valid.)"

-- This would explain the above-mentioned inter-relations, and thus, how innocence becomes lost.
Reason is certainly the frontier for the manifestation of sins. But you make an interesting point: that it could be related to survival. Having to survive outside Eden, without the certainty of life. Life as a selfish desire. "Living" as a calculated game instead of being.

Back