A Gesture of Reconciliation

BTW if none of you understand why the chancellor is doing this, you need to review South Africa's history. Look up something called "The Truth and Reconciliation Commission." The goal here it to repair and co-exist, not fall back into even worse hatred and racial divisiveness. I know that forgiveness and reconciliation are values that are not highly prized here in the USA, but they are in South Africa.

Allegedly? Alleged by whom? "Allegations" are not adequate reasons to ruin people's lives for the 80 more years they will be live by expelling them from school.

Even if it were true, which it very well may be, that is a case of the punishment not fitting the crime. This is one event that these black people were not permanently injured over. People do worse things in frat houses.

Alleged by them. Their supposed reason for committing this crime against people. The act occurred as verified by their posting of the actions on youtube. Self incriminated.

Maybe you should read some of the links and google for more info.

We already know the act took place, milkweed. But I can't help but notice your inclusion of the word "supposed" for their reasoning. That seems to indicate that the motive is unverifiable by you. However, as I said even if were true, the punishment wouldn't have fit. That's why the chancellor saw the need to address them, probably.

Perhaps you need to go back and google more info on him.

BTW if none of you understand why the chancellor is doing this, you need to review South Africa's history. Look up something called "The Truth and Reconciliation Commission." The goal here it to repair and co-exist, not fall back into even worse hatred and racial divisiveness. I know that forgiveness and reconciliation are values that are not highly prized here in the USA, but they are in South Africa.

maybe you should take your own advice:

"The commission was empowered to grant amnesty to those who committed abuses during the apartheid era, as long as the crimes were politically motivated, proportionate, and there was full disclosure by the person seeking amnesty."

This is a crime committed post apartheid era. Non applicable.

Time to hold people responsible for their current crimes/actions.

maybe you should take your own advice:

Time to hold people responsible for their current crimes/actions.

This isn't an attempt to try and apply a now defunct commission to mediate this event. Do smarten up and get with the program. The reason I bring it up is because (and you may be too young or ignorant to be aware of this) that commission was a symbol of a peaceful observation of restitution and reconciliation that the chancellor right now is actively promoting. You're trying to go against that. That's a negative thing, not a positive thing. :cool:

This is a crime committed post apartheid era. Non applicable.

Such values never cease to be applicable, milkweed.

This isn't an attempt to try and apply a now defunct commission to mediate this event. Do smarten up and get with the program. The reason I bring it up is because (and you may be too young or ignorant to be aware of this) that commission was a symbol of a peaceful observation of restitution and reconciliation that the chancellor right now is actively promoting. You're trying to go against that. That's a negative thing, not a positive thing. :cool:

Such values never cease to be applicable, milkweed.

Not my values in this situation. I think the chancellor promoted a negative response and his priority should be with the people who do NOT behave in this barbaric fashion. College should be a place of higher values. I think the chancellor needs to promote zero tolerance for abuses such as this.

These 4 can reconcile with that off campus property.

Not my values in this situation. I think the chancellor promoted a negative response and his priority should be with the people who do NOT behave in this barbaric fashion. College should be a place of higher values. I think the chancellor needs to promote zero tolerance for abuses such as this.

These 4 can reconcile with that off campus property.

The 4 aren't the ones who need to reconcile, though. Clearly the chancellor recognized that and applied his higher values into the picture. His priorities include everybody. :cool:

I think he will be forced to resign.

That seems unlikely. The whole urine stew thing took place last year. The protests are over. Likely this will be forgotten in two weeks and life will go on -- for everybody. I know life going on isn't something you want, but that's the way life works.

I think he will be forced to resign.

He should be. Sometimes I don't understand, why people make simple things complicated. To weigh justice, just put yourself in someone else's shoes. For example, can you forgive people who force you (or those who you love) to drink their pee, video-taping it, and post it in youtube? If you can't, why ask other people to forgive? :)

He should be. Sometimes I don't understand, why people make simple things complicated. To weigh justice, just put yourself in someone else's shoes. For example, can you forgive people who force you (or those who you love) to drink their pee, video-taping it, and post it in youtube? If you can't, why ask other people to forgive? :)

Exactly. Would the chancellor been as forgiving if it would have been his mom abused by these sociopaths?

And if he was forgiving, it would only point out that he shouldnt be in a position of authority. He doesnt know how it should be used.

Probably I would, in time. It wouldn't be up to me to forgive them though. I'm in no position to judge another human being and neither are you. Only you can judge yourself.

You're off the point though. You shouldn't use words that aren't true and then say "and?" If they were fooled, then you shouldn't say it were forced. That's called being dishonest.

You're off the point though. You shouldn't use words that aren't true and then say "and?" If they were fooled, then you shouldn't say it were forced. That's called being dishonest.

I said "forced" because that was what said in the video provided by the OP (opening post):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8325000/8325443.stm

listen and tell me what you hear between 00:10 and 00:14. As the video tell: "It shows five black cleaners forced to eat food that apparently being urinated..."

So, who is being dishonest?

Last edited:
You and she both?

She or the BBC (or even the video :rolleyes:) probably lied, but how is it me quoting the news being dishonest when I tell the news as it is? In case you can't hear the news provided by Lucy on the link, you can look it up in BBC news:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8313997.stm

In the video the campus employees - four women and a man - were allegedly forced to drink full bottles of beer and perform athletic tasks.

But it is the final extract of the film that most angered members of the public.

It shows a white male urinating on food, and then shouting "Take! Take!" in Afrikaans - apparently forcing the campus employees to eat the dirty food, and causing them to vomit.

Back