30 days in jail for graffiti 1st offence

And I dare anyone to prefer boring concrete walls to this

That's not the point at all!!

The point is the "boring concrete wall" belonged to someone else ...it was someone else's property! How would YOU like it if someone came in a painted "graffitti and bullshit crap" on something that YOU owned? ...without your permission! (And if you say that if it was pretty, I wouldn't mind it ...then ye're just missing the point and ye're an idiot!)

Baron Max

Baron Max said:
That's not the point at all!!

The point is the "boring concrete wall" belonged to someone else ...it was someone else's property!

I don't share your glorification of property, Baron.
Besides I don't see how that underground tunnel got damaged in any way.

How would YOU like it if someone came in a painted "graffitti and bullshit crap" on something that YOU owned? ...without your permission! (And if you say that if it was pretty, I wouldn't mind it ...then ye're just missing the point and ye're an idiot!)
No bid deal, if I didn't like it I would paint something what I like over it.

I don't share your glorification of property, Baron.

Glorification of property? The very basis of human civilization is the ownership of property!!! And even more important is the INDIVIDUAL ownership of property!! ...and you call it "glorification"?? Golly, how nice of you.

However, wether or not you "glorify" property, you can't possibly adhere to the right to take it upon yourself to damage someone else's property. No rational, intelligent, knowledgeable individual would say such a thing ...so I'm sure that ye're just saying that, without actually meaning it ...sorta' just trying to start another argument or something.

Besides I don't see how that underground tunnel got damaged in any way.

But that's not for YOU to say, is it? No, of course not. And that's why we have laws and rules in civilized nations ....so people like you can't just do anything that they want to do without punishment.

No bid deal, if I didn't like it I would paint something what I like over it.

But you'd have to buy the paint and the brushes. And if the graffitti continued, that could amount to a lot of money, not to mention a lot of work. .....and you'd still go along with it, still approve that person(s) painting your property???? Hmmm?

Baron Max

...so I'm sure that ye're just saying that, without actually meaning it ...sorta' just trying to start another argument or something.
Not really, Baron, I just really don't think about individual property like you do.
And that's why we have laws and rules in civilized nations
I know, I'm a law student :D
But you'd have to buy the paint and the brushes. And if the graffitti continued, that could amount to a lot of money, not to mention a lot of work. .....and you'd still go along with it, still approve that person(s) painting your property???? Hmmm?
That's thinking in very materialistic terms about that.
Painting is pleasure.
I'd set up a monitoring camera though and set up a bait if someone was painting some hateful or vulgar content though.

Not really, Baron, I just really don't think about individual property like you do. ..... , I'm a law student

You're a student of law, and you have such a disregard of private property?? I'm amazed and astounded and shocked and worried about the future of our laws!! I think your law professors should know about your thoughts on property laws ..they just might set you straight.

Painting is pleasure.

So repainting a damaged wall is a pleasure for you? And you think, therefore, it should be a pleasure for any and all others? ....and ye're a student of the law? I'm amazed and astounded and shocked and worried about the future of our laws!!

I'd set up a monitoring camera though and set up a bait if someone was painting some hateful or vulgar content though.

Ye're a student of the law, yet you'd willfully set up an entrapment situation that would NOT be permissible in a court of law??? And you've also brought up an interesting situation .....just who is to decide what's "hateful and vulgar" in graffiti? You or the owner or the graffitist?

....and ye're a student of the law? I'm amazed and astounded and shocked and worried about the future of our laws!!

Baron Max

I enjoy looking at good graffiti. I don't consider names self promotion; they are almost always pseudonyms, so noone is really getting any recognision for them. I don't like crappy 'tags' - scrawled messes. I don't like seeing people's property ruined, and them having to pay money to fix it up.

What I do like is sitting on the train every day and enjoying what is in actual fact incredible artwork that adorns the bare, high walls on either side of the tracks. As far as I see it this is interesting, out of the way, and pretty much innocuous. And it adds some interest to the 30 minute train ride I take twice a day.

I'm amazed and astounded and shocked and worried about the future of our laws!!
No need to worry, I don't live in the USA and I don't plan to ever do it, so your country is safe from my legal ideas.
yet you'd willfully set up an entrapment situation that would NOT be permissible in a court of law?
Nobody would be able to prove that it was an entrapment.
And you think, therefore, it should be a pleasure for any and all others?
Not really, I don't care about those others.
.just who is to decide what's "hateful and vulgar" in graffiti?
That would be the basis on if I choose to report on the graffitist, not because of the painting act, but because of the message. There are other laws about that and the court would judge on whether those fit in the definition.
.they just might set you straight.
You think they won't like my idea that only the state can own land and no private person?

Not really, I don't care about those others.

No need to read any further than that. Thank you. And I'm sure that your expertise in the law will be highly sought by the general public. :)

Baron Max

I don't know how it works in the USA, but the thing you describe should not be possible, no matter what crime. They can't set him free and imprison you. Talk with your lawyer.. (at least I know by all the movies I've seen that lawyers DO exist in the USA ;))

This is quite worrying. The poster in this thread with whom I am most in agreement is Baron Max. Does this mean I am turning into a right-winger?

Victor E said:
I don't know how it works in the USA, but the thing you describe should not be possible, no matter what crime. They can't set him free and imprison you.

Sure they can! It's two different "trials", different people accused and it's mostly up to the judge. If this guy acted defiant, for example, it might have pissed the judge off, hence the different sentence. I've seen similar situations where the kid acted like an asshole in the court ...it pisses the judges off, and I don't blame them a damned bit.

What you and others fail to realize is that, while perfection is the ideal of court trials, it's not the actual way it works. Fair? What's that? And since none of us actually were there or actually sat through the trial, or had all of the info that the judge might have had, we can't, or shouldn't, say "fair" or "unfair" about it.

So please ....don't say "fair" or "unfair" until you know everything about the case. And my guess is that our original poster didn't tell us everything. I mean, you know, no convict or criminal is ever guilty, is he???

Baron Max

Ophiolite said:
This is quite worrying. The poster in this thread with whom I am most in agreement is Baron Max. Does this mean I am turning into a right-winger?

No, but you should take two aspirin, drink plenty of fluids and rest in bed for a few days. The symptoms will pass. Of course, if not, then a frontal lobotomy might cure you! :)

Baron Max

Burn!!
Anyhoo, as for the stint in jail and the prison-rape threat. Just look very unkempt, befriend and accept kindnesses in the form of cigs, snacks, protection, etc from no one because they will demand repayment in the form of loving (this is not a camp) only days later with a less friendly attitude. Don't shower, ever. Become known for atrocious BO. You are not there to make friends. If oreos are available, eat them often and make sure that black stuff is constantly on and around your teeth. Never clean your nose. I wish this was really all in fun but I was really saddened a few years ago to learn that a young man in jail for marijuana possession was raped by his cellmate. How could they put the child in there with a known rapist? They prob figured he wouldn't rape another man. Sickening. Don't do sh*t to go to jail, not for the sake of the general public, but for your own sake. Because the cruel and unusual punishment will come from your fellow prisoners, not the state (which you can ironically sue if they don't let you watch your favorite tv show). If you harm the sexual deviant, you could possibly have time added to YOUR sentence.

30 days for graffiti?

GOOD!

There is nothing worse than graffiti. It's an eyesore, and it's not your property to deface.

It's a pity that in Australia they don't give out jail sentences for grafitti. Some parts of Melbourne looks like they have been used by 5 year olds as a sketch book.

Baron Max said:
Sure they can! It's two different "trials", different people accused and it's mostly up to the judge. If this guy acted defiant, for example, it might have pissed the judge off, hence the different sentence. I've seen similar situations where the kid acted like an asshole in the court ...it pisses the judges off, and I don't blame them a damned bit.

What you and others fail to realize is that, while perfection is the ideal of court trials, it's not the actual way it works. Fair? What's that? And since none of us actually were there or actually sat through the trial, or had all of the info that the judge might have had, we can't, or shouldn't, say "fair" or "unfair" about it.

So please ....don't say "fair" or "unfair" until you know everything about the case. And my guess is that our original poster didn't tell us everything. I mean, you know, no convict or criminal is ever guilty, is he???

Baron Max

Well, I'm happy I don't live in the USA then. You see, I have the believe that in Sweden we have a "fair" court. The government pays everyone a lawyer so that the victim is always ensured to be judged according to the law not according to what the judge thinks.

Also, the judge can't take the descision alone can he? I don't know how it works in the USA (once again).

Sending someone to jail for some graffiti is just silly, if it's the first offence someone would never been sent to jail... It would bring headlines in the newspapers ;P

And no, there's no death penalty in europe either.

Stupid americans :rolleyes:

Btw, on a sidenote: We haven't got a lot of graffiti where I live either.. I think it's called "cleaning" and is a part of the wellfare community. I mean, what the fuck, let him clean the shit away instead of put him to jail.

mountainhare said:
There is nothing worse than graffiti.
I can think of plenty of things that are a lot worse than graffiti, actually.

Some parts of Melbourne looks like they have been used by 5 year olds as a sketch book.
And some parts of Melbourne benefit enormously from the graffiti on them. Some of the graffiti in Melbourne is really amazing and very beautiful.
You just have to take the good with the bad. Fortunately, there is a lot of better artwork/graffiti nowadays, instead of just tagging etc.

Back