Would you stand in jesus's place?

NMSquirrel

OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12
Valued Senior Member
everyone knows the story of jesus whether they believe in him or not..
jesus died on the cross, for the sins of others..

would you take his place?
if it meant saving ppl you do not even know?
would you sacrifice yourself to save someone?
have you stepped up when the opportunity presented itself for you to keep someone else from harm?

be honest..

But Jesus knows that he is god, and that death means nothing to him. So he did nothing for the sins of others.

have you stepped up when the opportunity presented itself for you to keep someone else from harm?

be honest..

I have "stepped up" before...Many times...

Would I "intentionally" sacrifice my life though? If it would save my kids, yes..

For anyone else, I honestly doubt it.

be honest..

absolutely.

You're saying you would intentionally, and knowingly die, to save a complete stranger off the street?

I'm sorry, I just don't believe you...No offense..

yes i would. why don't you believe me?

better yet...why wouldn't you?

yes i would. why don't you believe me?

better yet...why wouldn't you?

OK, lets try a hypothetical here...

You and another person are taken hostage...

The hostage taker says, I'm only going to let one of you go...

You expect me to believe, that without a second thought, you'd volunteer to die?...Again, I just don't believe that.

But Jesus knows that he is god, and that death means nothing to him. So he did nothing for the sins of others.

that doesn't mean anything for the question..

(i bet it still hurt though..)

OK, lets try a hypothetical here...

You and another person are taken hostage...

The hostage taker says, I'm only going to let one of you go...

You expect me to believe, that without a second thought, you'd volunteer to die?...Again, I just don't believe that.

maybe yeah, but that would be between me and the other person, whom i knew at that point right? that's different.

as happy as i am right now, i do not love this life enough, not to sacrifice it so that i and many others could live forever in paradise. that's what jesus did, and that's a no brainer.

Well, to each their own Lori..

I risk my life every day doing my job...I know the risks..

But, the OP said nothing about risk...It asked if you'd just lay down your life to save another... Which means, to gladly die in place of another, no matter what the circumstance.

I would only "knowingly" sacrifice my life for someone who's life I value more than my own...That would be my kids.

Would I die to save those who are closely biologically related to me, maybe.

Would I die to save those who are not closely biologically related to me, no way in the world.

My life is the only life I'm ever going to have. It's desturbing how religious people are so willing to throw theirs away because of their delusion of an afterlife.

For example would I give my life to save the lives of every single person in the Northern Hemisphere... no I would not.

My life is the only life I'm ever going to have. It's desturbing how religious people are so willing to throw theirs away because of their delusion of an afterlife.

its not the delusion of an afterlife that i would do it for..

this world is screwed up,i would do it to get away from this world..sacrificing my life to save another would be the best way i could think of to die..
(be my luck that the person i saved would step in front of a bus while he was walking away from me...)

ok..maybe the thoughts of an afterlife enter into it..but wouldn't that be considered selfish and thereby canceling any chance of getting in??

Well, to each their own Lori..

I risk my life every day doing my job...I know the risks..

But, the OP said nothing about risk...It asked if you'd just lay down your life to save another... Which means, to gladly die in place of another, no matter what the circumstance.

I would only "knowingly" sacrifice my life for someone who's life I value more than my own...That would be my kids.

well the op's talking about what jesus did, which was not sacrifice his life so that we could live in this shit hole. he sacrificed for something much better than this.

I disagree with your premise. He did not.

Jesus was a brilliant spiritualist and a brilliant philosopher caught in a catch 22 situation who never really wanted to be nailed to that cross, but he had no choice. His personal code of ethics demanded that he not resist being seized.

I don't think he was "dying" for anyone's sins. He never said that. That was the bullshit Roman propaganda that was spread after the Roman empire constructed their version of the bible after it was decided that Christianity would be the "state religion" at the first council of Nicaea. Any text that wasn't politically expedient, and there were some truly holy texts, notably, the one written by Jesus' brother, that were left out of the bible that protestants, Catholics, and orthodoxies know today. "God's" truth. . . the holy revelation, as it were, has not been revealed to mankind, so for us to sit here and debate Rome's version of events is preposterous, and an absurd gesture.

The message was not an exercise of sacrifice for sins. What a barbaric and arcane concept. This is as outdated as the First temple. What god needs sacrifices to be pleased? Come on. I don't need blood to pacify me when my own son does wrong. What I need to see is learning from his mistakes, growth, and doing better. Christ wanted people to better themselves. He came to Jerusalem to teach, not DIE! He only refused to back down to the hypocrites, b/c it would weaken his message. When Rome constructed the bible at the First council of Nicaea, they changed it to. . . he died for all your sins. Why? Because if the truth were known, that you are ALL sons and daughters of god, that you can all be free, and can all make yourselves acceptable in the eyes of god, then no one could be controlled so easily by the Roman church or the Roman government, could they?

But naw. . . You'd all rather worship something. You'd all rather wait to be saved rather than save yourselves. Take some responsibility for your own asses. Jesus was trying to tell you, if you have ears, LISTEN!

Over and over again, he warned you what would happen after he died, but no one listened. And it happened. They took everything he taught, and twisted it into lies. And now you think that you need him. And he never wanted to be worshiped. He wanted you to stand on your own. That's all he ever wanted. Who do you think, when the end comes, will be saved? . . . the ones wailing and gnashing their teeth are going to be saved? Or the ones that are self reliant and are helping others get through the dark times?

Do you actually think he would WANT you to take his place? What absurdness is this? He wouldn't want to be up there if he could find a way out of it. It's human cruelty and barbarism that caused him to be up there, pure politics . . . he had things to do and people to see. lol

well the op's talking about what jesus did, which was not sacrifice his life so that we could live in this shit hole. he sacrificed for something much better than this.

this is true lori..but that is irrelevant to the question..
why we would do it would be different than why he did it..
i mean,we could pry debate the why's forever(not saying we can't),but if it came down to it,we would not be thinking, we would just act.
if you were to hear a gunshot would you duck for cover or go find out what is going on?

But, 2,000 years later, we still live in a shithole...And I don't see that changing any time soon.

So, why would any one think their sacrifice would work, if Jesus' didnt?

I just don't see the logic in it.

Back