Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'...

okinrus said:
The majority of Albengensians, who were not perfects, were neither ascetic or peaceful, but it really would not matter insofar as heresy is concern. Anyone who is baptised Catholic, yet turns away from the faith has become a "heretic".

The Cathars weren't baptized Catholic. They didn't practice baptism by water, believing only in the spiritual one. You cannot turn away from something you don't believe in. Therefore, by your definition they cannot be considered heretics.

okinrus said:
As for it being incompatible, yes, suicide by starving oneself, because of the belief that the world is evil, and rejecting the sacrament of marriage is incompatible with the faith.

Evidently, the church considered it compatible with their faith to butcher those whose beliefs and lifestyle exposed corruption and hypocrisy of the clergy.
You seem to be condemning suicide but condoning murder.

Last edited:
The Cathars weren't baptised Catholic. They didn't practice baptism by water, believing only in the spiritual one. You cannot turn away from something you don't believe in. Therefore, by your definition they cannot be considered heretics.
Most of those in southern France were already baptised as Catholic. It's sort of moot point your making. The Albgensians did not believe in procreation, which means that any new albigensians, in theory, would have been Catholic. The present definition of "heresy" used by the Church requires the individual to be baptised.

Evidently, the church considered it compatible with their faith to butcher those whose believes and lifestyle exposed corruption and hypocrisy of the clergy.
No, I think the Pope reprimanded Monteford for his use of excessive force, and even the Church says that it sentenced some heretics to death who should not have been, but the fact is without crushing the Albigensians there would eventually be no Europe. As for the corruption and hypocrisy of the clergy, of course the Albigensians would find them corrupt since the clergy did not teach their doctrines, nor did they fast until death. It's apparent that it was the Albigensians who were liars, murders, and corrupters of the bible, not the Church.

You seem to be condemning suicide but condoning murder.
To teach a doctrine which glorifies, or even condones, suicide could be viewed as murder. But heresy was consider capital punishment back then. While I don't agree with capital punishment, the spreading of heresy and lies is far more severe than murder since the former kills the soul.

okinrus said:
Most of those in southern France were already baptised as Catholic.
M*W: During this time, Southern France and Italy as well as the entire Mediterranean coast were, for the most part, Jewish except for Moorish Spain and North Africa. It was the Catholics who ran the Jews out of these countries.

M*W: During this time, Southern France and Italy as well as the entire Mediterranean coast were, for the most part, Jewish except for Moorish Spain and North Africa. It was the Catholics who ran the Jews out of these countries.
No, the Jews were pretty much doing commerce through out Europe(they were not allowed to farm) which would mean that the greatest concentration of Jews would be around the trade routes. Nevertheless, Jews were often times kept separate from the rest of the population in walled ghettos or in their own communities(kahal). The Albegensian heresy, however, was well after Charlemagne, so we know that they were Christian. In fact, I doubt that the new heresy would be able to spread throughout a Jewish population because the two doctrines are diametrically opposed.

Okinrus - and I mean it in a nicest possible way - do some more research on the Cathars.

You call them liars and yet they didn't forced their beliefs on others. They embraced purity, poverty and tolerance. They were vegetarians, wore simple clothes and considered women equal to men. You call them murderers and yet they advocated non-violence. You call them corrupters of the bible and yet they believed that the path to God leads through one's heart, not through the door of a glamorous cathedral. They believed in love and compassion. Wasn't that the message of Jesus?

On the other hand, the medieval church at the time, for the most part, consisted of a bunch of filthy rich, lecherous priests who were only interested in accumulating more personal riches.

As for a suicide, you are misinformed. It wasn't encouraged or glorified as you say. It was a personal choice of someone who was on his/her deathbed.

While I don't agree with capital punishment, the spreading of heresy and lies is far more severe than murder since the former kills the soul.

It's a shame you can't see the tragedy of the Cathars, the victims of the blind christian faith. It is estimated that 1 million people perished in the Albigensian crusade.

You call them liars and yet they didn't forced their beliefs on others.
Well, that's uncertain. Remember, the only documentation we have on the Albigensians is from the Catholic church; I'm also only speaking of the Albigensian branch of the Catharist. So, any other information, however true it may be, cannot be considered historical since the Catholic church is the sole provider of information. In order to determine whether the Albigensians were in fact peaceful you would have to read Church writings on them, and in any case, the non-perfects were not bound to the same moral standards as the perfects, in effect giving them a license to sin. By the way, my guess is that you will not find writings from the Church that is favorable to them; the only way your position can possibly be justified is by hypothetical guess.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01267e.htm

They embraced purity, poverty and tolerance.
They believed that the flesh was evil and must be destroyed. Much of their supporters were rich land owners.

They were vegetarians, wore simple clothes and considered women equal to men.
Their rejection of marriage meant that any offspring produced would not be cared for.

You call them murderers and yet they advocated non-violence.
Did I call them murders? No, I said that teaching a doctrine that convinces others to commit suicide is worst than murder.

You call them corrupters of the bible and yet they believed that the path to God leads through one's heart, not through the door of a glamorous cathedral.
As mentioned before, they do not believe in goodness within the flesh but only the soul. The heart, metaphorically speaking, is the boundary between the soul and the flesh.

It's a shame you can't see the tragedy of the Cathars, the victims of the blind christian faith. It is estimated that 1 million people perished in the Albigensian crusade.
Where did I say that the Albigensian crusade was not tragic? I only said, without specifying how, that they had to be dealt to save europe.

On the other hand, the medieval church at the time, for the most part, consisted of a bunch of filthy rich, lecherous priests who were only interested in accumulating more personal riches.
Lots of good things such as music and art came out of the medieval church.

They believed in love and compassion. Wasn't that the message of Jesus?
Who assassinated Pierre de Castelnau beginning the crusade?

As for a suicide, you are misinformed. It wasn't encouraged or glorified as you say. It was a personal choice of someone who was on his/her deathbed.
You have absolutely no proof of this, though.

Well every person on Earth has to admit that Jesus DID EXIST, everyone knows that! the question is was he the son of god. The non-believers of course saying "well according to even Jesus, every person on earth is the son/daughter of god... so the Muslims could well be right in saying he was just a prophet because in that way he could have been the son of god... In the meantime he has been here for 40 years, as the reincarnation of that Japanese Cult Leader who recently got sentenced to death... after all, he claimed to be the reincarnation of both Jesus and Buddha at the same time and when you really think about it, REALLY THINK ABOUT IT, then why couldn't that be true? Doesn't mean it is, but you can't truely and surely deny that it is possible.

Well every person on Earth has to admit that Jesus DID EXIST, everyone knows that! the question is was he the son of god. The non-believers of course saying "well according to even Jesus, every person on earth is the son/daughter of god... so the Muslims could well be right in saying he was just a prophet because in that way he could have been the son of god...
No, the Qur'an says that God did not have a son. The most likely interpretation of that verse would be that Jesus is neither the son of God or God.

Well, that's uncertain. Remember, the only documentation we have on the Albigensians is from the Catholic church; I'm also only speaking of the Albigensian branch of the Catharist. So, any other information, however true it may be, cannot be considered historical since the Catholic church is the sole provider of information. In order to determine whether the Albigensians were in fact peaceful you would have to read Church writings on them, and in any case, the non-perfects were not bound to the same moral standards as the perfects, in effect giving them a license to sin. By the way, my guess is that you will not find writings from the Church that is favorable to them; the only way your position can possibly be justified is by hypothetical guess.

However scarce they are, there exist some Cathar texts,
A question for you, though - do you find it even remotely possible that the information provided by the inquisition may not reflect the truth about the Cathars, only the way the church wanted to perceive them?
History is written by the victors.

They believed that the flesh was evil and must be destroyed. Much of their supporters were rich land owners.

Yes, all matter, including flesh was evil. Had to be destroyed - no.
Most of their supporters weren't Cathars, although they may have had some Cathar sympaties.

Their rejection of marriage meant that any offspring produced would not be cared for.

Only the Parfaits completely renounced marriage and sex. As for all the others, siring children may have been frowned upon but it doesn't follow they would have been abandoned. Remember that the Cathars believed in reincarnation; every newborn was potentially a person who hasn't reached the required spiritual state in his/her previous life.

Did I call them murders? No, I said that teaching a doctrine that convinces others to commit suicide is worst than murder.

You wrote: "It's apparent that it was the Albigensians who were liars, murders, and corrupters of the bible, not the Church.". I assumed you meant murderers.

Where did I say that the Albigensian crusade was not tragic? I only said, without specifying how, that they had to be dealt to save europe.

How did the death of a million harmless people save Europe? Saved from what?
It only showed the brutality of religious intolerance.

Lots of good things such as music and art came out of the medieval church.

That's a very one-sided statement. How about the medieval inquisition?

Who assassinated Pierre de Castelnau beginning the crusade?

The army of Raymond VI of Toulouse, who later joined the crusade. The counts of Toulouse were only interested in getting hold of the lands of Carcassonne and Beziers.

You have absolutely no proof of this, though

What proof do you have that the whole issue of the ritual suicide is more that just the catholic propaganda? Had the Cathars encouraged suicide, the crusade would not have happened. They would have all killed themselves instead of allowing to be captured.

However scarce they are, there exist some Cathar texts,
Ok, the Albigensians are considered a more radical sect of Cathars.

A question for you, though - do you find it even remotely possible that the information provided by the inquisition may not reflect the truth about the Cathars, only the way the church wanted to perceive them?
Well, I'm speaking strictly about the Albigensians and not the Cathars in general. But there's no reason to suggest that the Inquisitors were not giving their truthful opinions of the matter. Furthermore, the descriptions of other heresies such as the Waldensenes seem accurate.

[qoute]
How did the death of a million harmless people save Europe? Saved from what?
It only showed the brutality of religious intolerance.
[/quote]
I disagree that a million died in the albigensian crusade. Only something like 20,000 died in the war, and it's certain that if southern france was divided with heresy, the Moors would have never been driven out of spain. Now the <a href="http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/caesarius-heresies.html#CHAPTER%20XX">monk</a> says that only 450 were sentenced to death by the Inquisition after winning Toulouse, and since Toulouse was pretty much were all the heretics were, I don't see the Inquisition killing more than 700 of them.

What proof do you have that the whole issue of the ritual suicide is more that just the catholic propaganda? Had the Cathars encouraged suicide, the crusade would not have happened. They would have all killed themselves instead of allowing to be captured.
The Cathars only encourage suicide when the ritual "baptism" was performed. Only then was the soul clean. Their doctrines encouraged destroying the flesh after this point.

okinrus said:
No, the Qur'an says that God did not have a son. The most likely interpretation of that verse would be that Jesus is neither the son of God or God.
Yeah, by saying "no" it sounds like you're disagreeing but thats exactly what I meant. Everyone on Earth is the "son" of god in a sense that he created them and/or is responsible for them, not in a sense that he is their father in a biological sense or whatever.

Like if I said the trees are my sisters and some idiot said "oh my god! She's related to trees!" when I simply meant I feel equal to them.. it is always possible that Jesus was saying the same thing, that god was his father but he didn't mean it in that way. Does anyone understand that at all?

Yeah, by saying "no" it sounds like you're disagreeing but thats exactly what I meant. Everyone on Earth is the "son" of god in a sense that he created them and/or is responsible for them, not in a sense that he is their father in a biological sense or whatever.
Christians don't call Jesus the Son of God in either the biological or the creative sense.

Like if I said the trees are my sisters and some idiot said "oh my god! She's related to trees!" when I simply meant I feel equal to them.. it is always possible that Jesus was saying the same thing, that god was his father but he didn't mean it in that way. Does anyone understand that at all?
For the Jews of Jesus' time, calling oneself the Son of God was considered blasphemy.

yah but what about the jews and christians of this time... not blasphemous now is it? not in the crucify-him-dammit sense I mean. In fact people who claim to be the new Jesus seem to get movements and hundreds of worldwide supporters... doesn't seem to bad...

okinrus said:
Christians don't call Jesus the Son of God in either the biological or the creative sense.
Then what's with God: The father, the son and the holy ghost? If he's a father he must have a son, if he's a son then who is that son other than Jesus? I don't get it!

btw, to be totally random, go dope! :m:

I disagree that a million died in the albigensian crusade. Only something like 20,000 died in the war, and it's certain that if southern france was divided with heresy, the Moors would have never been driven out of spain. Now the <a href="http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/caesarius-heresies.html#CHAPTER%20XX">monk</a> says that only 450 were sentenced to death by the Inquisition after winning Toulouse, and since Toulouse was pretty much were all the heretics were, I don't see the Inquisition killing more than 700 of them.

The number of perished refers to the Cathars and Catholics alike. The church was very indiscriminate in their killings.

What do you have against the Moors? They brought tolerance and enlightenment to Europe.

The number of perished refers to the Cathars and Catholics alike. The church was very indiscriminate in their killings.
Give accountings of your numbers. How many died in the Inquisition? How many Albigensians died? How many Catholics died? Remember, it's more likely that the Albigensian numbers are skewed in order to make the Catholic victories more dramatic. Even in one the accounts, the victory over the Albigensians was a miracle and I've read many such miracles in St. Monteford's book.

Monteford was in charge of the crusade, not the Pope. The Pope only created a crusade. There's nothing that would suggest that the Pope wanted innocents indiscriminately killed. It's possible that Monteford overreacted to the threat.

What do you have against the Moors? They brought tolerance and enlightenment to Europe.
The Moors were not entirely tolerant. I know that some of St. Francis' friars were killed by preaching there. If you trust the monk's testimony that I gave you, then you would have read: <blockquote>Before the hosts of the Lord came against the Albigenes- as we have related above, they had invitcd Miralimomelinus, the king of Morroco, to come in to their help: and he crossed over from Africa into Spain with so incredible a host that he looked to overrun the whole of Europe. He even sent a message to pope Innocent that he intended to stable his horses in the portico of S. Peter's, and to plant his standard on the church. This indeed was partly carried out, though not at all in the way he had intended. For because God abases the proud, at that very time, in the year of grace 1212, on the 16th day of July, 40,000 fighting men of his arm were slain ; while he himself fled to Seville, and died there of grief. His principal standard was captured in the fight, and sent to Innocent, who set it up in S. Peter's to the glory of Christ.</blockquote> Certainly Europe would have eventually been devoured by the Moors and the Turks on both fronts.

Back