Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'...

okinrus said:
Every statement has a negation.

Doubt is a species of disbelief that is milder than opposition.

Again, doubt is merely the presence of two or more statements that the mind cannot choose from.

I can only give you secondary proof, since true faith is when God reveals himself within us.

I do not presupose my salvation, but when someone is in a state of grace they have knowledge of what salvation is. If you do not believe that we must be saved, then you cannot even know what salvation means. Yet since you speak as if you know what salvation is, it follows that you know that salvation is possible.
----------
M*W: I guess what I have been trying to say is that I have no doubt that Jesus was not crucified for anyone's salvation. This would be my belief.

But how does that at all lead to any usefull discussion. They have just as little doubt that he was crucified for their salvation.

They probably also have no doubt that your religion is false.

This entire thread could just as easily have been about your beliefs, and held just as much (or as little) weight. I must ask why you choose to define your beliefs using the negation of other beliefs, knowing that they could just as easily do the same, and it would mean just as little.

Persol said:
But how does that at all lead to any usefull discussion. They have just as little doubt that he was crucified for their salvation.

They probably also have no doubt that your religion is false.

This entire thread could just as easily have been about your beliefs, and held just as much (or as little) weight. I must ask why you choose to define your beliefs using the negation of other beliefs, knowing that they could just as easily do the same, and it would mean just as little.
----------
M*W: When have I professed a "religion?" I was an ex-Catholic. I converted to Catholicism due to in-law pressure, and I honestly tried with all my heart to believe in it, but the truth came out and I couldn't believe Christianity any longer. I do not profess any particular religion today. I believe in the One Spirit of God. This is how I understand my purpose for being alive. I am not a member of any church. I pray on my own or with my family who believes the same. Parts of my family are still Christian, and they're always trying to save my soul. However, my soul is not lost, and I don't need a dying demigod savior. Hell is what I make of it here. Fortunately, my life has been heaven. I'm thankful for my life, and I believe I share the One Spirit of God with all humanity. But, that's just me....

Catholics don't believe in the existence of any other God but Yahweh. In fact, the doctrine of the Trinity comes from the Catholic church.
Saints are never worshiped.

--------------------
With a little research, you can see the different doctrines and creeds of the demoninations, and where they originated.
The Catholic church does commune with "dead saints".
Also the trinty is not "just the worship of Yahweh" or Jehovah, but is the pagan polytheistic worship of multiple gods inheirited from pagan Rome, only giving them different names......Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
While these "titles" are mentioned in the scriptures.....they are not names of three different personages or personalities of God.
They are three titles of one one and the same person who is God.
Jesus said "I came in my Fathers name"......What is the Fathers name then.....?
Jesus Christ.
Baptizing in the titles of the name of the father, the name of the son, and the name of the holy ghost....is a pagan ritual, turning the God of the bible into three separate gods.....and is not even in the bible to do so.
Jesus said to His disciples "baptize in the name (singular, not names....plural) of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Then when Peter received the keys to the kingdom on the day of pentecost, He revealed what that name (singular) was.......
He said you must be baptized in the name of The Lord Jesus Christ.......for the remission of sins and you would receive the promise of the Holy Ghost.
The compound name of The Lord (father) Jesus (the son) Christ (the anointing of Holy Spirit) is the name of God.
The Cathoilic church removed the use of the name in their baptizims and removed the power from the church substituing the Name with empty titles.....
Peter and Jesus were saying the same thing, not contridicting one another as the church trys to explain saying; "who's word do you take.....Jesus or Peters"....?
There are no contradictions in the Bible.
This false doctrine of the "Trinity" is anti- christ.......and was subsequently adopted by the protestant demoninations that came out of Catholisim after the dark ages.
It is Pagan, along with many other religious practices that these so-called "christian" churches teach for truth.
Thats why Rev. 18 says she is a Harlot; (the Catholic church), and the mother of the abombinations of the earth, ( which are the protestant churches or daughters that came out of Her....the "mother" church.
There is much more.......the great inquisition, for instance when for the cause of "heresy" against thier teaching which were not in the bible, the Catholic church murdered 68 million Christians who stood for the Word of God against thier false pagan teachings during the dark ages and were put to death by order of the pope from aprox. 325 A.D. til the Message of Martin Luther about 1500 A.D.
She has on her hands the blood of the saints. Read Revelations chapters 17 and 18 to see the judgements God is about to bring upon her.
Spend some time studing doctrinal differences and pray to God for the wisdom to discern the truth in this day.
I'm sorry if you are a Catholic but someone needs to tell you the truth, surely I can't be the first one who has told these things......
The difference between truth and error today comes down to a much finer line than this..
This is an obvious error, some others much closer to the truth are not so obvious, but still an error none the less.
We are to have our senses exercised in the disernment of good and evil in this day as Sons, and be weaned from the "milk" of the first principles of repentance and so forth, and go on into perfection, i.e. the eating of "strong meat" for those only who are of "full age" spiritually speaking.
This is in the new testament.
The truth is so close to error in this day that the scriptures say it would deceive the "very elect" if it were posible.....but it's not.
All the world shall be deceived and worship the image of the beast, who's names are not on the Lamb's book of life.
The majoroty of the "Christian" world is prophecied to be deceived by this great religious organization which is in the image of the beast.
There is no safety in numbers, there never was.
Revelation from God is an individual affair. Flesh and blood, Jesus said to Peter, hath not revealed this to you, but the Father in heaven has revealed it.
That's how he said He would build His church and the "Gates of Hell", the anti-christ, anti-word false denominations,...... would not prevail against it.

Last edited:
Esstazq said:
In response to q25, ya that's the Unitarian view. An argument in Trinitarian dogma is that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are all seperate yet the same. Contradictory, I know. Yet think about the quote you offered, this was before his ressurection. Perhaps after the death of his human flesh he was able to sit beside his Father, gaining something unattainable with human flesh. If I knew more information on the subject, I suppose I could say more. Alas, I do not. Also in regards to your immortality statement, yes, Jesus died. He was ressurected though, and also the bible says that He lives in heaven. Note the word lives.

I really do have some respect for the Unitarian churches. The name Unitarian implies that they believe in the oneness of god, and that's exactly how I believe. We muslims believe similarly that Jesus is with god, see Quranic verse 4.158 shown below. Here's what the Quran had to say about Jesus life, death, ressurection ,ect. Jesus's name is Isa. Jesus was a submitter to god or muslims. Jesus couldn't have been a christian or christ follower, or he would be following himself.?? The christians are called the follower of the book. The word bible means book.

The Women
[4.157] And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure
[4.158] Nay! Allah took him up to Himself; and Allah is Mighty, Wise.
[4.159] And there is not one of the followers of the Book but most certainly believes in this before his death, and on the day of resurrection he (Isa) shall be a witness against them.

The Women
[4.171] O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only an apostle of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one God; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

The Dinner Table
[5.116] And when Allah will say: O Isa son of Marium! did you say to men, Take me and my mother for two gods besides Allah he will say: Glory be to Thee, it did not befit me that I should say what I had no right to (say); if I had said it, Thou wouldst indeed have known it; Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I do not know what is in Thy mind, surely Thou art the great Knower of the unseen things.

Medicine Woman said:
When have I professed a "religion?"... I believe in the One Spirit of God. This is how I understand my purpose for being alive... However, my soul is not lost... I believe I share the One Spirit of God with all humanity.
That sure looks like religion to me... but what makes any of that more 'real' then what christianity says? When you talk of humanity being god, christians probably bat their eyes and say "she's nuts"... just like you do when they talk about the trinity. Neither of you have anything to base your beliefs on except your experience...

Persol said:
That sure looks like religion to me... but what makes any of that more 'real' then what christianity says? When you talk of humanity being god, christians probably bat their eyes and say "she's nuts"... just like you do when they talk about the trinity. Neither of you have anything to base your beliefs on except your experience...
----------
M*W: What makes it real? I believe where we're going as the human race does not go backward toward Christianity. Christianity brands us as sinners. We're not. We're still in the process of evolution toward a perfect humanity created in the image of our Creator. I believe the trinity was given to us as an "example" but not a fact. You are correct. Both Christianity and my beliefs are based on individual experience. That doesn't mean that both are wrong. That doesn't mean that both are right. All I know is Christianity has outlived its usefulness.

With a little research, you can see the different doctrines and creeds of the demoninations, and where they originated.
The Catholic church does commune with "dead saints".
Hmm, as a Catholic I should know whether we "commune" with saints or not. Someone who is truly united with Christ is united with all those living and dead who are united with Christ.

Baptizing in the titles of the name of the father, the name of the son, and the name of the holy ghost....is a pagan ritual, turning the God of the bible into three separate gods.....and is not even in the bible to do so.
It says at the end of Matthew. "Baptise in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."

The Cathoilic church removed the use of the name in their baptizims and removed the power from the church substituing the Name with empty titles.....
The Church has traditionally baptised as is written at the end of Matthew.

[quote
This false doctrine of the "Trinity" is anti- christ

Thats why Rev. 18 says she is a Harlot; (the Catholic church), and the mother of the abombinations of the earth, ( which are the protestant churches or daughters that came out of Her....the "mother" church.
Nope.

There is much more.......the great inquisition, for instance when for the cause of "heresy" against thier teaching which were not in the bible, the Catholic church murdered 68 million Christians who stood for the Word of God against thier false pagan teachings during the dark ages and were put to death by order of the pope from aprox. 325 A.D. til the Message of Martin Luther about 1500 A.D.
Why don't you find an official historical record of this? I know for a fact that this is a lie perpetrated by anti-catholics. But the truth is that at the worst times of the Spanish Inquisition, only Jews and Muslims who were pretending to be Catholic could be held by a religious Inquisition. The other persecution was the <a href="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01267e.htm">Albegensians</a>. Well, I hope you realize that these people are not bible believing Christians. In fact, all throughout the middles ages, only a few could read. The sole owner the bibles and Scriptures was the Church. It was so expensive to produce one that there would be perhaps one bible per town.

Spend some time studing doctrinal differences and pray to God for the wisdom to discern the truth in this day.
I do understand the doctrinal differences.

The difference between truth and error today comes down to a much finer line than this.. This is an obvious error, some others much closer to the truth are not so obvious, but still an error none the less.
Yes.

This is in the new testament.
The truth is so close to error in this day that the scriptures say it would deceive the "very elect" if it were posible.....but it's not.
All the world shall be deceived and worship the image of the beast, who's names are not on the Lamb's book of life.
The antichrist has not come yet because the evil in the world is not great enough. As for the truth, the Holy Spirit will lead you to all truth. Decernment is knowing whether he is following the Holy Spirit or his own ideas.

Revelation from God is an individual affair.
Peter says somewhere in 1 Peter that all revelation is a public matter.

okinrus said:
Hmm, as a Catholic I should know whether we "commune" with saints or not. Someone who is truly united with Christ is united with all those living and dead who are united with Christ.
----------
M*W: okinrus, we are united with the human race. We share interconnectedness with one another. Jesus was an EXAMPLE of human perfection. He was ONLY an example. He did not need to die for our salvation.
----------
It says at the end of Matthew. "Baptise in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."
----------
M*W: Long before Christians incorporated baptism by water, it was done ritually by the Greeks. They dunked them until they believed what the Greeks wanted them to believe.
----------
The Church has traditionally baptised as is written at the end of Matthew.
----------
M*W: Why is baptism necessary? We are all baptised in our amniotic fluid before we're born. There's no such thing as being "born again."
----------
This false doctrine of the "Trinity" is anti- christ
----------
M*W: Yes, this is true. The trinity is only an EXAMPLE of humanity being One with God.
----------
Why don't you find an official historical record of this? I know for a fact that this is a lie perpetrated by anti-catholics. But
the truth is that at the worst times of the Spanish Inquisition, only Jews and Muslims who were pretending to be Catholic could be held by a religious Inquisition. The other persecution was the <a href="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01267e.htm">Albegensians</a>.
----------
M*W: There is a historical record of this. It's called Malleus Maleficarum. www.malleusmaleficarum.org/
----------
Well, I hope you realize that these people are not bible believing Christians. In fact, all throughout the middles ages, only a few could read. The sole owner the bibles and Scriptures was the Church. It was so expensive to produce one that there would be perhaps one bible per town.
----------
M*W: Yes, that's true, but the scribes who "copied" the texts did so at the direction of the Catholic fathers.
----------
The antichrist has not come yet because the evil in the world is not great enough.
----------
M*W: You've got to be kidding!
----------
As for the truth, the Holy Spirit will lead you to all truth. Decernment is knowing whether he is following the Holy Spirit or his own ideas.
----------
M*W: This is true. I believe in the Holy Spirit and in the gift of discernment. I experienced great discernment when I was at St. Peter's.
----------
Peter says somewhere in 1 Peter that all revelation is a public matter.
----------
M*W: Problem is, not everyone believes the same thing. All revelation should be a public matter, but it is not. Egos have divided the truth. Now, no organized religion can attest to the truth.
----------
M*W: Perhaps in time, okinrus, you will have revelations of your own. Whether you believe or not does not have any impact on what will be. You may be surprised.

M*W: okinrus, we are united with the human race. We share interconnectedness with one another. Jesus was an EXAMPLE of human perfection. He was ONLY an example. He did not need to die for our salvation.
All examples that are true underpin a deeper concept. Unfortunately, if Jesus was an example, then he must be an example of something. This, as you say, is human perfection defined by whim of a human being, namely yourself.

M*W: Long before Christians incorporated baptism by water, it was done ritually by the Greeks. They dunked them until they believed what the Greeks wanted them to believe.
I don't believe baptism was done by the Greek in general. Rather it was done by the Essenes and some other Jewish sects.

M*W: There is a historical record of this. It's called Malleus Maleficarum. www.malleusmaleficarum.org/
No, the Malleus Maleficarum means the acts of witchcraft, I believe. It describes what witches do. I read over the site a little. It does not seem to support the numbers that was posted before. Sixty-eight million is much larger than 600,000. Nevertheless, my point was that there is no historical numbers. These are all estimates, and I find it unlikley that so many would die to the Church inquisition since practically all of the clergy would, then, have to hold the office of the inquisitor.

To be called a heretic or tried as a heretic, one must already be a baptised and Catholic. It's canon law.

M*W, I don't have to defend myself. Abortionist kill millions of unborn babies each year. For example, what would happen if the Church had killed Martin Luther? Would that have saved mankind from the hundred years war and the atrocities commited in Ireland?

M*W: Why is baptism necessary? We are all baptised in our amniotic fluid before we're born. There's no such thing as being "born again."
Since you say you were a Catechism teacher, you should know that the Catechism does not limit God to salvation through baptism, only that the Church knows of no other way.

M*W: This is true. I believe in the Holy Spirit and in the gift of discernment. I experienced great discernment when I was at St. Peter's.
Perhaps. Some of the stuff you said suggest that you had already fallen from your faith. What angered me was that you forced baptism on infants. It's wrong. To not see that as wrong, as a practicing Catholic, suggest that you were already misguided since I know that the holy Spirit did not tell you do so. Your other mistake is in believing that true discerment is in your suroundings. True discernment does not just see exterior of yourself, but within yourself.

M*W: Problem is, not everyone believes the same thing. All revelation should be a public matter, but it is not. Egos have divided the truth. Now, no organized religion can attest to the truth.
Revelation is different from belief..

okinrus said:
All examples that are true underpin a deeper concept. Unfortunately, if Jesus was an example, then he must be an example of something. This, as you say, is human perfection defined by whim of a human being, namely yourself.
----------
M*W: You may call it my "whim," but how do you know what I say is not true? You believe what you believe. Your mind is not open to anything outside of Christianity.
----------
I don't believe baptism was done by the Greek in general. Rather it was done by the Essenes and some other Jewish sects.
----------
M*W: I've read where it started with the Greeks. They would hold a person underwater until he accepted whatever it was they were professing. It was similar to the witch dunkings.
----------
No, the Malleus Maleficarum means the acts of witchcraft, I believe.
----------
M*W: No, "malleus" is "hammer." "Maleficarum" is the carrying out of evil.
----------
It describes what witches do.
----------
M*W: What about the 9 million women who weren't witches just village healers that were pointed at by the Patriarchy to be "tried" as witches? Of course, they had to make people "believe" these wise women were witches to save face with the Church.
----------
I read over the site a little. It does not seem to support the numbers that was posted before. Sixty-eight million is much larger than 600,000. Nevertheless, my point was that there is no historical numbers. These are all estimates, and I find it unlikley that so many would die to the Church inquisition since practically all of the clergy would, then, have to hold the office of the inquisitor.
----------
M*W: I compare the 9 million women who, although innocent, were murdered by the church of which you have no regard, yet you seem to detest the abortion of non-viable humans.
----------
To be called a heretic or tried as a heretic, one must already be a baptised and Catholic. It's canon law.
----------
M*W: And your point would be? A lot of these women were not Catholic nor were they persecutors. They were in Colonial America and were Protestant.
----------
M*W, I don't have to defend myself. Abortionist kill millions of unborn babies each year.
----------
M*W: okinrus, abortus are not babies. They are not living tissue outside the mother's womb. They do not have status as a citizen because they are not BORN!
----------
For example, what would happen if the Church had killed Martin Luther? Would that have saved mankind from the hundred years war and the atrocities commited in Ireland?
----------
M*W: I never give any thought to ML, although I've been at the exact church door where he nailed his 95 theses. I learned Catholicism. As far as I am concerned, Catholicism was the first and last "Christian" church. Protestantism is so filtered down, it doesn't compare with the RCC. Maybe I left the RCC, but any offshoots of Catholicism are even less Christian than the RCC. As far as I am concerned, Protestantism is a greater lie than the RCC.
----------
Since you say you were a Catechism teacher, you should know that the Catechism does not limit God to salvation through baptism, only that the Church knows of no other way.
----------
M*W: I am aware of this teaching.
----------
Perhaps. Some of the stuff you said suggest that you had already fallen from your faith. What angered me was that you forced baptism on infants. It's wrong. To not see that as wrong, as a practicing Catholic, suggest that you were already misguided since I know that the holy Spirit did not tell you do so.
----------
M*W: Who are YOU to judge ME? I asked my priest who plainly taught that it is okay to baptize any child without their parent's knowledge! I baptized my own children with holy water from Lourdes as soon as they were born. Then we went through the rite. You are certainly a judgmental young man. Perhaps you should give more of YOUR heart to humanity!
----------
Your other mistake is in believing that true discerment is in your suroundings. True discernment does not just see exterior of yourself, but within yourself.
----------
M*W: And you think I don't know this? Where do you think God's spirit resides? Within us! I never see the exterior of myself. That is NOT where I am! I'm not as shallow as you might think. In fact, I don't see the exterior of others. I always look into their soul.
----------
Revelation is different from belief..
----------
M*W: No shit, Sherlock! I've got quite a few years on you to have had all kinds of spiritual revelations. My beliefs don't change. You are parading yourself as if you don't have a soul. What hurt have you had in your life that caused you to have a hard heart? I detect a lot of fear coming out of you. What are you afraid of? Being hurt? Fear is the closest emotion to negativity. It kills. Open your heart, forgive everyone in your life, and start to live in the One Spirit of God.

M*W: You may call it my "whim," but how do you know what I say is not true? You believe what you believe. Your mind is not open to anything outside of Christianity.
Well, that's my point. It's useless for humans to define their own perfection. While your "whim" could be correct, there would be know way for you to know for sure.

M*W: I've read where it started with the Greeks. They would hold a person underwater until he accepted whatever it was they were professing. It was similar to the witch dunkings.
I've never read any such thing about the Greeks.

What about the 9 million women who weren't witches just village healers that were pointed at by the Patriarchy to be "tried" as witches? Of course, they had to make people "believe" these wise women were witches to save face with the Church.
Well, since you don't know for sure whether that's 600,000, 9 million or some other number, your point is moot. Furthermore, you can't even claim that these women were not witches.

M*W: And your point would be? A lot of these women were not Catholic nor were they persecuors. They were in Colonial America and were Protestant.
Don't even try... Protestants are of entirely different organization than the Church. You cannot put forth Protestant inquisitions as Catholic ones, and the thirteen or so women were killed in the Salem witch trials, not by men but by other women.

M*W: Who are YOU to judge ME? I asked my priest who plainly taught that it is okay to baptize any child without their parent's knowledge!
All I'm suggesting is that what you did before was "wrong" insofar as you were a Catholic. When I use wrong here, I mean that it deteroriates your faith, which is why I did not say that it was necessarily sinful. In fact, from what you said it does not seem that you are in any way morally responsible for the action, but that does not mean that the effects of the action won't be present.

Although there were some Catholic theologians such as Augustine that said that the Jews should be forcebly baptised against their parents will, Thomas Aquinas rejected this. Namely because forced baptism was never practiced by the Church and since the baptised would most likely not keep the baptism vows, it makes a mockery of the sacrament. Now, that you are not a Catholic you are free to baptise however you like. However, priest can and do make mistakes.

You can read a debate of this topic <a href="http://www.cin.org/archives/cinporch/200102/0204.html">here</a>.

:) Yo Visitor,

Quote Visitor
"The truth is so close to error in this day that the scriptures say it would deceive the "very elect" if it were posible.....but it's not."

Why would god want to almost decieve his "very elect" ?

Quote Visitor
"All the world shall be deceived and worship the image of the beast, who's names are not on the Lamb's book of life."

Why is god playing games? Who gets to be in the lambs book of life?

Allcare

okinrus said:
Well, that's my point. It's useless for humans to define their own perfection. While your "whim" could be correct, there would be know way for you to know for sure.
----------
M*W: It is NOT useless for humans to define their own perfection. In fact, I believe it is EXPECTED for humans to do so. This would eliminate some of the hatred in the world. I don't purport that this perfection we are evolving toward will be in our lifetime. Most likely, it won't. We're just not all that evolved yet, but we are definitely on our way.
----------
I've never read any such thing about the Greeks.
----------
M*W: I know that one of these days when I'm not looking for the source, I will find it and cite it for you. It's been a long while back since I read it, but I feel sure I still have the book, maybe in storage.
----------
Well, since you don't know for sure whether that's 600,000, 9 million or some other number, your point is moot. Furthermore, you can't even claim that these women were not witches.
----------
M*W: I don't believe I have ever quoted the number 600,000. As far as I have learned, it was nine million women who were murdered for witchcraft. This number still stands. PBS had a series several years ago about the burning times in Salem, MA. Have you ever seen the play/motion picture of Arthur Miller's The Crucible? I believe I have heard that 6,000,000 Jews were killed in the Holocaust.
----------
Don't even try... Protestants are of entirely different organization than the Church. You cannot put forth Protestant inquisitions as Catholic ones, and the thirteen or so women were killed in the Salem witch trials, not by men but by other women.
----------
M*W: This may be true. Some women fingered some innocent women so as to take the heat off themselves.
----------
All I'm suggesting is that what you did before was "wrong" insofar as you were a Catholic.
----------
M*W: No, I stand by my action. At the time, I was a believing Catholic. I do not regret my sincere intent in the event the parents chose not to baptise their infant. I did it "just in case." My priest knew about it and encouraged me since I was in a position to have contact with infants.
----------
When I use wrong here, I mean that it deteroriates your faith, which is why I did not say that it was necessarily sinful. In fact, from what you said it does not seem that you are in any way morally responsible for the action, but that does not mean that the effects of the action won't be present.
----------
M*W: It did not deteriorate my faith, in fact, it built my faith up to be put in those situations by God where I could do his work. I believe those infants to have truly received the rite of baptism regardless of their parents beliefs.
----------
Although there were some Catholic theologians such as Augustine that said that the Jews should be forcebly baptised against their parents will, Thomas Aquinas rejected this. Namely because forced baptism was never practiced by the Church and since the baptised would most likely not keep the baptism vows, it makes a mockery of the sacrament. Now, that you are not a Catholic you are free to baptise however you like. However, priest can and do make mistakes.
----------
M*W: I do not care what Augustine and Aquinas believed. I do what I believe. I have just as much spiritual right as they do. Their "connection" to the One Spirit of God is no greater than mine or yours.

M*W: I don't believe I have ever quoted the number 600,000. As far as I have learned, it was nine million women who were murdered for witchcraft.
Well, unless if you can cite sources that have combed through all of the burnings of witches done explicitly by the Church(by the way, there is practically no extensive documentation) then it's worthless. You are also not clarifying whether you are speaking of the burnings done by the Church or secular goverments. Spain and protestant countries such as England also had Inquisitions. Attributing deaths to disparate, and sometimes opposing groups, is ineffective.

The Church herself rarely punished a witch by burning, since the witch would have to remain unrepentant throughout her inquisition.

This number still stands. PBS had a series several years ago about the burning times in Salem, MA. Have you ever seen the play/motion picture of Arthur Miller's The Crucible? I believe I have heard that 6,000,000 Jews were killed in the Holocaust.
Yes, I've seen the Crucible. It should not be accepted as completely factual. Relatively few "witches"(I can get you number if you'd like. I think it's only something like 50) were killed by the puritans since there were not that many witches to go around. The gender argument, while true that men who were giving more minor punishments than women, is also invalid simply because all of the accusers were women accusing women.

The Holocaust has less to do with religion and more to do with racial superiority and xenophobia. But if that many witches in the small population were killed during the Inquisition, then it's impact on the population would strikingly apparent.

okinrus said:
Well, unless if you can cite sources that have combed through all of the burnings of witches done explicitly by the Church(by the way, there is practically no extensive documentation) then it's worthless.
M*W: SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY POST TO OKINRUS--IT JUST DISAPPEARED! I'll start over:
M*W: I will search some sources and get back to you on this.
You are also not clarifying whether you are speaking of the burnings done by the Church or secular goverments.
M*W: Whether it was the RCC or secular governments matters not. The stem of the witch burnings came from the edict of the Malleus Maleficarum which was written by some priests in Germany. I'll check this out, too. Secular governments during those times were church-based. The church and state were ONE.
Spain and protestant countries such as England also had Inquisitions.
M*W: They all migrated from the RCC out and upward from Rome even to Protestant Colonial America.
Attributing deaths to disparate, and sometimes opposing groups, is ineffective.
M*W: That's called "trickle down with extermination."
The Church herself rarely punished a witch by burning, since the witch would have to remain unrepentant throughout her inquisition.
M*W: The one accused of being a "witch" was tried in such a way that if she was dunked and lived, she was deemed a "witch" and would be burnt. If she were dunked and drowned, she received
"God's due punishment."
Yes, I've seen the Crucible. It should not be accepted as completely factual.
M*W: The point I was trying to make about The Crucible is that some of the seizure-type afflictions the girls had may have come from their ingesting roots and herbs, which I have always said could have been the cause. Other girls may have acted as seizing for peer pressure or just for the fun of it. Some girls pointed fingers at others to protect their lives.
Relatively few "witches"(I can get you number if you'd like. I think it's only something like 50) were killed by the puritans since there were not that many witches to go around.
M*W: Even five "witches" seems extravagant. The true evil ones were the inquisitors and not the young women or old midwives.
The gender argument, while true that men who were giving more minor punishments than women, is also invalid simply because all of the accusers were women accusing women.
M*W: This is not true. The men used the women to testify against other women to justify their end. It was the men (the patriarchy) who were possessed, not the women. It was unadulterated misogyny.
The Holocaust has less to do with religion and more to do with racial superiority and xenophobia. But if that many witches in the small population were killed during the Inquisition, then it's impact on the population would strikingly apparent.
M*W: The Holocaust has everything to do with religion as well as racial superiority and xenophobia. Hitler also targeted Catholics. Did you know that? That's when the church became Hitler's ally. Exactly what "small population" were you speaking of? I'm talking all of Europe and Early America! It may have gone as far Eastern as Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia and Romania because Gypsies were burned, too. I will do some research and get back to you.
M*W: Encyclopedia of Heresies and Heretics, Chas S. Clifton, Barnes & Noble, NY, NY 1992 ISBN: 0-7607-0823-1:

"As an institution, particularly in its later, Spanish phase, many of the Inquisition's activities are dealing as it does with heresy before the Protestant Reformation. Many of the actual witchcraft persecutions were performed by Protestants and occurred not during the Middle Ages but during the religiously troubled sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. During that period, the people of Western Europe having seen the monolithis RCC shaken to its roots by the great reformers, lost some of their old certainties and perceived Satanic evil lurking closer than ever before. In contrast, from the days of the early church until the rise of Albigensian and Waldensian heresies around 1200, heresy hunting was primarily the concern of individual bishops."

"The church no longer relied on persuasion or moral authority to enforce its doctrines, but turned instead to naked force, cloaked with the pious deception that it was not actually the church imprisoning or executing but rather the secular authorities. The church saw heresy as endangering not just society's body--like common criminality--but its very soul. Dissenters came to characterize the church as the "woman drunken with the blood of the saints" described in Revelation 17:6. In setting up the Inquisition, the RCC was only continuing the tendency found throughout the Old and New Testaments to read spiritual messages in political events; to see heresy as a threat to the state was a logical outgrowth of that tendency."

"The medieval Inquisition, which reached its pinnacle of power in the late thirteenth century, was largely staffed by Dominican monks, members of a preaching order begun by St. Dominic in 1216. These monks frequently made a pun on their name in Latin: domine cani or, loosely, "God's dogs"--a pack of black-and-white hounds pursuing heretics. By the 1220s, some Franciscan monks were also employed by the Inquisition for their skill in preaching and turning the people awawy from heretical doctrines; they were officially called to inquisitorial work by Pope Innocent IV in 1246."

"The inquisition's formal beginning is often dated to a decree of Pope Gregory IX, who in 1231 ordered that repentant heretics be imprisoned for life and those who refused to recant their heresy be turned over to secular authorities for executon. (By doing so, Gregory apparently was trying to keep the Inquisition under church control."

"In a subsequent bull, Innocent IV divided Europe between the Dominicans and the Franciscans for the purpose of heresy hunting. The Franciscans were given central and northeastern Italy, plus southeastern France, Poland, Dalmatia, Bohemia, Croatia, Serbia, Hungary, and Christian-controlled parts of Palestine and Syria. The Dominicans were given other parts of Italy, northern and southwestern France, Germany, and Austria. Both orders operated in Burgundy and Christian-controlled portions of the Iberian peninsula."

"As inquisitors searched for heretics, they needed uniform processes and procedures to follow. Although the most notorious of these, the MALLEUS MALEFICARUM (Hammer of witches), was not written until the 1400s, earlier inquisitors' manuals were prepared in the years following Gregory IX's constitution."

"The papal Inquisition was never such a force in England, the Low Countries, or Scandinavia, although the English parliamentary act of 1401 passed to combat the Kikkardsm reokucated nabt if uts featyres, (The Spanish Inquisition, however, would carry out a bloody persecuation of Dutch Protestants.)"

The modern equivalent of the Inquisition is a section of Vatican bureaucracy known as the Cogregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, which periodically condemns certain Catholic theologians and professors for heretucal tendancies. One example is the one-year "silencing" of the Dominican priest Matthew Fox of Holy Names College in Oakland, CA, in 1988."
N*W: I have to run now, but I will be back later with more information.

Medicine Woman said:
okinrus said:
Well, unless if you can cite sources that have combed through all of the burnings of witches done explicitly by the Church(by the way, there is practically no extensive documentation) then it's worthless.
M*W: SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY POST TO OKINRUS--IT JUST DISAPPEARED! I'll start over:
M*W: I will search some sources and get back to you on this.
You are also not clarifying whether you are speaking of the burnings done by the Church or secular goverments.
M*W: Whether it was the RCC or secular governments matters not. The stem of the witch burnings came from the edict of the Malleus Maleficarum which was written by some priests in Germany. I'll check this out, too. Secular governments during those times were church-based. The church and state were ONE.
Spain and protestant countries such as England also had Inquisitions.
M*W: They all migrated from the RCC out and upward from Rome even to Protestant Colonial America.
Attributing deaths to disparate, and sometimes opposing groups, is ineffective.
M*W: The one accused of being a "witch" was tried in such a way that if she was dunked and lived, she was deemed a "witch" and would be burnt. If she were dunked and drowned, she received
"God's due punishment."
Yes, I've seen the Crucible. It should not be accepted as completely factual.
M*W: The point I was trying to make about The Crucible is that some of the seizure-type afflictions the girls had may have come from their ingesting roots and herbs, which I have always said could have been the cause. Other girls may have acted as seizing for peer pressure or just for the fun of it. Some girls pointed fingers at others to protect their lives.
Relatively few "witches"(I can get you number if you'd like. I think it's only something like 50) were killed by the puritans since there were not that many witches to go around.
M*W: Even five "witches" seems extravagant. The true evil ones were the inquisitors and not the young women or old midwives.
The gender argument, while true that men who were giving more minor punishments than women, is also invalid simply because all of the accusers were women accusing women.
M*W: This is not true. The men used the women to testify against other women to justify their end. It was the men (the patriarchy) who were possessed, not the women. It was unadulterated misogyny.
M*W: The Holocaust has everything to do with religion as well as racial superiority and xenophobia. Hitler also targeted Catholics. Did you know that? That's when the church became Hitler's ally. Exactly what "small population" were you speaking of? I'm talking all of Europe and Early America! It may have gone as far Eastern as Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia and Romania because Gypsies were burned, too. I will do some research and get back to you.
M*W: Encyclopedia of Heresies and Heretics, Chas S. Clifton, Barnes & Noble, NY, NY 1992 ISBN: 0-7607-0823-1:

"As an institution, particularly in its later, Spanish phase, many of the Inquisition's activities are dealing as it does with heresy before the Protestant Reformation. Many of the actual witchcraft persecutions were performed by Protestants and occurred not during the Middle Ages but during the religiously troubled sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. During that period, the people of Western Europe having seen the monolithis RCC shaken to its roots by the great reformers, lost some of their old certainties and perceived Satanic evil lurking closer than ever before. In contrast, from the days of the early church until the rise of Albigensian and Waldensian heresies around 1200, heresy hunting was primarily the concern of individual bishops."

"The church no longer relied on persuasion or moral authority to enforce its doctrines, but turned instead to naked force, cloaked with the pious deception that it was not actually the church imprisoning or executing but rather the secular authorities. The church saw heresy as endangering not just society's body--like common criminality--but its very soul. Dissenters came to characterize the church as the "woman drunken with the blood of the saints" described in Revelation 17:6. In setting up the Inquisition, the RCC was only continuing the tendency found throughout the Old and New Testaments to read spiritual messages in political events; to see heresy as a threat to the state was a logical outgrowth of that tendency."

"The medieval Inquisition, which reached its pinnacle of power in the late thirteenth century, was largely staffed by Dominican monks, members of a preaching order begun by St. Dominic in 1216. These monks frequently made a pun on their name in Latin: domine cani or, loosely, "God's dogs"--a pack of black-and-white hounds pursuing heretics. By the 1220s, some Franciscan monks were also employed by the Inquisition for their skill in preaching and turning the people awawy from heretical doctrines; they were officially called to inquisitorial work by Pope Innocent IV in 1246."

"The inquisition's formal beginning is often dated to a decree of Pope Gregory IX, who in 1231 ordered that repentant heretics be imprisoned for life and those who refused to recant their heresy be turned over to secular authorities for executon. (By doing so, Gregory apparently was trying to keep the Inquisition under church control."

"In a subsequent bull, Innocent IV divided Europe between the Dominicans and the Franciscans for the purpose of heresy hunting. The Franciscans were given central and northeastern Italy, plus southeastern France, Poland, Dalmatia, Bohemia, Croatia, Serbia, Hungary, and Christian-controlled parts of Palestine and Syria. The Dominicans were given other parts of Italy, northern and southwestern France, Germany, and Austria. Both orders operated in Burgundy and Christian-controlled portions of the Iberian peninsula."

"As inquisitors searched for heretics, they needed uniform processes and procedures to follow. Although the most notorious of these, the MALLEUS MALEFICARUM (Hammer of witches), was not written until the 1400s, earlier inquisitors' manuals were prepared in the years following Gregory IX's constitution."

"The papal Inquisition was never such a force in England, the Low Countries, or Scandinavia, although the English parliamentary act of 1401 passed to combat the Kikkardsm replicated many of its features. (The Spanish Inquisition, however, would carry out a bloody persecuation of Dutch Protestants.)"

"The modern equivalent of the Inquisition is a section of Vatican bureaucracy known as the Cogregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, which periodically condemns certain Catholic theologians and professors for heretucal tendancies. One example is the one-year "silencing" of the Dominican priest Matthew Fox of Holy Names College in Oakland, CA, in 1988."
M*W: I have to run now, but I will be back later with more information.
M*W: Wow, I guess I was in a real hurry! Sorry for the mistakes! Let me rewrite some of the mistyped citations. I corrected the last para starting with "The modern equivalent...."
M*W: "The Canon Episopi was an ecclesiastical legal document of unknown origin, the Canon Episcopi was an obstacle to the late medieval inquisitors who treated witchcraft as heresy. It has also been cited as evidence that pre-Christian Paganism coexisted with Christianity into at least the early Middle Ages."

"The Canon Episcopy was first publicized in about 906 by Regino of Prum, the abbot of Treves (or Trier, a city in western Germany), who claimed it had originated in the fourth century. It then passsed into the body of religious law."

"It established that witchcraft as commonly imagined was a delusion. What constituted heresy was the belief in the reality of witchcraft, not witchcraft itself. At the same time, the canon's author accepted the reality of sorcery and traffic with the devil."

"The true Canon Episcopi denied the reality of transvection, or witches flying throught the air from place to place, as well as denying the common tales of witches transforming themselves into cats, horses, beetles, and other creatures."

"Witchcraft trials ******** society, providing the perfect opportunity for settling rivate quarrels. Friedrich von Spee, a Jesuit who denounced the persecution of witches in the early 1600sm wrote that, "if only the trials be steadily continued, nobody is safe, no matter of what sex, fortune, condition, or dignity If any enemy or detractor wishes to bring a person under suspicion of witchcraft" In 1592, anoter disapproving priest, Cornelious Loos, commented on the businesslike atmosphere of witchcraft trials, where everything was itemized down to the cost of firewood: "Wretched creatures are compelled by the severity of the torture to confess things they have never done, and so by cruel butchery innocent lives are taken; and, by a new alchemy, gold and silver are coined from human blood."

"The imaage of Inquisitors sending convicted witches to the stake is lodged firmly in modern minds even though many witch trials took place after the Reformation (and hence took place outside the borders of this work). Historians favoring Catholicism or Protestantism still trade accusations over which branch of Christianity sent more accused witches to the stake or gallows: the Catholics in France, Italy, Spain, Poland, portions of the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Germany, and elsewhere, or the Protestants in their portions of those countries and in Sweden, Denmark, Scotland, England, and the American colonies. Herbert Thurston, a Jesuit historian, wrote that witch-burnings only began in Denmark and Transylvania after the Reformation. He noted that "...the Protestant states, which would have nothing to say even to Gregory XIII's urgently needed reform of the calendar, simply because it came from Rome, were foremost in employing torture and fire in the extirpation of witches...the reformers seem to have been more keen and cruel in the pursuit than the adherents of the ancient faith, and that secular courts willingly carried on the persecution even in the absence of the Inquisition. On the other hand, Patrick Collinson, and English historian, stated flatly in a recent work that "Catholics burnt more witches than did Protestants."

M*W: I could go on, but I will stop here for the time being. I hope this answers your questions.

It matters a whole lot. There is certain fallacy in believing that Church and state were one throughout the middle ages. It does not mean that every decision that the state made was made by the Church.

No, the fact remains that the Protestants were independent of the Church. The Churches inquisition was probably a fair amount more formal than the Protestants and punishments differed.

Your not making any sense. Not differentiating between the Catholic inquisition and Protestant inquisition, would be like putting Jews in the same class as Christians. The degree of separation between the Protestants and Catholics was far greater than it is now.

You have absolutely no evidence of this. I have read four essays that give possible explanations of the Salem witch trials. They are <em>Economic and Political Causes</em>, <em>Gender Tensions</em>, <em>Character Traits</em>, and <em>Religious Tensions</em>. None of them suggest the sort misogyny that you are speaking of. For example, John Demons in <em>Character Traits</em> says <blockquote>
An easy hypothesis--perhaps to easy--would make of witchcraft a single plank in a platform of "sexist" oppression...[After admitting that puritan society was male dominated] There is little sign of generalized conflict between the sexes. Male dominance of public affairs was scarcely an issue, and in private life there was considerable scope for female initiative. Considered overall, the relations of men and women were less contrained by differences than latter generations of Americans...And one final point in this connection: a large portion of witchcraft charges were brought against women <em>by</em> other women. Thus, if the fear of witchcraft expressed a deep strain of misogyny, it was something in which both sexes shared....

M*W: The Holocaust has everything to do with religion as well as racial superiority and xenophobia. Hitler also targeted Catholics. Did you know that? That's when the church became Hitler's ally.
The Church has never been Hitler's ally, though it's possible that before Hitler's true intentions were made evident the Church support him to further attack communism.

Exactly what "small population" were you speaking of? I'm talking all of Europe and Early America! It may have gone as far Eastern as Hungary, Poland, Yugoslavia and Romania because Gypsies were burned, too. I will do some research and get back to you.
Well, if your speaking of lynching, then you can hardly blame the Church for those crimes... In fact, if you were to say that the majority of the burnings were lynchings, than you would support the Inquisition since a trial by an authority is far better than the mob.

"As an institution, particularly in its later, Spanish phase, many of the Inquisition's activities are dealing as it does with heresy before the Protestant Reformation. Many of the actual witchcraft persecutions were performed by Protestants and occurred not during the Middle Ages but during the religiously troubled sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
Yes, when someone uses the word Church it refers specifically to the Catholic church alone.

During that period, the people of Western Europe having seen the monolithis RCC shaken to its roots by the great reformers, lost some of their old certainties and perceived Satanic evil lurking closer than ever before.
Well, was the Catholic church stoping the spread of

In contrast, from the days of the early church until the rise of Albigensian and Waldensian heresies around 1200, heresy hunting was primarily the concern of individual bishops."
The inquisition was developed primary to stop the spread of heresies such as the Albigensians. A cursory glance at history would show that proper teachings in the faith stops war, and that stoping these heresies meant stoping a war. In every case that a heresy rose to power, whether it be the Albigensians or the Protestants, there was always a bloody war. Why wait? And no the Catholics did not cause this war. They murdered Peter of Castelnau... http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/gui-cathars.html http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/heresy1.html http://brandt.kurowski.net/projects/lsa/wiki/view.cgi?doc=520 Plainly something much be done about them, so the Church founded the order of St. Dominic to combat heresy by preaching. Since most of the common people could not read, someone could lie by "the bible says this", and no one would notice.

"The medieval Inquisition, which reached its pinnacle of power in the late thirteenth century, was largely staffed by Dominican monks, members of a preaching order begun by St. Dominic in 1216.
St. Dominic was combating the Albgensians, a heresy that if allowed to spread would mean certain death to Europe or enslavement under the Muslims. Members of the Albigensians would commit suicide by starving themselves. From what I've read, though, St. Dominic only attended one witch burning; there is famous painting of it, and the order of St. Dominic was primarily a preaching order.

St. Dominic was combating the Albgensians, a heresy that if allowed to spread would mean certain death to Europe or enslavement under the Muslims

The truth is that the church had no choice but to brand the Cathars heretics. Their ascetic and peaceful way of life was evidently incompatible with the affluent and corrupted lives of the clergy.

The truth is that the church had no choice but to brand the Cathars heretics. Their ascetic and peaceful way of life was evidently incompatible with the affluent and corrupted lives of the clergy.
The majority of Albengensians, who were not perfects, were neither ascetic or peaceful, but it really would not matter insofar as heresy is concern. Anyone who is baptised Catholic, yet turns away from the faith has become a "heretic". As for it being incompatible, yes, suicide by starving oneself, because of the belief that the world is evil, and rejecting the sacrament of marriage is incompatible with the faith.

Back