Why Would God be Asking Questions?

Arch_Rival,

If he does not know, he is not omniscient, i.e. he cannot know the future, at least with regards to your decision.

As omniscience is part of his characteristics, we can rule this out.

If he does know, it means there is eventually only one predetermined path you will make, i.e. your perception that you have a choice is an illusion.

It is predetermined that eventually and ultimately, only one path can be made. But you don't need to be omniscient to understand this. And it makes sense that perception of choice is an illusion. But if it is an illusion, then something must be real, thus the choice is reality, or illusion. If one is situated in reality then there is no question of choice as everything else is known to be illusion.

If this is so, then it means someone or something, not necessarily God, has already predetermined your fate right from the start.

This something is the absolute truth.

Which raises the question: Can you really be faulted for your crimes?

I suppose it ultimately depends on your intention.

jan.

God as both Question(er) and Answer(er)

The Universe is the infinite playground of the Infinite being and if that Infinite Being wishes to be a God asking Cain a question (or be Cain answering one), then the Infinite Being has every right to do so.

We are all God in disguise playing at forgetting and remembering. We are the activity of God.. and so were Cain and his brother, and your Dentist, and David Letterman, lol... We are what God wants to do.

Jan Ardena:
Why else would an omniscient being ask a question it knows the answer to?

Surely you can see the error in your reasoning, Jan? You assume that 'God is omniscient' is axiomatic, and then you interpret biblical passages around that axiom.

PsychoticEpisode,

Did the scribes err by including passages where God asks questions? ”

I think you have jumped to a conclusion, believing you have found an obvious contradiction, and wish to amuse folks with this find.

Contradiction? What I meant was..... did ghostwriting scribes unwittingly undermine or invalidate God's omniscience by having Him ask questions?

Jan, if you can accept that the scribe's words are not God's then He remains omniscient. However, if you do, then the credibility of the entire Bible is suspect.

Last edited:
Arch_Rival,

As omniscience is part of his characteristics, we can rule this out.

It is predetermined that eventually and ultimately, only one path can be made. But you don't need to be omniscient to understand this. And it makes sense that perception of choice is an illusion. But if it is an illusion, then something must be real, thus the choice is reality, or illusion. If one is situated in reality then there is no question of choice as everything else is known to be illusion.

This something is the absolute truth.

I suppose it ultimately depends on your intention.

jan.

You are headed in the right direction, but you lack the reasoning, for this the real truth will always elude you. Think about omniscience and omnipotence and what it means to be God. Then answer lies there.

PsychoticEpisode,

....did ghostwriting scribes unwittingly undermine or invalidate God's omniscience by having Him ask questions?

Your jumping the gun here, by assuming that God's omniscience has been invalidated or undermined.
You also assume that God does not know the answers to the question he asked, hence he cannot be omniscient.

The other obvious option is that the scribes didn't undermine or invalidate his status, and that he is omniscient, but asked the question for the benefit of Adam and Cain, and the people who read scriptures.

you can accept that the scribe's words are not God's then He remains omniscient. However, if you do, then the credibility of the entire Bible is suspect.

So this is the point, you are seeking to win by posing this as a paradox
The problem is, PsycoticEpisode, the rules of the game have already been laid
out, God is omniscient, and God does ask question. Maybe there is something about the nature of omniscience and an omniscient being that we don't fully understand.

jan.

You are headed in the right direction, but you lack the reasoning, for this the real truth will always elude you. Think about omniscience and omnipotence and what it means to be God. Then answer lies there.

I would suggest the answer lies in our own selves, rather than what it means to be God.
Reality or Illusion, it must come down to that, otherwise there is no point or meaning to anything.

jan.

Jan Ardena:

Surely you can see the error in your reasoning, Jan? You assume that 'God is omniscient' is axiomatic, and then you interpret biblical passages around that axiom.

If you really think about it, I am not assuming anything. As far as I know God is described as omniscient, not that I wish it, or believe it. The assumption comes from those that claim he cannot be omniscient.

jan.

I don't see anything wrong with God asking questions, toying with men, feigning ignorance, affecting a barefaced innocence—it gives Him character.

I don't see anything wrong with God asking questions, toying with men, feigning ignorance, affecting a barefaced innocence—it gives Him character.
If your statement isn't sarcasm....
too bad your statement there, should it be true, invalidates god's 'mercifulness'. Mercy and your statement above are not compatible.
At best your statement would show that god is not the all-loving god that he is portrayed to be, and that god was nowhere near worth worshipping.
And if he's indeed not the merciful, loving god, and people like you and Jan are ok with that, then you really have no reason to worship a god like that other than out of fear of going to hell. And if that's the case, that makes god nothing more than a two bit dictator "You will follow what I say or you will die (i.e. go to hell for eternity)"
I'm really failing to see how this seems to elude your perception.

mikenostic,

If your statement isn't sarcasm....
too bad your statement there, should it be true, invalidates god's 'mercifulness'. Mercy and your statement above are not compatible.
At best your statement would show that god is not the all-loving god that he is portrayed to be, and that god was nowhere near worth worshipping.

You say that as if it is obvious.
Can you please spell out why mercy and that statement are incompatible?

And if that's the case, that makes god nothing more than a two bit dictator "You will follow what I say or you will die (i.e. go to hell for eternity)"
I'm really failing to see how this seems to elude your perception.

This is a pretty bold and outspoken ending, but the middle bit, the reasoning, seems all vague and gooey, while at the same time, very obvious.
Please elaborate on the mid-section so I can understand the end-section.

thanks in advance.
jan.

Benevolent deities do not subject their supposedly greatest creation to a stupid ass test, that the supposedly omniescent deity already knows the creation will fail.

You say it as if you know, but you do not.
What you have said aren't facts but your own reality to the story.

You say that as if it is obvious.
When you apply common sense and use reasoning to explain something like this, it is pretty obvious.

Can you please spell out why mercy and that statement are incompatible?
I will be happy to!
God asking questions, toying with men, feigning ignorance, affecting a barefaced innocence—it gives Him character
Let's break it down piece by piece. Asking questions: an all-knowing god does not need to ask questions, as he already knows the answer (obvious when you apply common sense, not so obvious when faith-based emotions cloud your judgment).
Toying with men: honestly Jan, does this even need to be explained? That is not a characteristic of a benevolent deity (again, common sense...). Then I guess since it's OK for a 'merciful' god to toy with men, then I should be morally allowed to 'toy' with women so I can get some no strings attached sex?
Feigning ignorance: That's the same thing as 'bearing false witness'. I don't thin kthat should be explained any further.
Affecting a barefaced innocence: If I interpret this statement correctly, that's nothing more than corrupting purity. Sounds a lot like 'sin' to me.

This is a pretty bold and outspoken ending, but the middle bit, the reasoning, seems all vague and gooey, while at the same time, very obvious.
Please elaborate on the mid-section so I can understand the end-section.
According to the bible, what happens to you if you do not get saved/if you do not accept Jesus Christ as your savior?
1. go to heaven
2. go to hell
According to history, what happened to any Russian citizen who spoke out or went against Stalin?
1. allowed to go free
2. shot/killed

You say it as if you know, but you do not.
What you have said aren't facts but your own reality to the story.
I do not know, thus the reason that I am an agnostic. In case you forgot what one was, here is the definition again:
ag⋅nos⋅tic   /ægˈnɒstɪk/ [ag-nos-tik]

–noun 1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
–adjective
First bold statement should answer your first statement above.
Second bold statement: I base my speculations and hypotheses on common sense and reasoning.
You can respond by saying that yeah, there are things that we don't see, blah blah, and I understand that. However, back in biblical times, there were quite a few things that happened back then that could not be explained by the people. They were dismissed as divine intervention. When a lot of those things that happened can now today, be explained scientifically. I'll be happy to cite some examples, but you have access to Google just as quickly as I do.
Let's take air for example. We can't see it, but we know it's there. However, does that mean that because we can't see air, that it's some mysterious, elusive spirit? No. It's just that the molecules that air, a gas, is composed of are spaced out much farther apart than if air was a solid.

lol, that's pretty funny...but guys ask a lot of questions to ya know.
Guys are the only ones who ask questions. It's kinda hard for a woman to ask questions when she is too busy babbling on and on about herself.
ZING!!!!!
:D

Guys are the only ones who ask questions. It's kinda hard for a woman to ask questions when she is too busy babbling on and on about herself.
ZING!!!!!
:D

You can't image how much my ego is hurting after such a statement.
Like seriously, this happened to me yesterday at the mall when i was like with my like friends and some guy told me to like not shop lift and I was all like no way I can do what ever i want, this country is free.

I do not know, thus the reason that I am an agnostic. In case you forgot what one was, here is the definition again:

First bold statement should answer your first statement above.
Second bold statement: I base my speculations and hypotheses on common sense and reasoning.
You can respond by saying that yeah, there are things that we don't see, blah blah, and I understand that. However, back in biblical times, there were quite a few things that happened back then that could not be explained by the people. They were dismissed as divine intervention. When a lot of those things that happened can now today, be explained scientifically. I'll be happy to cite some examples, but you have access to Google just as quickly as I do.
Let's take air for example. We can't see it, but we know it's there. However, does that mean that because we can't see air, that it's some mysterious, elusive spirit? No. It's just that the molecules that air, a gas, is composed of are spaced out much farther apart than if air was a solid.

No way bro! your agnostic too!
Excuse me but art thou making assumptions?
I see both sides, therefore I am agnostic

Your jumping the gun here, by assuming that God's omniscience has been invalidated or undermined.
You also assume that God does not know the answers to the question he asked, hence he cannot be omniscient.

The other obvious option is that the scribes didn't undermine or invalidate his status, and that he is omniscient, but asked the question for the benefit of Adam and Cain, and the people who read scriptures.

Why does anyone ask a question they know the answer to? You're saying there is only one reason...to find out if those asked also know the answer. You're saying God knew the answer but wanted to hear it too? I think not, God does not play peek-a-boo with the universe.

A more likely scenario: Paraphrasing, God asks: Where are you? Sort of like....We know you're in there, we' ve got the place surrounded, come out with your hands up. There is an element of doubt to the exact position but a general certainty that it is in the area. However there is a chance that no one is where you think they are. So God is really saying: I'm relatively sure you're in the Garden of Eden somewhere, spare me the time for looking and come out, come out, wherever you are.

When is the last time you asked a question using one of the 5 W's knowing the answer?

You can't image how much my ego is hurting after such a statement.
Like seriously, this happened to me yesterday at the mall when i was like with my like friends and some guy told me to like not shop lift and I was all like no way I can do what ever i want, this country is free.
Oh whatever. If you can't see that my statement was some simple banter, well I just don't know what to tell you. :D

No way bro! your agnostic too!
Excuse me but art thou making assumptions?
I see both sides, therefore I am agnostic
It's not that I don't see both sides per se, I just don't rule anything out. While I'm not going to sit here and tell you that there is for sure NO supernatural powers at work under our noses. But in light of my life's observations, I just highly doubt they exist.
It's hard for me to respect someone's point of view when they are so caught up in blind faith, that they start disassociating themselves from reality, and just refuse to see things any other way; they're right and they know it, even if they don't have a shred of physical evidence to back it up. Like people who believe that the earth is literally 6,000 years old. Science has proven without a doubt that it is more than 6000 years (as we humans have recorded years) old.

As for religion (particularly the Abrahamic ones), there are just too many things (stories, scriptures, etc.) that just don't make sense; that just don't add up. For example, the bible more or less tells us to worship god, to glorify god. Well, if the bible were written by man, but under god's diction, it seems pretty arrogant to me. Add the 'free will' deal of 'you have the free will to choose between me and an eternity in hell', and now it just sounds evil.

It doesn't make sense to me that an all-loving, merciful god is going to give his supposedly greatest creation a deal like that. Would any of you parents subject your children to a fate like that, if they chose not to speak to you ever, or if they chose not to live the lifestyle you told them to live? Seems to me that god has some major control issues.
IMO, here's something a true fair, merciful deity would say, 'You are my children. For all of you that accept me/jesus, you will be allowed into heaven. If you do not, while you will not be allowed in heaven, if you have lived a good life, I will not subject you to an eternity in hell.'
Believe me, I was raised baptist. And I do want to believe that this is true, but too many things don't make sense, and even if it were all true, god doesn't sound like someone I want to follow or worship.

A more likely scenario: Paraphrasing, God asks: Where are you? Sort of like....We know you're in there, we' ve got the place surrounded, come out with your hands up. There is an element of doubt to the exact position but a general certainty that it is in the area. However there is a chance that no one is where you think they are. So God is really saying: I'm relatively sure you're in the Garden of Eden somewhere, spare me the time for looking and come out, come out, wherever you are.
While that does sound like a better explanation, it also makes god seem like an emotional thinking god. If he were a logical thinking one, he wouldn't have to restort to rhetorical questions. He would just say something like, 'Adam, Eve, get out from under that bush; yes I know you are under there, we need to talk.'

Back