why we need ghosts

Yes. About the same percentage of people are doing that who always did that. But now they all have cameras. If ghosts are real, pictures of them would have gone through the roof.

Ghosts are as rare and as random as they've always been. More cellphones isn't going to change that fact.

OK. So since the 'hauntings' are happening at about the same rate (rarely) and if people once got a few pictures of ghosts (which you claim they have) then we should see many, many more pictures of ghosts now if they were real.

No..people having cellphones isn't going to make ghosts appear more often. They're as rare as they've always been.

That's why there are so many pictures of those things posted on line. Google them yourself if you don't believe me.

No...people scared out of their wits aren't pulling out a camera taking a pic of what is scaring them. They are too busy reacting. Or running.

There's an assumption here that there aren't more cellphone pics of ghosts. How do you know this? You can find very many websites full of ghost pics as well as youtube videos. And not everyone posts their ghost pic online. Full body apparitions are extremely rare. You're just not going to get many good pics like that. More often they will be orbs or mists or shadows, which are things people take less seriously.

Last edited:
No..people having cellphones isn't going to make ghosts appear more often. They're as rare as they've always been
Yes, but more people have cameras to capture the rare events.
No...people scared out of their wits aren't pulling out a camera taking a pic of what is scaring them. They are too busy reacting. Or running.
Are you kidding? Everybody is a "news-hound".......:cool:

Ghosts are as rare and as random as they've always been. More cellphones isn't going to change that fact.
Correct.

But 30 years ago in the US, 1 in ~100 people walked around with a camera. Today it's 1 in ~2. So if ghosts appear at random to people, then pictures of them should have gone up by a factor of ~50. If, on the other hand, ghost sightings are all staged by a few attention seekers, then the number would stay about the same.

The number has stayed about the same.
No..people having cellphones isn't going to make ghosts appear more often. They're as rare as they've always been.
Correct. They will appear as often as ever. But if they are real they will be PHOTOGRAPHED 50 times more.
Ah. So you have never seen Youtube then? LOL! Get on line and do some learning.

But 30 years ago in the US, 1 in ~100 people walked around with a camera. Today it's 1 in ~2. So if ghosts appear at random to people, then pictures of them should have gone up by a factor of ~50. If, on the other hand, ghost sightings are all staged by a few attention seekers, then the number would stay about the same.

Assuming ofcourse they can pull out their cellphone and take a pic of a transient image or light or shadow. Most ghost sightings last only seconds. And like I said, one in a state of total terror at what you are seeing isn't thinking, "I've gotta get a picture of this." They're thinking "I've gotta get out of here." And like I said, there's just not that many people hanging out in haunted bldgs with or without cellphones at 3 in the morning.

Last edited:
Assuming ofcourse they can pull out their cellphone and take a pic of a transient image or light or shadow. Most ghost sightings last only seconds. And like I said, one in a state of total terror at what you are seeing isn't thinking, "I've gotta get a picture of this." They're thinking "I've gotta get out of here."
Then how do the recorded pictures appear in the news? Professional ghost hunters at "haunted sites" or just accidental pictures of random ghost appearances which have no relationship to any prior existence?
Just a natural phenomenon?

Then how do the recorded pictures appear in the news? Professional ghost hunters at "haunted sites" or just accidental pictures of random ghost appearances which have no relationship to any prior existence?
Just a natural phenomenon?

Usually accidental photos taken by tourists or of people. I have a whole thread on ghost photobombs. Explore it.

Assuming ofcourse they can pull out their cellphone and take a pic of a transient image or light or shadow.
Which they can do far easier today than 50 years ago.

Most ghost sightings last only seconds.
Same as 50 years ago.

And like I said, one in a state of total terror at what you are seeing isn't thinking, "I've gotta get a picture of this." They're thinking "I've gotta get out of here."
Same as 50 years ago.

And like I said, there's just not that many people hanging out in haunted bldgs with or without cellphones at 3 in the morning.
Same as 50 years ago.

So, where is the 50- to 1000-fold increase in sightings?

Well
Frankly, we agree.

Yet you keep insisting that they did manage to get all these pics.

So which is it?

Bit of a quandary there.

Well
Frankly, we agree.

Yet you keep insisting that they did manage to get all these pics.

So which is it?

Bit of a quandary there.

There are photos of ghosts online taken over many years. These are the clearest and most credible. I never said they are cellphone pics. And I never said there are thousands of them.

There are photos of ghosts online taken over many years. These are the clearest and most credible. I never said they are cellphone pics. And I never said there are thousands of them.
You are completely missing the point.
In other words, you are ignoring incoming evidence, in favour of a pet theory.

If ghosts were real, we would be swamped with spectacularly well-documented accounts with clear, high-rez, 4K video. This is inescapable.

For all the pics taken over the 20th century, we should have a thousand times more and a hundred times better quality, just in the last two decades.

We don't.

i.e. as witness quality gets better by orders of magnitude, ghost accounts go down.

Last edited:
ghosts were real, we would be swamped with spectacularly well-documented accounts with clear, high-rez, 4K video. This is inescapable.

Number one, ghosts are rather rare. You literally have to go out late at night and spend alot of time in a haunted place to get evidence of them. Number two, even at haunted places they don't show up every night. Some peculiar allignment of environmental energies only allows them to appear now and then. Number three, if confronted with a ghost, how many are going to have the presence of mind to take a picture of it with their cellphone? Likely not many. A paranormal encounter is an entirely immersive and emotional experience. You're not thinking, "I'd better photograph this for posterity."

Number one, ghosts are rather rare. You literally have to go out late at night and spend alot of time in a haunted place to get evidence of them. Number two, even at haunted places they don't show up every night. Some peculiar allignment of environmental energies only allows them to appear now and then. Number three, if confronted with a ghost, how many are going to have the presence of mind to take a picture of it with their cellphone? Likely not many. A paranormal encounter is an entirely immersive and emotional experience. You're not thinking, "I'd better photograph this for posterity."
Still missing the point.

By your insistence, lots of people did capture ghosts on their cameras in the 20th century (you keep posting them). So those people did have the presence of mind to get out their cameras. Right?

So all you arguments about why people wouldn't get pictures directly contradict your insistence that they have.

So, which is it? Did people capture lots of pics of ghosts in the last half of the 20th century, or didn't they?

By your insistence, lots of people did capture ghosts on their cameras in the 20th century (you keep posting them).
So all you arguments about why people wouldn't get pictures directly contradict your insistence that they have.

It explains why there are not that many ghost pics ever and not an increase of ghost pics today. Although I can't really say there isn't an increase. Do you have the stats on the total number of ghost pics taken since cellphones were invented?

OK. How many?
Ball park guess.
How many quality pics of ghosts were produced in the 20th century?
1,000? 10,000? 100,000? I'll accept whatever number you think.

I have no idea. I've never counted them all. And that's not including the ones not posted on the internet.

Back