why we need ghosts

I simply pointed out that God need not be a poltergeist psychokinetically moving raindrops and fire from the sky. He has gravity to do that for him.
Exactly - just like blankets moving and doors opening need not be ghosts.

I was responding to the claim that believing in poltergeists is the same as believing in, which clearly it isn't since I don't believe in God. End of story.
Right. That's what you said. End of story.

But the inescapable implication of what you said is that you are perfectly aware of the concept of offering a mundane explanation in place of an implausible supernatural one.

So, the way you feel about God is pretty much the way of the rest of us feel about ghosts*.

You are a God skeptic - no matter how much evidence of God might be thrown at you - by someone who is utterly convinced they are right, and backed by lots of research and compatriots - it is insufficient for you to be fooled by it.

* and UFOs

Is this the same gravity which you claim can be nullified (without evidence) by the alien (also with no evidence they exist) pilots of UFOs, with their anti gravity drive?

:)

I never concern myself about how ufos are able to defy gravity and inertia. They just do. I'll leave the speculations to the more technically qualified than myself.

Exactly - just like blankets moving and doors opening need not be ghosts.

Right. That's what you said. End of story.

But the inescapable implication of what you said is that you are perfectly aware of the concept of offering a mundane explanation in place of an implausible supernatural one.

So, the way you feel about God is pretty much the way of the rest of us feel about ghosts*.

You are a God skeptic - no matter how much evidence of God might be thrown at you - by someone who is utterly convinced they are right, and backed by lots of research and compatriots - it is insufficient for you to be fooled by it.

* and UFOs

Uh.yeah..the evidence for God is somewhat less than overwhelming.

I never concern myself about how ufos are able to defy gravity and inertia. They just do. I'll leave the speculations to the more technically qualified than myself.
When more qualified (not a very high bar) explain (how ufos are able to defy gravity and inertia) is not possible your answers are along the lines of "well people have seen UFOs doing it"

:)

In your opinion too. You're human too remember.
Of course.
And, as a fellow skeptic, you know that they are wrong about God. They are too willing, too easily swayed by their "evidence". They are seeing what they want to see.
It's fine for them, but certainly not enough to convince us skeptics.

Of course.
And, as a fellow skeptic, you know that they are wrong about God. They are too willing, too easily swayed by their "evidence". They are seeing what they want to see.
It's fine for them, but certainly not enough to convince us skeptics.

I was a hardcore theist once. We didn't rely so much on evidence as on faith. That's the difference. Evidence for them isn't so important. So they don't go out of their way to offer much.

I was a hardcore theist once. We didn't rely so much on evidence as on faith. That's the difference. Evidence for them isn't so important. So they don't go out of their way to offer much.
Yes well, it probably hasn't escaped you that you have been accused of doing as good a job of offering quality evidence of ghosts and UFO s theists do of offering quality evidence for God.

Quality is in the eye of the skeptic, isn't it?

Admit it. You're a skeptic too; you just draw your plausibility line at a different place. No one else is going to tell you where to draw your line! And no one gets to call you names when you disagree with their line.

Yes well, it probably hasn't escaped you that you have been accused of doing as good a job of offering quality evidence of ghosts and UFO s theists do of offering quality evidence for God.

Nope. Nobody's accused me of that yet.

Admit it. You're a skeptic too; you just draw your plausibility line at a different place. No one else is going to tell you where to draw your line! And no one gets to call you names when you disagree with their line.

I used to be a skeptic. Subscribed to Skeptical Inquirer. Hero worshipped James Randi and Joe Nickel and Michael Shermer and the gang. Then I took a look at the evidence for myself. And the more I looked the more evidence I saw. Been about 18 years now and I haven't looked back since.

Last edited:
Nope. Nobody's accused me of that yet.
I meant implicitly - by dismissing your evidence as of insufficient quality - rather than explicitly.

I used to be a skeptic.
I̶'̶d̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶n̶c̶i̶p̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶O̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶.̶ ̶
W̶h̶i̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶u̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶(̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶)̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶k̶e̶p̶t̶i̶c̶.̶

Oh. You meant you used to be a skeptic of ghosts and UFOs. Now you're not.

I meant implicitly - by dismissing your evidence as of insufficient quality - rather than explicitly.

I̶'̶d̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶n̶c̶i̶p̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶O̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶d̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶.̶ ̶
W̶h̶i̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶u̶s̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶G̶o̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶(̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶)̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶k̶e̶p̶t̶i̶c̶.̶

Oh. You meant you used to be a skeptic of ghosts and UFOs. Now you're not.

Yes...along with psychics and esp. Two documentary series called Sightings and Psychic Detectives began opening my eyes to the reality of the paranormal in the 90's. Then I got on the internet in 1998. Then all the ghosthunter TV series started hitting the airwaves about 2004, and well after that it was a cinch.

Back