Why Jews did not return to Palestine earlier

@Adstar --

Let me put this bluntly so you can understand it. It is physically impossible for millions of people to go anywhere and not leave traces that last the ages.

Let me put this bluntly so you can understand it. Where God is involved it is indeed possible for millions of people to move over the earth and leave no trace.

See i can make statements too. :D

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

@arauca --

How about some midden heaps, archaeologists love midden heaps. They tell us all sorts of things about the people who made them, and all cultures make them(in the current age we call them "landfills"). The thing is, we've found plenty of midden heaps in the Sinai Desert, but none of them are Hebrew in origin. How do we know this? Because there are pig bones in the heaps.

Who reported on the middens, and from what period do they date? I suspect the "far best" explanation is that the Bible simply exaggerates an ancient, poorly-known story of small numbers. I think there's little doubt that ancient Jews did indeed live in the region.

Who reported on the middens, and from what period do they date? I suspect the "far best" explanation is that the Bible simply exaggerates an ancient, poorly-known story of small numbers. I think there's little doubt that ancient Jews did indeed live in the region.

Hmmm..

Dating of remains to the biblical history is made difficult by the bible's lack of datable events and its unreliable internal chronology; the interpretation of remains has been influenced by religious and nationalistic arguments, as evidenced by arguments over burials from the highland settlement phase; and no material remains have been found which can reliably separate Israelite from non-Israelite (Canaanite) sites in the earliest period.

Hum-hmmm..

The name Israel first appears in the stele of the Egyptian pharaoh Merneptah c. 1209 BC, "Israel is laid waste and his seed is not."[21] This "Israel" was a cultural and probably political entity of the central highlands, well enough established to be perceived by the Egyptians as a possible challenge to their hegemony, but an ethnic group rather than an organised state;[22] Archaeologist Paula McNutt says: "It is probably ... during Iron Age I [that] a population began to identify itself as 'Israelite'," differentiating itself from its neighbours via prohibitions on intermarriage, an emphasis on family history and genealogy, and religion.[23]

However, the 'intertestamental' period is more than ancient enough for me, frankly. I don't recall any Caanite groups that have shown up to demand that all the Jews be kicked out and whatnot, although it would be hard to reconcile such a claim anyway given the history of land transfers since 1200 BC.

@GeoffP --

Who reported on the middens,

There have been tons or archaeological reports on that area, a large number of them done by Israeli archaeologists. In fact Israeli archaeologists have been quite honest in admitting that there is no evidence for the Exodus story at all.

I suspect the "far best" explanation is that the Bible simply exaggerates an ancient, poorly-known story of small numbers.

Actually the explanation that best fits the facts, or lack thereof, is that Exodus is an example of Hebrew epic storytelling, much like the Odyssey and the Iliad are examples of Greek epic storytelling. In fact, according to this archaeologist quoted in the NY Times, there isn't any evidence to suggest that the Exodus actually happened, and that very few(said in the article to be one) archaeologists will even suggest that the events in that book could be true.

Were there Hebrews in ancient Egypt? Yes, there were, but they weren't slaves and there weren't the six million quoted in the bible. But there's more, not only were there not that many Hebrews there, but the never left en mass and wandered around in the desert for forty years(or even one year).

Does this mean that the Hebrews didn't live in ancient Israel? Of course not. Again, I never said this.

@Adstar --

Where God is involved it is indeed possible for millions of people to move over the earth and leave no trace.

Prove it. My statement is supported by...oh, I dunno, just the entire experience of the human species. Your statement seems to be supported only by the hot air coming out of your mouth. Care to put your money where your mouth is?

Back