why jesus jew and not christian?

Jenyar said:
There isn't much reason to think Mary was sinless, or exceptional people. That was why the Pharisees were so surprised when they saw Jesus doing great things (Matt.3:55). But Jesus didn't have the connection with Adam that everybody else have - he was not part of that "weakness" that made even otherwise sinless men subject to death. Incidentally, Adam was also called the son of God (Luke 3:38), and Jesus the "last Adam" or the "second man" (1 Corinthians 15). Compare this with my last quote above:
1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.​
Death was a consequence of sin, and it's a consequence we're all born into. It's not something innocense or sinlessness can undo. Being who you're supposed to be isn't a virtue, it's a responsibility. An action was required out of sinlessness..

There were a couple people in the OT who were supposedly "caught up to heaven", so I'm not sure it's quite correct to say that "in Adam all die."

Are you serious? Being who you're supposed to be (perfect?) isn't a virtue? What an unrealistic, impossible requirement. You might as well say being 250 feet tall isn't a virtue, it's a responsibility. Imagine if your parents held you to that standard. Perfection or torture.

Jenyar said:
Noah and Job weren't saved because they were sinless, but because they were obedient to something that needed to be done. Noah would have drowned, righteousness and all, if he had not built the ark. Job still died, but expected eternal life by faith. The book just describes his faith in action.

When you are saying Jesus didn't have that connection to Adam, are you saying that "original sin" is inherited from the male side? I don't see where the Bible says that Mary's genes weren't used in the creation of the "human nature" of Jesus. I guess I'll let a Catholic argue about Mary.

Could you tell me where in the book of Job it states that Job was "obedient to something that needed to be done", and only after that was called "perfect and upright?"

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name [was] Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil

This appears to be a matter of fact statement, it doesn't say anything about Job believing a certain thing that God supposedly said, and THEN he became "perfect and upright." I know the argument made by Paul about Abraham, but I don't believe that every single person in the Bible called perfect, righteous, upright merely was called that because they "believed God."

When you refer to Noah, I assume you're saying "saved" in a literal sense (by the ark). He's called a just man and perfect in his generations before it's said he obeyed God by building the ark.

I'm not saying that these people were sinless. I have no idea if they were or not. I'm just saying it's not all clear cut that nobody can be sinless, unless you already accept the Christian doctrine that all have sinned (besides Jesus, or if you're Catholic, Jesus and Mary). If the Christians/Catholics can have their exception(s), then why not the Jews?

Last edited:
anonymous2 said:
There were a couple people in the OT who were supposedly "caught up to heaven", so I'm not sure it's quite correct to say that "in Adam all die."
Enoch. Yes, although his body must have been changed ("flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, or the perishable the imperishable" - 1 Cor. 15:50). For us, he died. For God, he lived. Do you see the difference? It didn't just happen automatically - it happened within a relationship with God.
Romans 6:3-
Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection.​
Are you serious? Being who you're supposed to be (perfect?) isn't a virtue? What an unrealistic, impossible requirement. You might as well say being 250 feet tall isn't a virtue, it's a responsibility. Imagine if your parents held you to that standard. Perfection or torture.
Exactly. Perfection is not something we achieve naturally. It's not even something we are naturally. Then why do we consider it good? The best we can be is "good". But that "good" is what God grants to us as perfection. That's who we're supposed to be, because that's how He created us. Otherwise we are trying to achieve the impossible - be like God by our own human efforts. By making laws to regulate ourselves and following them to the letter we try to be perfectly perfectly just, and then we haven't even started being moral yet. It's our efforts - and our failure. That's why it was such a revelation to see God become failure for us - at last we could see what we were supposed to do and who we were supposed to be. By the grace of God, we are able to visualize "being perfect as God is perfect", while carrying or failures (our cross) and walking on a forgiving road - Christ himself.
Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Philippians 3:12
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.​
When you are saying Jesus didn't have that connection to Adam, are you saying that "original sin" is inherited from the male side? I don't see where the Bible says that Mary's genes weren't used in the creation of the "human nature" of Jesus. I guess I'll let a Catholic argue about Mary.
No, gender has nothing to do with it. It's about origins: "The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven" (1 Cor.15:47). And
Romans 5:14... death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.​
Our imperfection (in relation to God) is closely connected to our being natural beings. This wasn't such a bad thing, until it was all we had. "We can't live from bread alone", remember?
Could you tell me where in the book of Job it states that Job was "obedient to something that needed to be done", and only after that was called "perfect and upright?"

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name [was] Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil

This appears to be a matter of fact statement, it doesn't say anything about Job believing a certain thing that God supposedly said, and THEN he became "perfect and upright." I know the argument made by Paul about Abraham, but I don't believe that every single person in the Bible called perfect, righteous, upright merely was called that because they "believed God."
Job 1:1 is our introduction to Job. It states exactly what we will see in the proceeding chapters. Do you think he was called perfect and upright in spite of his relationship with God? No, it was only by knowing God that he had enough faith not "curse God and die". He knew that God would see his innocense - even if it was only in the grave. What he "needed to do", in spite of everything that happened to him, was have faith. Not a perfectly blameless life.
Job 19:25-
I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him
with my own eyes - I, and not another.​
When you refer to Noah, I assume you're saying "saved" in a literal sense (by the ark). He's called a just man and perfect in his generations before it's said he obeyed God by building the ark.
Yes, like Job. He didn't perfect himself by his own efforts, it was attributed to Him because of his faith. It was that faith that made him hear God, and that wish to be perfect that made him build the ark. He would not have listened if he didn't have faith before he built it, and he would not have built it if he didn't listen. Faith is knowing the path, perfection is walking it. (Now I sound like Morpheus.)

His literal salvation has figurative meaning to us as well. The ark was Noah's coffin, the flood his baptism into death. The rainbow God's promise of life.
I'm not saying that these people were sinless. I have no idea if they were or not. I'm just saying it's not all clear cut that nobody can be sinless, unless you already accept the Christian doctrine that all have sinned (besides Jesus, or if you're Catholic, Jesus and Mary). If the Christians/Catholics can have their exception(s), then why not the Jews?
Whether someone can be sinless or not is almost besides the point, since as I said: it's not innocense that saves you. Some Jews did believe you could lead a sinless life, but why would that be so desireable if they didn't also believe God would see it? It's whether God recognizes it or not that's important. If you claim you are perfect on your own merit, you are basially saying sin and death has no hold on you, and you don't need God. If you're confident of that, then by all means. But Jesus came for those of us who aren't - those who have sinned and are without hope of ever reaching perfection by themselves.
Mark 2:17
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."​

I had a reply, but for some reason it's not accepting it. I'll try again.

Jenyar said:
Enoch. Yes, although his body must have been changed ("flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, or the perishable the imperishable" - 1 Cor. 15:50). For us, he died. For God, he lived. Do you see the difference? It didn't just happen automatically - it happened within a relationship with God.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that I'm not sure every single person called "upright", "blameless", "perfect" were called that MERELY because they "believed God". But no need to argue this, I was just giving a possible answer to your "make of it what you will" statement regarding 4 people being sinless according to your quote.

It doesn't say Enoch and Elijah died though, that's the thing. So, in a sense, "in Adam all die" is not exactly accurate. It doesn't matter though. I know Christianity has an apology for just about every "alleged discrepancy" of the Bible. ;) Incidentally, if "flesh and blood" can't inherit the kingdom of God, and Jesus was resurrected and went into heaven, was his body bloodless? ;) I know, I know, the theory is "flesh and blood" is a parallel to "corruption". I wonder though, there's a verse in the NT which flat out says Paul is "difficult to understand". I'd think God would make it clear, not inspire writings which are difficult to understand, speak in parables so that people won't understand, etc. But hey, that's just me.

Jenyar said:
No, gender has nothing to do with it. It's about origins: "The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven" (1 Cor.15:47). And
Romans 5:14... death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come.​

Do you have an explanation for how Jesus was sinless then? Do you not believe in original sin? If Mary's egg was used for Jesus' human nature, then did he inherit that "sin nature?"

Jenyar said:
Job 1:1 is our introduction to Job. It states exactly what we will see in the proceeding chapters. Do you think he was called perfect and upright in spite of his relationship with God?

I don't know exactly how much of a "relationship" with Job supposedly had with God before the events described. I don't recall him saying "Hey God, nice to see you again." ;) It just says he was perfect and upright, fearing God, eschewing evil. That doesn't sound like he was called "perfect and upright" MERELY because he "believed God."

Jenyar said:
Whether someone can be sinless or not is almost besides the point, since as I said: it's not innocense that saves you. Some Jews did believe you could lead a sinless life, but why would that be so desireable if they didn't also believe God would see it? It's whether God recognizes it or not that's important. If you claim you are perfect on your own merit, you are basially saying sin and death has no hold on you, and you don't need God. If you're confident of that, then by all means. But Jesus came for those of us who aren't - those who have sinned and are without hope of ever reaching perfection by themselves.
Mark 2:17
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."​

What he seems to be saying, to me, is that there are two types of people, righteous (who he didn't come for), and sinners (who he did). So Jesus didn't come for a group of people (the righteous)? If that's the case, why would they need Jesus' blood? I don't really buy the explanation that Jesus was referring to a group with no members.

I'm not perfect, far from it. I do wrong things, and I will die. Where I differ from you is this: I have doubt that God is like a machine which had its "fill" of sin, that he just had to dish out the wrath on Jesus, that he punishes someone innocent instead of someone guilty. I don't believe that because I'm imperfect that I deserve to be tortured for eternity, nor do I believe anyone deserves to be tortured for eternity. Hitler? Stalin? Let the punishment fit the crime. How about substituting them for the people they killed, again and again, let Hitler and Stalin be killed in the ways they killed. Heck, how about even millions of deaths for Hitler and Stalin? But eternal torture? How is that justice? Besides, what if I, right now, said "I believe Jesus died for my sins and accept his sacrifice for them." Ok, now what? To me, Christianity is bait and switch. It's not just believe in Jesus. It's follow the Bible (whichever one that is, with 66 books, or 73, or whatever the Ethiopic canon is), it's believing/doing whatever happens to be that "right" thing, whatever that is, depending on the many different sects who disagree with each other, some of them declaring the others heretical. It's making myself believe in what I see as contradictory texts/doctrines [such as eternal security vs losing your salvation. Look at Hebrews 6:4-6. Sounds like after you go back to your old ways, you can never return to Christianity (ie you go to hell)]. To me, Christianity teaches other religions are satanic or at least misguided. And, I'm sorry, I don't want to have to believe such a thing, nor do I want to have to believe most of mankind will be tortured for eternity for believing the wrong thing. This is how I see Christianity. Light? Seems more like darkness and a mass of confusion to me. If all Christianity said was "Believe in Jesus", then I guess I could do that, but then what?

Last edited:
What do you think "Godfearing" means? Not just in your opinion - what does the Bible mean when it uses the term?

If it's difficult to understand: no, it's not just you - but it might be just you who thinks God was explaining simple things to simple minds. I used the word "changed", so does Paul. Do you know what that implies?
anonymous said:
Do you have an explanation for how Jesus was sinless then? Do you not believe in original sin? If Mary's egg was used for Jesus' human nature, then did he inherit that "sin nature?"
Jesus was only sinless because He did nothing except what God told him to do. He could have acquired sin, just like Adam did, but He didn't. Apply this to all the other examples we discussed, but add the death of natural man ("Adam"). The "Adam" in Jesus died, the "Adam" in Jesus was without sin, and the "Adam" in Jesus was raised to the status of Jesus himself - a spiritual man. By becoming the "Adam" of Jesus, we have part in his resurrection. I'm shooting from the hip here, so I'm looking forward to objections to this.
I'm not perfect, far from it. I do wrong things, and I will in time die. Where I differ from you is this: I have doubt that God is like a machine which had its "fill" of sin, that he just had to dish out the wrath on Jesus, that he punishes someone innocent instead of someone guilty.
Good, because I don't believe that either. In fact, it might be considered hersesy to believe that. You're practically disarding the whole salvation history in one sentence. PS. The religious and secular world punished Jesus for being exactly who He was. Just like you're taking it out on God now, by justifying yourself.
I don't believe that because I'm imperfect that I deserve to be tortured for eternity, nor do I believe anyone deserves to be tortured for eternity. Hitler? Stalin? Let the punishment fit the crime. How about substituting them for the people they killed, again and again, let Hitler and Stalin be killed in the ways they killed. Heck, how about even millions of deaths for Hitler and Stalin? But eternal torture? How is that justice?
Sounds like hell to me. Anyone who takes a life destroys something impermanent, but commits a crime against God, who is eternal. Sin doesn't fade away with time against Him. Jesus payed the price of a murderer - even in the stead of Hitler or Stalin - by dying an impermanent death. But He had no guilt against God, no sin, and was justified for eternity. Do you understand that there's two crimes, because there are two relationships involved: against humanity, which we can bring to justice, or forgive - and against God, because it betrays an attitude to God that has eternal consequences.
Besides, what if I, right now, said "I believe Jesus died for my sins and accept his sacrifice for them." Ok, now what? To me, Christianity is bait and switch. It's not just believe in Jesus. It's follow the Bible (whichever one that is, with 66 books, or 73, or whatever the Ethiopic canon is), it's believing/doing whatever happens to be that "right" thing, whatever that is, depending on the many different sects who disagree with each other, some of them declaring the others heretical. It's making myself believe in what I see as contradictory texts/doctrines [such as eternal security vs losing your salvation.
Listen, it's the difference between merely saying "I believe Jesus died for my sins and accept his sacrifice for them," and living as if you believed it. If you believed Jesus restored your relationship with God, wouldn't you start living in that relationship? That's the difference between those who shout "Lord, Lord!" and those who will be recognized by Him. The Bible is good for "teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness". It is not the end-all and be-all of your existence and relationship with God, but it's the only introduction we've got. It's basically a conversation with people who have lived and realized the same relationship that you are entering into.
Look at Hebrews 6:4-6.
Read Hebrews 6:1-3 as well. When those things have become "elementary" to you, you'll understand verse 4-6. Don't read only the parts that support your argument.
To me, Christianity teaches other religions are satanic or at least misguided. And, I'm sorry, I don't want to have to believe such a thing, nor do I want to have to believe most of mankind will be tortured for eternity for believing the wrong thing. This is how I see Christianity. Light? Seems more like darkness and a mass of confusion to me. If all Christianity said was "Believe in Jesus", then I guess I could do that, but then what?
Then to you, Christianity is not what it is to me. "It" cannot say what the Bible doesn't say, and the Bible says nothing about any religion that still exist other than Judaism. It does say about idolatry and self-serving practices. Religion, Christianity included, can easily become both those things.

"Believing the wrong thing" = "tortured for eternity"? It's not about what you believe, but who you stand in relationship with, and in whose hands you place your life. If you can save your own life, then hold on to it. If someone else can, then trust them with it. But for all the information we have about sin and its connection to death (which is closely related to hell), I would not wish to end up where the slaves and supporters of sin end up. You use "tortured" as if you think God derives some pleasure out of losing lives to sin. Where could you possibly have come up with such an idea? That's your own theology.

If it were true, why did God intervene at all? Why not just let people like Noah and Enoch discover the truth, and leave the rest to wherever they wish to place their faith?

If you would believe in Jesus, it would imply you believed who He was within the context of history and religion, and the implications of it. I think you will agree that his message is more problematic than merely believing in him as a person. For one: you'd have to believe in God, as he did. Otherwise you won't in good conscience be able to say you "believe in Jesus". That's the "and then what" of it. The same "and then what" of trusting your life to anyone.

Jenyar said:
What do you think "Godfearing" means? Not just in your opinion - what does the Bible mean when it uses the term?

I don't know, what does it mean? I'd say it means Job thought God was worthy of being followed, and that he did what God wanted.

Jenyar said:
The religious and secular world punished Jesus for being exactly who He was. Just like you're taking it out on God now, by justifying yourself.

Did I just read you right? Are you trying to compare me to those who supposedly killed Jesus? Well, I suppose that's consistent. After all, I was supposedly "in Adam" when he sinned (interesting how I don't recall this. Do you recall when you were "in Adam" when he sinned?). Now I'm like the people who supposedly killed Jesus? Because I merely claim I don't deserve eternal torture? What kind of logic is that? Not much logic, but rather Christian guilt imo. Kind of like "You're the reason Jesus had to die! Don't you feel bad?"

Jenyar said:
Sounds like hell to me. Anyone who takes a life destroys something impermanent, but commits a crime against God, who is eternal. Sin doesn't fade away with time against Him. Jesus payed the price of a murderer - even in the stead of Hitler or Stalin - by dying an impermanent death. But He had no guilt against God, no sin, and was justified for eternity. Do you understand that there's two crimes, because there are two relationships involved: against humanity, which we can bring to justice, or forgive - and against God, because it betrays an attitude to God that has eternal consequences..

Nope, it doesn't sound like hell at all. Millions of deaths for Hitler and Stalin do not make an eternity. You teach eternal torture, not finite punishment.

What does God being eternal or infinite have to do with sins? First off, I don't believe one could REALLY hurt God. Could you tell me how you could hurt an omnipotent, eternal being? Sure, I could understand God being mad, but just because he is infinite and eternal, where is the logical link between that and eternal punishment? I mean, is anything done to God then deserving of an eternal reaction just because he is eternal? If I pray to God, will his response be eternal? (Say, if I ask anything in Jesus' name, and he gives it to me, can I expect him to continue to give me things, without prayer, because of God's "eternal response?") Can you please explain to me, that if the punishment of God is eternal wrath, how Jesus supposedly only suffered a finite, impermanent death? To be consistent, why isn't he being tortured for eternity? If he truly was to pay for the sins of mankind, where's his eternal punishment? God had the anger from the sins of the entire world on the shoulders of Jesus (supposedly), and he only suffered for hours? Even if you claim "all of God's wrath" was on Jesus for those hours, they were still hours, not an eternity. Why would a finite punishment on Jesus appease God's anger, while an infinite punishment on human beings wouldn't? Why do I say it wouldn't? Because he's still doing it, for eternity, isn't he? So he's still pissed off? For eternity? No matter what, he can't quit being pissed off at humans by torturing them for eternity? He supposedly got out the wrath of the sins of the world on Jesus, but yet somehow he still has enough wrath left to torture humans for eternity? Yet he was appeased with the 3 hours Jesus suffered? But I thought he already put the weight of the sins of the world on Jesus? If so, why torture humans? Why would they have to be a Christian to get into heaven? Jesus already paid for their sins, right? Why do they need to accept that? It's already paid for whether they accept it or not. And even if God somehow had to have them accept Jesus' sacrifice in order to get into heaven (why this would be, I don't know), why couldn't he give them another chance after they die? What's inconsistent about a loving God allowing that to happen? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But, I know, I know the "gospel is foolishness" idea. I know how the Bible tries to argue against things that don't make sense to the "natural man." ;) So no need to go there.

Jenyar said:
Then to you, Christianity is not what it is to me. "It" cannot say what the Bible doesn't say, and the Bible says nothing about any religion that still exist other than Judaism. It does say about idolatry and self-serving practices. Religion, Christianity included, can easily become both those things.

You just showed my point. Every religious belief outside of Christianity is wrong, satanic, irrelevant, etc, in Christian thought, correct, EVEN Judaism?
And I personally find it silly that God would care if someone used an idol as a helper in worship. That he would care sounds more like a vain, jealous human. Not all those "evil idol worshippers" really think their idols are literally gods.

Jenyar said:
Read Hebrews 6:1-3 as well. When those things have become "elementary" to you, you'll understand verse 4-6. Don't read only the parts that support your argument..

Please elaborate. You may believe in "eternal security", but there are some Christians who don't. It's easy to simply say they're wrong, but how I see it, is that they have a point, and it goes to show that the Bible is not perfectly consistent and obvious.

Jenyar said:
"Believing the wrong thing" = "tortured for eternity"? It's not about what you believe, but who you stand in relationship with, and in whose hands you place your life. If you can save your own life, then hold on to it. If someone else can, then trust them with it. But for all the information we have about sin and its connection to death (which is closely related to hell), I would not wish to end up where the slaves and supporters of sin end up. You use "tortured" as if you think God derives some pleasure out of losing lives to sin. Where could you possibly have come up with such an idea? That's your own theology.

Could you tell me how this metaphysical concept known as "sin" leads to death? First off, everyone dies, we know that. Secondly, I don't see how an idol worshipper per se dies before a non idol worshipper. That being said, there are some generally wise sayings in the Bible which, if followed, could lead to a long life. But even you must admit, the "good die young" also.

Where do I come up with the idea that God derives some pleasure out of losing lives to sin? Well, I have to ask, if God didn't derive some pleasure from it, why does the Bible say he will send people a strong delusion that they'll believe a lie? (2 Thess 2:11) I have to ask, why would a loving God send anyone a strong delusion that they'll believe a lie, when that lie leads to eternal torture? You'd think he'd do whatever he could to prevent them from believing a lie that sends them to hell, wouldn't you? But does he do that, according to this passage?

And yes, "believing the wrong thing" gets one eternal torture, according to the Bible. That's a fact. He who doesn't believe is condemned already. So guess what? Not believing in Jesus=eternal torture. And you yourself admit to this, don't you? Where's Ghandi today (besides a general, "I don't know, I'm not God, I can't judge his heart?) I'd assume he's roasting in hell according to Christian theology. I don't see anywhere that he accepted Jesus as the only way to God. The bottom line is, billions of people are being tortured and will be tortured for eternity according to Christian thought, because they didn't believe in Jesus. This is the God you believe in. You can spin it and say "it's not just because they don't believe", "it's a relationship", but show me where my statement is wrong. Simple question - Where do those who believe the wrong thing (as in believe in a god/theology other than Jesus/Christianity) go to after they die? You know that's what Christianity teaches. Please don't deny it. Non-believer=believing the wrong thing=eternal torture. Please show me that this is NOT Christianity.

Well, can you explain to me why God puts people in hell if he doesn't derive some pleasure from it? Please don't say that the omnipotent God HAS to do it. That's ridiculous. And here's why. If God created souls, he could easily destroy them. No reason to torment them forever. He could also just leave them alone. Evidently he doesn't hate sin THAT much, because remember, in Job, in the first chapter, the AUTHOR of sin in your view, Satan himself, was in the presence of God, and if God is omnipresent, then he's here on earth too, and has been exposed to sinners for thousands of years, and if Jesus is God, then he was on earth for 30+ years with sinners. Those facts are not consistent with the idea of a poor, sad God, who just really wants people to not go to hell, but just has to send them there, because he has no choice.

Last edited:
anonymous2 said:
I don't know, what does it mean? I'd say it means Job thought God was worthy of being followed, and that he did what God wanted.
Doesn't that answer your question about how Job was before we read about him?

Did I just read you right? Are you trying to compare me to those who supposedly killed Jesus? Well, I suppose that's consistent. After all, I was supposedly "in Adam" when he sinned (interesting how I don't recall this. Do you recall when you were "in Adam" when he sinned?). Now I'm like the people who supposedly killed Jesus? Because I merely claim I don't deserve eternal torture? What kind of logic is that? Not much logic, but rather Christian guilt imo. Kind of like "You're the reason Jesus had to die! Don't you feel bad?"
Not more bad than being just as guilty. Jesus died for those He forgave for his death. Remember? "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?" You say He was innocent, but do you even know what you're saying? He blasphemed against God by saying he can forgive sins (=guilty by religious standards); he threatened the peace of Rome by admitting he was "King of the Jews", and he was called Son of God, a title reserved for the emperor. If you say he was innocent, you are saying that he was innocent by your standards - but you didn't write the law, or invent your brand of morality. We are all in the wrong before God, except where we are in agreement with Christ. That's the way God provided.

Nope, it doesn't sound like hell at all. Millions of deaths for Hitler and Stalin do not make an eternity. You teach eternal torture, not finite punishment.

What does God being eternal or infinite have to do with sins? First off, I don't believe one could REALLY hurt God. Could you tell me how you could hurt an omnipotent, eternal being? Sure, I could understand God being mad, but just because he is infinite and eternal, where is the logical link between that and eternal punishment? I mean, is anything done to God then deserving of an eternal reaction just because he is eternal? If I pray to God, will his response be eternal? (Say, if I ask anything in Jesus' name, and he gives it to me, can I expect him to continue to give me things, without prayer, because of God's "eternal response?") Can you please explain to me, that if the punishment of God is eternal wrath, how Jesus supposedly only suffered a finite, impermanent death? To be consistent, why isn't he being tortured for eternity? If he truly was to pay for the sins of mankind, where's his eternal punishment? God had the anger from the sins of the entire world on the shoulders of Jesus (supposedly), and he only suffered for hours? Even if you claim "all of God's wrath" was on Jesus for those hours, they were still hours, not an eternity. Why would a finite punishment on Jesus appease God's anger, while an infinite punishment on human beings wouldn't? Why do I say it wouldn't? Because he's still doing it, for eternity, isn't he? So he's still pissed off? For eternity? No matter what, he can't quit being pissed off at humans by torturing them for eternity? He supposedly got out the wrath of the sins of the world on Jesus, but yet somehow he still has enough wrath left to torture humans for eternity? Yet he was appeased with the 3 hours Jesus suffered? But I thought he already put the weight of the sins of the world on Jesus? If so, why torture humans? Why would they have to be a Christian to get into heaven? Jesus already paid for their sins, right? Why do they need to accept that? It's already paid for whether they accept it or not. And even if God somehow had to have them accept Jesus' sacrifice in order to get into heaven (why this would be, I don't know), why couldn't he give them another chance after they die? What's inconsistent about a loving God allowing that to happen? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. But, I know, I know the "gospel is foolishness" idea. I know how the Bible tries to argue against things that don't make sense to the "natural man." ;) So no need to go there.
God didn't vent his anger on Christ! Our lives - all of it - are forgiven inasmuch they are contained in His body.

You want me to cover all of the New Testament right here, but you don't understand een the principles. So I'll start with a basic idea: If you committed a crime against the government, say, high treason. For how long are you guilty? Only until you die or the law that makes you guilty is dissolved. That's why military coups are so attractive. Your death satisfies the law because the government only has jurisdiction over life, it doesn't stretch past death. With me? If the government could still judge you after death, they would have dug you up and pur you on trial with the daisies on your head and all - but justice must prevail. God won't be overthrown, and your death won't be an excuse before him. "Detained by death" isn't a valid excuse before his courtroom.

Christ came to satisfy any guilt that leads to death. The laws that made death binding, so we could inherit from Him. What we inherited from Adam was death, that was what was written on his "testament": To my dearest descendants, I leave you: death. Sounds a lot like nature, doesn't it? But the New Testament is that God has payed the debt owed by Adam, payed out the inheritance, and adopted us as sons so we could inherit from Him. To my dearest children: Death is in the grave (hell), I have payed the price that was on your heads, and you owe your debt to me now. Except, I have written off all debt to my Son, who owns everything I do, and is therfore able to repay it fully. Through Him, you will receive the full inheritance that was originally made out to Adam, which he could not collect because of death.

I suggest you read the whole of Romans and then come back to me. I have no intention of repeating everything Paul said.
You just showed my point. Every religious belief outside of Christianity is wrong, satanic, irrelevant, etc, in Christian thought, correct, EVEN Judaism?
And I personally find it silly that God would care if someone used an idol as a helper in worship. That he would care sounds more like a vain, jealous human. Not all those "evil idol worshippers" really think their idols are literally gods.
Idols replace God, that's why. They didn't help, they became revered. Idols fall into the fire and melt. They would give people a completely twisted idea of who God is, as kings who proposed to be divine did as well. Like Pharoah. If they replace or prevent a living relationship with God, then yes, they are wrong. Otherwise they must still provide the redemption that Christ represents, which they can only do by faith. Will that faith be justified? But you ignore a few things:
Romans 6:12-[/b] All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.​
Please elaborate. You may believe in "eternal security", but there are some Christians who don't. It's easy to simply say they're wrong, but how I see it, is that they have a point, and it goes to show that the Bible is not perfectly consistent and obvious.
Christians who have no security lack faith in Him, and there is usually a reason for that. There is no wrong or right about it. It's like the argument about determinism. We could go on and on, but if you're in doubt, do something about it.

Could you tell me how this metaphysical concept known as "sin" leads to death? First off, everyone dies, we know that. Secondly, I don't see how an idol worshipper per se dies before a non idol worshipper. That being said, there are some generally wise sayings in the Bible which, if followed, could lead to a long life. But even you must admit, the "good die young" also.
That's what Ecclesiastes says as well. The conclusion it comes to is "Fear God and keep his commandments, that is the whole duty of man". Sin, as a whole, leads to death - but until you die you have a chance to repent and change your lifestyle. Think of it as a steep slope into hell/chaos/death/whatever. You don't have to bring time into it. What we see when people die is simply the "face" of it.

Where do I come up with the idea that God derives some pleasure out of losing lives to sin? Well, I have to ask, if God didn't derive some pleasure from it, why does the Bible say he will send people a strong delusion that they'll believe a lie? (2 Thess 2:11) I have to ask, why would a loving God send anyone a strong delusion that they'll believe a lie, when that lie leads to eternal torture? You'd think he'd do whatever he could to prevent them from believing a lie that sends them to hell, wouldn't you? But does he do that, according to this passage?
Paul looks at it in retrospect, so to speak. If they wouldn't have believed the deulsion, what would it have helped God to send it? What happens is that God exposes what was only latent until then. He bring them to the choice - like he did when He sent Moses to Pharoah, remember? Pharoah's heart was hardened. The word is also used for pots that harden when they're exposed to heat. If you don't put them in the oven, they'll never be called pots. Their nature is "confirmed".

And yes, "believing the wrong thing" gets one eternal torture, according to the Bible. That's a fact. He who doesn't believe is condemned already. So guess what? Not believing in Jesus=eternal torture. And you yourself admit to this, don't you? Where's Ghandi today (besides a general, "I don't know, I'm not God, I can't judge his heart?) I'd assume he's roasting in hell according to Christian theology. I don't see anywhere that he accepted Jesus as the only way to God. The bottom line is, billions of people are being tortured and will be tortured for eternity according to Christian thought, because they didn't believe in Jesus.
No, that's your conclusion, and there are Christians that come to the same conclusion. But based on what? We know the certainty, but not the uncertainty. How did people come to God before they knew Jesus? By faith. Faith is not something any Christian is an authority on, because nobody puts their faith in "Christianity", but in God. You can't get by that.

Jesus is the only way, yes: Even for people who didn't realize that he is the way. But ignorance doesn't help people come to a faith that leads to God, which is why we must know where our hope comes from.

This is the God you believe in. You can spin it and say "it's not just because they don't believe", "it's a relationship", but show me where my statement is wrong. Simple question - Where do those who believe the wrong thing (as in believe in a god/theology other than Jesus/Christianity) go to after they die? You know that's what Christianity teaches. Please don't deny it. Non-believer=believing the wrong thing=eternal torture. Please show me that this is NOT Christianity.
They go to wherever that god/theology/religion takes them. If it makes their lives on this earth a happy one, good for them, and good for humanity. But my certainty lies through Christ alone, and I don't care for a happy life if it ends where everyone else ends up: death, and the uncertainty of what to expect after. I will not share in that uncertainty, but neither can I force my certainty on anyone else. Good news is there to be accepted or rejected. Bad news is common enough that I don't have to emphasize it. I won't tell you who goes to hell and who doesn't, because I can't. Christianity should teach what Christ taught, and Christ taught that sin ends in death and people need to repent and restore their relationship with the only One who can give life.

Well, can you explain to me why God puts people in hell if he doesn't derive some pleasure from it? Please don't say that the omnipotent God HAS to do it. That's ridiculous. And here's why. If God created souls, he could easily destroy them. No reason to torment them forever. He could also just leave them alone. Evidently he doesn't hate sin THAT much, because remember, in Job, in the first chapter, the AUTHOR of sin in your view, Satan himself, was in the presence of God, and if God is omnipresent, then he's here on earth too, and has been exposed to sinners for thousands of years, and if Jesus is God, then he was on earth for 30+ years with sinners. Those facts are not consistent with the idea of a poor, sad God, who just really wants people to not go to hell, but just has to send them there, because he has no choice.
God does nto go back on his word, and He did not make a mistke when He gae us life. He is taking back the life He gave us, and that's just the problem. Impurities will burn up in his holiness. There's no place for sin in God's kingdom. He can't tolerate it, or heaven would look a lot like earth does today. Where God reaches is not where God lives. Everywhere isn't holy because God is everywhere, it is holy where God "gathers".

Sin is left alone on earth, for the time being. In fact, some places where God punishes sin in the Bible, it is written that He "gives them over to sin". God lets the weeds grow, because there is still corn growing among it. Eventually, sin will also be gathered, along with everything that lives with it, and separated from the corn. If you can imagine of a cozy place for death, sin and every vile thought to live, without God's mercy, life and forgiveness - without all that is good and eternal - then please share.

Jenyar said:
Not more bad than being just as guilty. Jesus died for those He forgave for his death. Remember? "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?" You say He was innocent, but do you even know what you're saying? He blasphemed against God by saying he can forgive sins (=guilty by religious standards); he threatened the peace of Rome by admitting he was "King of the Jews", and he was called Son of God, a title reserved for the emperor. If you say he was innocent, you are saying that he was innocent by your standards - but you didn't write the law, or invent your brand of morality. We are all in the wrong before God, except where we are in agreement with Christ. That's the way God provided.

Jenyar, this is kind of like what I've read about the Bab of the Bah'ai religion (or even Mani for that manner). Maybe he and Mani sincerely believed their claims were true, I don't know. But they were both supposedly killed for their beliefs. I know, I know, "but Jesus resurrected", so no reason to go there, I already know the claim. ;) The Bab made religious claims, and was killed in Persia. The Bab supposedly was to be put to death and a firing squad fired, but when the smoke cleared, he wasn't to be found, then later on they found him back in his prison cell, I guess he had things he needed to get done before he was killed, or so says that "miracle story." You're arguing from the idea that the Bible is true, Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, he is who he said he was, etc, which is quite understandable, since you're a Christian.... but this is your view.

Jenyar said:
You want me to cover all of the New Testament right here, but you don't understand een the principles. So I'll start with a basic idea: If you committed a crime against the government, say, high treason.

Have I committed high treason though? And what's the punishment for that? Death, not eternal torture. ;)

Jenyar said:
For how long are you guilty? Only until you die or the law that makes you guilty is dissolved. That's why military coups are so attractive. Your death satisfies the law because the government only has jurisdiction over life, it doesn't stretch past death. With me? If the government could still judge you after death, they would have dug you up and pur you on trial with the daisies on your head and all - but justice must prevail. God won't be overthrown, and your death won't be an excuse before him. "Detained by death" isn't a valid excuse before his courtroom

You're still maintaining that God is just so mad he can't stop it, for eternity, he just keeps on and keeps on being mad. Remember, he's supposedly pissed off and hell is God's wrath, not Satan's, so isn't God the one maintaining hell? And he just can't stop himself from doing so? I find that incredible. If this human commits "high treason", does that nation hate him just as much, say, 5000 years in the future, than it did when they convicted him? I doubt it. Their anger wanes, doesn't it? Who could possibly be mad forever? But that's how I see the Bible God, mad forever.

Jenyar said:
No, that's your conclusion, and there are Christians that come to the same conclusion. But based on what? We know the certainty, but not the uncertainty. How did people come to God before they knew Jesus? By faith. Faith is not something any Christian is an authority on, because nobody puts their faith in "Christianity", but in God. You can't get by that.

Jenyar, this is a Christian theory about those who didn't hear, or those who lived before Jesus. First off, the Bible itself doesn't say that those pagans who didn't hear Jesus would go to heaven, does it? Let's go over what you just quoted:

Jenyar said:
Romans 6:12-[/b] All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

First he says all who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law. Who is he talking about here? Why would he even use these terms, when just afterward, he tries to make the Gentiles have a "law" in a sense. Why not just say that, instead of the "all who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law" part, as if the Gentiles really have no law? Just odd to me. And when Paul says "This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets though Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares", what is he referring to? He doesn't actually say anything about a judgement before this, he just says Gentiles' thoughts are NOW accusing and NOW even defending them. Not later. Not in a later judgement. So it's odd wording to me. No wonder Peter said Paul was "difficult to understand." ;)

So, what is Paul saying? Is he saying that the Gentiles will defend themselves on the Day of Judgement? I'm guessing so. But this does not say a single thing about those who haven't heard getting into heaven. Not one thing. Just because Paul thinks the gentiles "do by nature the things of the law", that doesn't necessarily mean he's saying that they'll get to heaven, does it, because he then says that their thoughts ACCUSE them (why accuse yourself if you're sinless?) and defend them, and he said "all have sinned", so he doesn't see the Gentiles as being exceptions to the "all have sinned" part, does he? All he's saying, to me, is that God will judge gentiles by the "law in their hearts", "their consciences", instead of the Law of Moses. That'd still make them sinners in need of Jesus just as much as a Jew, wouldn't it? So why did you even quote this passage? What do *YOU* think it means? I see nothing about it saying that those who haven't heard can attain heaven, it doesn't even appear to be addressing that. To me, all it's saying is that the Gentiles have a standard, and so does the Jew, and they'll both be judged by each respective standard, kind of like how he says in the first part of the quotation, "All who sin apart from the law [Gentiles?] will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law [Jews?] will be judged by the law." Isn't that what he's trying to say?

Does it mention anyone not an OT "worthy", or not connected with Israel or Christianity being in heaven? Does it say Buddha's in heaven? Not only that, but the fact is, there are many people after Jesus who don't believe. To me, to say, that anyone in the past is in heaven, who was not connected with Israel (say, like Rahab), or was an OT "worthy", or was a Christian, is just a theory. Where does the Bible say any of that? And the simple question, IF people can get into heaven without Jesus or being an OT "worthy", or connected with Israel (Rahab), but instead just need "faith in God", then why would anyone in their right minds preach Jesus to people who already have "faith in God", therefore, putting their eternal souls in jeopardy? Just ask the Muslims if they think they have "faith in God." Why tell them about Jesus if they can get to heaven without specifically believing he's the savior? If people could really get to heaven merely by having "faith in God", then why not preach only that?

Jenyar said:
Good news is there to be accepted or rejected. Bad news is common enough that I don't have to emphasize it. I won't tell you who goes to hell and who doesn't, because I can't. Christianity should teach what Christ taught, and Christ taught that sin ends in death and people need to repent and restore their relationship with the only One who can give life.

This is perspective. Good news? To you, perhaps. To me, it's HORRIBLE news, of unimaginable proportions. The Bible itself says most of mankind is going to hell (narrow is the way, few are those who find it, broad is the path to destruction, many are those who enter). That's HORRENDOUS news. I find it perhaps infinitely better news to think we just die and that's it, than to think that there's a God who's an eternal torturer of most of mankind.

Jenyar said:
God does nto go back on his word, and He did not make a mistke when He gae us life. He is taking back the life He gave us, and that's just the problem. Impurities will burn up in his holiness. There's no place for sin in God's kingdom. He can't tolerate it, or heaven would look a lot like earth does today. Where God reaches is not where God lives. Everywhere isn't holy because God is everywhere, it is holy where God "gathers"

When you speak of an omnipresent deity, and then say he "gathers" somewhere, just what are you really saying? There's a verse I believe which talks about "where can I flee from your presence?" And there's still the point of Satan being in the presence of God. Did God say "Leave me now, I can't tolerate your existence here, because you're the author of sin" and end the conversation there? Sure, I could see why God wouldn't want people who do these things in heaven. But if you were in heaven, why would you even want to still do these things? And why couldn't he change people (you yourself believe he changes people) so they wouldn't sin anymore?

Jenyar said:
Sin is left alone on earth, for the time being. In fact, some places where God punishes sin in the Bible, it is written that He "gives them over to sin". God lets the weeds grow, because there is still corn growing among it. Eventually, sin will also be gathered, along with everything that lives with it, and separated from the corn. If you can imagine of a cozy place for death, sin and every vile thought to live, without God's mercy, life and forgiveness - without all that is good and eternal - then please share.

Why would it need to live anywhere? Just destroy it. If God wanted to "have a few (million) whacks" at Hitler (for example) beforehand though, who would blame him? Destroying it is not torturing it for eternity. Big difference. You yourself are saying "death, sin, and every vile thought" lives, IN HELL, and people will LIVE forever, being tortured for eternity. It's not just merely "Oh this place where God has left, doesn't continue to maintain, etc". Evidently he still maintains it, because its fires are eternal, aren't they? And he maintains the soul's "integrity", doesn't he? I mean the souls are never destroyed. God continues to maintain hell, doesn't he? Otherwise, how does it eternally exist?

Last edited:
Sorry Medicine Woman. Been busy....

Jesus has been called Rabi, teacher....but, Im a beliver in Christ but i have no title of Christian. Same with Jesus, he doesnt HAVE to believe the exact same as the religous leaders. Especially since the Saducies tried to trap jesus with stuf THEY dont even believe in.

The original name for Christianity was called "The Way" (refering to the way of jesus). I do not recall the exact group. But locals began calling them Chritians "little Christs" so TECHNICLY hes Jewish. But that doesnt keep him from having his own beliefs.

anonymous2 said:
Jenyar, this is kind of like what I've read about the Bab of the Bah'ai religion (or even Mani for that manner). Maybe he and Mani sincerely believed their claims were true, I don't know. But they were both supposedly killed for their beliefs. I know, I know, "but Jesus resurrected", so no reason to go there, I already know the claim. ;) The Bab made religious claims, and was killed in Persia. The Bab supposedly was to be put to death and a firing squad fired, but when the smoke cleared, he wasn't to be found, then later on they found him back in his prison cell, I guess he had things he needed to get done before he was killed, or so says that "miracle story." You're arguing from the idea that the Bible is true, Jesus claimed to be the Messiah, he is who he said he was, etc, which is quite understandable, since you're a Christian.... but this is your view.
That's a disingenious argument. I don't believe Jesus' claims "because I'm a Christian". That would be circular logic. Besides, none of those who first heard him were Christian - there were no Christians. Jesus didn't make random religious claims, either. His very existence proceeded from the expectation and need of generations of people. He didn't fall from the moon, nor did His message. Jesus' ministry was one of confirmation as much as news.

His baptism by John the Baptist is a good example. Jesus would not have insisted on being baptized if he did not believe John's message. And did John's message come out of nowhere? Did it come from God, or from people?

Have I committed high treason though? And what's the punishment for that? Death, not eternal torture. ;)
How do you know there's a difference? You didn't pay attention to my argument.

You're still maintaining that God is just so mad he can't stop it, for eternity, he just keeps on and keeps on being mad. Remember, he's supposedly pissed off and hell is God's wrath, not Satan's, so isn't God the one maintaining hell? And he just can't stop himself from doing so? I find that incredible. If this human commits "high treason", does that nation hate him just as much, say, 5000 years in the future, than it did when they convicted him? I doubt it. Their anger wanes, doesn't it? Who could possibly be mad forever? But that's how I see the Bible God, mad forever.
Mad? It's not God's anger that will be appeased - it's his justice. Please show me where you get the idea that hell is "God's wrath". It's a place of judgment, like a prison. We don't sens people to prison to appease our wrath - no matter how mad we get at criminals.

God is maintaining heaven and justice... anything else is hell. It's everything that is not God. If a human commits hight treason, he is guilty for as long as he lives. The nation might forget why he was hated, but justice doesn't "forget". Where did you get that idea? If any hope for mercy and forgiveness is rejected, where would those come from? The guilt will remain forever.

What do you make of John 3:16? Why do you think it doesn't fit your argument?
First he says all who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law. Who is he talking about here? Why would he even use these terms, when just afterward, he tries to make the Gentiles have a "law" in a sense. Why not just say that, instead of the "all who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law" part, as if the Gentiles really have no law? Just odd to me.
It's odd because you don't realize that the law Paul is talking about is the Torah (having been a Jew, and speaking to Jews). Jews were under the impression that only they could be saved, since only they had the means to attain salvation, and everyone else were "apart from the law". But Paul shows them how their law is just as binding. Back to the concept of justice: if there is no law, you can't be considered guilty. This is an argument I hear often: "we don't believe in sin, so we can't be punished for it". But you do believe in an equivalent of sin, don't you? What else is morality than a law? What else is your conscience than a judge of that law?

God holds everyone accountable, not just Jews, and not just Christians. Without that, there would be no justice.

And when Paul says "This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets though Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares", what is he referring to? He doesn't actually say anything about a judgement before this, he just says Gentiles' thoughts are NOW accusing and NOW even defending them. Not later. Not in a later judgement. So it's odd wording to me. No wonder Peter said Paul was "difficult to understand." ;)
"Now this, now that". Ever heard the expression? Now he says one thing, now he says another. That "now" indicates contradiction. Internal conflict. God will judge by the law everybody is already applying. Just because time elapses between being caught, being sentenced and being jailed, doesn't mean different laws or sentences are being carried out each time. It's all part of the same process.

It might seem difficult to understand because you're trying to force a different interpretation - or an uneducated one.

So, what is Paul saying? Is he saying that the Gentiles will defend themselves on the Day of Judgement? I'm guessing so. But this does not say a single thing about those who haven't heard getting into heaven. Not one thing. Just because Paul thinks the gentiles "do by nature the things of the law", that doesn't necessarily mean he's saying that they'll get to heaven, does it, because he then says that their thoughts ACCUSE them (why accuse yourself if you're sinless?) and defend them, and he said "all have sinned", so he doesn't see the Gentiles as being exceptions to the "all have sinned" part, does he? All he's saying, to me, is that God will judge gentiles by the "law in their hearts", "their consciences", instead of the Law of Moses. That'd still make them sinners in need of Jesus just as much as a Jew, wouldn't it? So why did you even quote this passage? What do *YOU* think it means?
As I explained, it's a matter of accountability. The consequence is that nobody is without guilt, whether they derive their guilt from God's explicit laws, or implicitly - by showing they are aware of the need for laws. Yes, "all have sinned", when you understand sin this way. But likewise, not knowing Jesus does not make them ignorant of God, or takes away their ability to have faith in Him. It just leaves them open to uncertainty, or worse - leave them with a need to try working off their guilt, as if salvation depended on their efforts, or innocense could be earned. Some might have the perseverance to keep this up, others will feel its hopeless. Some might reject God altogether for demanding so much. They need to hear that God has heard them and sees their plight.

But that's the catch, isn't it? You have to assume those who haven't heard the gospel doesn't believe in God. Most people I know who reject their accountability is because they feel judged, and they don't like it. If you're so certain that you will be found innocent when God judges your secrets, why are you arguing with me? Are you trying to convince me those who haven't heard the good news are condemned? That they are without hope?

I see nothing about it saying that those who haven't heard can attain heaven, it doesn't even appear to be addressing that. To me, all it's saying is that the Gentiles have a standard, and so does the Jew, and they'll both be judged by each respective standard, kind of like how he says in the first part of the quotation, "All who sin apart from the law [Gentiles?] will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law [Jews?] will be judged by the law." Isn't that what he's trying to say?
Yes, but that's not why I quoted it. It's a departure point for my argument: that Gentiles have a way of knowing something similar to God's requirements without Judaism. The very idea that everyone could have God's law written in their hearts means they have some kind of interaction with it. Something that might lead to realization. It's that realization that leads people to invent gods, or look for Him. How far do people have to look before they find out about Christ?

Should I emphasize that "judgment" doesn't automatically mean condemnation? That punishment isn't necessarily eternal? It is eternal for those who reject God and the means of his salvation. How could it not be? What options are there? But in an analogy, Jesus said:
Luke 12
47"That servant who knows his master's will and does not get ready or does not do what his master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.​
But what about those who don't listen at all, who in fact deny the very existence of the master in whose house they live? Won't He drive them out when He returns? If you do what the obedient servants do, the master might recognize your obedience. But how will you know?
Does it mention anyone not an OT "worthy", or not connected with Israel or Christianity being in heaven? Does it say Buddha's in heaven? Not only that, but the fact is, there are many people after Jesus who don't believe. To me, to say, that anyone in the past is in heaven, who was not connected with Israel (say, like Rahab), or was an OT "worthy", or was a Christian, is just a theory. Where does the Bible say any of that?
James 2
24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.​
What was Rahab's faith? Her deeds. They were evidence of an implicit faith.
Hebrews 11
31By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.​
Her faith saved her by association, as opposed to someone who dissociates with God. And not just by lip-service association, but by taking action - like the woman who was healed by touching Jesus' robe. Was she healed only for this life, and not the next? Did everybody Jesus healed die and go to hell? Some of them weren't Jews or even believers. But He recognized their faith in spite, as far as it was in accordance to God's law: having hope, loving, forgiving, believing. They all have one thing in common: they recognized a need greater than themselves, and they didn't presume to save themselves or heal themselves. They were depenent on God's mercy, and they weren't disappointed.

And the simple question, IF people can get into heaven without Jesus or being an OT "worthy", or connected with Israel (Rahab), but instead just need "faith in God", then why would anyone in their right minds preach Jesus to people who already have "faith in God", therefore, putting their eternal souls in jeopardy? Just ask the Muslims if they think they have "faith in God." Why tell them about Jesus if they can get to heaven without specifically believing he's the savior? If people could really get to heaven merely by having "faith in God", then why not preach only that?
Because faith that is blind has no hope. We don't preach Jesus as a replacement or an alternative for God's mercy, but the inactment of God's salvation. A literal act of God - He embodies faith in God. Having faith in God doesn't stop there, as James points out. There is no such thing as "merely having faith in God". It requires recognizing when God delivers on His promises. If Rahab didn't recognize the opportunity and act on faith on that moment, would she still have been saved? Blind faith leads nowhere, and responds to nothing - because it's blind it doesn't see even God. What use is having faith in God when you're going to deny or reject what He does in response to that faith?

As I've said before, and I say this to Muslims as well: Jesus is the certainty we have - the proof of life. Not to make Christians the greatest most saved people around, but to present hope for those who otherwise would have had none. Do you know why some Muslims are prone to self-sacrifice in Allah's name? Because it's the ultimate sacrifice, it practically guarantees salvation. If you are uncertain of your worth, or whether God recognizes your faith and forgives your sins, you might feel the need to do more. It contradicts faith, and it's dangerous. Muslims are right: forgiveness is solely in God's hands, and He may decide either way - you have no control over His decision. But when He has decided, why not listen and respect His decision?

The amazing thing is that God made a living decision. A decision that is final, but also an open invitation.

This is perspective. Good news? To you, perhaps. To me, it's HORRIBLE news, of unimaginable proportions. The Bible itself says most of mankind is going to hell (narrow is the way, few are those who find it, broad is the path to destruction, many are those who enter). That's HORRENDOUS news. I find it perhaps infinitely better news to think we just die and that's it, than to think that there's a God who's an eternal torturer of most of mankind.
What prevents anyone from walking the narrow way? Isn't morailty itself also such a narrow way, yet you stake your freedom on it. Why? Why expect the world to respect your freedoms, no matter how rightful they might be? Because the truth is, not many people do. Criminals might seem like a minority group, but what makes one man a criminal makes another an adulterer, and another simply hate his brother.

If your concern is for the fate of the immoral, then do something about it. Make some case that will convince people not to cheat, lie or steal from each other. To respect their neighbours as themselves. Then stake your life on it, because if anybody thinks you only have your own confort in mind, your case will fall trhough the floor. It might be convenient to believe there is only "death", but that's just blind faith. Living a moral life in the face of that is almost a contradiction: you belive there is ultimately no justice, but you live as if there is.

But unless you are on the popular everybody-does-it road, and feel it must be justified, why make a case for it?

When you speak of an omnipresent deity, and then say he "gathers" somewhere, just what are you really saying? There's a verse I believe which talks about "where can I flee from your presence?" And there's still the point of Satan being in the presence of God. Did God say "Leave me now, I can't tolerate your existence here, because you're the author of sin" and end the conversation there? Sure, I could see why God wouldn't want people who do these things in heaven. But if you were in heaven, why would you even want to still do these things? And why couldn't he change people (you yourself believe he changes people) so they wouldn't sin anymore?
What I am "really saying" is what I said in the previous post: That where God's presence resides and where it reaches is not the same thing. The Jews called God's presence the Shekinah. It rested on the mercy seat, in the Holy of Holies, the innermost area of the Temple. Only the High Priest could enter there, and only with caution. It also appeared as an angel, a soft breeze, and in a burning bush. An example might clarify it further: "Where" are you? Are you only in the few square inches your feet occupy, the reach of your arms, or wherever people can see you? What constitutes your presence? How do you tolerate the sun, if it's there with you? Why don't you burn up in its inferno? And if it's not with you, has it gone somewhere else?

As for Satan, you know he wasn't always the entity you have in mind right now. In some places he is the accuser in God's service, and that's where his name comes from. That role is comparable to the prosecutor in a court of law. That role doesn't make him hateful or unacceptible as such. But what if the prosecutor leaves the courtroom and continues to accuse everybody, as if with the same authority? Is he still acceptible then? Is he still doing his job? What if he rebels against the authority of the court he served. Is he still welcome there?

You can't continue inventing scenario's for the sake of argument. I can appreciate a good hypothesis, but you are making assumptions about concepts that have a history and context of understanding.

Why would it need to live anywhere? Just destroy it. If God wanted to "have a few (million) whacks" at Hitler (for example) beforehand though, who would blame him? Destroying it is not torturing it for eternity. Big difference. You yourself are saying "death, sin, and every vile thought" lives, IN HELL, and people will LIVE forever, being tortured for eternity. It's not just merely "Oh this place where God has left, doesn't continue to maintain, etc". Evidently he still maintains it, because its fires are eternal, aren't they? And he maintains the soul's "integrity", doesn't he? I mean the souls are never destroyed. God continues to maintain hell, doesn't he? Otherwise, how does it eternally exist?
What is destruction? Wishing something away? Uninventing something? Unknowing it? Because creation doesn't work the same way in reverse. Energy can't be destroyed, yet it is destructive in some manifestations and productive in others. When we wield energy for a certain use, we are imposing order on it. Destroying that use, that order, simply lets it revert to what it was before. As the universe was before God imposed life, order and justice on it, so it still is without Him, but where there is existence, existence will remain. An existence without God is hell already, but living that existence with a burning desire to have life, a desire that will never be satisfied: that is torture. Not to mention that it will be shared with things much more terrible than God's judgment itself. Without Satan and his minions, death might have been peaceful, hell might even have been a sanctuary.

Destruction is a relative concept - relative to creation, but not to existence. God created a Kingdom where eternal life is possible with Him. Outside that Kingdom, neither death nor hell is possible, only eternal separation. Did you think the "fires of hell" are literal, that they burn in oxygen, or that living souls feeds it?
Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades [hell] were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.​
Forces you to reconceptualize a bit, doesn't it?

robtex said:
why if Jesus, knew the plan ahead of time, was he a Jew and not a Christian?
He discovered [or invented] it, therefore:
the first person to walk into Europe, wherever they came from, can't have been a European. Equally, the Wright Bros. weren't an aeroplane.
Makes just as good sense as any other religious explanation.

camphlps,

Where is it documented that Jesus relinquished or disagreed with his Judism? Where is it documented that he had conflicts with Judism? I have never read anything saying he thought of himself as non-jewish.

Therites, Please document anywhere where Jesus said he was a Christian. I have never ever seen anywhere in print where Jesus called himself a Christian or even mentioned the religion.

Jenyar said:
That's a disingenious argument. I don't believe Jesus' claims "because I'm a Christian". That would be circular logic. Besides, none of those who first heard him were Christian - there were no Christians. Jesus didn't make random religious claims, either. His very existence proceeded from the expectation and need of generations of people. He didn't fall from the moon, nor did His message. Jesus' ministry was one of confirmation as much as news.

Who said the Bab made some "random religious claims", or that Mani did? All I was saying is that you're arguing as a Christian, which makes sense, since you are one. Go read about the Bab if you want. There's a tradition in Islam for the expectation of the Mahdi, kind of like the Jewish/Christian concept of the Messiah. Some Bahai's see great correlation for the year 1844 when the Bab proclaimed his mission, that he would proceed the coming of someone greater (basically the same idea as John the Baptist and Jesus). People were supposedly expecting things around the year 1844, like the return of Jesus (see the Millerites). Jesus was not the only one who made a connection to prior religious thought (Jewish ideas about the Messiah). Baha'is connect all sorts of alleged prophecies of world religion to Baha'ullah. Zoroastrian tradition speaks of saviors. Baha'ullah derived His descent, from Abraham (the Father of the Faithful) through his wife Katurah, and on the other from Zoroaster, as well as from Yazdigird, the last king of the Sasaniyan dynasty. He was moreover a descendant of Jesse, and belonged, through His father, Mirza Abbas, better known as Mirza Buzurg - a nobleman closely associated with the ministerial circles of the Court of Fath-'Ali Shah - to one of the most ancient and renowned families of Mazindaran. (according to this site) http://beta.communities.msn.com.mx/...ssage=133407&LastModified=4675458200504495863).

You act like no other religious figure has ever tried to connect themselves to prior thought.

Jenyar said:
His baptism byJohn the Baptist is a good example. Jesus would not have insisted on being baptized if he did not believe John's message. And did John's message come out of nowhere? Did it come from God, or from people?

What do I think of John the Baptist? I don't know. If the Mandaeans are right, then he was a prophet, and I think in their view (though I'm not entirely sure, they may not want to say bad things about Jesus openly living with their Muslim neighbors) Jesus was a false prophet.

Jenyar said:
How do you know there's a difference? You didn't pay attention to my argument.

I paid attention to your argument, I just didn't agree with it. ;) Sure, you're forever guilty of something, but that doesn't mean you punish someone the same way at the time of their crime as compare with hundreds/thousands/eons in the future. I'd hate to think the justice system of humans would be based on your idea, for then we'd have judges saying "You're always guilty", "You can never pay for your crimes", "You must be in jail until you die". And yes, hell is God's wrath. Check out these verses and then tell me that hell is not God's wrath.

John 3:36: He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the *wrath* of God abideth on him

Romans 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and *wrath*,

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Romans 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

What do you think these verses are saying? There are other verses which refer to God's wrath, but I figure, why quote them, because you may say that they only refer to the Tribulation.

John 3:36 says God's wrath abides on the unbeliever. So God is always mad at the unbeliever, which includes his sentence in hell, wouldn't it? If you don't believe hell is God's wrath, please show me from the Bible that it's not.

Jenyar said:
God is maintaining heaven and justice... anything else is hell. It's everything that is not God. If a human commits hight treason, he is guilty for as long as he lives. The nation might forget why he was hated, but justice doesn't "forget". Where did you get that idea? If any hope for mercy and forgiveness is rejected, where would those come from? The guilt will remain forever

Sure, he's still guilty. But the punishment scenario you envision is unrealistic, because you don't believe anyone can ever pay for their crimes, or even ask God for forgiveness in the afterlife, not even for an eternity. And the fact remains that the slightest wrong thing would be guilty of hell according to Christianity, am I right or am I not? In reply to your example of high treason, let's say there's a boy, who reaches the "age of accountability", and he steals $1, and he was raised in an atheist household, and he doesn't believe in God. Then he gets ran over by a car and dies. Now, don't deny this Jenyar, please, don't. In Christian thought, does this boy go to heaven or hell? So stealing $1 would be enough to get hell, right? You can say it's not, but you know it's true. Tell me that it's not Christian theology which says the slighest sin warrants eternal hell. You're envisioning in your mind the worse kinds of criminals, and then saying God needs to punish that. But that's not Christianity, Jenyar. Christianity says the slighest crime is infinite, so the thief of $1 is just as offensive in God's eyes as Hitler. I find that view incredible and offensive.

Jenyar said:
God holds everyone accountable, not just Jews, and not just Christians. Without that, there would be no justice.

Remember though Jenyar, Christianity does not teach justice, it teaches the slightest wrong can never be repaid, and that one can never "serve their time", God never says "Well, alright, you've served your time, I guess I'll let you out now". Nor does he ever allow anyone to realize the error of their ways and ask (and he accept) their plea for forgiveness. Again, I find that view incredible, that God's so loving, but he can't possibly find a way in his heart to forgive people even in the afterlife.

Jenyar said:
It might seem difficult to understand because you're trying to force a different interpretation - or an uneducated one. .

You can say this if you wish. :) But the fact remains that even "Peter" says Paul is "difficult to understand".

Jenyar said:
As I explained, it's a matter of accountability. The consequence is that nobody is without guilt, whether they derive their guilt from God's explicit laws, or implicitly - by showing they are aware of the need for laws. Yes, "all have sinned", when you understand sin this way. But likewise, not knowing Jesus does not make them ignorant of God, or takes away their ability to have faith in Him. It just leaves them open to uncertainty, or worse - leave them with a need to try working off their guilt, as if salvation depended on their efforts, or innocense could be earned. Some might have the perseverance to keep this up, others will feel its hopeless. Some might reject God altogether for demanding so much. They need to hear that God has heard them and sees their plight..

And some might reject Christianity altogether because they think it's wrong, IF you preach it to them. And what would that warrant in Christian thought? IF the Muslim/Jew/Baha'i/Zoroastrian/Deist/whoever could get into heaven without explictly believing in Jesus, and just needed to maintain the path that they're on, I'd think nothing would justify preaching Jesus to them, if by preaching Jesus they would reject that message and get eternal damnation.

Jenyar said:
But that's the catch, isn't it? You have to assume those who haven't heard the gospel doesn't believe in God. Most people I know who reject their accountability is because they feel judged, and they don't like it. If you're so certain that you will be found innocent when God judges your secrets, why are you arguing with me? Are you trying to convince me those who haven't heard the good news are condemned? That they are without hope??

I'm not at all certain I would be found "innocent" in any deity's eyes. I do not even remotely claim I'm innocent. But I do claim I don't deserve eternal torture, and that the standard of "perfection or hell" is absurd. If God wanted to kick my butt from here and back for the things I've done wrong in my life, then I guess I'd have to lump it, even if I didn't like it. But I still find a *realistic* punishment scenario perhaps infinitely better than what Christianity teaches (most in hell).

I'm not trying to convince you that those who haven't heard are without hope, Jenyar. I was just wondering why you quoted those verses, because they don't seem to be directly addressing those who haven't heard. But, you are well aware that many Christians throughout history didn't see things the way you do (those who didn't hear "the gospel", after Jesus came, can get into heaven, or those who are in other faiths after Jesus came can get into heaven). You may *want* to believe that such people can get into heaven, but has this been the consistent position of Christianity? If it truly was the position, why has there been such a press to preach "the gospel"?

Jenyar said:
Yes, but that's not why I quoted it. It's a departure point for my argument: that Gentiles have a way of knowing something similar to God's requirements without Judaism. The very idea that everyone could have God's law written in their hearts means they have some kind of interaction with it. Something that might lead to realization. It's that realization that leads people to invent gods, or look for Him. How far do people have to look before they find out about Christ?

This depends on the time/situation they were born in, as you know. But the fact still remains, there are lots of people who truly think that they've already FOUND God/the gods, right within the tradition they already have, and see Christianity not as the "ultimate truth". Your scenario is kind of like "Sincere people will believe the gospel, once they hear it", but I don't believe that's necessarily the case. Christianity has been in India, how long? And look how many Hindus and Muslims are there. And there are some Jains and Zoroastrians. Are these people just all insincere people who really know Jesus is the "only way" and refuse to submit? I doubt it.

Jenyar said:
James 2
24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.​
What was Rahab's faith? Her deeds. They were evidence of an implicit faith.
Hebrews 11
31By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.​
Her faith saved her by association, as opposed to someone who dissociates with God. And not just by lip-service association, but by taking action - like the woman who was healed by touching Jesus' robe. Was she healed only for this life, and not the next? Did everybody Jesus healed die and go to hell? Some of them weren't Jews or even believers. But He recognized their faith in spite, as far as it was in accordance to God's law: having hope, loving, forgiving, believing. They all have one thing in common: they recognized a need greater than themselves, and they didn't presume to save themselves or heal themselves. They were depenent on God's mercy, and they weren't disappointed.?

These NT people believed in Jesus though, didn't they, even though the later theological certainties (Jesus was the Messiah, 2nd person of the Trinity, he paid for our sins) were revealed later, right?

Jenyar said:
If your concern is for the fate of the immoral, then do something about it. Make some case that will convince people not to cheat, lie or steal from each other. To respect their neighbours as themselves. Then stake your life on it, because if anybody thinks you only have your own confort in mind, your case will fall trhough the floor. It might be convenient to believe there is only "death", but that's just blind faith. Living a moral life in the face of that is almost a contradiction: you belive there is ultimately no justice, but you live as if there is

I have a conscience like (most) others, but I don't claim I live a "moral" life, as if I'm some bastion of morality. Some things just make sense from a societal point of view, why would I go around killing people? Now, if society didn't exist, and it was truly dog eat dog, then I guess that's the type of person I'd be, wouldn't I? I find it a bad proposition, to say that the only reason we should be moral, is that we fear hell and hope for heaven. We should be moral because we have respect for other people, not because of alleged eternal consequences, in my opinion. I almost find it scary that this argument exists, that perhaps the only thing restraining people from being horrible people is hell/heaven. IF that's the basis of one's morality, what happens if it's drug out from under them, and they lose faith? Scary thought.

Jenyar said:
What I am "really saying" is what I said in the previous post: That where God's presence resides and where it reaches is not the same thing. The Jews called God's presence the Shekinah. It rested on the mercy seat, in the Holy of Holies, the innermost area of the Temple. Only the High Priest could enter there, and only with caution. It also appeared as an angel, a soft breeze, and in a burning bush. An example might clarify it further: "Where" are you? Are you only in the few square inches your feet occupy, the reach of your arms, or wherever people can see you? What constitutes your presence? How do you tolerate the sun, if it's there with you? Why don't you burn up in its inferno? And if it's not with you, has it gone somewhere else?

Now, it's fairly obvious that the literal sun is not within close proximity, you're speaking of the sun when you're really speaking of the sun's warmth. The sun is not with me because it never was with me. ;) Surely you agree.

Jenyar said:
[As for Satan, you know he wasn't always the entity you have in mind right now. In some places he is the accuser in God's service, and that's where his name comes from. That role is comparable to the prosecutor in a court of law. That role doesn't make him hateful or unacceptible as such. But what if the prosecutor leaves the courtroom and continues to accuse everybody, as if with the same authority? Is he still acceptible then? Is he still doing his job? What if he rebels against the authority of the court he served. Is he still welcome there?

But he was the author of sin when he met up with God in Job, wasn't he? Before the creation of the world, you could argue that he wasn't the author of sin. But that's not the scenario in Job, is it? He rebelled long before Job, Jenyar. Or do you believe the serpent deceived Eve because God ordered him?

Jenyar said:
[What is destruction? Wishing something away? Uninventing something? Unknowing it? Because creation doesn't work the same way in reverse. Energy can't be destroyed, yet it is destructive in some manifestations and productive in others. When we wield energy for a certain use, we are imposing order on it. Destroying that use, that order, simply lets it revert to what it was before. As the universe was before God imposed life, order and justice on it, so it still is without Him, but where there is existence, existence will remain. An existence without God is hell already, but living that existence with a burning desire to have life, a desire that will never be satisfied: that is torture. Not to mention that it will be shared with things much more terrible than God's judgment itself. Without Satan and his minions, death might have been peaceful, hell might even have been a sanctuary.?

Jenyar, you're speaking of a soul as if it's some matter which God (even though he's supposedly omnipotent) can't destroy. You think God could violate the conservation of energy when he created energy, but couldn't violate it by destroying it. Isn't this a convenient hypothesis? Why should I believe that? I submit that God could destroy matter. You're acting like an omnipotent God is bound by some physical laws. That's somewhat humorous to me. The bottom line is that you're trying to rationalize the issue. There is no logical reason why God couldn't destroy a soul, as in, poof, it's gone.

Jenyar said:
[Destruction is a relative concept - relative to creation, but not to existence. God created a Kingdom where eternal life is possible with Him. Outside that Kingdom, neither death nor hell is possible, only eternal separation. Did you think the "fires of hell" are literal, that they burn in oxygen, or that living souls feeds it?
Revelation 20:14
Then death and Hades [hell] were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.​
Forces you to reconceptualize a bit, doesn't it?

But also read the verse (Rev 14:11)

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Doesn't sound like a cup of tea to me..

Last edited:
It could be argued that Paul, and not Jesus or his disciples, started Christianity. Until Paul, the followers of Christ were still very much an offshoot of Judaism. The descendants of the Pauline movement (especially the Roman Catholic Church) became very anti-semitic - rejecting everything Jewish - which was certainly not the intention of Jesus. True Christianity is to believe in the Jewish Messiah. This does not mean convert to Judaism since today's Judaism is almost as far away from 1st century Judaism as is today's Christianity.

David that is an excellent point that historically it is excepted by many that Paul started Christanity after Jesus death which brings us back to the orginal question. If Jesus was living a prophcy and was (according to Christians) to be the savior of Christians and an axle on which their religions rotated on, than why did he not call himself a Christian. Why did he not ever bring Christanity up at all? Why did he keep something like this a secret? Jesus was not big on secrets in the Bible.

anonymous2 said:

No, don't go there. Those two who were caught up are the "two olive trees" who stand continually before God and they are the "two witnesses" in Revelations which do eventually get killed and their bodies are left in the streets for three and a half days (we'll have to wait and see exactly what all this means when it happens). Yes, in Adam all die.

anonymous2 said:

Yes, sin is inherited only from the male side. Doesn't seem fair does it? ...but that is exactly what the bible says. Look at the second commandment (or the deleted one if you are Catholic):

"...For I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers onto the children to the third and fourth generation of them who hate me, and showing mercy to the thousandth of him who loves me and keeps my commandments."

You show your love for God by keeping the commandments which conversely means if you don't keep the commandments, you hate God. The Hebrew word abba (father) is specifically used here, not mother or anscestor. Look also at EX 34 where God passes by Moses:

"And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and fourth [generation]."

The iniquity of the fathers (not the mothers)... The passing of sins has nothing to do with genetics. God, by his own words, passes the sin of the fathers (not the mothers) onto the children. So to be without sin, someone would have to be perfect for four paternal generations. Jesus, however, had no sins of His father(s) to pass to him. He was therefore sinless at birth. Thus the necessity of virgin birth. The Catholics understand this quite well, which is why they have tried to make Mary also sinless by inventing virgin birth for her as well.

David F. said:
No, don't go there. Those two who were caught up are the "two olive trees" who stand continually before God and they are the "two witnesses" in Revelations which do eventually get killed and their bodies are left in the streets for three and a half days (we'll have to wait and see exactly what all this means when it happens). Yes, in Adam all die.

This is your theory. :) If you could show me where the Bible actually says this, I'd be interested. The "two witnesses" could just as easily be Elijah and Moses. Those two were actually mentioned in the New Testament in the "transfiguration".

robtex said:
David that is an excellent point that historically it is excepted by many that Paul started Christanity after Jesus death which brings us back to the orginal question. If Jesus was living a prophcy and was (according to Christians) to be the savior of Christians and an axle on which their religions rotated on, than why did he not call himself a Christian. Why did he not ever bring Christanity up at all? Why did he keep something like this a secret? Jesus was not big on secrets in the Bible.

Christianity is to be a follower of Christ. Christ couldn't very well be a follower of himself - so technically, he could not be a Christian.

However, as often as not, modern Christianity is to be a follower of Paul. I think this was not Paul's intention and it is as much the fault of succeeding generations corrupting Paul's writings as it is attributable to Paul (he is probably rolling over in his grave at what has been done with his writings).

Paul did give us one really big secret which Jesus alluded to but did not elaborate on. The Jews were all thrown out of the covenant because they were all covenant breakers - which makes them all equivalent to Gentiles. Paul's message is that we may (re)join the covenant in a new way by (spiritually) becoming the bride of the only remaining covenant member. Just as Gentile women (i.e. Rachab and Ruth) joined the first covenant - by marriage - the Gentiles could join the covenant by becoming the spiritual covenant partners of Jesus (please don't read anything homosexual into this). Just as a man and a woman become one body (Gen 2:24, Matt 19:5, Mark 10:7-8, 1 Cor 6:16-17, Eph 5:27-32) so the followers of Christ become one spirit with Him.

Since we enter the covenent as (spiritual) women, we do not need to be circumsised (OK - circusised in the heart). In the first covenant, it was the men who brought sacrifices - Jesus is the man and we are the (spiritual) women so we don't need to bring sacrifices. Our unrighteous, sinful spirit joins with the righteous spirit of Christ to form one spirit, and one spirit cannot be both righteous and unrighteous. Which do you think is stronger - our unrighteousness or Jesus' righteousness? Jesus' righteousness covers our unrighteousness without the need of any further sacrifice. As for the dietary laws, they are only health rules even in the OT - so follow them or don't follow them as you feel like being healthy.

Last edited:
anonymous2 said:
This is your theory. :) If you could show me where the Bible actually says this, I'd be interested. The "two witnesses" could just as easily be Elijah and Moses. Those two were actually mentioned in the New Testament in the "transfiguration".

Well, at least we agree on one of the witnesses - Elijah.

The other can't be Moses since he has already died and men only get to die once. The second death is in Hell (Rev 20:14). BTW, have you noticed that there are three people in the bible who endured a 40 day fast, and they were all on the mount of transfiguration? I wonder why?

David F. said:
Well, at least we agree on one of the witnesses - Elijah.

The other can't be Moses since he has already died and men only get to die once. The second death is in Hell (Rev 20:14). BTW, have you noticed that there are three people in the bible who endured a 40 day fast, and they were all on the mount of transfiguration? I wonder why?

I'm not sure sure it couldn't be referring to Moses. What do you think happened to those people who supposedly rose from the dead after Jesus did? Are they still alive or did they go up into heaven? The Bible doesn't say, does it?

David F. said:
Christianity is to be a follower of Christ. Christ couldn't very well be a follower of himself - so technically, he could not be a Christian.

However, as often as not, modern Christianity is to be a follower of Paul. I think this was not Paul's intention and it is as much the fault of succeeding generations corrupting Paul's writings as it is attributable to Paul (he is probably rolling over in his grave at what has been done with his writings).

Paul did give us one really big secret which Jesus alluded to but did not elaborate on. The Jews were all thrown out of the covenant because they were all covenant breakers - which makes them all equivalent to Gentiles. Paul's message is that we may (re)join the covenant in a new way by (spiritually) becoming the bride of the only remaining covenant member. Just as Gentile women (i.e. Rachab and Ruth) joined the first covenant - by marriage - the Gentiles could join the covenant by becoming the spiritual covenant partners of Jesus (please don't read anything homosexual into this). Just as a man and a woman become one body (Gen 2:24, Matt 19:5, Mark 10:7-8, 1 Cor 6:16-17, Eph 5:27-32) so the followers of Christ become one spirit with Him.

Since we enter the covenent as (spiritual) women, we do not need to be circumsised (OK - circusised in the heart). In the first covenant, it was the men who brought sacrifices - Jesus is the man and we are the (spiritual) women so we don't need to bring sacrifices. Our unrighteous, sinful spirit joins with the righteous spirit of Christ to form one spirit, and one spirit cannot be both righteous and unrighteous. Which do you think is stronger - our unrighteousness or Jesus' righteousness? Jesus' righteousness covers our unrighteousness without the need of any further sacrifice. As for the dietary laws, they are only health rules even in the OT - so follow them or don't follow them as you feel like being healthy.

paragraph by paragraph.

one
If Jesus wasn't a Christian or the first Christian like you stated, why would anyone want to become one if there sacred leader was not. Did Jesus ever anywhere in the Bible ask or tell anyone to become a Christian ever?
two
Many Christians see the Bible as written by man through God and thus has no errors. You just said it had errors. What specific parts of Pauls letters had errors, or ones that could be corrupted(thus implying inperfection due to ambiguity or multiple intereptaions). (just pick two or three if too much) and say what made it right or wrong.

three
Where did Jesus or Paul ever suggest or say that the Jews were all thrown out of the covenant. By saying this you are saying that Jesus left Judism. Can you show me where he leaves Judism in the Bible?

four
Sacrifices meaning things to Kill to prove love to God? If so talking about the convenant how about "thou shall not murder"? How do you sacrifice and not murder? Those "dietary laws" meaning kosher foods, are still practiced by Jews today. If Jesus really wanted to seperate himself from Jews that would have been the way to do it since Christians do not obey the kosher laws but many Jews do. Did he, to the best of your knowledge, in the Bible break the kosher laws? if so where?

Back