why is incest bad

To the second i agree whole heartedly (one of the most insulting statements i have ever read for BOTH genders)

to the second your article could just as well be about homosexuality you know
No actually, it could not. The article mentions what they call a "kinship detector". This is not about homosexuality, for a simple reason:

The research suggest humans automatically and unconsciously gauge the relatedness of people they meet beginning from a young age. People use at least two separate and obvious cues to determine whether someone is a brother or sister: If an individual is younger than us, we unconsciously observe how much time they’ve spent with our mothers; if they are older, we note how long we’ve lived with them.

What we do with that information was not so obvious until the new study was done.

If through this process we conclude that an individual is a sibling, then three things happen: We’re more inclined to go the extra mile for them; our yuck-factor at the thought of even making out with them shoots up; and our aversion to sibling-incest increases.

http://www.livescience.com/4363-kinship-detectors-prevent-incest-cases.html

I'll put it this way.. How many of you were actively taught by your parents that you should not be attracted to your sibling or to another close relative? And if you were not, where does your aversion to wanting to have sex with a close relative of yours come from?

oh and about power imbalances, one word for you S&M
S&M is voluntary. In other words, both participants enter into the relationship or begin S&M because that is what gets them off.

quadraphonics said:
Not to defend incest, but there are power imbalances in all relationships. It is unclear whether equality is necessary or even conducive to stable, satisfied relationships.
I am not saying that is not the case. What I am saying is that the power imbalance in incesteous relationships bears further weight because of the familial relationship that is already in place. And if we have an alleged in built aversion to incest, is there a 'grooming' factor to bypass it in the first place? I think the study is interesting but it does open up a whole can of worms.

For example, Asguard discusses that if it is between two consenting adults, then it is no one's business. And he may be right. But when I read that and then consider the findings in this study, I have to wonder if it is possible or probable if some level of grooming takes place when one is from a very young age to make them think it is acceptable by the time they become adults.

Because by the time we are adults, we will usually be going 'omfg ewww' at the thought of bonking a relative. How is that disgust factor bypassed? Or does the actual relationship start from a very young age?

Bells if you go back to the start of the thread it was about 2 twins which were sepratated at a young age because the dad took one to the US and they started dating without even knowing they were related

Umm you do realise that every young girls pin up boy (prince harry) comes from a family whos whole claim to fame is that they are fucking there relitives

No.

Their claim to fame is that they are the Royal Family of the United Kingdom.

Bells if you go back to the start of the thread it was about 2 twins which were sepratated at a young age because the dad took one to the US and they started dating without even knowing they were related

Yes, I am well aware of the OP. However, it is very rare for something like this to happen. My posts, as I had assumed would have been fairly obvious, was about general incest and not very rare occurences such as that in the OP.

But what about the consenting relationships between Hawaiian, Egyptian, etc royalty?

What about them?

Do you assume that because they were 'royalty', no such power imbalance was present in the relationship? That the relationship was not skewed by the familial relationship in the first place?

So complicated

Bells said:

Do you assume that because they were 'royalty', no such power imbalance was present in the relationship? That the relationship was not skewed by the familial relationship in the first place?

But that's so complicated!

The idea of relations between humans, according to the pro-incest argument, is extremely simple. That is, people are people are people.

The idea that pre-existing family relationships might affect authority roles between lovers is more complicated.

And "love"? Well, "love" shouldn't be complicated. You know, storybooks and all that. Happily ever after. I mean, no faery-tale lovers ever had a fight about anything after the end of the story. Not Snow White and Prince Charming, nor Ariel and Prince Whateverhisnameis, and so on. Edward and Vivian, Joe and Kathleen ... I don't recall, were Harry and Sally supposed to have a happily ever after?

Reality is much more complicated, m'kay?

To the other, in matters of incest, I agree with P.J. O'Rourke: Having sex with a sibling only reminds that one is too pathetic to get a real date, and parents should never screw their own children except in their last will and testament.

So, you know, maybe I'm just unfairly biased against these closed-system lovers.

Back