Why is a meteor worshipped at Mecca? What's it's significance?

Well the hadj is famous for crushing people to death in mob hysteria. I think a bunch of people suffocated once too.

What good comes from kissing space debris anyways? How has it affected the Muslims, good or bad?

Kissing the debris as you call it, is just one of the rituals of umra or Haj. How has it affected Muslims? For better or worse, it keeps us as one people. Even if the Kaaba were to go away tomorrow, it would just be rebuilt, in and of itself, neither the Kaaba nor the stones have any value. They are just symbols of a shared history, an incentive to ask questions about the past of Islam, much like everything else in Mecca.

Kissing the debris as you call it, is just one of the rituals of umra or Haj. How has it affected Muslims? For better or worse, it keeps us as one people.

Are Christians & Jews allowed to kiss it?

Has the space rock ever been analyze as to composition? What's it made of?

THe black rock actually looks like the slag which formed from the impact of a meteor or from volcanic activity. This tends to be 90ish% fused glass from local sands and 5-10% iron/nickle and oxides. Here is some from the Wabar impact site
Wabar_1.jpg
and a nice collection of similar glasses of volcanic and meteoric origin: http://www.b14643.de/Tektites/index.htm

Are Christians & Jews allowed to kiss it?

Has the space rock ever been analyze as to composition? What's it made of?

Christians and Jews have been forbidden in Mecca since the Sauds started controlling Hejaz. Except when they let in French soldiers etc

No, its never been analysed. Besides, there is no way of knowing if its the original black rock anyway.

Do you think that these magical stones will speak to you after you are dead IF you kiss them?

How about Allah or Mohammad? Do you think that these magical beings will speak to you after you are dead IF you pray to them?

I think that this is why the rocks are fascinating. How can a person, on the one hand, recognize that these people believe in kissing the magical rocks in the hopes that will help them after they are dead, while in the other, pray to magical beings in hopes they will help them after they are dead? It's odd, really.

One of the common stories associated with the black rock.

When Umar ibn al-Khattab (580-644), the second Caliph, came to kiss the Stone, he said in front of all assembled: "No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm anyone nor benefit anyone. Had I not seen Allah's Messenger [Muhammad] kissing you, I would not have kissed you."

Also the Saudis are pretty good about standing there and telling anyone who looks too worshipful, Its only sunnah, don't make it shirk.

They also do this at the Muqaam-e-Ibrahim.

Christians and Jews have been forbidden in Mecca since the Sauds started controlling Hejaz. Except when they let in French soldiers etc

No, its never been analysed. Besides, there is no way of knowing if its the original black rock anyway.

Rock kissing is something I would consider paranormal. Yes, millions have done it but what is driving them to do it? What is the enticement, the allure, the reward for bussing a boulder?

No idea, but its a pretty old tradition. You must have heard of the Blarney stone?

I have. In Newfoundland they have a ceremony for first time visitors where they make you an honorary Newfoundlander by Kissing the Cod. Now everyone knows its just for fun so I wonder if the meteor liplock started as a joke and somewhere along the line it became serious.

Like I said, it was a part of an earlier structure and became a point of diplomacy after the structure was rebuilt. Kissing is a very Arab thing.

Oh I wouldn't restrict kissing to the Arab domain. It's global. Are you referring to the man to man part of smooching?

It's perfectly fine to kiss these rocks. It's tradition.

The funny point is Islam is supposed to be against idolatry yet practices idolatry right in it's most holy site.

People are funny like that.

It's perfectly fine to kiss these rocks. It's tradition.

The funny point is Islam is supposed to be against idolatry yet practices idolatry right in it's most holy site.

People are funny like that.

Oh no you didn't.

Yeah, kissing a rock is clearly idolatory.

Ever get the notion that atheists have very fixed beliefs as much as they claim theists do?

/smooches rock on ring finger

To the OP: Why is a meteor worshipped at Mecca?

For a few people it only a tradition.
For most Muslims it's another superstition in their larger superstitious world view. Simply put, they truly believe the rocks are magical and will one day talk to them, or even bless them right then and there. Such superstitious belief is absolutely no different than believing in the lucky number 7 or lucky 8s or the magical Allah. It's all exactly the same.

M

Back