Why I decided to believe

Originally posted by VAKEMP
OldSchoolThinker,

Understandable. Once in a while I'll post something irrational like that...to try and see where people like whatsupyall are coming from. :D

It can be hard for people to question their family's values. What makes it worse is the lack of education regarding religion. I can admit I suffer from religious ignorance. They don't teach about religion, and the various types. You have to learn by going to church...and you know a church isn't going to claim they aren't following the word of God. So, most people just fall in line with what the rest of their neighborhood/family believes.

I've read a little bit of the Torah, which is basically the Old Testament like you stated earlier. I've also looked on several Jewish websites, and have come to the conclusion that Judaism has a more positive perception of religion and God than Christianity. I think I remember reading somewhere that Jews don't believe in heaven and hell...just a place closer or farther away from God based on your actions (correct me if I'm wrong...I am no expert).

Now, someone on another thread is telling me about the Quran, and how the Torah, Bible, and Quran are all connected to the same God. According to this person, each is written by prophets, when God has decided some clarification is necessary. With that information, how can I discount the possibility that the Book of Mormon is also the word of God, revised and updated?

So many questions, so many different answers! I could literally spend a lifetime researching all of this, just to end up no more certain than I began!

;)

I have read up on Judaism and the various beliefs that it contains. There view of God is more positive. From my understanding of Judaism, they believe the way to God is practicing God in their own life by respecting other people and treating them in a humane way. I dont know how Judaism became twisted into the Jesus-centered Christian theology. But its sure interesting. The oppression of Jews didnt really start until the emergence of Christianity. Its Sad how different beliefs can cause human beings to hurt and condemn each other instead of bringing each other together. I wanted to comment on the religous education thing. It is so unfortunate that people dont know about the different religious beliefs of other cultures and ancient civilizations because of the prejudged, closed-minded society we live in. You are right about spending a lifetime researching about religions, because learning is a lifelong process. I've researched all kinds of stuff. I'm fascinated with ancient Egyptian philosophy and their mystery schools. There philosophy is beautiful. I've looked in Hermetism, Gnostism, and some Eastern Philosophy. Right now, I'm on a Judaism and Taoism kick. I combine my interests in Mythology and Ancient history to get a better understanding of the HISTORY of religion and why did they develop the way they did. Its funny how people dont know how much Knowledge opens up your mind and allows you to see the world in a new light. Knowledge leads to understanding, and understanding leads to acceptance. I don't mean to sound philosophical or nothing, but I believe that we should change the way we are taught in this society. There should be courses on Taoism, Hindism, Islam, Egytian and Chinese Philosophy. Even Atheism. History, Philosophy and even Psychology is related because it deals with human relations.
If people were willing to open their minds and have to courage to put all their most cherished beliefs on a table, then we proberly wouldnt have all the problems that go on in this world today.

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

But here faith was wrought with works, which tends to suggest a symbiotic relationship. The context does not suggest that there is a faith is the cause of works and Romans 5:1 suggests that faith is necessary but not necessarily that it is sufficient. The basic message of James 2 seems to you can't just coast by on works because we have really high standards that you can't possibly meet. But you can't just have faith because that wouldn't be much use as a social control(paraphrasing here). So you must have both.

Buddhism is the truth. When I am old enough, I am moving away from this pitiful nation called America. My church turned me away from God. They showed me how ludicrous the system really is. Deists are the only true Christians.

I can't imagine a more positive view of God than one following the God described in the Bible, whether Jewish or Christian. As for fire and damnation - whose realm does those belong to? Satan's - not God's.

Luke 10:16"He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."
17The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."
18He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

Judaism is based on the expectance of a messiah. That is what ther prophets had predicted. They expect a human messiah, descended from the House of David. They didn't expect God to send his Son. But, as Jesus also points out, David himself said:
Psalm 110 (NIV)
1 The LORD says to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet."

David himself called the messiah Lord. As some manuscripts have 110:7 "The One who grants succession will set him in authority".

Jesus is the Son of God, more than He is the son of David. It's that fine destinction that separates Judaism from Christianity. You can have as nice a spirituality as you want, whether Buddhism, Judaism or even Christian spirituality - but that doesn't mean you know God. What people don't get is that that is more important than how well you live. The best religion isn't the one who makes God "more acceptible", but the one who gives the truest image of who God is and what His will is.

Don't ignore the fact that the Jews suppressed Christianity viciously. Saul was a devout Jew before he became Paul:
Acts 22:3
"I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. Under Gamaliel I was thoroughly trained in the law of our fathers and was just as zealous for God as any of you are today.

Acts 5
28"We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood."
29Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men! 30The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead--whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. 31God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel. 32We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."
33When they heard this, they were furious and wanted to put them to death. 34But a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, who was honored by all the people, stood up in the Sanhedrin and ordered that the men be put outside for a little while. 35Then he addressed them: "Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. 36Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. 37After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. 38Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. 39But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."
40His speech persuaded them. They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
41The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. 42Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.

What makes you think only Christians and not anyone else can know God? Do you have some monopoly or something? That's the problem with religion, people say their religion is the ultimate truth. They say only our religion can know God. That is so Arrogant. If I was a religious person, I'll prefer Judaism over Christianity because its not as restrictive as Christianity and it doesnt focus on getting into some ideal afterlife. They also have interesting interpretations of the Talmund and the Torah. And you cant forget the Kaballah- the mystical part of Judaism. Followers of the Christian religion have committed more violent acts in the name of their God than Judaism and some other religions.

Example: Inquistition, The Crusades, The collapse of Egyptian civilization, Europeon Colonization of Africa, The New World, Austraila, Pacific, African Slavery, The Salem Witch trials

As for fire and damnation - whose realm does those belong to? Satan's - not God's.

You are right BUT Satan was a part of God's Ultimate Plan. Right? What boggles my mind is that God must have created Hell, whether it be directly or indirectly. "He" knows everything. He created everything. Seems like God and Satan are working together :confused:

What makes you think only Christians and not anyone else can know God?

I know exactly what you mean. It is so typical. How can Christians ask to believe through Faith when that is what the majority of all religion rely on. Their proof is their Faith. So if Faith can be used to determine truth how can one argue religion? How can you know God but not others that belong to a different religion? How can you determine this? Why do you determine this? Faith can be argued just as effective for any religion.

And you cant forget the Kaballah- the mystical part of
Judaism.

I studied some Kaballah before. It is very interesting. I have a book on it. It talks about the Four World(different density levels I believe) and how they react with one another and the Tree of Life.

LIGHTBEING,

I also think Kabbalah is very interesting. :)
Just out of curiosity, what is the name of
the book?

LIGHTBEING,

No problem - when/if you get a chance. Like I
said, I was just curious. Thanks for the reply,
much appreciated. :)

Back