Why does evolution select against atheists?

although "god" is a possibility in this equation i find the prospect unlikely.

i define "god" as an all powerful, righteous supernatural being full of love and compassion for humanity.

i know this, if there is a god then i didn't ask to be a part of his test.

Did you see my posts about the meaning of 'supernatural' ?
If not, see if you agree :)

:wallbang:

HOW does that make it supernatural (nonexistent) ??

Let me ask you this:
Is a car supernatural to someone that lays eyes on it for the first time and never heard of anything like it before ?

Yeah, haven't you seen any movies on ice age men being defrosted in the modern age?

Did you see my posts about the meaning of 'supernatural' ?
If not, see if you agree :)
uh, post #?
"Are we having fun yet?" ~~ Zippy Pinhead
no, because all you are doing is laying there.
you could at least wiggle around a little.
Yeah, haven't you seen any movies on ice age men being defrosted in the modern age?
your metaphors are really hard to understand sometimes.

diamond said:
What I meant was that religions, like atheism, can become tools and resources to allow regimes and parties to gain power.
And what I meant was that US atheists woudl be the last people on the planet to overlook that - it's a major issue in our daily political life.
diamond said:
Therefore it is improper to say that religions inspire men to oppress other
Except for the times when they do, of course. But that's no big deal - I haven't been talking about that anyway, and neither have most of the other people you've been sandbagging with that kind of crap around here.
daimond said:
some men will use all means available to control other men regardless, if religion can be manipulated for this purpose, it will be.
A ray of hope! One of the major problems with certain kinds of religion, that. It's a powerful weapon in the hands of tyranny - and it seems to fall into the hands of tyranny very quickly and easily, almost as if invented for the purpose. Look at North Korea - a theistic religion (Juche) invented by a local tyranny, with no other apparent role except the service of the local tyranny. And some obvious parallels with the circumstances and origins of the Abrahamic theisms await recognition, whenever you have the time.
leopold said:
Scientific types are all such obvious fools, aren't they.

if i were you i would ask myself what was it that knocked biogenesis from its lofty perches of a scientific law.
? Now what?
leopold said:
as you can see thew RNA world depends on selection between the two types of a racemic mixture.
i don't thinkthis has been accomplished.
It has obviously been accomplished. Nobody knows how it happened, is the issue at hand.
SAM said:
I think supernatural means you could not find a rational explanation for it.
It means you've overtly denied the possibility of finding a natural place for it, on principle - that it is not part of the natural world, discovered or undiscovered. Among native speakers of English, that is.

So that the argument over whether UFOs are supernatural or not does not rest on whether they've been explained naturally or not. Likewise sprites, or the loud musical tones emitted by sand dunes.
SAM said:
I think it supernatural that at its very basis, all matter is composed of quarks.

I think its supernatural that we go from such basic matter to life
So a hundred years ago, the atomic theory of matter would have been your ground of the supernatural? Scientific theory is the basis of the supernatural? That is not a common use of the word, among native speakers of English. It would be ragarded as "wrong", by people who care about things like definitions and reason and consistency and other such trivialities. That usage is what people like Dawkins accuse theists of promulgating, and get labeled shrill and hostile and irrational and simplistic and so forth in consequence.

as a christain i've never been taught anyone was inferior, evil, or downright inhuman because they didn't believe.
There have been plenty of times and places when the Christian community managed to behave itself and apparently you had the good fortune to live in one of them. Perhaps the USA in the 1950s and 1960s when the Religious Left (a label which, strangely, was never actually coined until long after the Religious Right came into power) was campaigning for an end to war and racism. In fact, an unweighted measure based strictly on number of years multiplied by number of Christians, Muslims and Jews might give the illusion that the Children of Abraham have spent more of their time on Earth being good than being bad. But you have to weight the measure and take into account their positive and negative accomplishments. When you do that, Abrahamism is revealed as the epitome of evil that it truly is.

Mankind has only created six civilizations, and Abrahamists in the name of their god and with the active encouragement of their religious leaders obliterated three of them: Egypt, Inca and Olmec/Maya/Aztec. It's hard to imagine a more unpardonable "sin" than the destruction of an entire civilization, with all of its ideas and motifs; it's an incalculable loss to human culture that can never be atoned. We will live with that shame until our sun flares out. And this was done, precisely, by people who believed that those who didn't believe as they did were "inferior, evil or downright inhuman."

It's hard to ignore the long history of the Europeans and Arabs considering the "heathen" Africans to be subhuman, justifying slavery. Or their similar feelings toward the Jews. Or those of the good Anglicans in England toward the Catholic Irish. Or (arguably a majority of) today's Christian Americans toward Muslims.

Add to that the wars the Abrahamists wage upon each other, or when no one else is handy upon rival sects within their own clan--Jung pointed out that "the wars among the Christian nations have been the bloodiest in human history." Of the non-Abrahamist tyrants only Genghis Khan is in their league.

(At this point Sam will jump in with another of her disingenuous arguments and try to convince you that the death toll of the communists can be charged to atheism, carefully ignoring the fact that communism is an offshoot of Christian philosophy and that "to each according to his need, from each according to his ability" is a quote from the Bible. Imagine a Confucian or a Hindu believing that what a man takes from civilization does not need to correlate with what he gives back. The Confucians have already put Das Kapital back into what's left of Marxism.)
Atheism will indeed, without a doubt, bring us down to the level of the ape. as a matter of fact atheism will make humanity EQUAL to the ape.
Homo sapiens is a species of ape. And the last time I looked at the newspaper it was clearly religionists who were dead set on destroying civilization, not atheists. Sam can't blame the commies any more even if we believed her twisted rant about communism being an atheist philosophy.
whoa, stop, wait a minute. religion is instinctive? you don't find that odd fraggle?
I realize this thread is so long as to be unmanageable and I haven't read more than ten percent of the posts either. In one of my earlier posts I explained what Jung calls archetypes. They are instinctive beliefs that are hard-wired into our synapses by our DNA, and they can be recognized by their occurrence in all societies in all eras. Religions are collections of archetypes.

The basic answer to the question in the O.P., "Why does evolution select against atheists," is that we are pre-programmed to believe in religion. For most people atheism is something that has to be arrived at by reasoning and learning, in order to override instinctive behavior. Being masters of cognitive dissonance, many humans can accept an incredible amount of evidence against religion and still believe in it.

As to why we happen to be preprogrammed for a destructive behavior, I went into that in my earlier post. Religion may have done some good in the Stone Age, but it's far outlived its usefulness. Or it could be a random mutation passed down through a genetic bottleneck.

Not all of us are that way, the force of mutation is active. I was never indoctrinated into a religion and I never developed any yearning for it; the gene seems to have skipped me. Perhaps the one thing I regret most about never having children is that I didn't pass that mutation into the next generation. Unfortunately by the time we understood about DNA and archetypes my wife and I were way too old to start.
is this why "creation scientists" are labeled as deluded, inferior, or somehow mentally deficient, so their "evidence" would be considered not respectable?
No, it's the other way around. What they offer as evidence does not satisfy any scientific criteria, so they're labeled as crackpots or (in some cases) simply manipulative liars. The scientific method is objective enough that it doesn't take an Einstein to spot the flaws in a hypothesis. Circular reasoning and other fallacies, or no reasoning at all but arguments based on faith, are the stock in trade of the creationists. They don't even understand the science they object to, since they posit divine creation as being a denial of evolution, yet what they're arguing against is actually abiogenesis, not evolution.
Down through the years, countless thousands of scientists in various disciplines have established the law of biogenesis as just that—a scientific law stating that life comes only from preexisting life and that of its kind.
We've been able to trace the tree of life from its current astounding complexity back to some amazingly humble and simple progenitors. Clearly the definition of life as a local reversal of entropy, increasing entropy all around it in order to develop ever greater complexity, is supported by a couple of billion years of evidence. What came before those pathetically simple single-celled prokaryotes, pray tell? Anything simpler than those lifeforms would be organic compounds, but not life.
then i respectfully request a logical explanation for things becoming alive.
Be patient. We keep finding bits and pieces. As the 19th was the century of chemistry and the 20th the century of physics, many are predicting that the 21st will be the century of biology. They might have this all worked out by its end.
who said anything about a god?
The overwhelming majority of the evolution denialists. If you're not one of them then good for you, but you're a soft voice in the wilderness compared to their bleating.

Mankind has only created six civilizations, and Abrahamists in the name of their god and with the active encouragement of their religious leaders obliterated three of them: Egypt, Inca and Olmec/Maya/Aztec.

Egypt ceased being an independent civilization with its destruction by the pagan Roman empire. Furthermore, only when Arabic culture and Islam entered Egypt, did Egypt again become a global superpower. You should read more about Egypt, the Egyptians were speaking Latin when the Arabs came. The Egyptians embraced Arabic culture in denial of the Roman culture which they were forced to adopt. Furthermore, American civilizations were destroyed for secular means, control of the people and of their resources, not religion.

Arabs considering the "heathen" Africans to be subhuman

Except however, they readily intermarried with the Africans. What does this say about the Arabs, think about it.

Of the non-Abrahamist tyrants only Genghis Khan is in their league.

Stalin, Lenin, and the rest of the atheist murderers are somehow absent. I guess it doesn't serve our purposes to emphasize them.

Last edited:
Egypt ceased being an independent civilization with its destruction by the pagan Roman empire. Furthermore, only when Arabic culture and Islam entered Egypt, did Egypt again become a global superpower. You should read more about Egypt, the Egyptians were speaking Roman when the Arabs came. The Egyptians embraced Arabic culture in denial of the Roman culture which they were forced to adopt. Furthermore, American civilizations were destroyed for secular means, control of the people and of their resources, not religion.

Speaking Roman?

Except however, they readily intermarried with the Africans. What does this say about the Arabs, think about it.

Intermarried?

It tells me they were screwing the women.

Back