Why do theists associate with non-theists?

@Signal --
A better statement would have been that most moral issues seem to be currently unprovable, there's no reason to think that it will stay that way, that's certainly not what history shows. If history is any guide then we'll soon be discovering things that remove the ambiguity from many moral issues.
Ooh, now there's a topic!
I doubt that, utterly and completely (but couldn't say why).

I already know you are agnostic and with Theravadan Buddhist tendencies. But so far, you have never described yourself as "religious."
What do you mean by describing yourself as "religious"?

I said that I was a "religious agnostic".

That is, an agnostic regarding knowledge about transcendental religious matters. Not an agnostic about all knowledge in general. I think that I know countless things, to a reasonable degree of certainty at least.

But having said that, I don't deny that I'm religious. I probably am extremely religious, at least according to some definitions of the word. But I might not be religious at all according to other definitions.

I don't think that classifying and pigeon-holing me is very interesting or very important.

What do you understand by "intelligent"?

Wow, too big a topic for a short answer. Quickie = being able to see others points of view, respect, ability to at least recognize that someone else has a legit point.

In that order?

My preset mode is respect.

I suggest you start a thread on this.
I do not think such equal footing even exists - other than by relativizing one's own position to the point that it is trivial.

I think a large issue revolves around the different ways of knowing i.e. intuition and logic.

What do you think is the reason why some people are so open?

I can only speak for me, and for me the reason I'm open to what others think and experience is that I am seeking to understand the truth of things as fully as I can.

Are you of a Protestant denomination?
Is the church in which you are a pastor, of a Protestant denomination?

Yep, an Evangelical denomination. Actually, It ain't a very good fit for my beliefs anymore, but hey, bloom where you're planted, I've always said.

Finally, how do I get my original quotes into this message?

@Gandalf --

I've been meaning to ask you, you say that you'll happily respect the faith of others if they respect yours(setting aside just how un-christ-like that is), but will you respect a person's lack of faith as well?

First, setting up a question followed by a backhanded insult is never a good way to engage someone.

In answer to your question, if someone wishes to dialog with me in good "faith" :D, their lack of religious faith doesn't matter. I don't have time, though, for those who want to score points in some on-going argument trying to discredit/humiliate another's faith or lack of faith for kicks and giggles.

A better statement would have been that most moral issues seem to be currently unprovable, there's no reason to think that it will stay that way, that's certainly not what history shows. If history is any guide then we'll soon be discovering things that remove the ambiguity from many moral issues.

Post-dated rainchecks really are not a consolation when your own ass is on the line.

The way I tend to look at it is that morality is subjective to the end goal you desire to accomplish.

For many people, I think this is where the core problem is to begin with: What goals to pursue? What to value?

I think goals are not a given at all.

Why control?
To reduce the vagaries to which we are subject, I suppose.

To what end?

Perfect illustration of my rather flippant point. Yep, we can decide, but there'll usually be someone who dispute that decision. E.g. thieves in this case.

What are the implications for one if others dispute one's moral convictions?

I don't think that classifying and pigeon-holing me is very interesting or very important.

:eek:

I just wanted to know, as your calling yourself "religious" caught my attention.
I myself could probably also call myself a "religious agnostic with Theravadan Buddhist tendencies."
I've never really thought about calling myself such until I read your post.

:)

@Signal --

No, the goals are not a given at all. The only real commonality is that virtually all humans(except known outliers like psychotics) shrink from the act of personally harming others, we don't like it. Beyond this a given set of goals is mostly based on societal and political norms, not really givens.

However, this doesn't mean that all methods are equally good, it just depends on what the goals are. If your goal is to be like christ then christianity is a better method than islam is. If you're goal is to reduce the amount of human suffering then secular humanism works better than just about anything else. That's sort of what I was getting at.

If you're goal is to reduce the amount of human suffering then secular humanism works better than just about anything else.

I don't see any evidence of that.

Surely, secular humanism seems to work fine - in the short run. But in the long run, it seems to create even more problems.

Consider the hunger problem in Africa, and how it was exacerbated by Western help.

I don't see any evidence of that.

Surely, secular humanism seems to work fine - in the short run. But in the long run, it seems to create even more problems.

Consider the hunger problem in Africa, and how it was exacerbated by Western help.
It was exacerbated by our help???
How so? Any evidence to support this?
Is the money we give making things worse? Are the wells that it's helping to dig causing more issues for them?

Or are you thinking more politically, where capitalism tends to rule?

I just want to be sure you are not blaming secular humanism for the issues created by other areas.

Bluntly put: Now, there live too many people in those African areas that Westerners have helped, more people than local natural resources can support.

It is foolish to try to maintain a population that is bigger than local natural resources can support.

@Signal --

Really? Helping those in need and moving to obliterate bigotry aren't helping to reduce human suffering? Gosh, what could I be thinking? It's a really good thing you're here to fix such a grave error in my reasoning.

You're right though, it's so clear to me now that secular humanism is about the worst possible thing for human suffering, that religion is demonstrably the better choice. It's obvious to me now that being stoned to death for witchcraft, or heresy, or going outside without completely covering your body(as it still to this day in some muslim countries), cause less suffering than malnutrition and overcrowding do.

Bluntly put: Now, there live too many people in those African areas that Westerners have helped, more people than local natural resources can support.
And that means we shouldn't help them?
Or does it just mean that we should be more appropriate in our help, and learn from the impacts that previous efforts have had?
It is foolish to try to maintain a population that is bigger than local natural resources can support.
"Local" is getting wider and wider... and it's questionable whether we should not include the entire planet as "local" - given the interrelatedness of the economies and environments.
The issue is not with the help but possibly with where that help is going to - and this is not an issue with Humanism per se but with lack of sufficient help, lack of expertise, with politics and hidden agendas playing their part and countless other impacts.

There again, we could just allow all of the hungry people of the planet to starve to death (or we could be more "humane"?)... that way we eliminate hunger quite quickly - and surprisingly cheaply. :rolleyes:
(Yes, I am being sarcastic).

@Signal --

Really? Helping those in need and moving to obliterate bigotry aren't helping to reduce human suffering? Gosh, what could I be thinking? It's a really good thing you're here to fix such a grave error in my reasoning.

You're right though, it's so clear to me now that secular humanism is about the worst possible thing for human suffering, that religion is demonstrably the better choice. It's obvious to me now that being stoned to death for witchcraft, or heresy, or going outside without completely covering your body(as it still to this day in some muslim countries), cause less suffering than malnutrition and overcrowding do.

Let's not go crazy and drop the false dichotomies.

And that means we shouldn't help them?
Or does it just mean that we should be more appropriate in our help, and learn from the impacts that previous efforts have had?

Some of the helpers certainly are learning from the negative impact previous attempts to help have had.

"Local" is getting wider and wider... and it's questionable whether we should not include the entire planet as "local" - given the interrelatedness of the economies and environments.

And natural resources are fewer and fewer.

The issue is not with the help but possibly with where that help is going to - and this is not an issue with Humanism per se but with lack of sufficient help, lack of expertise, with politics and hidden agendas playing their part and countless other impacts.

I think it is more about why we want to help, and why we think that our approaches can and should work.

There again, we could just allow all of the hungry people of the planet to starve to death (or we could be more "humane"?)... that way we eliminate hunger quite quickly - and surprisingly cheaply.
(Yes, I am being sarcastic).

The fact is that many of our efforts to end hunger have just postponed the hunger death of many people; postponed it but not eliminated it.

If Western help, due to the Western socio-economic crisis, ceases - and it is quite likely it soon will: what will happen to the millions of hungry Africans who rely for their survival on Western help?

Mmmm... edging pretty close to the "Westerner knows best" mentality here, Signal. Don't fall off the cliff.

What exactly is it about secular humanism that contributes to... what? Overpopulation? Helping others? Valuing every human life?

Are these last two "unwise" to do in certain circumstances?

Last edited:
Mmmm... edging pretty close to the "Westerner knows best" mentality here, Signal. Don't fall off the cliff.

What are you talking about? And with that attitude?

What exactly is it about secular humanism that contributes to... what? Overpopulation? Helping others? Valuing every human life?

Are these last two bad to do in certain circumstances?

Let's not go crazy and drop the false dichotomies - that goes for you too.

Originally Posted by Gandalf

What are you talking about? And with that attitude?

You're about to walk into a trap with your statements which can be used by others to make you appear paternal (or worse) about the population situation in Africa. I think you're onto something in your original idea; don't muck it up by over-generalizations that could offend unintentionally.

Gandalf said:

Are these last two bad to do in certain circumstances?

Signal said:
Let's not go crazy and drop the false dichotomies - that goes for you too.

:facepalm:You love that phrase, don't you. ;)

I'm asking you, honests and for trues, to further explain your position about secular humanism, especially in relation to the three subtopics I mentioned. As I said before, I'm intrigued by your original idea regarding secular humanism, but I hope you unpack it carefully. As a start, I'd love to hear more about your following statement:

Signal said:
The fact is that many of our efforts to end hunger have just postponed the hunger death of many people; postponed it but not eliminated it.

If Western help, due to the Western socio-economic crisis, ceases - and it is quite likely it soon will: what will happen to the millions of hungry Africans who rely for their survival on Western help?

Back