why do some theists believe in Darwinian evolution?

I'm gonna have to agree with Tiassa. It seems by employing the usage of reductio ad absurdum to show the omniscient being is atemporal and non-physical (not in space-time) we can prove that our free will is intact. Since the omniscient being is not in space-time for the omniscient being the universe is neither temporally predetermined nor is being determined nor will be determined. So omniscience then is categorically without physical modality. Here the universe is not relative to the omniscient being spatio-temporally, the omniscient being has no spatio-temporal relativity.

[post=2782923]here[/post]

Lets just say evolution looks completely unplanned from our perspective but that doesn't mean anything when we're talking about omnipotent, omniscient God.

All arguments are meaningless when you postulate an entity can be or do anything. What if God lets evolution happen by accident and then if he doesn't like it he goes back in time and starts again until he's happy? What if God does change genes directly and then erases the memories of scientists when they discover his intervention? What if God invents the creatures first and then creates history to match? What if nothing is real and we are living in a computer program that gets shut off every night?...

All arguments are meaningless only if we employ trivialism. To explain my point the problems that you mention can't happen with omnipotent, omniscient God.

Knowledge91,

“ Originally Posted by jpappl
When ? ”

10-20 years. My guess is 2020.

Oh so you're just talking out your backside. Truth is people like you have been making these claims for thousands of years and things have always been going to sh*t for one reason or another. There is also a lot of good in the world. I would much rather live now than a thousand years ago.

You have this pre-determined idea that there will be this armageddon and so you then look for all of the bad that goes on in the world to try to make it fit into your pre-determined view and then are unhappy when it doesn't happen.

Sad really.

I once knew a guy that was convinced the world was going to end on a certain day and got all giddy when there was a flurry of earthquakes around the world. Man he was such a weak *ss, hoping for the end of the world.

He was feeling pretty pissy the next day when the world and all of us heathens were still there.

Originally Posted by Big Chiller
I'm gonna have to agree with Tiassa. It seems by employing the usage of reductio ad absurdum to show the omniscient being is atemporal and non-physical (not in space-time) we can prove that our free will is intact.
Doesn't work.
If it's not in space-time then it can't interact. And therefore may as well not exist.
Plus, of course, there's the claims that god has, and does, interact.
Can't have it both ways.

Since the omniscient being is not in space-time for the omniscient being the universe is neither temporally predetermined nor is being determined nor will be determined. So omniscience then is categorically without physical modality. Here the universe is not relative to the omniscient being spatio-temporally, the omniscient being has no spatio-temporal relativity.
Word salad is not an effective argument. For anything.

Doesn't work.
If it's not in space-time then it can't interact. And therefore may as well not exist.
Plus, of course, there's the claims that god has, and does, interact.
Can't have it both ways.

Well you need to provide explanation of why God can't interact with those who are in space-time while being categorically non-physical (not in space-time). The interaction isn't physical but that doesn't mean God can't interact with the physical perhaps by communicating somehow not to mention God has absolute power over all physical phenomena.

You have no way of knowing that God has any specific power, it's just a myth. The physical can only react with the physical. Physics 101.

Well you need to provide explanation of why God can't interact with those who are in space-time while being categorically non-physical (not in space-time).
Um, if he's not (at all) in space-time then how does he interact with space-time?

The interaction isn't physical but that doesn't mean God can't interact with the physical perhaps by communicating somehow not to mention God has absolute power over all physical phenomena.
But affecting the physical requires contact with space-time.

Or is this going boil down "It's god. He can do what the f*ck he likes"?

In which case:
spidergoat said:
All arguments are meaningless when you postulate an entity can be or do anything. Etc.

Um, if he's not (at all) in space-time then how does he interact with space-time?

Not physically. God just doesn't need to interact the way we think God does. That's all I can say about that because it's easier to describe what God isn't than what God is.

Not physically.
Nice claim.
But he has, supposedly, done so physically.

God just doesn't need to interact the way we think God does. That's all I can say about that because it's easier to describe what God isn't than what God is.
In other words: It's god. He can do what he wants.

In other words: It's god. He can do what he wants.

If that's all I wanted it to boil down to I wouldn't say God doesn't need to interact the way we think God does i.e. God doesn't physically shake your hand as would a human a human is a human.

Back