Why do people believe in god?

I saw a poll a few years ago that indicated the people that feared death the most were the ones who were religious, not the atheists. food for thought.

KRR

"Why do people believe in God?"

Simple, out of fear.. What causes fear?..Ignorance..

Timendi causa est nescire..

Ignorance is the cause of fear.

You're not afraid of death because you believe in god. Do you believe in a heaven, or any kind of afterlife? Do you believe that upon your death you will be united with God?

how in the hell would i know what happens when i die? i'm not dead. what i do know is what has happened to me while alive, and that's why i believe in god.

"Why do people believe in God?"

Simple, out of fear.. What causes fear?..Ignorance..

Timendi causa est nescire..

Ignorance is the cause of fear.

are you speaking for yourself, or out of ignorance?

how in the hell would i know what happens when i die? i'm not dead. what i do know is what has happened to me while alive, and that's why i believe in god.

The question was 'do you believe in any kind of afterlife'.

I believe in an after-life.
After life, there is death, apparently.

You can only speculate that your conscious existence persists somewhere, but then you need to also speculate that there is a 'place' for this non-corporeal existence.

Fear of death and dissolution is probably mostly responsible for the formation of an equally strong conviction, that you will survive in some way.
And it might be a conscious reaction to the realisation that, realistically, your human life really isn't any more significant than an ant's, as far as planet earth is concerned.

I saw a poll a few years ago that indicated the people that feared death the most were the ones who were religious, not the atheists. food for thought. KRR
Third stanza of Invictus, my favorite poem:

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

I think it true that the religious fear death more than the atheist or agnostics like me.

All four stanza are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invictus

yeah definitely. no offense but, i think you'd have to be kind of an idiot not to.
For what animal forms do you think it exists? At what point in evolution did our more Ape-like ancestors get the entry ticket?

For what animal forms do you think it exists? At what point in evolution did our more Ape-like ancestors get the entry ticket?

what entry ticket? :confused:

i think that everything in the physical is a manifestation of the spiritual and always has been, and always will be.

what entry ticket? :confused:

i think that everything in the physical is a manifestation of the spiritual and always has been, and always will be.
Not a clear answer to either of my questions, but from what you state, I guess you are saying, in answer to my question: "Which life forms have a life after death?", that all life forms have an after life. (puppy dogs, snakes, flies, etc.)

If that is your answer it also answers my second question - all our evolutionary ancestors had an after life. (The fish, their ancestors, all the way back to single celled marine organisms.)

If I have not guessed at your answer correctly, please answer my two original questions, clearly.

"Entry ticket" was my compact way of saying the organism had a second life. I was assuming that some simple ones did not. For example, a few minutes ago I smashed a tiny fly - gave him his "entry ticket" to his after life, if all organisms do have an after-life, life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a clear answer to either of my questions, but from what you state, I guess you are saying, in answer to my question: "Which life forms have a life after death?", that all life forms have an after life. (puppy dogs, snakes, flies, etc.)

If that is your answer it also answers my second question - all our evolutionary ancestors had an after life. (The fish, their ancestors, all the way back to single celled marine organisms.)

If I have not guessed at your answer correctly, please answer my two original questions, clearly.

"Entry ticket" was my compact way of saying the organism had a second life. I was assuming that some simple ones did not. For example, a few minutes ago I smashed a tiny fly - gave him his "entry ticket" to his after life, if all organisms do have an after-life, life.

i really don't know how anyone (who is physically alive) could answer your questions. i don't see any opposition to the idea of reincarnation, and i think that everything that is alive is connected through god.

i've had some spiritual experiences, which suggest to me that there is indeed a spiritual realm, or spiritual plane, or whatever you want to call it. there have been times when the holy spirit has imparted to me in a variety of ways. there was a time when what i believe to be an angel channeled a writing through me. and there have been times when the spirits of human beings interacted with me. that, and what the bible has to say on the matter is what i have to go on. the rest i'll have to wait for...that is, if i die one day.

7777 posts! nice.

yeah definitely. no offense but, i think you'd have to be kind of an idiot not to.

Why? There's no evidence of such.

Of course, believing in some kind of existence after death is certainly a response to a fear of non-existence.

Why? There's no evidence of such.

Of course, believing in some kind of existence after death is certainly a response to a fear of non-existence.

do you live in a cave or under a rock or something? what are you talking about "no evidence of such"? :confused:

listen to me...i have had spirits interact with me. that is evidence, and that is why i believe in such a thing.

do you live in a cave or under a rock or something? what are you talking about "no evidence of such"? :confused:

listen to me...i have had spirits interact with me. that is evidence, and that is why i believe in such a thing.

So your schizophrenia is supposed to be evidence?

Back