Why do atheists hate Jesus?

Atheists hate Jesus because they disagree with his teachings...love your neighbhor like yourself, love your enemies, give freely to all, etc...these things are all nonsense and irrational to atheists....that's why they have defiled themselves with hatred....

You are a rebel only in that you don't like being told what is good and bad.
Again you invent your own reasons for our choices.
It's nothing to do with being told the difference between good and bad, it's the that we are told that there's a big sky daddy who will do wonderful things after we're dead (or whatever) and there's no evidence to support this.

Jesus never rebelled against being told what was good or bad.
And neither (generally) do atheists.

Jesus cited scripture as his teacher on what was good or bad. Jesus rebelled against supposed authorities on what was good or bad, but did not rebel against scripture.
And to an atheist scripture is just one more "supposed authority".
With no more validity than many other supposed authorities.

A robotic human race is a joke. Since when has the human race ever been robotic? Ha! I am in favor of teaching our children right from wrong. I guess I must be nuts?
Where does robotic come into it?
And atheists also teach their children right from wrong - we just don't accept that the only arbiter, or source, of right and wrong is religion.

So, you admit to indoctrinating your children with ideas of right and wrong. You just rebel against the messenger - not the message. So, why do you hate Jesus?

So, you admit to indoctrinating your children with ideas of right and wrong. You just rebel against the messenger - not the message. So, why do you hate Jesus?

Neither: I don't have children.
But there's an in-built sense of morality in humans and a system of (civil) laws.
They also pick stuff up at school and from everyone they meet.
I couldn't comment on how kids are actually given "this is right, this wrong", since I've never raised one.
But I deny that it's all (or even mostly) from religion (since the UK is largely atheist or non-practising - lapsed CofE is probably the most common religion here).
Hate Jesus?
Hate someone who probably never existed?
Not a chance, I just have a healthy disrespect for anyone that won't think for themselves (in any field) and goes along with the party line that has no evidence to back it up.

I didnt read the entire thread, but... is this a joke ?
Atheists deny the existence of Jesus, how can you hate anything that does not exist ???

Atheists deny the existence of Jesus, how can you hate anything that does not exist ???

Atheists deny the existence of any god, not just jesus.

The idea is that atheists hate the idea of Jesus. Aetheists would deny Jesus' divinity, but I doubt most would deny the existence of a historical Jesus.

You are a rebel only in that you don't like being told what is good and bad. Jesus never rebelled against being told what was good or bad. Jesus cited scripture as his teacher on what was good or bad. Jesus rebelled against supposed authorities on what was good or bad, but did not rebel against scripture. A robotic human race is a joke. Since when has the human race ever been robotic? Ha! I am in favor of teaching our children right from wrong. I guess I must be nuts?

Jesus claimed equivalence with God (Matthew 11:27,Matthew 12:28, Luke 11:30, Matthew 23:34; Matthew 24:5, Mark 5:23, Luke 21:8, Mark 9:42; Matthew 28:18, Luke 24:25, 46, Luke 12:8-9; Matthew 26:64, Mark 14:61-4,Mark 12:1-11, Matthew 16:16, Mark 14:27, Matthew 25:17-46, Luke 19:43, Luke 21:14, Luke 22:29, Matthew 9:2, Mark 2:5, Luke 5:20, Matthew 8:21-2, Luke 9:59, Luke 5:22, Luke 9:47, Philippians 2:5-7...to name a few) which was strictly contradictory to what Old Testament (Hebrew Scripture) said (otherwise the religious leaders of the time wouldn't have had a problem with him, shouting "Blasphemer!").

He also on several occasions replaced the scriptures of that time with his new words, i.e. his definitions of what is good and bad. Here are some examples;

"You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,[a] and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." - Matthew 5:21-22.

Another:

"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery." - Matthew 5:31-32

"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." Matthew 5:33-37

A couple more:

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. - Matthew 5:38-42

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. - Matthew 5:43-48

I've emphasized the parts where he says it's his word against the scripture of the day, in case you are having a hard time seeing how wrong you are, even by your own belief system.

Atheists hate Jesus because they disagree with his teachings...love your neighbhor like yourself, love your enemies, give freely to all, etc...these things are all nonsense and irrational to atheists....that's why they have defiled themselves with hatred....

I think they are extremely rational thoughts, ones that I wish more people adhered to. Once again, I am an atheist, and I do not hate Jesus.

I didn't miss the thread about the objective evidence for a historical Jesus. I was the one who started it. Sure, Medicine Woman thought there was no objective evidence. But, what does that prove? That the majority of aethiests don't believe in a historical Jesus? That's just her opinion against many to the contrary.

Well, isn't it just like Jesus to interpret scripture differently than you?

And isn't it just so fortunate that, of all the ways scripture can be interpreted, that you've stumbled across the correct ones while others including countless great minds within your religion have missed them completely?

I didn't miss the thread about the objective evidence for a historical Jesus. I was the one who started it. Sure, Medicine Woman thought there was no objective evidence. But, what does that prove? That the majority of aethiests don't believe in a historical Jesus? That's just her opinion against many to the contrary.

Considering that the thread was over a year ago I doubt you're the one that started it (so maybe yours was the umpteenth...).

I question it, but I think it's likely that Jesus did exist.

No I don't. I agree completely.
Atheists deny the existence of any god, not just jesus.
They don't necessarily deny the (past) existence of Jesus.
The idea is that atheists hate the idea of Jesus. Aetheists would deny Jesus' divinity, but I doubt most would deny the existence of a historical Jesus.
No, they don't hate the idea of Jesus, they don't even necessarily hate religion, they just don't believe it.
I'm not the one interpreting scripture. Jesus is and you are.
Jesus was unable to interpret scripture, because it hadn't been written yet.

Of course scripture was in existence at the time of Jesus. Tell that to the first century Jews and they'd stone you to death.

I didnt read the entire thread, but... is this a joke? Atheists deny the existence of Jesus, how can you hate anything that does not exist ???
M*W: Good point, and welcome to the forum. You're absolutely correct. It's offensive when a christian comes on board and makes a thread stating such garbage. They'll never get it that you can't hate something that doesn't exist, and you're definitely not bitter about it!

Back