Why atheism makes you mean

Abrahamanic religions do not believe we are born in sin. According to Islam we are all born in fitra [having an innate human nature that leans towards belief in God]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitra
According to Islamic theology, human beings are born with an innate knowledge of tawhid, which is encapsulated in the fitra along with intelligence, ihsan and all other attributes that embody what it is to be human. It is for this reason that some muslims prefer to refer to those who embrace Islam as reverts rather than converts, as it is believed they are returning to a pure state.

The perfect embodiment of fitra was Abraham and Muhammad.

Narrated Abu-Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "No child is born except on Al-fitra and then his parents make him Jewish, Christian or Magian (Zoroastrian), as an animal produces a perfect young animal: do you see any part of its body amputated?"
- Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 23, Number 441

I've been to all of those and they are not the same. :)

Have you ever been to a church, or a mosque or temple? Its not a museum or a castle or a cave.

Have you ever been to a church, or a mosque or temple?
Countless.
From many different religions.
They are some of my favorite places to be.

Religion little to nothing to do with it.
Religion inspired people to create beautiful buildings - many of which feel as isolated, separated and secluded as a womb - but it is not religion that makes me feel the way I do when I am there.
People often find comfort and joy in religion, so they exude comfort and joy when they are in their holy places.

It is not religion making me feel the way I do, but the people and the buildings.

Its not a museum or a castle or a cave.
It is all a state of mind.
I can find just as much peace, joy and comfort in these places.

Countless.
From many different religions.
They are some of my favorite places to be.

Religion little to nothing to do with it.
Religion inspired people to create beautiful buildings - many of which feel as isolated, separated and secluded as a womb - but it is not religion that makes me feel the way I do when I am there.
People often find comfort and joy in religion, so they exude comfort and joy when they are in their holy places.

It is not religion making me feel the way I do, but the people and the buildings.

It is all a state of mind.
I can find just as much peace, joy and comfort in these places.

So you find no difference between a cave and a temple? Then you probably live in your mind. :p

I find caves to be cold and unconfortable or hot and dusty, museums are noisy and rigid, castles are drafty, a church or a masjid is a place to be spiritually inclined and is built that way.

Perhaps you have to be religious to appreciate the benefits of religion.

So you find no difference between a cave and a temple? Then you probably live in your mind. :p

I find caves to be cold and unconfortable or hot and dusty, museums are noisy and rigid, castles are drafty, a church or a masjid is a place to be spiritually inclined and is built that way.

Perhaps you have to be religious to appreciate the benefits of religion.

Sounds to me it has nothing to do with religion for you either, as these are all simple, physical traits.
Perhaps you are convoluting religion and house of worship.
Besides, if it has to do with religion, why would you get the same feeling in places of worship for religions you do not believe in?

Sounds to me it has nothing to do with religion for you either, as these are all simple, physical traits.
Perhaps you are convoluting religion and house of worship.
Besides, if it has to do with religion, why would you get the same feeling in places of worship for religions you do not believe in?

Because I believe its all one God. :shrug:

Maybe that's why.

I find joy in churches largely because people find and exude joy in churches.

An interesting study that links prosocial behaviour to religiosity:

We have proposed that the cultural spread of religious prosociality may have promoted stable levels of cooperation in large groups, where reputational and reciprocity incentives are insufficient. If so, then reminders of God may not only reduce cheating, but may also increase generosity toward strangers as much as reminders of secular institutions promoting prosocial behavior. These hypotheses were supported in two anonymous economic game experiments, one with a sample of university students and another with nonstudent adults​

322_58_F2.gif

Thoughts of God, activated without conscious awareness (2), thus caused greater generosity between anonymous strangers. One explanation for this finding is that the imagined presence of a morally concerned supernatural watcher reduced the anonymity of the situation and heightened prosocial reputational concerns, thereby increasing prosocial behavior. Alternatively, it is possible that thoughts of God and thoughts of charity or benevolence are cognitively associated; thus, priming the former concept increased behavioral tendencies consistent with the latter (1). This explanation, however, begs the question as to why God concepts are mentally associated with charity in the first place. These alternative explanations await further experimental investigation.​

Comments??

reference:
1. A. F. Shariff, A. Norenzayan, Psychol. Sci. 18, 803 (2007)
2. J. A. Bargh, T. L. Chartrand, Am. Psychol. 54, 462 (1999)

Contrary to what atheists might have you believe, it seems that god unifies the human social fabric.

What is your experience of religion and charity, O Swami?
let me remind you that this is a science forum and not the medium for discussing such things

:mad::mad::mad:

but to rush in anyway, it offers a greater scope for harmony. Atheism (and even theism under the grip of out of control urges) is simply disharmonious. Disharmony equals conflict.

Last edited:
Back