Why atheism makes you mean

So it's not necessarily prosociality.

Which were? Of the cultures that have failed in history, which ones were religious? Which ones were not?

Rather, that's unfortunate, both for humanity and for your arguments. Long lived unhumanitarian cultures are not particularly prosocial for the people they call their enemies.

Yeah, fortunately, evolution is selective for survival.

So you consider religious influences on society as survival rather than prosociality?

I consider religious influences on prosociality as necessary for survival of society.

That's not the same thing. You a) haven't proven it's religion and not sheer reciprocal altruism and b) haven't made the corresponding leap that religion is good for society.

I humbly await your subsequent evasion.

All you have to do is show me where "sheer reciprocal altruism" minus religion has produced a lasting society.

iceaura
Originally Posted by light
all aspects of marriage, politics and school teaching answer to reason?

No. The institutions do.
really?
:eek:

Human creations for human needs, accountable to humans.
apparently our deepening environmental issues indicate there are greater issues at hand
so its not really a power issue but an issue of what you think is legitimate and substantial to your world view/values

It's an issue of accountability to ordinary human beings.
that's your values speaking
you could drive ideological freight trains through those italics

All the more significant that you can't fit a theistic institutionalized religion through them, then.
that and any other ideology you care to mention, yours included

All you have to do is show me where "sheer reciprocal altruism" minus religion has produced a lasting society.

Noooo. :) Your hypothesis was that religion produced more prosociality and, thereby, stable societies. The onus, I'm afraid, falls on you.

I will await your evidence.

That's an impossible assignment because there have never been enough atheists to band together and form a society. Hopefully by now everyone has been immunized against your fraudulent assertion that communism is an atheist philosophy, since it's an offshoot of Christian ethics and in any case below the leadership caste the ratio of religious people to atheists in communist nations is about the same as anywhere else.

SAM said:
You keep flipping back and forth between atheism and religion, and the result is muddle.

There were several aboriginal atheistic societies in the Americas with lifespans as long as most others as far as appears. The Navajo and similar, the various Inuit and similar, a variety of rain forest tribes, and so forth. (This is under definitions of "Deity" that exclude ghosts, leprechuans, mythical ancestors, etc).

The Song dynasty you referenced earlier included large, long-lasting, stable, atheistic societies.

And of course normal humans have other wishes of their society than merely that it last.

You seem to regard events such as the North Korean devolvement to nascent theistic religion as speaking in favor of theism and its influences. Others have a different take. If atheistic tyranny is what cannot last, that would explain some historic events of breakdown in a way more favorable to atheism than not.
light said:

No. The institutions do.

really?
Yep. You may have noticed, for example, lawyers involved.
light said:

For whom is accountability to others not a value ? You ?
light said:

apparently our deepening environmental issues indicate there are greater issues at hand
How do our "environmental issues" not involve human accountability ?

There were several aboriginal atheistic societies in the Americas with lifespans as long as most others as far as appears. The Navajo and similar, the various Inuit and similar, a variety of rain forest tribes, and so forth. (This is under definitions of "Deity" that exclude ghosts, leprechuans, mythical ancestors, etc).
As a linguist and an atheist I find a definition of "god" that excludes the entire roster of supernatural creatures to be a little specious. At least one respectable source, Princeton University's WordNet, agrees with me and defines "deity" as follows:
any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
A religion is a collection of archetypes, and the particular archetype under discussion here is a supernatural force that can cause the natural universe to behave in violation of the natural laws we have so painstakingly and logically derived. Does it really matter whether that force is a recognizably humanoid creature with a beard and a handful of lightning bolts who derives perverse amusement by the discomfiture his perturbations cause us, or a gigantic winged reptile with minimal consciousness and a propensity to show up just when we need some nearly inscrutable guidance and the psychic reverberations of our need stimulate his metabolism, or just a tempest that occurs at odd intervals in the cosmic weather cycle, destroying the villages of friend and foe with equal likelihood?

If people believe in that force, accept it as supernatural but nonetheless most emphatically real, ascribe mythical powers to it, and worship it, then it's theism and I think that trying to call it something else is not only splitting hairs but it dissipates the focus of the discussion. Where would we draw the line? Religions other than the ones we're most familiar with have deities that are clearly non-human animals (e.g. coyotes or snakes) but nonetheless fill the same role that old man Yahweh fills for the Abrahamists. To arbitrarily dismiss them as non-deities strikes me as more than a little bit Eurocentric.

iceaura

No. The institutions do.

really?

Yep. You may have noticed, for example, lawyers involved.
:roflmao:
maybe that's what religion needs .... more lawyers

For whom is accountability to others not a value ? You ?
You cannot even begin to be accountable unless you begin with values of some sort or other

How do our "environmental issues" not involve human accountability ?
its more to do with your statement of "humans being accountable to humans" is sufficient for all issues. To think that there is nothing else required is a very provincial outlook.

That's an impossible assignment because there have never been enough atheists to band together and form a society. Hopefully by now everyone has been immunized against your fraudulent assertion that communism is an atheist philosophy, since it's an offshoot of Christian ethics
communism is moral ethics applied from darwinism

and in any case below the leadership caste the ratio of religious people to atheists in communist nations is about the same as anywhere else.
-cough

in who's opinion?

light said:
You cannot even begin to be accountable unless you begin with values of some sort or other
Accountability itself is a value. Do you share it?
light said:
maybe that's what religion needs .... more lawyers
We were discussing theism and atheism. Any theism needs to answer to reason before being allowed to govern human affairs.
light said:
its more to do with your statement of "humans being accountable to humans" is sufficient for all issues. To think that there is nothing else required is a very provincial outlook.
I didn't say it was sufficient. I said it was necessary. A minimum.
light said:
communism is moral ethics applied from darwinism
Communism isn't "moral ethics", and it isn't "applied", and it isn't from "Darwinism".
fraggle said:
As a linguist and an atheist I find a definition of "god" that excludes the entire roster of supernatural creatures to be a little specious. At least one respectable source, Princeton University's WordNet, agrees with me and defines "deity" as follows:

any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
That definition agrees with my examples, pretty much - outside of the "any - - personification of a force", which is stretching things IMHO.

Surely you are not going to include the entire roster of what we now call "supernatural" creatures? Or the personified spirits of ships, dead pets, and the deep blue unworshipped sea ?

Noooo. :) Your hypothesis was that religion produced more prosociality and, thereby, stable societies. The onus, I'm afraid, falls on you.

I will await your evidence.

Still waiting on a response to this. Did you overstate your case?

Did you miss the OP? Or the fact that every surviving society to date has been religious?

Yes: and every dead one. :)

Please discuss.

(Actually, there are thriving atheist societies also, but I decided not to mention them because my first sentence would sound better. :D Anyway, let's continue.)

There are no "thriving atheist societies", all societies that have persisted have a religious basis to them. Through marriage, church and law, which all have religion at its base [see origin of laws in all present societies]. Atheists are like epiphytes, who merely parasitise themselves in these established societies and then bitch and moan. All civilisations, through their icons, gods and temples, have been shown to be ones that were institutd by theists.

Atheist societies barely make it through a generation of two and most people are happy to throw them off.

I'm sorry, but that simply isn't so. (Let's not forget the opposition such societies have had from theistic ones.)

And what about the dead ones?

Back