When/ how did you become an atheist?

Personally I'm an agnostic atheist.

I also believe that extremism of whatever kind (including religious ones) is harmful to the human race. I think that religion is a tool to herd the masses and that this tool can be used for harmful as well as beneficial purposes.

Last edited:
A series of dreams have proven to me without a reasonable doubt; that god can not exist because experience itself. Past the conscious, the subconscious, electrical neurons configuring in constant dance there is the "fabric of consciousness" it self that I believe permeates physical matter and energy creating experience. We are all focal points of gods experience that appears to be independant with this fixed state but is simply one out of infinite arrays of localized/nonlocalized wave particle dualities constructed from some fluid-like material trapped within intervals of energy entropy balances that create the illusion of time relative to our brains processing of contigent matter being processed subjectively in a very slow way relative to the unvierse and its own energy entroppy balance eventually burning out.

Or something like that

I disagree with that definition.

I have used the dictionary to inform people what an atheist is. I don't think the guy on that link was attacking that per se, more the people using and the way they were using that info. It IS such a broad term, that can be used in many ways. I just think whoever uses it needs to, and has the right to, frame their own context. Incessantly arguing about its meaning is a waste of time. Just define the meaning you use within your context and get on with it I say :)

I had no trouble believing as a kid because I didn't care whether it was true or not, I did it because it was fun and everyone else was doing it. Plus, Christianity was romantic and sexy to me, suffering saints and whatnot.

From twelve to fourteen I made a serious effort to become a better Christian, and reading the Bible was an integral part to this.

Ironically, the stronger a Christian I tried to become, the harder it was to ignore the holes in the logic.

Reading the Bible, I believe, truly accelerated my realization that I could not force myself to believe in God.

It is easy to go along with something as long as you don't look too closely at it. Now having read a good deal of the Bible (I skipped Psalms- Dear God, that was unbearably boring) I now realize that the majority of Christians have not read very much of it, which explains some of how they are maintaining their faith. It is very, very rare that I meet a Christian who's read any significant part of the Bible.

A couple of things I realized when reading the Bible:

1) (a lot of other people have already mentioned this one) It sounded just like all the other creation myths I read from ancient cultures.

2) The Bible defines love:

1 Corinthians 13

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; [2] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Now we all know that the Bible CONSTANTLY says that God loves people. But for both of these claim to be true, not only could there not be a Hell, but God wouldn't allow bad things to happen to anybody, let alone to good people.

Not to mention the Old Testament God really is a bastard and sends the Israelites into Canaan to take it from the people who were already living there, sometimes 'telling' them to kill everyone (including women, children and animals). Very loving.

3) In 1 Samuel 28, Saul visits a witch who conjures Samuel's spirit for him. Samuel is a holy man and his spirit helps Saul. So where did the witch's power come from? The Devil? How could the Devil conjure a holy man?

4) Observe:

1 Corinthians 7

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.

If it is okay for men and women to marry and have sex, even though it is 'immoral' to have sex- how the motherfucking fuck in hell can the Bible condemn homosexuality? Stupid!!! Stoooooooooooopid!!!!!!! Written by homophobes, is all.

5) God can do anything, they say. But he can't make a triangle out of two sticks without cheating.

6) Judas should be a hero by the Bible's standards because God made him for the purpose of securing Jesus' crucifixion. Everybody knows that Jesus was supposed to be crucified and the whole deal relied on Judas' betrayal. The Bible says:

13 John

26 Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.
27 As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.

"Proof" that God works with Satan.
Not only that, but Jesus just sacrificed Judas' soul for the souls of all other humans.
This makes Judas an even bigger hero than Jesus because Jesus was only crucified and then returned to Heaven. Judas is STILL rotting in the unimaginable torture of Hell. (In Bible logic).

7) And on and on and on and on.

Upon inspection of the other theistic religions of the world I concluded that they are all made up of the same sort of nonsense.

I have used the dictionary to inform people what an atheist is. I don't think the guy on that link was attacking that per se, more the people using and the way they were using that info. It IS such a broad term, that can be used in many ways. I just think whoever uses it needs to, and has the right to, frame their own context. Incessantly arguing about its meaning is a waste of time. Just define the meaning you use within your context and get on with it I say :)

I guess. Being an atheist is just not a defining characteristic in my world.

A gay friend of mine once said: "Being gay is like number 217 thing on my list of characteristica that define me."

I feel kinda the same way about the word atheist. (Jebus I'm setting myself up for some jokes here)

Last edited:
I guess. Being an atheist is just not a defining characteristic in my world.

A gay friend of mine once said: "Being gay is like number 217 thing on my list of characteristica that define me."

I feel kinda the same way about the word atheist. (Jebus I'm setting myself up for some jokes here)

Yep, yep. The fact one is an atheist, or not, is generally only fascinating to a religious type. Not really high on my list.

A series of dreams have proven to me without a reasonable doubt
:roflmao:

Past the conscious, the subconscious, electrical neurons configuring in constant dance there is the "fabric of consciousness" it self that I believe permeates physical matter and energy creating experience. We are all focal points of gods experience that appears to be independant with this fixed state but is simply one out of infinite arrays of localized/nonlocalized wave particle dualities constructed from some fluid-like material trapped within intervals of energy entropy balances that create the illusion of time relative to our brains processing of contigent matter being processed subjectively in a very slow way relative to the unvierse and its own energy entroppy balance eventually burning out.
Or something like that
You're obviously not an omnivorous reader: 'cos all that comes out of you is word salad.

Ok, I am going to answer the thread directly for the first time. I have never believed in god. Never been seduced by the attraction of believing in a god. The peace it could bring with the removal of worry of the next life etc.

I will not say I haven't tried speaking to god. It's something a lot of people have a bash at I'm sure. I have just never been convinced, even more so from a young age.

Even now, at the age of 31, I have never felt the need to fall to the genetic/psychological/sociological attraction/propensity to believe in god, or any combination therein.

I therefore do not believe myself to have ever been a theist (religious person), subject to believing in a god. I have never believed in a god.

So the beginning of my atheism is hard to pin down. Did it start at the beginning of time/infinity? Did it start from the first moment I understood the concept? Or did it start from birth/conception?

I think the truth is it never began. It just is. A default existence.

Last edited:
Tell your story.

For me, I had heard about god and wasn't sure about it. We were Jewish, and I didn't really find any reason to question it until I heard about Santa Claus. I discovered, much to my amazement, that some of my friends did believe in Santa. I would ask the mothers about it, they just said it was a cute thing and not to clue them in that it wasn't real. I think I was about 10. I realized that if people would believe in Santa while the people telling them knew it was a lie, then god must be in the same family of myth.

Well, here's a brief run down of my spiritual/religious history.

I was born into a Christian family, so to speak. My mother, though not specifically Christian, considered herself "spiritual". Due to many fathers throughout my life, I can say that none of them had any effect on my religious views as a child, nor were any of them even religious. My grandmother however, she and I were typically the ones to attend church. Every Sunday I would go to an Episcopalian church. This lasted for 13 years of my life. In my teenage years, and upon having studied Christianity in depth heavily, I decided that Christianity just wasn't for me. About a year after I made this judgement, I happened to wonder into a Buddhist temple. Now, when I say happen, I mean.

I was 16 years old, driving my first car on the way home from school when I saw a beautiful red and gold building off in the distance which I had never noticed before. So, being the inquisitor that I was and still am, I decided to go check it out. At the time of this discovery, I knew virtually nothing of Buddhism other than that it was a religion just like any other. Well, I wondered in and ended up speaking to two monks there. That day I ended up staying in the temple for nearly 4 hours. I was so intrigued by not only their philosophies, but also in the astounding amount of compassion and eagerness to assist that was exhibited by the monks.

When I had asked, "What do you guys believe in?" the first thing that the older monk (both female) had said was, "Do not believe in anything we tell you." Of course, this took my by surprise. But before I could ask for clarification, she furthered by stating, "This is what we believe, but this is not what is necessarily right or wrong. Whatever we tell you, consider it and analyze it, but do not believe in it simply because the words come from our mouths." With this, they had earned my respect. But to summarize, I had become so interested in Buddhism (Mayahana - Tibetan) that I had attended the temple nearly every day for 2 hours per day after school including all day on Saturday. This lasted right at 2 1/2 years until I had left for the Air Force. In that time, I had become an student of Buddhism. My Lama and I had grown very close and we had a unique way of understanding each other, something I have not had since. I can't describe it but I can say that though it wasn't anything paranormal, it certainly was... amazing. Our thought patterns were nearly identical most of the time. It was like she and I could always know what we were thinking, even when we didn't speak; as if she was my sister or mother.

But moving on, I joined the military and maintained my idenity as "non-religious", despite having spent 2+ years learning in a Buddhist temple under the intruction of my Lama. I felt that Buddhism was/is not a religion, but a way of life - or philosophy. Furthermore, I had never taken the vows to become a Buddhist, so I would have felt it a great unjustice if I were to proclaim myself as one. But I continued my practices while in the military and in the past 4 years since my separation. I am now 26 years old and still regard Buddhism very highly and still believe in and practice the traditions. Again, I don't consider it a religion. Most of Buddhism does not dwell in the supernatural, nor do I hold any personal belief that does. Furthermore, all the while practicing Buddhism, I had also continued my studies in other religious world views, such as Hinduism, Taoism, Christianity, Paganism, and others. Over the years, my knowledge on religions has become quite accumulative.

But yet continuing on again...

Of course the God question continued to arise in my own mind. Is there a God? If so, what is God like? So, I studied more, looking for answers. The human aspect of my mind took hold for a short while in the comfort that we in fact were not alone. And thus, I related myself to Deism. A Buddhist Deist... odd. :)

However, as time went on, I realized that it still wasn't a valid answer. I needed more knowledge, more proof and evidence to maintain such a belief. So, I dove head first into science, learning about the universe, life, our world, etc and focused less on the spiritual/religious. The more studied, the more I learned, the more I realized that the complexities that we have in our universe, as hard as they are to conceive sometimes, do infact have natural causes. I realized that there was literally no need for a God, especially not a personal God such as those represented throughout the Abrahamic monotheisms.

So, my arrival at Atheism is based purely from a long, never-ending learning process. I've dedicated the majority of my life trying to answer the questions of "how" and "why". How does that work? Why does this do that? etc. The more I learn about existence, the more I realize that everything that has ever existed has occured naturally through various processes.

But I do not fix myself at Atheism. I would never say that, regardless of what happens, that I will always claim the title of an Atheist. I believe that we are always changing, always learning and always experiencing new things. I also understand that because we change, our beliefs may change as well. However, I don't believe I will ever be a Christian again, nor a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, or any other. I think at most, I may sway from hopeful Agnosticism to stern Atheism. But I do firmly believe that the more one learns about everything in the universe, the more it leads one towards Atheism and against the theology of there being some sort of supreme being that commands and controls (or has in the past) the universe.

Last edited:
One more time.
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

As previously explained: one is a lack of belief, the other is a contrary belief.

Merely repeating your inane (and incorrect) assertion does not make it valid.
Please (for the N[sup]th[/sup] time of asking) support this contention.

Actually this is making me realize that a belief cannot be lacked it can only be contradicted. It seems to be an atheist means to borrow a concept and not believe in the existence of that concept.

Last edited:
My parents were not very religious, and me and my siblings were brought up in the typical working class British way - church was somewhere you went for baptisms, funerals and marriages, Easter was for easter eggs and Christmas was for presents, Christmas dinner, pretty lights, decorations, and family.

My dad was from a Catholic family, and he was brought up as a Catholic, went to a Catholic school and was even a choirboy (my home city, Preston, is often seen as one of the most Catholic cities in England), but he is very much secular, considering Catholicism to be too rigid.

My mother was from an Anglican family (Anglicanism is probably the closest a Protestant denomination can get to Catholicism, and I tend to see it as Diet Catholicism), but was not brought up in a religious manner. Part of my mother's family is Methodist.

My siblings and I were baptised as Anglicans, although none of us are religious, and one of my brothers and myself consider ourselves to be atheist.

When I was in my mid-teens, I started to explore other religions - it was also at this time that I became more interested in politics, and the more I became interested in politics, the further left I travelled - such as (the first two are often seen more as philosophies than true religions) Buddhism, Taoism, Bahaism and various forms of paganism. Not being satisfied with any of them (Bahaism has some very good, progressive messages, but I could never do all that praying. Buddhism is a good philosophy that I believe everyone should learn about as it does have some life lessons worth considering, as does Taoism. The pagan religions were fine, but seemed a little too fake), I began to look at atheism. Although never truly religious (I did, however, once try and read the Bible in it's entirety, which is a good way of becoming an atheist), I did have some belief in a god - not necessarily the Abrahamic God of Christianity, Judaism or Islam - but I didn't adhere to any belief system.

My personal belief in regards to gods is that there is most likely no god/s, goddess/es or a pantheon of deities and, if they turn out to exist, they will not resemble any deity that humans believe in.

(I did, however, once try and read the Bible in it's entirety, which is a good way of becoming an atheist).

I think you were probably 90% there already and you were feeling a little guilty about feeling the way you did without having read the Bible yet. My question is how far did you get, before you realized, this is not helping me believe in God?:D

I think you were probably 90% there already and you were feeling a little guilty about feeling the way you did without having read the Bible yet. My question is how far did you get, before you realized, this is not helping me believe in God?:D

I can't remember to be honest, but I don't think I made it out of the Old Testament.

Back