What would you do?

I'm not an officer of the law. I will not stop my partner taking a candy bar.

one_raven said:
But isn't it the job of the police to help protect us from people making such illegal decisions?

It certainly is and hence I wouldn't do it if there is a risk to be caught. I certainly wouldn't do it if Baron Max was my partner because I know he would jump at the opportunity to rat my ass out. I on the other hand wouldn't do that to someone who I would call my partner. I assume we were in the store for a legal purpose. A candybar isn't more important than a human being.

spuriousmonkey said:
Oh dear baron,

why did you not question the post by JB suggesting I might be a negro...why oh why? Surely you knew unquestionably that my legs are like two milk bottles and my cranial capacity just average. Who else could I be but white? But yet you doubt your fellow being of colour and not the motives behind the aggrevating assault on my colour coding. You know dam well that I really want to be a negro, but luck was against me. My mother a red head, my father half arian. Oh, why was our Lord so cruel.
But let me assure you that I will not hold it against you if you take all my posts as a joke. I gladly return the favour

Your humble white servant,

Spuriousmonkey

ps
I would still take a case of beer if I could get away with it, despite being white.
I said "Negro thoughts" not Negro looks.

superluminal said:
What would I do?

I would grab the candy bar from my partner and freeze it. I would seek out this J.B. fellow by tracking his IP to his provider. As a cop, I would order the provider to give me J.B's personal information. I would bring the frozen candy bar with me to J.B's place of residence. At this point I would handcuff his sub-moron level, racist ass to the front porch railing, and shove the frozen candy bar deep into his colon (using an appropriate tamping rod of course).

Big fun!
Homosexual thoughts.

My thing with stealing from a store is that the store workers may get into trouble. Candy might not be anything significant, but if you're stealing something costly there's a good chance the store workers will get into trouble.

If your willing to stand by and do nothing as a officer of the law commits a theft in front of you.

Then you are clearly a weak link in the human race.

spuriousmonkey said:
I fail to see the 'clearly' part.
Yes you would "fail to see the 'clearly' part".

That is because you are clearly "a weak link in the human race".

Most cops are somewhat corrupt already. If I reported my fellow cop, they would all come down on me and make my life miserable, so no, I wouldn't report it. Anyway, there are worse crimes occurring out there, stealing a candybar is really trivial, unless it was a child who did it. In that case, you have to nip such impulses in the bud, and give the kid a scare.

Many people do give cops freebies to gain favor. Probably the cop has a relationship with the store owner (or blackmailing them) so it's understood he can take a candybar here and there.

J.B said:
Yes you would "fail to see the 'clearly' part".

That is because you are clearly "a weak link in the human race".

I see you don't know yourself what clearly is since you clearly can't explain it.

spidergoat said:
Many people do give cops freebies to gain favor. Probably the cop has a relationship with the store owner (or blackmailing them) so it's understood he can take a candybar here and there.

No. Although it's true that many people give cops freebies, the vast majority of the time it's not for the reasons you state. It's not because they have a relationship with the store owner or because they are being blackmailed.

The store owners view it as an opportunity to gain some extra security. Think about it. Most of the places that cops get freebies are C-stores, simply because those are the places that are open during the wee hours of the morning.

The store owner or all night resturant gives cops free coffee, pop, and or discount on other items. Cops talk and word gets around that the Kwik Trip down the street provides free pop and coffee or the Perkins gives a 10% discount. That's where the cop is going to go to take thier breaks and such.

You think robbers are real keen on the idea of robbing a C-store or resturant that has 3 or 4 cops in it? It's a cheap price for the C-store owner to pay for some extra security, as well as letting the officers know that they are appreciated.

This is not blackmail because no one is making the owners provide these freebies. And its not like the cops will purposely respond slower to anything at that store if they didn't get the freebies. It's just a way to reduce the chances of being robbed.

Any questions?

-Kooter

you implied in your op that the store was closed.

in your last post you implied that the store is open
i can see where you are coming from, but it is assumed that the "freebies"
are given during store hours

that doesn't mean you can go into the store when it is closed and help yourself.

Leo....good point

My original post was when the store was closed. Yes.

The post I was replying to when I said it's not blackmail, I was talking about when the stores were open. I thought Spidergoat was referring to stores that are open. If he wasn't, then oops!

Any other questions?

-Kooter

The chance to get extra security IS the kind of relationship I was talking about. Of course, the cops can't do this in broad daylight, that would be bad PR, I was thinking of after hours.

LOL, it's OKAY to steal from a large corporation, because we all know that laws regarding theft don't apply to them, right?

Anyone who thinks that theft is justified in this instance needs to be weeded out of society. "It's only a candy bar" is demented thinking, and ignores that fact that perhaps lots of people think that way. Instead of one candy bar going missing, lots do. As a result, stores need to increase their prices to make up for their losses due to shoplifting.

Lets see if I got it right:
1] Both are officers with a sticker on their foreheads that reads integrity.
2] One officer decides to compromise the other officers integrity, so that the sticker on their foreheads reads "integrity sometimes" or "integrity when I feel like it"
3] The corrupting officer obviously thinks very little about his partners desire to stay in the job.

Solution:
The compromised partner needs to discuss the issue with his superior immediately or as soon as reasonably possible so as to pass the buck of decision making onto that superior.....thus disolving himself of any further responsibility.

There is no doubt that the problem is not so much with the corrupt action of the perp' but how that other officer protects himself from such corruption and being tainted with the same brush by default of proximity.
The corrupting officer is not acting in the best interests of himself or the partner thus I would ask for another partner citing reasons due to his lack of concern as a partner for his partners well being. In other words if you can't trust your partner get another one.

I'm not. I'm taking candy bars for free remember.
I'm not talking about the candy bars, idiot. I'm talking about numerous other things you've purchased from large corporations, including your PC. Do you use Windows? What about Microsoft Word? Who do you pay your phone bills to? What brand of food do you buy?

Back