What would make Christianity more tolerable...to you?

Yes it is...in terms of its content, but its style is of the Gospels.

To find out what he thought of Jesus and Christianity directly one must read 'The AntiChrist'.

His sister points out in his biography that his central critique was of Paul, not Jesus especially.

This IS a good point, he did give Jesus a thumbs up, basically. Paul and his Jewish ballast a big thumbs down.

It could stop being so anti-life. It would be more tolerable to me if it did not require people to abstain from sex until marriage, and did not turn normal human urges into an obscenity.

It coudl also reject inequality in all its forms, including misogyny and homophobia.

Without a concept of sin there would be no concept of virtue either...two sides of a coin.

Not true. It is quite possible to imagine virtuous behavior without beliving in sin. That which exceeds the norm is virtuous.

It could also reject inequality in all its forms, including misogyny and homophobia.
I dont believe Jesus himself expressed any particular prejudice against women or homosexuals. His ministry was supported by several women, who tagged along without saying much. He was however against both divorce and adultery.

The ancient Hebrews were keen on polygamy, but I dont know what Jesus thought of such things. He appears to have favoured celibacy himself.

To remove all inequality would be to remove heaven and hell, good and evil, and thereby the foundation of religion itself.

I thought the question was "what would make it more tolerable to me", not the people who lived under Charlamagne's rule or the time of the early founders.
Yes, but some posts are recommending minor tweaks to the religion - which has been going on continuously since the get go, and some are recommending changes which would destroy its foundations altogether.

i reckon christianity would be better with less kiddy fuckers...
Arent you really referring to Catholicism...where the priests arent allowed to lie with women?

One doesnt hear about such things in Protestantism to the same extent.

I have it - one not so big, but extremely powerful change:

Regardless of whether youre a believer or not, what would you change about Christianity that would make it more tolerable to gaze upon???

That Christians would stop trying to explain and justify their doctrines. That they would simply treat them as dogmas - what they are meant to be anyway.

It is their attempts to explain and justify their doctrines that are so troubling and misleading.

That Christians would stop trying to explain and justify their doctrines. That they would simply treat them as dogmas - what they are meant to be anyway.

It is their attempts to explain and justify their doctrines that are so troubling and misleading.
What do you see as the difference between a doctrine and a dogma.

Have you seen the bumper sticker...'My karma ran over my dogma!'

What do you see as the difference between a doctrine and a dogma.

I used "doctrine" there generally - as 'that which is being taught', a 'body of teachings'.
By "dogma" I mean something which is to be taken "as is", not to be disputed with, justified or explained; axioms that are to be accepted in an apriori manner.

So for example, if Christians would stick to "God exists" as a dogma, and not reach for more or less indirect archaeological and other scientific proofs (like that there was a historical person called Jesus who was crucified; that a catastrophic flood occured etc.) to show that the statement "God exists" is in fact true, everything would be so much easier.

But when they call upon those supporting proofs, the statement "God exists" (and with it the relevance of Christian faith) will stand only as long as those proofs. And we all know how disputable archaeological proofs are.

Supporting their claims this way makes it very difficult to take Christianity seriously or to use it as a guideline in one's life.

Have you seen the bumper sticker...'My karma ran over my dogma!'

Yes, I have.

Besides the basic premise, I think the Catholic Church showed promise when they acknowledged evolution. They are always a little behind the times, but the fact that they can update their interpretation to fit revealed scientific truth is a positive development.

Back