What is your belief regarding the existence of "God"?

What is your position regarding the existence of "God"?

• God exists and created the universe through the laws of nature.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • God exists, and created the universe/world in seven 24-hours periods.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • God doesn't exist, the idea was invented by man to address the unknown.

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • I don't know, and choose not to posit a belief.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
My point was that if "God" is real to so many, in so many varients is there a one god or many,or none.

In as far as god appearing and giving me a message to relay, not going to happen. Say NO to drugs!

Yes "Chinese whispers" wow must be a long line and, one concept that religions could not live without.

My point was that if "God" is real to so many, in so many varients is there a one god or many,or none.
that is a good question i can only put forth my opinion..
In as far as god appearing and giving me a message to relay, not going to happen. Say NO to drugs!
chicken...lol
the question was not about the possibility..it was about whether anyone would believe you.

Someone would undoubfully and so it would grow until A new religoun started.:D

lol..i would say no..there have been several attempts to do just that here on sciforums..here is the results..

atheist converted to theism....0
theist converted to atheism....0

( ive been wanting to post that for awhile..lol)

SolusCado,

Do you believe in evolution ?

Of course. That's like asking if I believe is electricity. And before you try to parade THAT tired argument out, try reading Genesis 1 with a little less skepticism:

The land called "Earth" (the only instance of Earth capitalized in the KJV FWIW) isn't created until verse 10, which indicates the "heaven and the earth" referenced in verse 1 is referring to something else. Knowing that, and recognizing that the men who initially wrote this down (or passed on the stories verbally for that matter) also knew nothing of physics, cosmology, or matter in general, and that any divine message would necessarily be restricted to their knowledge at the time, one must acknowledge that whatever is being described here needs fresh translation to be understood in the context of modern science. (To judge its spiritual accuracy based on primitive man's lack of scientific knowledge is just plain ridiculous.)

Anyway, taking that into account, try re-reading the first chapter with the following updated language:

1 In the beginning God created the space and energy.

2 And the energy was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the universe.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and fusion was sparked.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first epoch.

6 And God said, Let there be matter in the midst of the universe, and let it divide the one kind of energy from the others.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the energies (think electromagnetic, strong/weak, and gravity) which were under the firmament from the energies which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament empty space. And the evening and the morning were the second epoch.

9 And God said, Let the energy under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry matter appear: and it was so.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third epoch.

(And so on and so forth. From there on out, continuing with the term "epoch" you see the flow of evolution just as we understand it today.)

Not sure I follow your line of thought here. Atheists claim there is no God, and there isn't any proof or even valid evidence of one. Furthermore, Christians say there cannot be any proof, and that belief in the absence of evidence is a virtue. In no other area of life do we value such a proposition.

The line of thought is that there isn't any proof or even valid evidence that there isn't one either. Agnosticism would seem to be the only appropriate claim for those who refuse to believe anything without proof or evidence.

I'm not certain I agree with you though that religion is the only area of life where belief in the absence of evidence is a virtue. "Learning from other's mistakes" is considered a virtue; to trust in the wisdom of "our elders", particularly in the case of children obeying their parents, is a virtue. These are examples where it is considered good to understand that those that came before you may have already learned lessons and know things that you don't have to learn the hard way. You can believe that these people know better because they've been down the hard road, and it is considered wisdom and maturity to not have to question each and every lesson.

SolusCado,

Here is the bottom line on this part. We have evidence that primitive socieites had varying ideas of god(s) and they trypically were based on that which was around them, the types of animals etc

We have no evidence that there was a singular idea that started it all, as opposed to starting wherever man was.

So the burden is on you to prove the claim that it all started with one concept and that it changed. The evidence shows that it was each to it's own.

Actually, there is no burden of evidence on me at all, as I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, or prove anything to anyone. I believe this started with you attempting to force me to contradict myself, which you have not yet done.

In your mind

I believe you are confusing faith in something with the genesis of something. I did not invent the idea, so it is not I that "created God".

First choose

Well, I was certainly brought up in an environment that taught the existence of God, but I didn't truly believe until one day, during prayer, and I suddenly had an epiphany (I believe it was God speaking to me), where I immediately had all fears and anxieties disappear (and for good - I have felt neither in the roughly twenty years since), and one verse in particular stood out for me (regarding everything happening according to the will of God) as something that affected everything around me. Since then, virtually everything I have ever experienced in life seems perfectly described by Biblical scriptures and teachings, and even the more I learn in other disciplines (such as evolutionary psychology, cosmology, astrophysics, etc.), the more I find these things to be true.

No imagination. Most kids create all sorts of monsters in their minds. I used to be scared of this really tall black stick like creature I was sure existed in our back yard, only at night of course.

:) Ha! No one has ever accused me of having no imagination. I obviously don't know you, but there are a whole lot of people I have watched for many years, and I have yet to see a truly original idea. To quote Isaac Newton, "If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants" ... Every idea in the history of mankind (speculative hyperbole, I realize) is in itself rooted in something else. I suspect there was at least one or two other factors in the stick-like creature you were sure existed.

If god exists outside of the universe and is supernatural, why does the workings of the universe matter ?

Matter? To what or whom?

We can, please explain.
Well, first you must understand that knowledge in this respect is effectively knowledge of an idea. We can "know" what red is by the descriptions given by others. Through comparisons to the real world, etc. ("A sunset is red"; "An apple is red"; etc. These statements help us better know what "red" is.) Likewise, the definition of who and what God is, according to any particular theology, is something that can be better understood by studying said theology. When said theology makes statements about how God interacts with people and the rest of the world, experiencing these things firsthand (just like seeing a sunset or apple) helps us to better "know God".[/QUOTE]

Well since you are claiming a belief in god then you are claiming to know that god created the universe, otherwise you don't know what you believe.

See above. I know what I believe because I understand the idea that is the core of my beliefs. I also recognize that I don't know for a fact these things to be true. I in fact "believe" them. Honestly, the statement that claiming belief in a god is claiming to know that god created the universe is absolutely ridiculous. The sentence structure alone fails logical analysis. It would be like saying that because I believe x is greater than y, then I am claiming to know x = 6. The statement makes absolutely zero sense.

Why doesn't it make sense ? Didn't christians believe that god was sitting in the clouds within our atmostphere at one point. Seriously, you guys just keep moving the goal posts to keep up with science.

I refer you back to my last post, and to something I have said many times before, and something that SHOULD be clear to anyone. If one believes God created "everything", then as that "everything" is further defined, our understanding of what God created is further defined. It was ALWAYS understood that God "resided beyond" His creation. We just didn't know what all that creation entailed. As scientific discovery has expanded that knowledge, so too has our understanding of where "God resides" further expanded.

Explain to me why spacetime is important to whether or not we have freewill.

Honestly, it took more than someone writing a post in a thread for me to fully understand it, so I don't think I can properly educate you on the matter myself. I will however try to do so in very simple terms.

If free will is the ability to exercise choice over your actions,
And this choice is based on an action to be taken,
Then the choice can only be made prior to the action.
If the universe exists in a timeless state,
Then your actions have already been made,
And any choice cannot be made prior to any action.

If free will is the ability to exercise a choice prior to an action,
But spacetime is such that choices cannot be made prior to actions,
Then spacetime makes the timeline of choice/action to be moot.

This of course applies to the vantage point of God, who sees all of spacetime. It does not however apply to our vantage point, since we do in fact experience space/time. Thus, it is possible for us to make a choice prior to an action, but from an external vantage point the flow of a choice being made prior to an action is non-applicable.

The question is what difference does god make. If we don't need him for the universe to continue on it's way.

I never said that His existence did make a difference, so I certainly can't answer your question. While we're at it, don't bother asking me how pigs fly or hell freezes over. I won't have answers for those questions either.

You don't have an answer do you ?

Yes enlighten me. And explain how god can interact with us and why the need since according to you all was in place beforehand, oh and he exists outside of the universe and the universe maintains it's laws.

This should be good.

I tried in my comment above. If you still don't get it, I encourage you to read up on the subject separately from this thread.

Fair enough

Which is what I have been trying to explain. Without the evidence, why believe, why put a god in there when none is needed.

See above for my reasons as to why I do believe in not just a God, but Christianity in particular. My belief in God doesn't hinder my ability to gain knowledge in other areas, since I continue to refine my understanding of God as my knowledge of the boundaries of space and time are themselves changed. I didn't invent the idea of God, so I cannot address the notion of "putting a god in there where none is needed"; I can only explain how the current ideas fit quite nicely into everything else I see and understand about the world around me.

Why try to explain the unexplainable. Why support a notion that is not supportable.

The ability to support the notion that the Earth was round before we had ships that could navigate around the globe was nonexistent, until someone decided to try. Call it an imagination, call it insatiable curiosity, call it the human condition - call it "the way God made me" :). I try to explain the unexplainable because that's what makes life interesting. As I said above, I don't see how the notion that there is no God is any more or less supportable than the notion that there is. And sitting on the fence waiting for someone to prove something that cannot be proven hinders my ability to explore.

Any claim that it is will be met with prove it and you won't be able to.

That doesn't bother me. And thank goodness, it didn't bother those in the worlds of science upon whose shoulders Newton stood.

Look, I am sure you are a decent, nice and reasonable person, if you knew me you would know that I am as well. I am not questioning you because you believe, I am questioning the belief.

I want to be sure to point that out. I am not being judgemental about you as a person. I respect your opinions etc. I am trying to raise questions that challenge your positions.

The key is not to find that which supports, because in many cases that is easy, the key is to face that which contradicts and deal with it. That is the reality.

I appreciate your sentiment, and frankly, I share the desire. The difference is that I continue to refine my beliefs if and/or when contradictions arise, rather than simply abandom them.

I believe God exists as an Idea.
An unproven idea.
I would LOVE for a divine being to come to me, to speak to me, to reveal herself to me, but this has yet to happen.
I can not disprove a god in any logic other than saying, that which is proven with no evidence needs not evidence to disprove it.
But I believe this is a horrible way to disprove something just as it is a horrible way to prove something.

My beliefs are closely tied to Buddhism and I see life as eternal.
I do not however see human beings as eternal.
When human beings stop working for life, life will exterminate us.
As life has always done.
But I do not stress this, you can not change reality.
There is no such thing as a good day, or a bad day. There is just a day.
It's all an illusion that we paint for ourselves.
It is what it is.

I'm curious - why the "her" pronoun when referring to a divine being speaking to you?

all your responses indicate denial. you contradict your own professed beliefs many times too. one obvious example is the 'love of god and fellow man'. obviously, that is not true for everyone so either god or the laws of nature are faulty or people are not following these so-called advice to best deal with the universe.

What is not true for everyone? Are you telling me that I don't have love for my fellow man, or that not everyone follows such beliefs? If you are claiming the former I would simply argue that you don't know me, and to the latter - um, duh! How is that a contradiction of my beliefs?

if is obvious that if something is in opposition to you, then you have to deal with it. so it's ludicrous for you to even state that somehow anyone admitting they dislike or disapprove of something is not understandable. christians have a problem with the devil and isn't the devil part of god's creation according to your christian beliefs? obviously christians also are not saying everything is hunky dory with their god's creation.

A lot of Christians don't follow the Christian theology as laid out in scriptures, but rather the doctrines created outside the Biblical scriptures and taught by their churches. You cannot claim I am contradicting myself or that I believe in contradictions by telling me what other people believe.

besides what is so crazy is the idea that a creator does not care what we think but we are supposed to behave in a way that brings peace and prosperity etc for 'god'. for it's posterity? realistically, it is for us. so the truth is what we think is important to us, god or not. all actions and thoughts are for us.

do you not understand that your logic is full of denial and evasive here?

"We are supposed to behave in a way that brings peace and prosperity etc for 'god'"? What are you talking about here? As I just said, you cannot use the beliefs of others to deny my position. I never said that. What logic have I presented that is evasive or full of denial?

this was your first statement. it is absurd for anyone to expect to care about a 'god' as an entity and to love it if it does not care what you think. if something does not care what you think, then there is no personal reason to give a crap about it either.

People seem to care about their dogs all the time and the dogs don't care. As for God, the idea within Christianity is that loving God is for YOUR benefit, not His. More to the point, and drawing on the teachings of Christ and the NT in particular, it is love and respect for your fellow man in general that brings us "closer to God". As far as our Universe is concerned, God is a force of nature. A tornado doesn't care if you take shelter in the basement or not, but if you don't, you can bet you are putting yourself in far more danger than if you do. And you can huff and haw all night long about how it is just windy outside and there is no such thing as a tornado, but hell - I'd rather just take the weatherman's word for it and take shelter.

so you absurdly expect people to deny their feelings and observations and go 'oh yeah, it's fine with me and i like it all' because 'god' is the creator. it doesn't make any logical sense. if it didn't want me to have an opinion, it shouldn't have given us the capability to have one.

I don't expect anyone to do anything. My comments in this thread have been responses about why I believe what I believe. I haven't tried swaying anyone's belief to or from anything. That said, this statement shows a clear lack of understanding of the nature of God's creation. The beauty in His creation arises from the conflict. Someone rising above their condition is far more impressive than perpetual peace in the garden of Eden.

technically, why your concept of god or the universe is contradictory to your professed moral beliefs is because you put the responsibility on this god for the entire creation of the universe and everything in it.

What exactly does that contradict?

even not all theists actually believe this, that is why they separate what is the devil from god just as people pick out what they value and what they do not. they distinguish. it would be dishonest of them to not since people do not value it all or even the structure of nature. for instance, many people view life as a common struggle that we all share against the evil that exists in ourselves and in others as well as inherent in nature. it is something that has to be dealt with, not necessarily that is liked. in that vein, it is more logical.

Again, your statements reflect the beliefs of others, not anything I have said. Actually, reading up on the history of "the devil" in Hebrew, and the original scriptures from the Torah, reveals the likelihood that "the devil" is simply the literary personification of tempation. It is something that exists in every one of us as an aspect of our psyche, of reality. The Bible does in fact say that God created evil. The notion that God is some heavenly, cloud-floating genie that exists to make everyone happy and blissful is not Biblically supported.

but if you claim that god is responsible for all of it and are surprised by any criticism, that doesn't make much sense.

I am not surprised by criticism; I just recognize the error in such positions. You (and so many others like you) only understand Christianity in the context of those who have spent more time listening to and following others than in reading and studying for themselves. As such, your knowledge would be even further removed from what anyone could hope to know as the "truth" to Christianity. All of your arguments against Christianity are thus arguments against the warped versions that exist out there. The resultant cynicism then hinders your ability to better understand Christianity.

birch..

i understand some of the arguments against religion and god..

i have only lightly followed your discussion here, but i still need to ask..

are you stereotyping?
do you argue with what he is actually saying or are you adding your perception of what a christian should be like to your argument with solus?

too many times here i have seen the great debate and both sides tend to stereotype the other..they tend to throw in terms like "you beleive" when it hasn't been stated by the other party that they believe that..

yes,popular indoctrination does state that a christian has to be 'this way', but that does not mean that all Christians 'are' that way..
i tend to be a realist.i do not believe in perfection, indoctrination says we have to be perfect..i think that is an unrealistic expectation and contrary to what the truth is..

Thank you; you have more eloquently stated what I have been trying to say all morning. :)

Let me see if I have this right... People believe in a god that there is no proof of so that they can obtain a good spot in an afterlife that there is no evidence of.

Let me know how that works out for ya.

That isn't it at all. Well, at least not for me. As NMSquirrel has pointed out, not everyone believes the same thing and I can really only speak for me and my interpretations of Biblical Scriptures. I believe that the teachings of Christ and The Bible in general provide a reference and source of knowledge that heightens my connection with "God", which in turn enlightens my soul in such a way that brings about peace, contentment, and a general "oneness" with the universe. Frankly, it isn't too far removed from Buddhist teachings - which many have compared to the teachings of Christ anyway.

And for the last 10-15 years, it has been working out quite nicely.

I am confused if I am an atheist is it that I don't believe in: Allah, Geb, Buddha, Hari, Jehova, Ra the sun God, Mazda, Apollo, Hera, Aken, Ba-Pef, Minerva, Kami-no-Michi, Atea, Zoroaster..........................

This would assume that, since most of these gods condone often fundamentallydifferent philosophies and only one is the true god. That would mean that the majority of the planets population (The remaining religions) were deluded.

Following logic, we could assume that if the majority of the population is deluded, they probably all are.

My poll deliberately did not name "God". You are an atheist if you believe there is no Spiritual Entity that is resonsible for the creation of the Universe (or perhaps one or more aspects of it).

Yes "Chinese whispers" wow must be a long line and, one concept that religions could not live without.

The very idea of restricting an entity that exists outside our four dimensions of reality (which is where we get the very notion of numbers and 1, 2, or more) to a dimensional aspect such as count is an attempt to apply descriptors that are probably not even applicable. Just like calling God "He" or "She".

lol..i would say no..there have been several attempts to do just that here on sciforums..here is the results..

Atheist converted to theism....0

... :d

Last edited:
Of course. That's like asking if I believe is electricity. And before you try to parade THAT tired argument out, try reading Genesis 1 with a little less skepticism:
Honestly, I think Genesis is full of excellent analogies if one reads it with a liberal interpretation. My problem with it boils down to the stated reasons why Jesus was required to be sacrificed.

If there was no literal fall from grace in the Graden of Eden, then there is no need for reconcilliation. And I think most of us accept that the Adam and Eve story is a myth... it didn't really happen.

Honestly, I think Genesis is full of excellent analogies if one reads it with a liberal interpretation. My problem with it boils down to the stated reasons why Jesus was required to be sacrificed.

If there was no literal fall from grace in the Graden of Eden, then there is no need for reconcilliation. And I think most of us accept that the Adam and Eve story is a myth... it didn't really happen.

Continuing in the thread of analogies (or rather, as I prefer to put it, limited language), I believe the Adam and Eve story isn't a complete myth, but instead refers to the first moment of "divine inspiration" - something that was probably a genetic switch that fundamentally gave homo sapien the capability to recognize God in the world around him - to be able to commune with God. I suspect Adam, and the other names that lived several hundred years are actually referring to familial lines rather than individuals, and the "fall from Grace" was again a genetic evolutionary aspect of mankind. Namely, that with the development of a sense of morality as a concept, man became aware of the difference between "natural urges" and a sense of perfection that transcends the natural. It isn't that man somehow "fell", but rather became aware of his own nature, and recognized a need for something more than the default, so to speak. With this evolutionary development, "Adam and all his sons" - i.e. the evolutionary chain stemming from that genetic line, all of these people shared the capability to recognize their human nature - their "sinful nature". It was in turn this recognition that led to the genetic traits that make guilt possible and thus represented the injection of guilt - and the need for reconciliation - into the gene pool.

It is further my belief that the coming of Christ represented another milestone in the evolution of Homo Sapien whereby we became capable as a species to absolve ourselves of guilt through internal (i.e. direct with God) mechanisms, rather than a need to make a sacrifice. This is why today so many people are in fact capable of saying "what's the difference" between a universe with no God and one with. We are now capable in ways we weren't before to rid ourselves of the psychological poison of guilt without a sacrifice made at a temple.

Holy shit! SolusCado, you need to allow people to post a little bit in between, don’t you think?
I believe the Adam and Eve story isn't a complete myth, but instead refers to the first moment of "divine inspiration" - something that was probably a genetic switch that fundamentally gave homo sapien the capability to recognize God in the world around him - to be able to commune with God.

This is a little beyond uninformed…:crazy:

atheist converted to theism....0

Yes, but what are the stats on those wishy-washy agnostics?
Agnostic.jpg

Last edited:
Holy shit! SolusCado, you need to allow people to post a little bit in between, don’t you think?

:) Sorry, was just catching up from the weekend!

This is a little beyond uninformed…:crazy:

easy there turbo..

Yeah, how can you go about calling my beliefs "uninformed"? Uninformed in respect to what? As for crazy... it makes sense to me - rather than just calling it uninformed and crazy, do you care to explain what you see wrong in the idea?

Back