What is the probability that God exists?

What is your estimate of the probability that God exists?

• Zero (0%)

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • 1-10%

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • 11-20%

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 21-30%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-40%

• 41-50%

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 51-60%

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 61-70%

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 71-80%

• 81-90%

• 91-99%

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Certain (100%)

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters
Fluid,

But, if God is everything, your pointless point is null and void, and the set of reality you have defined, is zero.
If God is everything then we can safely dispense with the term God and lose nothing and still have everything. In your scenario the concept of God is truly null, void, and redundant.

Spears,

The possiblities are endless. Someone somewhere might look at a floating log and say "Look it's God!"

I am sure that someone's God exists.
I think it reasonable to assume that people would at least assume the dictionary definition where a god has properties beyond nature. It is that distinction that makes the idea of a god so different to anything else.

Originally posted by Cris
young,

LOL.

Firstly we were not discussing possibilities but probabilities. The criterion for establishing a possibility is quite a different debate.

See my original post, but it's like this - Given an infinite number of ideas with only a comparatively miniscule finite subset mapping to real entities then the probability of randomly selecting an idea from the entire set that matches a real entity is mathematically zero, i.e. 1/infinity.

The idea that there is no God can never map to an entity, since the complete finite set of real entities does not include anything that is absent. I.e. the concept of selecting nothing from a set is a null and redundant choice.

To consider the absence of something rather than the existence then simply take the inverse of 1/infinity and the result will be a 100% probability that god does not exist.

I just hope no real mathematicians show up any time soon.
:(

My mistake. I know how probabilities work.

I just saying, if there is probability A and probablility C, out of an infinite number of probabliites, they both have the same probablity of being chosen.

Did I get it? If not, you can PM me.

Edit: Did I mention that I'm bad at math?

young,

Not quite. Don't think of infinite probabilities since that doesn't really make sense in this context. Think more along the lines of an infinite number of ideas from which you must choose just one. When the vast majority of the ideas are about things that do not exist then the practical probability of choosing an idea about something that does exist is extremely small.

Now if you make a second choice then technically, since you have already eliminated one choice then the probability would improve. However, when we are talking about an infinite set of choices then the difference in probability remains effectively zero.

For example if there were only 5 things to choose from then the probability of making the right choice is 20%. Once you have eliminated one item then the next choice would be 25%, then 33%, then 50%, then 100%.

The fewer items you have then the better the probability of finding what you want. However, going the other extreme with an infinite set means your probability is always zero until you have made an infinite number of choices which you can never achieve since infinity has no bounds. That means the probability will always be zero no matter how many choices you make, well almost.

The flaw of course is that in our example there is a small finite set of things that do exist. Think here about choosing a particular grain of sand among all the grains in the Sahara Dessert. And then consider that the desert is infinite in size.

When the vast majority of the ideas are about things that do not exist then the practical probability of choosing an idea about something that does exist is extremely small.
Since none of the theists are pointing this out I guess I will:)
This all assumes that you have no evidence that god exists. There are many documents which talk about accounts of god. The evidence in these documents can narrow the realm of ideas in which god exists to a finite set. This is assuming you don't get too picky about how detailed the idea has to be.

Persol,

This all assumes that you have no evidence that god exists.
Yes that is true.

There are many documents which talk about accounts of god.
Correction - Talk about an alleged god.

The evidence in these documents can narrow the realm of ideas in which god exists to a finite set.
If there were any real evidence then we wouldn't be having this debate. There is no real evidence there is only alleged evidence.

CA -

Would this adequately summarize your position?

What is the point of discussing beliefs that are logically invalid (since no methodology can discern a more probable model (since the question is beyond the scope of science (particularly statistics?))) since they were reached irrationally?

I don't see any way to dent that reasoning, besides for entertainment value. I think this is almost a proof though - that it is irrational to claim theism as logically valid. I must have missed something?

Okay, I can see how "irrational" might be a tad harsh, I think "incorrect" is more appropriate.

wes,

Okay, I can see how "irrational" might be a tad harsh, I think "incorrect" is more appropriate.
No, irrational is correct. Incorrect implies you definitely know they are wrong which implies you can prove a god doesn't exist, and you can't do that.

Irrational means to reach a conclusion not based on a logical construct.

wes,

No, irrational is correct. Incorrect implies you definitely know they are wrong which implies you can prove a god doesn't exist, and you can't do that.

Irrational means to reach a conclusion not based on a logical construct.

Main Entry: 1ir·ra·tio·nal
Pronunciation: i-'ra-sh(&-)n&l, "i(r)-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin irrationalis, from in- + rationalis rational
Date: 14th century
: not rational: as a (1) : not endowed with reason or understanding (2) : lacking usual or normal mental clarity or coherence b : not governed by or according to reason <irrational fears> c Greek & Latin prosody (1) of a syllable : having a quantity other than that required by the meter (2) of a foot : containing such a syllable d (1) : being an irrational number <an irrational root of an equation> (2) : having a numerical value that is an irrational number <a length that is irrational>
- ir·ra·tio·nal·i·ty /-"ra-sh&-'na-l&-tE/ noun
- ir·ra·tio·nal·ly /-'ra-sh(&-)n&-lE/ adverb

While I concur that your assessment of the definition is exactly accurate, I am just stipulating (somewhat superflously) that I recognize that one might validly argue from a secondary definition, or a secondary definition for one of the words (such as "reason") that comprises the definition of the word.

That got confusing there at the end.

Originally posted by wesmorris

CA - Would this adequately summarize your position? What is the point of discussing beliefs that are logically invalid ...
Absolutely not:
  • I love discussing beliefs.
  • There are many God-constructs that are not logically invalid.
I suspect that the view you're addressing is called "noncognitivism". See, for example, Atheism, Agnosticism, Noncognitivism (1998) by Teodore M. Drange.
Originally posted by wesmorris
...since the question is beyond the scope of science (particularly statistics?)
Isn't calling statistics "science" a little like calling the tape measure "carpentry"?

I simply feel that, by using the term "probability", we are pretending to know more than we know.

Probability comes in two flavors, subjective and what's called "relative frequence". The latter measures the relative frequency of some event over an 'event space', and then seeks to make predictions based on the result. This is not the type of 'probability' being referenced here - unless, of course, someone can suggest a method for populating both the numerator and the denominor of the ratio.

On the other hand, for me to say something like
  • "the probability of God is 0.008127%"
is, in my opinion, simply pretentious. If someone were to ask me "What do you think is the likelihood of God(s)?", my answer might be: "I haven't a clue, and neither does anyone else, but I know of absolutely nothing warranting the belief in such a deity."

Dwayne,

The probablity of god is 100%, exactly figure it out!! 100%
I guess this depends on what is meant probablity.

But I guess you meant to say probability.

So does "of god" mean -

1 of god not existing, or
2 of god existing.

And as for 100% exactly: Is it possible to have 100% inexactly?

Or since the comma is before exactly then what does "exactly figure it out!!" mean?

CA,

I finally found time to look at your posted article by Drange. You've mentioned noncognitivism several times recently and I didn't pick up on the term.

Nice artcle. I believe it will change my approach to those terms.

Thanks.

Comment on state of the poll so far.

Note that 23 are certain that a god exists and only 10 are certain that a god does not exist.

Since both extremes are pretty much impossible to prove except through some very highly dubious reasoning then to vote for either extreme is to admit to being technically irrational. But I guess that supports the case made by both sides that the other side is irrational.

But of course since 23 is over double 10 then we can also conclude that theists are twice as irrational than atheists. This is further supported by the next category at each extreme where 99% certain has 2 votes (8% of theist votes) and 1% certain of existence is 11 (50% of atheist votes).

Only 8% of theists are aware of their potential irrationality and admit they can't be certain, but 50% of the atheists understand the irrationality trap.

Isn't it wonderful what can be learnt from statistics?
:) :) :) :)

Hey James R
"What is the probability that God exist?" is not good formed question.
God cannot be explained in numbers.
We BELIEVE that God exist , but we cannot prove it.
Science cannot prove that God doesnt exist...

Originally posted by Vacui
Hey James R
"What is the probability that God exist?" is not good formed question.
God cannot be explained in numbers.
We BELIEVE that God exist , but we cannot prove it.
Science cannot prove that God doesnt exist...

James , I agree with the above statement god cannot be explained in numbers
..our view of god is subjective and based on our senses,reason and metaphysical thought and intuition ...therefore, our notion of god is based on past knowlege.......cogito ergo sum..I think therefore I exist implies that god has come from "thought "only......therefore the notion of god was created by man...negate thought and god does not exist anymore!!!!
where does that leave all the Theists

What do you think?
Dominic:cool:

Last edited:
using mathematical computations for this question does and will not work, therefore 0 probobility, or 100% probobility are the only answers. But if you measure Gods existance using our existance as the source method, then it would go something like this.
  1. I think therefore I am
  2. I am means I exist
  3. I am God
  4. therefore God exists
    [/list=1]

Back