What is the 6th Dimension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this: force has nothing at all to do with it.
It doesn't come into it at all.
NOW do you understand English?
Force does not at all come into the picture when talking about length. :rolleyes:

I never said force goes into anything. It does not "GO" into. What I was trying to say is that anywhere you have length you have force. The two are always present with each other.

Depending on HOW one talks about length...force may or may not be taking into consideration as well.

I know, but you can have two broad classes of theories, those which have time and space affecting one another (relativity for instance) and those where they are completely seperate (Newtonian). In either one time is a dimension.

And there are others still.

The dimension of a system is the number of independent continuous variables.

This makes sense within the mathematical outlook or approach to dimensions.

Each particle requires 3 variables to define it's position in 3 dimensional space and 3 more variables to define it's momentum in 3 dimensional space. Adding more particles means more complexity, means more variables, means more dimensions in your phase space.

This doesn't change what I said earlier, though it explains the mathematical way of working with dimensions as they define them.

Obviously you aren't aware of what the geometry of the objects discussed in string theory are because they are not 'simple attractions' or whatever poorly defined description you want to use. A Calabi-Yaus are not 'spirals of some sort', they do not have simple analogies in terms of everyday shapes, because they are (at least the ones in string theory) 6 dimensional. Yes, the simplest examples are such things as tori but that's just a tiny class of them.

I never said they are simple attraction...did I...please quote me if I did...

I said they are attractions of a sort. I get back to this later...

So you're saying I'm limited in what I can describe using mathematics by how good my calculator is?!

No, you are limited by what you can describe using any system if you can not display visually a perfect representation of that system.

Do you even know what mathematics is about!? It's about abstract logic. Physics is the application of that abstract logic to real world phenomena. There's no muddling, there's only your lack of comprehension. I know the difference between a phase space and a space-time. I know the difference between a moduli space and a vector space. I know the difference between a complete space and a topological space. All are different concepts in mathematics, with 'space' not refering to the space up there in the sky but a concept.

So all those dimensions we spoke of earlier is nothing more then abstract logic at work...

If you know the difference, why don't you specify this earlier as to save time...

I am more curious about what the reality of dimensions are; they could be anything we say they are when they are conceptional...

:rolleyes: A vector space is a space with particular properties and again I don't mean a literal 'space' like up in the sky. Look up what 'vector space' actually means.

And...:confused:

Not 6'th but 6. String theory has 9 spacial dimensions. There's 3 which are big, the ones we're familiar with and then 6 MORE. So when I say I do work on 6 dimensional spaces I don't mean the 3 we see and 3 more, I mean I talk about 6 dimensional systems which are in addition to the 3+1 we already know about.

OK.

An a picture of the 6 dimensional space would be such things as the Calabi Yaus, so no, I can't draw them. I don't need to, I work out their properties and behaviour from their mathematical definitions. I don't need to draw a sphere to work out the shortest path between 2 points on the Earth's surface, I compute the geodesics of the spherical metric.

OK. How is this being applied...

I really don't see why you're obsessed with this. Do physicists need to include a parameter 't' in their algebra to describe systems in the universe? Yes. Does it matter if you call it a dimension or not? Not really. 'Dimension' is a label we give to things to help discussion. If you don't want to call it a dimension, fine, it just means you're working to a different vocabulary to most other people.

I am not obsessed...I am interested. What you are saying here is a re-cap of what has been said earlier and to this I agree!

It utterly retorts your "But what's the fourth dimension?!" whining because there's no natural ordering to dimensions, nor is there a natural choice of how you label dimensions if time and space affect one another.

There may be a natural order to dimensions in reality, not a conceptional fraction of thought and experience of reality. If there is an order to time then it would seem even more likely.

Also, I am not whining, so please restrain from making such accusations in the future. I am not insulting you directly and personally am I...

Where did I say that? I said I didn't need to, I am able to describe them and their behaviour via their mathematically defined properties. I can describe spheres without having to draw them. All you need to know about spheres can be obtained from the general definition $$S^{n} \equiv \{ x \in \mathbb{R}^{n+1} \, | ||x||=1 \}$$ . Don't need to draw anything, that's the whole reason mathematics is the language of physics, you can do a lot without having to cling to the imprecise nature of visual intuition.

We can see a sphere. You've seen a sphere. Off course when you know that the formula makes a sphere you'll be able to describe it. However, for those things that cannot be drawn and have never been seen, you can never be 100% certain about them, nor can those whom you communicate the ideas to be so, regardless of how well that communication is. It's blind-mans work...

I never said otherwise, I said the converse. You don't need to visualise something to describe it's properties.

To describe a shape in full you do, or at least you need to have seen that shape once in order to fully comprehend the description yourself. Otherwise your partially blind to your shapes...

$$dF=0$$ and $$d \ast F = 0$$. That's the entirety of source-less electromagnetism.

OK.

FFS, it's not 'the 6th dimension' it's 6 extra dimensions. And I know what I'm describing are 6 dimensional object because that's what I construct them to be, I use coordinates $$(x_{1},x_{2},x_{3},x_{4},x_{5},x_{6})$$ and build them up from that.

Are these conceptual or real...

There's no argument amongst mathematicians who do work on systems of varying dimensionality, because mathematics doesn't require 'physical evidence'. For instance, $$S^{7}$$ (using the definition I just gave) is a 7 dimensional sphere. I can work out various properties of it without having to know or care if such things exist in the real world. The number '7' doesn't exist in the real world, but we can apply the concept of '7-ness' to groups of objects. If I have 7 apples I have a group of apples which in some way relate to the concept of '7'. Having 7 apples doesn't give me a physical thing which is '7', I'm attaching an abstract concept to a physical thing. Physicists argue over how to attach physical meaning to particular mathematical systems, that's how you do physics, you look for mathematical systems which, when you attach physical meaning to various thigns in the system, gives the same dynamics as the physical system you've associated it to.

Well said, regardless of whether this is a digression or not I enjoy hearing this angle or description. It does help me to understand where you are coming from better. Thanks!

Mathematicians do not require any physical justification for their work, because they aren't trying to describe nature. Physicists try to describe nature so they can test if the models they think behave like nature actually do but even when a model is shown to be wrong the mathematical concepts behind the model are still perfectly valid because they never needed physical justification.

I am trying to describe the dimensions in nature, not the conceptional dimensions in mathematics that help to describe that nature...even if not fully. This post of yours has cleared up a lot. There is no known way to test for the 4th dimension what it is, it would be nice if there where.

Before pausing I would like to say that I am not saying that time is not a dimension, as I see it time cannot exist without dimensions operating upon each other. Time is a combination of dimensions, like a car is a combination of its parts...a car is not just one of its parts. I will have to get back to this subject on time more later (to play with words...)...

No, you are limited by what you can describe using any system if you can not display visually a perfect representation of that system.
Incorrect.
The limitation is in those people who require a "visually perfect representation" of anything.

So all those dimensions we spoke of earlier is nothing more then abstract logic at work...
No.

There may be a natural order to dimensions in reality
What makes you think that?
There's no evidence that there's an ordering.

We can see a sphere. You've seen a sphere. Off course when you know that the formula makes a sphere you'll be able to describe it. However, for those things that cannot be drawn and have never been seen, you can never be 100% certain about them, nor can those whom you communicate the ideas to be so, regardless of how well that communication is. It's blind-mans work...
Oh good grief how wrong can you be?
We CAN be certain and we most definitely CAN communicate the ideas.

To describe a shape in full you do, or at least you need to have seen that shape once in order to fully comprehend the description yourself. Otherwise your partially blind to your shapes...
Not true.

Time is a combination of dimensions
No it isn't, any more than length is a combination of other dimensions.

I never said force goes into anything. It does not "GO" into.
Neither did I.
Your comprehension is poor, still.
Let me try and put it in Janet and John terms for you.
Step 1: Run, Spot, Run.
Step 2: Force does not come into the question/ equation/ picture AT ALL when talking about length.
Step 3: Force does not come into it at all...
Clear?

What I was trying to say is that anywhere you have length you have force. The two are always present with each other.
And that's what I understood you to mean.
And you're still wrong.

Depending on HOW one talks about length...force may or may not be taking into consideration as well.
On the other you've just stated (in the previous sentence) that anywhere you have length you have force, i.e. they're inseparable.
Make your mind up.

And there are others still.
No, either a theory allows time and space to interweave with one another or it doesn't. There is no third option.

I never said they are simple attraction...did I...please quote me if I did...

I said they are attractions of a sort. I get back to this later...
Given you have no knowledge of any calculus, multidimensional algebra or geometry you'll forgive me if I think you don't have a leg to stand on in your claims you've got some grasp of these things to describe them in such a short, off hand way. Do you honestly expect me to believe you have some amazing insight into non-Euclidean geometry when you can't even grasp the notion of abstractness?

Absolute, complete and utter nonsense. If I have a multivariable parameterisation for a shape, what can I obtain from looking at it which cannot be obtained from the parameterisation and algebraic methods. Give an explicit example. Again, you're making claims about something you have absolutely no experience of.

If you know the difference, why don't you specify this earlier as to save time...
So it's my fault you didn't bother to learn any geometry or mathematics before shooting your mouth off? If you didn't know the difference why claim you've got some understanding of the discussion topic?

OK. How is this being applied...
What, geodesics on curves? Plane flight paths.

There may be a natural order to dimensions in reality, not a conceptional fraction of thought and experience of reality. If there is an order to time then it would seem even more likely.
Not ordered as in order of events, ordered as in you keep saying "Is time the fourth dimension? What about the 6th dimension?". What you mean to ask is "Is time a dimension in the same way there are 3 spacial dimension", because the issue of whether its the first, fourth, sixth or billionth is nothing but a matter of convention, a choice in your algebra. Well, my algebra, not yours.

It's clear you have never studied logic or mathematics in any way because your claims are nonsense. An object is specified by its properties. If you can list all of an objects properties then you can describe it perfectly. That's practically tautological.

Here's a simple example : Which has more volume, a cube of side length 2A or a sphere of radius A? Do I need to draw a picture of a cube and a sphere, to scale, to do this? Nope. Cube volume is $$8A^{3}$$, sphere volume is $$\frac{4\pi}{3}A^{3}$$ and since $$8>\frac{4\pi}{3}$$ the cube has more volume. Where's the need to draw a picture? I use the properties of cubes and spheres to solve the problem using algebra. And if you want a case where you definitely can't draw it, which has more volume, an 8 dimensional cube of side length A or an 8 dimensional sphere of side length 1.5A? You tell me.

Utter nonsense. The fact you do not understand how mathematicians work doesn't mean they don't.

Are these conceptual or real...
They are postulated to be real. I work out how the six very small dimensions would alter the physics of the world we can measure, hoping to find a particular configuration which leads to real world physics. I conceptualise a large number of possibilities and work out their implications.

There is no known way to test for the 4th dimension what it is, it would be nice if there where.
There are ways to detect extra curled up small dimensions, to do with the deviation from the usual $$\frac{1}{r^{2}}$$ behaviour of gravity. The question "Is time a dimension" is not a question of experimentation but a question of how you which to label it. Whether you call it a dimension or a squirrel, the algebra you'd do remains the same.

Time is a measurement like inches and yards, it is not a physical entity or force. Then if distance is just a measurement like time and it is not a physical entity or force what do you have?. the universe which is infinite in size and time. you guys are just brain farting about physical matter being effected by unseen forces like gravity and atoms interacting with each other.

you got mass, forces and the universal fabric that is an unseen dimention and force that everything exists within.

Seriously you guys suck nobody listens to me I swear ile give up on you soon.

peace.

exactly
thats all that needs to be said really about time and its Nature
So you do agree that it's a dimensions?
You can't measure it otherwise.
Inches, yards, metres, furlongs... they're all units of measurement of the length dimension.
Likewise second, fortnight...

It seems like a lot of the confusion here is caused by different definitions of the same term. It's become obvious that the word "dimension" is defined differently in mathematics than it is by the layman - and just to note, I believe this thread was started with the intent of exploring dimensions in the way the layman defines it.

So let's get this straight...

A dimension defined by mathematics is just a separate variable in a system.

A dimension defined in layman's terms is a relatively clear and different plane of reality (but connected all the same) that may or may not be perceived by an observer.

Is the semantic war over now?

It seems like a lot of the confusion here is caused by different definitions of the same term. It's become obvious that the word "dimension" is defined differently in mathematics than it is by the layman - and just to note, I believe this thread was started with the intent of exploring dimensions in the way the layman defines it.
So let's get this straight...
A dimension defined by mathematics is just a separate variable in a system.
A dimension defined in layman's terms is a relatively clear and different plane of reality (but connected all the same) that may or may not be perceived by an observer.
Is the semantic war over now?
In which case the OP needs to show that there are "different planes of reality".
Plus, of course, it's not all clear that's what the OP meant:
If the 4th dimension is space
and the 5th dimension time,
then what is the 6th dimension?
What would dimensions 7 - 10 be?
Since space and time are clearly not "different planes of reality".

Maybe what it does show is that the "layman" doesn't know what he's talking about and therefore decides to raise specious nonsensical points that have no foundation in actuality.

Maybe what it does show is that the "layman" doesn't know what he's talking about and therefore decides to raise specious nonsensical points that have no foundation in actuality.

One wonders why someone so knowledgeable as yourself would even engage in a discussion about "specious nonsensical points that have no foundation in actuality" in the first place? Why not open up your own thread and define dimensions how YOU think it should be defined and leave the imbeciles in this thread to spit in fart at each other?

One wonders why someone so knowledgeable as yourself would even engage in a discussion about "specious nonsensical points that have no foundation in actuality" in the first place? Why not open up your own thread and define dimensions how YOU think it should be defined and leave the imbeciles in this thread to spit in fart at each other?
This IS the thread (apparently) where imbeciles spit and fart at each other: as you yourself pointed out, there are (at least) two definitions of "dimension" - the scientific one and the layman's one.
One of those definitions has validity and is usable, the other is so ill-defined as to barely deserve the word "definition" and has no basis (other than vague speculation [or wishful thinking for the hard-core woo woo]) whatsoever.
And for your information the reason I'm engaged in this discussion is to point out that the errors in perception and "thinking" by certain laymen.
In short I'm hoping that some people will learn something instead of remaining ignorant of the actualities.
If you'd bother to read the thread (as opposed to just jump in and assume) you'd note that I haven't engaged in any discussion of the "specious nonsensical points that have no foundation in actuality" except to point out that they are indeed nonsense and show why - i.e. I use the real meaning of the word. :rolleyes:

“ Originally Posted by thinking
exactly
thats all that needs to be said really about time and its Nature

So you do agree that it's a dimensions?
You can't measure it otherwise.
Inches, yards, metres, furlongs... they're all units of measurement of the length dimension.
Likewise second, fortnight...

the thing is Dywyddr

is that the Universe and all the happenings within it don't care much about any measurement of any kind

the Universe is about the interactions and actions of things , only

the Universe measures nothing , we do in order to understand what is going on , in the Universe

time is only a measurement dimension

if time were a real and a physical dimension , in that it affects things because of the introduction of time to any scenario , then time would be a real and influential dimension

but time is not

while pluging in any varience of time into any mathematical equation is possible , that does not change the actual physical dynamics of an object(s) behaviour

is that the Universe and all the happenings within it don't care much about any measurement of any kind
True.

the Universe is about the interactions and actions of things , only
Sort of.

the Universe measures nothing , we do in order to understand what is going on , in the Universe
True, sort of.

time is only a measurement dimension
So is length...

if time were a real and a physical dimension , in that it affects things because of the introduction of time to any scenario , then time would be a real and influential dimension
Like length?

but time is not
Wrong.

while pluging in any varience of time into any mathematical equation is possible , that does not change the actual physical dynamics of an object(s) behaviour
Very wrong.

it would be better if you said more than just " wrong "
Such as?
Quite simply: you're wrong.
As I have explained many times in previous posts.

do really understand what I'm saying here ?
I don't think so
That's quite possible since you seem to have completely incorrect perspective on it.
Time is a dimension, just as much as length is.

“ do really understand what I'm saying here ?
I don't think so ”

That's quite possible since you seem to have completely incorrect perspective on it.
Time is a dimension, just as much as length is.

I see

so if I have a Mustang going 150 mph and I simply subtract time in the mathematical equation of the mph equation , the Mustang will go faster

how so ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back