What is death?

Cris,

And how the brain recover memory, learned skills and this kind of stuff...? Healing too?

I'm asking you that if the brain is damaged, memory, learned skills and this kind of thing might be lost. So how this is recovered? The cells of the brain can multiply again, but lost information, as I know, can't be recovered? What do you say?

Love,
Nelson

Yiff...

The human brain, once damaged, is capable of relearning things (it's called rehabilitation) that were lost. It is also capable of "re-routing" information around damaged areas, so if the area of the brain that controls you hand is damaged, over time you will probably regain use of your hand (to an extent anyways, the human brain can't heal everything!).

And high levels of stress (i.e. NDE's) <b>are</b> capable of producing hallucinations in the brain. I'd post citations of it but I'm too damn lazy, look it up if you don't believe me.

SpyFox_the_KMeson,

Thanks for supporting my view... :D

Now, I ask you and Cris how people that supposedly had brain damage don't lose ANY information and simply get out of the hospital with NO problems!!!!!

:D:D:D:D

I'm listening... ;)

Love,
Nelson

truthseeker,

Now, I ask you and Cris how people that supposedly had brain damage don't lose ANY information and simply get out of the hospital with NO problems!!!!!
I think you are making an assumption that you are not communicating here.

There is an enormous range of injuries that can occur to the brain that will result in an irrecoverable state, i.e. death, to just oxygen starvation. The degree of damage and location of the damage may result in various degrees of memory loss and other functional loss. Many people remain permanently disabled while others stay in coma. Other types of damage are very transitory, e.g. oxygen starvation, which can heal very quickly (minutes or hours) once the cause of the problem is removed.

Of the number of those people who recover, a miniscule number report NDEs. NDEs are just hallucinations which means those cells that that were damaged or starved of oxygen were able to recover, otherwise the patient would not have been able to recall the NDE hallucination. If the cells were permanently damaged then those patients would not have been able to report an NDE.

We should perhaps be more precise about our definitions here since you are assuming brain damage is always severe, whereas the NDE reports I have seen refer to recoverable brain trauma.

I hope that helps.
Cris

Dear Poet~PriestOfNothing
Welcome to the club!

but what can one expect from a "gothprincess"?

What can one expect from a person who's logic is so full of holes they can play ring toss with it?

Oh, and before you object to my post:
I see that you too have no sense of humour
People tend not to find insults humorous. Sorry if that hurt your feelings, but perhaps not insulting people's intelligance would be in order.

Cris,

I'm talking about any kind of brain damage...
My point is that how much damaged a brain has to be in order to produce an NDE. As you see... "Near Death Experience" seems pretty severe to me...

Besides that, why people always describes it in the same way...?

Love,
Nelson

Foxy

I don't think I did a very good job of wording my earlier post...
The damaged part of the brain, in any severe damage (or anything that physically destroys or disconnects neurons) is unrecoverable. What the brain <b>can</b> do is relearn things. I think it's also important to note here that under stress it is very easy to have false memories. I'm not going to go into detail as I am not an expert on it, but I do know it happens.

My personal opinion is that an NDE is just a hallucination of the brain produced by stress and damage.

And by the way, only certain cells of the brain (in the hippocampus I believe) can reproduce, this is the area associated with memory. But don't quote me on that.

Originally posted by Mech_The_Muon

Oh, and before you object to my post: People tend not to find insults humorous. Sorry if that hurt your feelings, but perhaps not insulting people's intelligance would be in order.

I agree completely with that. :D

*goes back to looking at her ring that changes colors on it own*

*edit* Ack, sorry guys, this was supposed to go in another thread. My apologies.

Last edited:
Hello-ooooo!

Can Cris or anyone read me here...
I have a point here, you know...

Posted by Me:
I'm talking about any kind of brain damage...
My point is that how much damaged a brain has to be in order to produce an NDE. As you see... "Near Death Experience" seems pretty severe to me...

Besides that, why people always describes it in the same way...?

SpyFox_the_KMeson,

And by the way, only certain cells of the brain (in the hippocampus I believe) can reproduce, this is the area associated with memory. But don't quote me on that.

I quoted... :D
Well, you are right. Thanks for remembering that... it's an important point here... ;)

So... people that experience "Near Death" "brain damage" will be able to recover from it? Or there's no brain damage and NDE is real, not an hallucination...?

Love,
Nelson

So it´s ok for you to call me deluded, drug addict and other insulting names, but when I humorously call you morons YOU get offended????
Allow me to not believe a word that you write.....:rolleyes:
And if you didn´t catch the obvious non-malicious humour in my post, then it is embarrasingly obvious that you have very low understanding for the written word, possibly combined with a non existing self distance and a frightening lack of humour.
Fell free to get offended now, you morons. :D

And I have explained over and over again why and how my logic is in fact not circular, so explain to me again why you can´t see that, and I will try to elaborate my ideas to the kindergarten level that you are on. Now , THAT was mean. ;)
I apologize for that, but I´m really getting sick and tired to carry on the same fruitless conversation with different but as narrow minded people as the ones before.
I think I will take a pause from visiting this forum.

The Evidence

Bebelina!

Don't get away from here! I Love your posts... :)

Btw... did you changed the color of your text...?
I begun writting in this color today... ;)

Anyways... I know how do you feel!!!
Have you already voted in my other thread about who is the most close-minded...? :D

Anyways...
Here is the evidence about NDE as non-hallucination fact.
It's from the book "God: The Evidence" that I just happened to have bought one hour ago...

"Coincidence", huh?

"Hallucination
One of the earliest hyphothesis offered for the NDE was that it was a hallucination (possibly drug-induced) or a dream. 34Not only do many people encounter NDEs with no drug involvement, but also, as a number of researchers have argued, the experience does not have the normal charactheristics of a hallucination. First, the otherwise normal people who have NDEs do not interpret them as hallucinations, but as very "real" experiences- "as real as you and me sitting here talking" is a common characterization. Normally those who have experience hallucinations are aware afterwards that they have been hallucinating. Sabom had two patients who had each experienced drug-induced hallucinations and a near-death experience on separate occasions. Both perceived sharp distinctions between the hallucinatory state and the NDE. Second, hallucinations normally involve serious distortions of reality. But the NDE is normally ordered. While imagery may vary, the experience is remembered as highly coherent. Moreover, there are common patterns to the experience, across individuals and across cultures, 35whereas hallucinations tend to be more idiosyncratic. third, hallucinations are characteristically accompained by anxienty and disturbance; the vast majority of those who report having had NDEs describe a feeling of peace and calm once they have separated from their bodies. Fourth, a number of studies have shown that NDEs normally have a life- transforming effect on the beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors of those who experience them. Diminished fear of death is among the most universal aftereffects. A heightened sense of spirituality and purpose-often reflected in major lifestyle changes-is also common. 36 mere hallucinations do not normally have this kind of carryover into individuals' lives."

God: The Evidence by Patrick Glynn, page 123

After that it talks a little bit about time in NDEs as experienced differently from time we have here. 37

Notes:
34. Ronald K. Siegel, "The Psychology of Life After Death," in Bruce Greyson and Charles P. Flynn, eds., The Near Death Experience (Springfield, IL: Thomas, 1984), pp. 78-120.

35. Karlis Osis and Erlendur Haraldsson, At the Hour of Death (New York: Avon, 1977), provided an extensive cross-cultural survey of near-death apparitions and experiences in the United States and India and found similar patterns.

36. See Melvin Morse, with Paul Perry, Transformed by the Light (New York: Ballantine, 1992), and Kenneth Ring, Heading Toward Omega (New York: Morro, 1985)

37. Fenwick and Fenwick, p. 118.

Is that enough EVIDENCE for you...?

Love,
Nelson

I was joking when i called you a druggy. i even tell my friends they are on crack when they say something that just make me think 'what the f***?!?' I usaully ask them what the heck they are smoking or tell them to lay off the crack for a while. then they burst out laughing and roll around on the floor.
It's rather interesting.

don't call us morons just because we don't agree with what you're saying. that is a very childish thing to do. before you even start with me, i didn't call you a moron because i disagreeed with what you were saying. i called you a moron because you said Nuetrino and mech were morons, and only a moron would think that.
-depressedangel-

Guys, if I were you, I'd just ignore Bebelina.

She hasn't really made any sort of point, just a vast number of circular assumptions, and then snidely attacks anyone who disagree's with her.

And THEN- After you make an inquiry reguarding her condencending behavior, she skirts away claiming she wasn't really insulting you, just making a joke.

Not worth any salt to bother with, in my opinion.

Ok, my 2 cents on the topic.

Firstly, I firmly believe in the Liberal Scientific Method: That all information is up for grabs.

For example, somebody can disprove the law of gravity. They can do this, but it would first require they overturn a mountain of evidence to support.

Likewise, while I do believe that their is a possiblity of an afterlife, I've yet to see any hard evidence that supports it. What I have heard has either sounded like wishful thinking, or very real delusions.

However, I do hold that it's possible. But until I do, I dont have any reason to believe in it, so I won't.

Death is simply when God wants us to go into a better place in the Blessed Trinity unless you die purposely.

After Death is the life beyond earth and space.
It depends on your personality and how you lived.
If you lived sad in your life you will have a sad after life if you lived happy you will have a happy after life.

Bebalina,

Why dont you try your own arguement out. Throw out your worldview than assume im right. That shouldn't be too hard all I ask is that you look at facts (not circular logic) assume they are true and that there is no reason to assume anything beyond them.

What are you afraid of? You might be wrong?

P.S. Don't be so sensitive you've called me closed minded, moronic, and have no sense of humor and i'm not offended.

"It depends on your personality and how you lived.
If you lived sad in your life you will have a sad after life if you lived happy you will have a happy after life."

Says who? Have you experienced it? Christianity says this? Who? And secondly, what if a rapist lives quite happily?

Yes. And I also know that many rapists do not feel remorse or heavy conscience for their acts.

Back