What is a Christian?

I don't assume anything, I am using the bible as my source. You aren't using a source, at all. You're the one making empty assumptions.

And this is why nobody on this forum can stand you. Baseless accusations such as this, and the refusal to accept when you might be wrong about a subject. How can a person who so readily bashes the religious for being illogical and irrational be a caricature of that himself?

No, they've misread that, it's 72 virginians. They didn't know what the hell a Virginia was back then. Easy mistake. Sucks for them though, we Virginians are well known for our patriotic fervor.

Ohhhhhhh, that makes sense now! Doesn't get much better than a midsummer night at the ballpark catching a Tides game, does it?

And this is why nobody on this forum can stand you.

Or, is it because you can't hold yourself in an argument, that you have to rely on fallacious examples rather than the sources themselves?

Baseless accusations such as this, and the refusal to accept when you might be wrong about a subject. How can a person who so readily bashes the religious for being illogical and irrational be a caricature of that himself?

I don't need to accept your version of who is right and who is wrong. When you actually start referring to the source of this discussion; the bible, then perhaps you can comment on what is illogical and irrational in how Christians define themselves. Until then, you're just blowing smoke.

Not familiar with the Tides, used to catch the Richmond Braves every now and then. They are moving though.

Q-Just so you know, there is a large number of christians that believe that worshipping the bible to the point you suggest is making it an idol, and thus sinful-thou shalt have no other gods....

JDawg, notice how he quotes a little of what you say, takes it out of context, responds to it, and blithely ignores the rest? lol He is a tiring simp.

SetiAlpha, I'm sorry, what biblical passages say I should come and kill you right now so that you will go to hell? I've read the bible several times, I've somehow missed that.

Since you know the Bible, which I do not doubt, you certainly already know that the "Law of God" commands, over and over again, that you must kill even your very own children and friends "without mercy" when they sin. I will find the references for you if you wish, but there are many and you really should already know them. In the Bible, in the Law, even picking up sticks on the Sabbath is punishable by death. And if your daughter is found to not be a virgin on her wedding day you are commanded to kill her. How can anyone ever justify this? This is just plain sick! But what choice do you have but to say Amen, Praise the Lord, Alleluia, God's will be done? Could someone please hand me another stone so I can help? You had to kill your own neighbors, friends, brothers, daughters, mothers, fathers, sons, sisters...

You should also already know that Jesus Himself clearly taught that the "Law of God" would remain in force untill the end of this earth. And, as I look out my window, the earth is still here.

Only Christians are protected from the penalty of the Law, and no one else. Right? So it would seem that only Christians can break the Law without penalty while everyone else must die.

Regards

ohhhh. The Jewish law stuff. Interesting. It's like God was breaking a horse, showing the Jews he could be right mean, or he could be kind. Thought provoking stuff. It's as interesting to me as Hammurabi's Code. Wild stuff. Thank goodness he sent his only son to die on a cross for me. Hoo. Don't have to do that stuff, or sacrifice animals, or any of it, really.

Q-Just so you know, there is a large number of christians that believe that worshipping the bible to the point you suggest is making it an idol, and thus sinful-thou shalt have no other gods....

Should we care what those Christians "believe" or should we look to their bible for that guidance? You keep making the same error as Jdawg does, in that you both assume this is about me, when in fact it's about the bible and what is contained there.

Please show me a passage in the bible that follows the logic of the Christians you refer?

And this is why nobody on this forum can stand you. Baseless accusations such as this, and the refusal to accept when you might be wrong about a subject. How can a person who so readily bashes the religious for being illogical and irrational be a caricature of that himself?

Umm pot, kettle, black?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ohhhh. The Jewish law stuff. Interesting. It's like God was breaking a horse, showing the Jews he could be right mean, or he could be kind. Thought provoking stuff. It's as interesting to me as Hammurabi's Code. Wild stuff. Thank goodness he sent his only son to die on a cross for me. Hoo. Don't have to do that stuff, or sacrifice animals, or any of it, really.

How is it that, according to Jesus, the "Law of God" is still in force today, Laws that command that you must personally kill these people, and yet you are telling me that you do not have to do any of this stuff???

How does this work? What am I missing?

Thanks

law of God. okay. you win. no idea where that comes from. Can I have a hint? I suspect it's in one of the gospels, but I could be wrong. Wait. Is that from Revelations maybe? After the New Jerusalem tango? Help me out here , Seti.

law of God. okay. you win. no idea where that comes from. Can I have a hint? I suspect it's in one of the gospels, but I could be wrong. Wait. Is that from Revelations maybe? After the New Jerusalem tango? Help me out here , Seti.

Here is one example of many such teachings to be found in the “Law of God”. The Law is described in the Bible as being both “perfect” and “eternal.”

Deuteronomy 13:6-9
6"If your brother, your mother's son, or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul, entice you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods' (whom neither you nor your fathers have known, 7of the gods of the peoples who are around you, near you or far from you, from one end of the earth to the other end), 8you shall not yield to him or listen to him; and your eye shall not pity him, nor shall you spare or conceal him. 9"But you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

This is how you turn the hearts and minds of an entire nation to Stone and Ice.

And below we have Jesus telling us that He did not come to abolish the Law at all.

Matthew 5:17-20
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

According to Jesus, you are supposed to “practice” and teach the Law to others.

And the earth is still here. So?

What a Christian is has changed a lot over the centuries.

In the middle ages being a Christian meant obeying the Church, being chaste, giving alms, dunking witches, burning heretics, and slaughtering infidels.

Now, if you listen to Christian rock, its more of a gimme gimme gimme thing.

There is less emphasis on the authority and unity of the church and more emphasis on a personal relationship to Jesus...as the hippie who loves everybody.

Here is one example of many such teachings to be found in the “Law of God”. The Law is described in the Bible as being both “perfect” and “eternal.”

Deuteronomy 13:6-9
6"If your brother, your mother's son, or your son or daughter, or the wife you cherish, or your friend who is as your own soul, entice you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods' (whom neither you nor your fathers have known, 7of the gods of the peoples who are around you, near you or far from you, from one end of the earth to the other end), 8you shall not yield to him or listen to him; and your eye shall not pity him, nor shall you spare or conceal him. 9"But you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

This is how you turn the hearts and minds of an entire nation to Stone and Ice.

And below we have Jesus telling us that He did not come to abolish the Law at all.

Matthew 5:17-20
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

According to Jesus, you are supposed to “practice” and teach the Law to others.

And the earth is still here. So?

Jesus was saying he was here to be the only man to ever fulfill the law, and he was here to fulfill the prophecies of the messiah.

Actually, I was asking for references to the Law being eternal.

Jesus was saying he was here to be the only man to ever fulfill the law, and he was here to fulfill the prophecies of the messiah.

Actually, I was asking for references to the Law being eternal.

Sure, no problem... Here are a few...

Exodus 31:
16'So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.'

Psalm 111:
7 The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his precepts are trustworthy. 8 They are steadfast for ever and ever, done in faithfulness and uprightness.

Psalm 119:
160 All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.

Jn 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

Jn 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me

1 Jn 2:3 And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments

1 Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

2 Jn 6 And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

Rev 12:17 who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.

Rev 14:12 Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

Romans 2:13
for it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

So do you practice the Old Testament Law and teach others to obey it, just as Jesus commanded, or have you rejected His words?

Back