What if?

that is the conformity (or the beginning of it at least)
although conformity is not really a good choice of words since its more an innate ability that is uncovered than something acquired

for eg

1. Knowledge of god is fully dependent on adopting a suitable state of being

lust, avarice, envy etc will not be helpful

2. Adopting a suitable state of being is dependent on associating with persons who are already in knowledge

"birds of a feather flock together"

3. The further one one knows about the god, the further issues of the self and environment are also known

the more I know about god the more I know about myself, others and this world (in terms of "why" moreso than "what" ... which is the pride and joy of empiricism)

hm...i see. in regards to #2, i really didn't know a lot of people (or any) that felt the way i did, or that talked about it if they did. i've felt pretty alone in that regard, but i didn't care enough to let it stop me. i don't feel alone now.

it turns out i wasn't alone. i was just ignorant and jaded by my surroundings.

its more that the knowledge intensifies under personal reciprocation.

For instance suppose it was suddenly discovered that at birth you were switched with the president's son and were now warmly invited into the loving atmosphere of the white house family.

Do you think your knowledge of the president would undergo any changes?
This suggests that God doesn't know who I am until I present myself to him.
If so, how come ? He created all of us, right ?
If not, he's an asshole for not letting me know him.

Emnos

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
all analogies fail somewhere down the track (the reason the president cannot extend himself to everyone is because he is not god)
it was meant to illustrate more how knowing the president is fully dependent on the dictation of the president - which offers an alternative to say empiricial inquiry.

I know..
so the analogy is ok in as far as one can expect an analogy to be ok?

actually what I am saying is that knowledge is dependent on application - religion (knowledge) works for those who apply it - much like biology (knowledge) works for those who go to university

Knowledge is not dependent on application. I can know lots of things and never apply them.
I caught the gist of your posts and assumed you weren't interested in discussing faith based knowledge

What you mean is that through application you know whether or not the knowledge 'works', which says nothing about the correctness of the knowledge.
if you don't test knowledge by seeing if it works and if accepting hearsay is ultimately hearsay, how does one determine whether knowledge is correct or not?
so if I said "I know god is a purple banana" what would be your next question?

Take a guess.. lol
something like

"hey! you must have applied the same knowledge acquiring processes as me!"

;)

only if you take the analogy in a way that it was not meant

If someone is indicating a celestial body in the night sky by saying it as the end of a tree branch do you chastise them for their suggestion that a star could be so close as to be on the tip of a branch in the park?
:mad:

Emnos

so the analogy is ok in as far as one can expect an analogy to be ok?

I caught the gist of your posts and assumed you weren't interested in discussing faith based knowledge

if you don't test knowledge by seeing if it works and if accepting hearsay is ultimately hearsay, how does one determine whether knowledge is correct or not?

something like

"hey! you must have applied the same knowledge acquiring processes as me!"

;)

With evidence.

only if you take the analogy in a way that it was not meant
I take it you used the analogy to make me see what you meant..
If I draw the wrong conclusion from your analogy it isn't a very good one.

If someone is indicating a celestial body in the night sky by saying it as the end of a tree branch do you chastise them for their suggestion that a star could be so close as to be on the tip of a branch in the park?
:mad:

Hu.. what ??

With evidence.
and how do you propose to test the relevancy of evidence?

For instance if I say, this knife is evidence that you are guilty of murder, or, this purple banana is evidence of the existence of god, what's next if you want to exclude hearsay and any "working processes" of knowledge?
:confused:

and how do you propose to test the relevancy of evidence?

For instance if I say, this knife is evidence that you are guilty of murder, or, this purple banana is evidence of the existence of god, what's next if you want to exclude hearsay and any "working processes" of knowledge?

Could you please continue to the knowledge and verification ? I'm getting tired of this.

What if I die before he lets me know him ?

i don't think it would be reasonable to assume he let's anyone fall through the cracks you know? i wouldn't worry about such things if i were you. the best you can do is manage your own intentions. if that's not good enough for him then what does that say about him? worry about what you can control, and not about what you can't. we all have a fair share of responsibility in our life and you're doing well to take that on. i wouldn't want to take on what's his.

If you want to see god, you have to play a Black Sabbath LP record at 78 speed. At least, that was an effective method in the '70s (there may have been drugs involved).

Could you please continue to the knowledge and verification ? I'm getting tired of this.
I proposed knowledge is tested by seeing whether it works (or not).
You said this is not true since one can test knowledge with evidence.

I don't understand how one can test the validity of evidence without calling upon whether knowledge works or not.

i don't think it would be reasonable to assume he let's anyone fall through the cracks you know? i wouldn't worry about such things if i were you. the best you can do is manage your own intentions. if that's not good enough for him then what does that say about him? worry about what you can control, and not about what you can't. we all have a fair share of responsibility in our life and you're doing well to take that on. i wouldn't want to take on what's his.

I don't worry.
Although I am open to knowledge I haven't seen one shred of evidence to suggest a God exists.. But if someday God makes himself known I would not wipe that under the carpet so to speak. But I highly doubt it will happen (<- understatement).

Back