What if?

I proposed knowledge is tested by seeing whether it works (or not).
You said this is not true since one can test knowledge with evidence.

I don't understand how one can test the validity of evidence without calling upon whether knowledge works or not.

:confused:

Look superstition works for some people, athletes for example. Does that mean the superstition is truth ?

Now lets see the knowledge.

I don't worry.
Although I am open to knowledge I haven't seen one shred of evidence to suggest a God exists.. But if someday God makes himself known I would not wipe that under the carpet so to speak. But I highly doubt it will happen (<- understatement).

If this day came, how would you know that it wasn't some form of hallucination, or mental illness taking form? Maybe when you think you are able to perceive god, all you are really perceiving is the early onset of Alzheimer's. Malfunctioning human brains are common, and the ability to understand the meaning and purpose of existence is usually a good sign of one.

Look superstition works for some people, athletes for example. Does that mean the superstition is truth ?

Probably not since superstition can be tested (to see if it works) in a way that it doesn't hold for athletes

Now lets see the knowledge.
if you want to see it outside of issues of application while deriding hearsay, there's nothing to see
:shrug:

If this day came, how would you know that it wasn't some form of hallucination, or mental illness taking form? Maybe when you think you are able to perceive god, all you are really perceiving is the early onset of Alzheimer's. Malfunctioning human brains are common, and the ability to understand the meaning and purpose of existence is usually a good sign of one.
I agree. I was talking about an unambiguous experience though. And if the doctor says that there is nothing wrong with me, the experience is worth some thought. But still.. I agree.

particularly if you can bring it into line with 'workable' knowledge

If I say that atoms are superstition, how would you bring that claim into check?

then you are going about it all the wrong way

There is an abundance of physical evidence to support the existence of atoms. This is not true of god/

By " going about it all the wrong way" I take it that what you are really saying is that you can adduce no evidence to support your claim. Nothing new there.

particularly if you can bring it into line with 'workable' knowledge

If I say that atoms are superstition, how would you bring that claim into check?

then you are going about it all the wrong way

There is an abundance of physical evidence to support the existence of atoms. This is not true of god/
in philosophy they call that "empiricism"

By " going about it all the wrong way" I take it that what you are really saying is that you can adduce no evidence to support your claim. Nothing new there.
not really
its more like the wrongness of demanding that a claim that is not empirical be validated by empiricism.

kind of like the wrongness of demanding that geometry be validated by a thermometer (of course a thermometer works just fine .... for measuring temperature)

of course you will no doubt go on how your thermometerism (aka empiricism) is the truth the light and the way yet it still remains grossly incapable of monopolizing the pursuit of knowledge
:shrugs:

Last edited:
Back