What has god done for you

On a tangent: I have this friend who years ago had this satirical campaign of handing out matchbooks she designed that said, "Sure, Jesus died for your sins, but what has he done for you lately?"

Ps. This is not a debate point. Just thought some folks might find it funny.:D

And What I'm pointing out is, Atheism is not a lack of belief in 'god', rather, atheism is a belief in 'no god'.

If one mearly lacks a belief in god that closer to agnosticism.

What you're "pointing out" is incorrect.

If there isn't one there really needs to be a sticky on this subject because theists are continually getting it wrong.

Agnosticism has to do with a god being knowable or unknowable, not with belief or lack thereof.

Atheism is typically divided into strong atheism and weak atheism. (belief/lack of belief)

First, If you don't care about what others say then Why bother being involved in a discussion board.
I didnt say that i didnt care what others said, i said that i dont care how much YOU value MY opinion.

And What I'm pointing out is, Atheism is not a lack of belief in 'god', rather, atheism is a belief in 'no god'.
*sigh* Atheism is not a belief, its a lack of belief in any God. How many times do i have to repeat that...
Get your facts straight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

If one mearly lacks a belief in god that closer to agnosticism.
No it is not.
Again, get your facts straight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Look, I not trying to tell you what you believe in or against.
My main point is get terms defined.
Atheism is a position of belief. To say "There is no god"
is a belief.
See above..

Oh, please define: 'We'? Thx.
We, as in me and all other people that share an absence of belief in deities.

Aha.......... Why then do your persons gifted with saintlyness get factual diagnosis and cure as numerically equally wrong as a boiled hedgehog, yet a Doctor with just evidential knowledge cures immensely more frequently than can be attributed to chance??

if you know the correct standard of saintliness, the statistics look a bit different - in other words if a doctor takes proper advantage of the aid (brain scans) he doesn't make a mistake ... similarly if a person takes advantage of the aid (god) they don't make mistakes

if you know the correct standard of saintliness, the statistics look a bit different - in other words if a doctor takes proper advantage of the aid (brain scans) he doesn't make a mistake ... similarly if a person takes advantage of the aid (god) they don't make mistakes

OH GOOD THERES BEEN A DEVELOPMENT IN SANTLINESS. FROM DOING NO BETTER THAN CHANCE TO FULL 100% CURE. IF YOU WOULD BE SO GRACIOUS AS TO SHOW ME THE SUPPORTING RESEARCH I WILL GLADLY CONCEDE DEFEAT TO YOU.:yawn: HOW LONG BEFOE YOU CAN GET THAT TO ME?

OH GOOD THERES BEEN A DEVELOPMENT IN SANTLINESS. FROM DOING NO BETTER THAN CHANCE TO FULL 100% CURE. IF YOU WOULD BE SO GRACIOUS AS TO SHOW ME THE SUPPORTING RESEARCH I WILL GLADLY CONCEDE DEFEAT TO YOU.:yawn: HOW LONG BEFOE YOU CAN GET THAT TO ME?
as I gave in my post, the beginning would be an understanding on what a saintly person is, since unclear definitions certainly don't make for concise statistical info

as I gave in my post, the beginning would be an understanding on what a saintly person is, since unclear definitions certainly don't make for concise statistical info

Let me define it for you then:

Cure: Cure is the reversal of an illness or affliction.

Percentage:
percentage is the convertion of a fraction into a degree of 100. 100% percent being
1/1 or as the denominator is implied just 1. In other words every single occurence without fail!

Let me define it for you then:

Cure: Cure is the reversal of an illness or affliction.

Percentage:
percentage is the convertion of a fraction into a degree of 100. 100% percent being
1/1 or as the denominator is implied just 1. In other words every single occurence without fail!
yes without fail.

BTW if you want to argue that the only certainty is that nothing is certain you have just shot yourself in a foot with a double negative ("never say never")

without even addressing what the correct definitions are for the evidence to be given?
why?
I just gave you the definitions for how a claimed 100% cure rate(or any % cure rate) would be quantified.

well my highly erudite champion with a gaping hole in your foot, if nothing is certain, how do you know that with certainty?

:shrug: Are you on a different planet from me?

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
without even addressing what the correct definitions are for the evidence to be given?
why?

I just gave you the definitions for how a claimed 100% cure rate would be quantified.
definitions of "how", yes
definitions of "who", no

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
well my highly erudite champion with a gaping hole in your foot, if nothing is certain, how do you know that with certainty?

Are you on a different planet from me?

if you can't see the problems of logic in the above statement, yes

Seriously though, you are doing this for a laugh yes? No one can be truely that far gone from reality and still be able to type a readable message, surely?

I didnt say that i didnt care what others said, i said that i dont care how much YOU value MY opinion.

*sigh* Atheism is not a belief, its a lack of belief in any God. How many times do i have to repeat that...
Get your facts straight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

No it is not.
Again, get your facts straight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

See above..

We, as in me and all other people that share an absence of belief in deities.

First, Thanks for the clairification on 'We'.

As to my facts:

atheism - noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
DERIVATIVES - [atheist- noun] [atheistic- adjective] [atheistical- adjective]
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god.’

agnostic - noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God. adjective of or relating to agnostics or agnosticism.
DERIVATIVES: [agnosticism- noun]
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from a- 1 [not] + gnostic.

Dictionary Version 1.0.1 (1.0.1)
Copyright © 2005 Apple Computer, Inc.,
All Rights Reserved.

I'm not a 'wiki' kinda guy. Actually, I'm more of the paper type. However, as the computer dictionary is easy to quote...
I have not added any words/content. I did delete the 'how to pronounce' bits as they did not survive the transfer legibly.
As to your: "YOU value MY" opinion- my position stands.
See, I hold YOUR opinion in some value,[so far, lol] otherwise I would not engage. Like, ya know?

Enmos, sometimes I'm away from my 'puter a day or three, but I will respond:) I'm enjoying this board/site.

And, if y'all want, T1G! works just fine. It's easier.

"far gone" seems to be what you are trying to put between yourself and your previous arguments
:shrug:

You have ignored my argument! My argument is unble to penetrate 10inches of skull bone you have built up! You dont know how to counter a point(argue), you only know how to ignore and endlessly repeat a sales pitch as absent of integrity as a spanish holiday scheme tout. To top it all, you really do seem to beleive your own bullshit afterall.

First, Thanks for the clairification on 'We'.

As to my facts:

atheism - noun
the theory or belief that God does not exist.
DERIVATIVES - [atheist- noun] [atheistic- adjective] [atheistical- adjective]
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god.’
.....Then most people labelled atheists are not actually atheists at all. A Theory has to be based on evidence and there is no evidence a god doesn't exist as much as there is no evidence a god does exist.

A scientist will dismiss any hypothesis that doesn't stand up to testing and thats all we can say about the existence of god/gods. There is no theory that he doesnt exist! The only theory a scientist will have in regards to gods/god is they are a man made construct brought about to comfort and control.

Back