What has god done for you

Did you not read anything I posted there? You are simply parroting things that you read, yet you naively assume that you have a superior epistemological footing because, of course, the items you choose to parrot agree with your preconceived metaphysical wishes.

Such naivete is not uncommon among undergrads.

Well if I thought you were confused about what I was saying before, you've proved it now; I don't have any metaphysical claims, genius. Furthermore, my entire stance here is highly against preconceiving ANYTHING, which is a criticism you can't escape from, or even realize it applies to you in the first place. I've given you more than adequate explanation, the fact that you can't retain any of it isn't my doing. All you can give me in return are ill-constructed rebuttals stating ambiguous general statements like the above that can be applied to anybody with minimal effort.

So don't try to dull my points with accusations of 'parroting', all that you accomplish is an increased attention of the fact that you have to resort to responses like that.

"Such naivete is not uncommon among undergrads." You're going to follow up telling me how superior I think my footing is with a statement like that?

You need to upgrade your rhetoric and logic, it puts you on about a 7th grade level. Oh now, that's unfair of me...I should instead be congratulating you for getting that far in the first place. Congratulations, keep up the goo-...err...hard work.

GhostofMaxwell.

This honesty in science is automatic;

truly you are a man of faith

TRULY YOU HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE RIGOROUS TESTING AND INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION SOMETHING HAS TO GO THROUGH TO BECOME ACCEPTED SCIENCE.

so in other words it is not automatic?
:rolleyes:

Celpha Fiael
evident to who?
other physicists?
10 year olds?
agriculturists in the gobi desert?

Rationally thinking humans, which by your response, you've only convinced me more that you are excluded from.
putting aside your ad hom for just a moment to focus on the actual issue, are the claims of science (like for instance the chart I posted) verifiable to persons, even rationally thinking ones (I am sure you can find rational thinking persons amongst the tribes of the gobi desert and ten year olds), bereft of the necessary prerequisites (like say chemistry and physics)
:D

all such footnoting means absolutely nothing to persons of two of the above three categories.

You can't be serious. OF COURSE IT MEANS NOTHING TO THEM, and we wouldn't consider them very intellectually developed, now would we? Do you?
Because when I say "we", i mean rational people, and as I've said, you seem to be trying really hard to distance yourself from being associated with this kind.
my point is that all knowledge is verified/confirmed by persons who are adequately versed in the theory and practice that surrounds it - if you think otherwise, please provide an example

For example, can you tell me where the error lies in this diagram?

wtf, mate? Completely insane and irrelevant.
then according to your statements

Rationally thinking humans, which by your response, you've only convinced me more that you are excluded from.

it appears that you have just excluded yourself
:D

outside of faith do you have any guarantee that what you are reading at the moment in the name of science will not fail such a test

Yes I do, it's the evidence of the success and honesty of science that has been proven over and over and over and over again throughout centuries of doubtful observers like yourself. It's completely outside of faith. But don't take my word for it, preach what you talk; go do a scientific testing of these things, I'm sure that you will at once be satisfied in excluding faith as the perpetrator.
then why was newton's theories superseded?

err?
what evidence does a person have access to in physics if they are not a qualified physicist?

You might as well ask what evidence does a non-epidemiologist have concerning something like how not washing your hands increases the risk of you getting a disease. Or, "Why in the world should I listen to my doctor? I'm taking what he says to be true on faith!"? You wouldn't listen to these experts simply because you think it is a matter of faith? You'd seriously rush confidently into a house where the bubonic plague is rampant and be fully expectant not get infected all because you fail to see how others aren't doing so just 'out of faith'? That, sir, makes you officially stupid.
generally people don't see people dropping dead or getting chronically sick yet they still accept the words of their doctor.

generally people don't seriously investigate the success rate of the repairs of their local car mechanic yet they still take their car there to get repaired.

generally people do not go to university to become even partially conversant with law when they run into legal difficulties, yet immediately consult a solicitor.

so to get back to the issue that you didn't address, what evidence does a person have access to in determining the validity/falsity of claims in physics?
(surely if you advocate such a view, it would be easy for you to find the error in the chart I posted - its not like you can say "I cannot say because I am not properly versed in chemistry", especially if you don't want to violate the standards of being "rational" that you established earlier

and that tremendous body of scientific evidence is validated/falsified by who?
scientists?
10 year olds?
agriculturists in the gobi desert?

See my first response to your equally as ignorant, yet exponentially more annoying set of questions.
still can't find the error on the chart eh?
what does that make you then?

truly you are a man of faith

If it was questionable before, it's incontrovertibly apparent now; you truly are a person of absolute unabashed ignorance.
if its "automatic" just find the error on the chart, doofus.

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
religion works on a similar foundation - there are claims not only of direct perception of god but also claims of how to come to the position of direct perception

You seem to be incapable of recognizing that science provides hard evidence while religion provides only personal interpretation. For example, of "direct perception", of "god", even of "how to come to the position of direct perception". There is NO objective grounds upon all religions can test the validity of their opinions; in science, THERE IS.
are we having the same conversation?

religion works on a similar foundation - there are claims not only of direct perception of god but also claims of how to come to the position of direct perception

thats because empiricism is not capable of making absolute claims (since its foundation, human sense perception, is not absolute)
If you enter into discussion about god who has sensory powers capable of the creation, maintenance and annihilation of many millions of universes, obviously the foundations are quite different

Even if you choose to ignore my earlier point which completely deteriorates this argument into ash, I can still show you an inconsistency in what you've just said concerning what is bolded:

You come to these conclusions via empiricism, even rationalism (the opposite of empiricism) is grounded in empirical soil, i.e. your mind, a sense organ. If you are claiming that by empiricism, science is incapable of making absolute claims, then you are subject to that incapability yourself, concerning your conclusions.

Furthermore, if god's sensory powers, and entire being for that matter, is so above us as humans, then how by that conclusion are you able to say what you say about him at all, even reject what I have to say about him? It's pots and kettles.
i am not talking about that - I am talking about classical empiricism, which holds that anything that is real can be demonstrated to the senses (in other words is ultimately reducible to material components)

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
scientific fact is drawn up between two (or more) perceptible phenomena - hence scientific fact is falsifiable and testable.

(1) You are very wrong on this, and (2) I could just as easily turn your cross hairs on yourself by saying that you take this on faith. I won't because it's pointless stupidity, something which you seem to have no problem being a proponent of.
once again, to momentarily put aside your remarkable talent for ad homming, science (the empirical variety) is about drawing connections between two or more perceptible phenomena ("cause" and "effect") - remember, we are talking of science and not Isaac Asimov

scientific theory is something that remains on the platform of hypothesis because there is not sufficient perception of phenomena to make it either falsifiable or testable

Once again, completely false by all standards. Go to Wikipedia or something. Heck, visit a 3rd grade science class for that matter. I'm not going to waste breath arguing the same points I've been making over and over in hopes that this time, you might look outside of your narrowly-scoped opinions.
how do you propose to falsify/validate something that has either a cause or effect beyond your sense perception (feel free to call on the resources of all the grade 3's in the universe)

I mean empiricism in the classical sense (a sense that is the foundation of material reductionism) - namely the accepting that all phenomena can ultimately be reduced to combinations of material observations

such a view point rules out the notion that there exists a consciousness superior to ours - namely god - (and of course coming into contact with that superior consciousness enables a different type of perception than what one could otherwise muster)

(bolding mine)

Right, but for good reasons. There IS NOTHING that hints at said realm,
there is nothing that hints that consciousness is materially reducible, so its not clear why you advocate a POV that denies the existence of this possibility (unless its simply an issue of faith)

and there IS NOTHING supporting your claim of its existence.
ditto here buddy
I also find it extremely suspicious to say the least that these alleged supernatural realms are interactive only to those who have already assumed that it is there. Research the self-fulfilling prophecy.
sorry thats just the way knowledge works - if you want to understand physics, it is best to study and abide by the foundations of physics - if you want to understand transcendental knowledge, it is best to abide by the foundations of transcendental knowledge - it seems you don't so much have an issue with god/religion but instead have issues with how knowledge works
OF COURSE it's going to seem like to you that materialism is missing something, you've already assumed the supernatural to be there.
Of COURSE you are going to assume that transcendental knowledge is false, since you assume that material reductionism has all bases covered
I could do the same thing you're doing very easily. I could assume a realm beyond the supernatural, the meta-supernatural say, and then by that declaration, claim that your notion rules out the possibility of my imagined realm and that it is therefore insufficient.
then your next challenge would be to provide normative descriptions to validate that claim

Even if there WAS any good reason to base our lives assuming the possibility of a higher intelligence supervises us in some higher realm, which is what I see as a serious superfluous addendum to our understanding of the world, how would that necessarily make it God?
when you come to the point of investigating the relationship between matter and this superior consciousness, the misunderstanding is cleared up

(of course the assumption that there is nothing superior to matter, even "god-like" intelligences, is a fundamental principle of material reductionism .... accepted purely on faith of course)

not unless there are persons who have slogged it out through the rigors of academia to do the weeding, as you previously alluded to ....

People who havn't slogged it out through the rigors of academia are weeded out of the prodedure themselves, as they would stick out like a sore thumb amongst the countless number who independantly varify a piece of science.

Last edited:
People who slogged it out through the rigors of academia are weeded out of the prodedure themselves, as they would stick out like a sore thumb amongst the countless number who independantly varify a piece of science.
interesting

who are these persons who independently verify a piece of science?

(in my experience they are usually required to have the credentials of having slogged it out through the rigors of academia - quite a far cry from "automatic knowledge" ....)

interesting

who are these persons who independently verify a piece of science?

(in my experience they are usually required to have the credentials of having slogged it out through the rigors of academia - quite a far cry from "automatic knowledge" ....)
Huh???
Are you purposely not getting the point? It's a simple point im sure a kid of 8 could easily grasp.

Huh???
Are you purposly not getting the point? It's a simple point im sure a kid of 8 could easily grasp.

yes it is quite simple.
If you think that science is verified/falsified by persons/bodies who don't have academic credentials just provide their names and we can investigate this claim.

If you think that science is verified/falsified by persons/bodies who don't have academic credentials just provide their names and we can investigate this claim.
I'll try again.....

On the contrary I think it's practically impossible for work falsified by persons who dont have academic credentials to make it through the countless repetition of scientists around the world.

I'll try again.....

On the contrary I think it's practically impossible for work falsified by persons who dont have academic credentials to make it through the countless repetition of scientists around the world.

then ....

Originally Posted by GhostofMaxwell.
Yes, it is automatic because dishonesty will invariably be weeded out by the process.

... it is not "automatic" since the "weeding" is carried out by persons with academic credentials (in other words physicists examine the claims of other physicists, as opposed to historians examining the claims of physicists etc etc)

the question is, if it is true that even mundane science is investigated by people who have met the prerequisites of science, why is it that atheists often assume that their opinions about the nature of god are valid when they ar ehard pressed to even theoretically understand what the prerequisites of theistic knowledge are, much less practice them .... how is this situation different from say a garbage collector talking about physics?

the question is, if it is true that even mundane science is investigated by people who have met the prerequisites of science, why is it that atheists often assume that their opinions about the nature of god are valid when they ar ehard pressed to even theoretically understand what the prerequisites of theistic knowledge are, much less practice them .... how is this situation different from say a garbage collector talking about physics?

Those involved in the scientific process have degrees and phd's, a garbage collector will not last 5 minutes without falling flat on his face and being shown the door. Unless, of course, he had a Physics degree.

then why was newton's theories superseded?

Newton's theories were superseded because honest scientists found out that what he had presented wasn't the whole truth. They were able to test this tangibly and come to a unanimous and universal recognition that this was the case. The point is that for somebody with a biased tie with Newton's theories who didn't want them to be superseded, it would be a virtual impossibility to hold up Newton's findings as the dominant theory in the face of the rest of the scientific community. Refining is automatic in science, this is what GhostofMaxwell has been saying as well.

generally people don't see people dropping dead or getting chronically sick yet they still accept the words of their doctor.

generally people don't seriously investigate the success rate of the repairs of their local car mechanic yet they still take their car there to get repaired.

generally people do not go to university to become even partially conversant with law when they run into legal difficulties, yet immediately consult a solicitor.

so to get back to the issue that you didn't address, what evidence does a person have access to in determining the validity/falsity of claims in physics?
(surely if you advocate such a view, it would be easy for you to find the error in the chart I posted - its not like you can say "I cannot say because I am not properly versed in chemistry", especially if you don't want to violate the standards of being "rational" that you established earlier

Let's get back to the issue that you addressed, of which all these issues are subsequent to, including the issue I apparently "didn't address": you think that by reading a scientific journal, a reader is taking the findings on faith. In the examples you gave, you would say that the patient is taking the word of the doctor on faith; that the driver, by taking his/her car to the mechanic, is having faith in the mechanic's abilities. MY POINT, that you so contradictorily ask for then ignore, is that these are not instances of faith, and neither is the scenario with the scientist; these acceptances are derived from common sense. If a doctor said to a particular patient, "You will not drop dead because of this illness," then drops dead soon after because of that illness, it's safe to say no rational person would go to that doctor without hesitation. If a mechanic returned a car to a customer only to have it break down before leaving the lot, that customer most likely wouldn't return to that mechanic.

This is analogous to the grounds upon which the scientific community's honesty is gained and reinforced constantly; it is done through common sense derived from a collective consciousness that has proven itself to be trustworthy on objective and universal terms, NOT faith. Gah, it's amazing how you can't wrap your mind around this concept.

still can't find the error on the chart eh?
what does that make you then?

if its "automatic" just find the error on the chart, doofus.

I apologize for my insults, it's just that you beg them so easily. Of course I can't find the error in the chart, as you said, I'm not up to speed in that area of study. I could show you thousands of diagrams where you don't know what is going on either. That's entirely aside the point though (hence "wtf mate, completely irrelevant"); if I were to take that chart seriously, then I would first get the expert analysis of several different scientists who would be able to explain to me via objective processes and in layman terms what is wrong with it (if there's anything wrong with it in the first place) before ever claiming to know the answer to your insidious question.

are we having the same conversation?

We are having the same conversation, but you insist on bending it into a circle. I've already fully provided sufficient commentary on this trite statement of yours-- bolding it, underlining it, resizing it, and coloring it will not make your sentence any more meaningful. (But look on the bright side, it can't make it less either, for it is already vacuous of relevance.)

i am not talking about that - I am talking about classical empiricism, which holds that anything that is real can be demonstrated to the senses (in other words is ultimately reducible to material components)

Don't try to verbally acrobat yourself out of the ring via an apparently dramatic difference in what versions of empiricism we're talking about, my points still rest easy.

Out of curiosity though, can you tell me of anything that is real that can't be demonstrated to the senses?

how do you propose to falsify/validate something that has either a cause or effect beyond your sense perception (feel free to call on the resources of all the grade 3's in the universe)

EXACTLY. Science is a universal account of sense perception, hence it is collectively applicable; it absolves the problem of possible a cause and effect scenario that MY UNIQUE sense perception interprets differently, cannot go, or hasn't gone yet. The only rebuttal I can imagine to this would be to question the validity of our sense perceptions (and hence our objective processes of acquiring this universal account) in the first place. But EVEN IF we are ALL wrong and faulty in our sense perceptions from some metaphysical perspective, then this doesn't debase said collective account because it is what we have to work under.

Another point of mine you've reinforced with your statement is that the metaphysical realm that you are so adamant about imagining would by definition be beyond our sense perception. So, if you are undervaluing our entire sensory input concerning THIS realm (which you are not doing a very good job of), you have done exponentially more so with your metaphysical realm.

there is nothing that hints that consciousness is materially reducible, so its not clear why you advocate a POV that denies the existence of this possibility (unless its simply an issue of faith)

A perfect example of you smearing someone else's knowledge about something that you don't know about as "faith"; THERE IS PLENTY that hints that consciousness is materially reducible. PLENTY. Go do some research on quantum mechanics and the brain.

sorry thats just the way knowledge works - if you want to understand physics, it is best to study and abide by the foundations of physics - if you want to understand transcendental knowledge, it is best to abide by the foundations of transcendental knowledge - it seems you don't so much have an issue with god/religion but instead have issues with how knowledge works

But that's the problem right there; transcendental knowledge. Physics has an origin of study which its roots are firmly planted in (the material realm), while transcendental study, once again by definition, finds its roots in whatever and wherever the scholar wishes to derive it from. Sorry, that's just the way reality works. (That last sentence was a jibe using your own words, I would never myself apologize for the way something works unless it was something I knew the other person couldn't agree with because they were made up by my own terms.)

Of COURSE you are going to assume that transcendental knowledge is false, since you assume that material reductionism has all bases covered

It takes much more assumption to envision a metaphysical existence and deny the obvious and tangible world we operate in than it would for me to assume against that, were I assuming in the first place. I'm not assuming anything, I'm simply deriving from rationality and evidence.

Once again, as far as I can tell, the materialistic view does all of reality covered. You have yet to convince me even slightly otherwise.

then your next challenge would be to provide normative descriptions to validate that claim

Exactly, which is why I brought up the scenario; you can't provide normative descriptions to validate my claim, and the same goes for your claim of your imagined metaphysical realm.

Reductionism in your sense is somebody who attempts to explain complicated things directly in terms of the smallest parts, ignoring the whole. Reductionism in my sense of the word is synonymous with an honest desire to understand how things work, the whole being tackled only after the prerequisite smaller understandings are firmly in place.

Last edited:
Lightgigantic,

I think you may be confusing faith with merely taking things firmly established for granted. I hope that observation clears things up.

Last edited:
Those involved in the scientific process have degrees and phd's, a garbage collector will not last 5 minutes without falling flat on his face and being shown the door. Unless, of course, he had a Physics degree.

Hmm and how would you know that?

garbage_dil.gif

Back