What good had Christianity done to the world since 2000 years ago?

OH yeah I read it beginning to end. to the point I even started seeing signs of the second coming. It really does read like a horoscope. all vague and stuff so you can apply any parable to a modern day phenomenon. I always thought it would make an awesome horror flick. I liked the movie Seven Signs. There was a guy in a mental hospital, hey i had a breakdown due to abuse at home, that was reading the bible. He was freaking out so I peaked to see what part of the bible he was reading. Revelations. So I questioned the staff about the wisdom of having such books available to the mentally unstable. They just looked at me like "Why are YOU here?" I was sent home hours later.
I avoid Revelations for similar reasons. Revelations is very unnerving and stirs my imagination in ways I don't like.

I do like other parts of the Bible. John 1, 2:9 "2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now."
It just seems so appropriate as I ask myself why do I look at this forum.

I avoid Revelations for similar reasons. Revelations is very unnerving and stirs my imagination in ways I don't like.
Wait, in religion you get to pick and choose what you follow and what you don't?
Sounds nifty.
Why can't scientific principles be more like that?
I do like other parts of the Bible. John 1, 2:9 "2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now."
It just seems so appropriate as I ask myself why do I look at this forum.
Considering the hate you often direct at atheists, one wonders, indeed.

What will Christianity do to the world in the next 2000 years? (if the world still exists :D)

Since the secular vision of the universe finally drove out the religious one

Given that the secular vision tends to be formulated as an opposition, a rebellion to religion, said secular vision is still shaped by religion.
Just like revolution is shaped by the political option it opposes; and thus the revolution keeps the outlook of the political option it opposes alive, even if in the form of negating it.

A truly advanced way of thinking would be one that offers a truly new perspective on things, a perspective that isn't shaped simply as being the opposition or rebellion to the old perspective.

Since the secular vision of the universe finally drove out the religious one, numerous acheivements have been made. Scientific breakthroughs. Art. Politics. Philosophy. Literature. Music. All the fruits of the Enlightment can be chalked up to our liberation from the dungeon of a theistic universe. Do we really need to list all that science has accomplished in the past 400 years?

Oh, and Beethoven believed in God.
And, obviously, Bach, without whom we wouldn't have the music that we have.

Oh, and Beethoven believed in God.
And, obviously, Bach, without whom we wouldn't have the music that we have.

One thing here: Whether or not someone believed or disbelieved and did great things unrelated to that belief may not be very relevant.

Just because a composer believed in God, doesn't mean that belief directly contributed to his amazing works. After all, Carl Sagan also did amazing works and he did not believe in God.
They did the work of the merit of the work, not because of their religious affiliation or lack of it.

Wait, in religion you get to pick and choose what you follow and what you don't? Sounds nifty.
Why can't scientific principles be more like that?
We are all ignorant of the laws of physics. We always have been and we always will be.
Considering the hate you often direct at atheists, one wonders, indeed.
It took a passage from the Bible to call my attention to it.

One thing here: Whether or not someone believed or disbelieved and did great things unrelated to that belief may not be very relevant. Just because a composer believed in God, doesn't mean that belief directly contributed to his amazing works. After all, Carl Sagan also did amazing works and he did not believe in God. They did the work of the merit of the work, not because of their religious affiliation or lack of it.
To tell you the truth, Carl Sagan never resonated with me. His writings always felt flat and uninspired.

Maybe in the future, atheism will destroy Christianity and replace it. Atheists don't have the passion to commit atrocities in the name of science. But they could get Christians (religious folks) fired from their jobs.

Wrong. Hitler was a strong atheist and commited atrocities in the name of science and eugenics. So in pretty much every way, atheists have pretty much already destroyed Christianity.

I say this because there only are very few true Christians left in the world today.

Hitler was never an atheist, sorry.

Was Hitler an atheist as some Christians say he was? Hitler's own words make this claim rather dubious. Scholars are still unsure whether or not Adolf Hitler was a believing Christian or just a politically cunning theist, but what is certain however is there is no evidence he was an atheist. This page documents some of his religious views, as he personally described them. Articles which examine the evidence in further detail can be found at the bottom of the page.
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/quotes_hitler.html

One thing here: Whether or not someone believed or disbelieved and did great things unrelated to that belief may not be very relevant.

Just because a composer believed in God, doesn't mean that belief directly contributed to his amazing works. After all, Carl Sagan also did amazing works and he did not believe in God.
They did the work of the merit of the work, not because of their religious affiliation or lack of it.

Except that Beethoven himself believed that God inspired him to write the music he did.

See "Beethoven: sein Leben in Selbstzeugnissen, Briefen und Berichten" by Stephan Ley (Wien; Berlin: P.Neff, [1970])

How can you possibly know that?

Wrong. Hitler was a strong atheist and commited atrocities in the name of science and eugenics.

Hitler was never an atheist, sorry.

Sheesh.

You want to place one of the greatest - even if darkest - masterminds, political strategists of the last millennia into a neat little category like "atheist" or "theist"?

Arguably, every text that the Nazis have left behind is layered and layered with political strategy and propaganda, so to try to make conclusions about what they really thought is a bit naive, to say the least.

You don't make conclusions about peoples thoughts(the subjective). You make conclusions, from the actual evidence available(the objective).

Hitler may have been a number of things, but he most certainly was not an atheist, simply from the evidence available.

If he was he kept it very well hidden, as there is no evidence to indicate he was.

And incidentally I don't want to place him anywhere. I was just correcting a mistake.

Given that the secular vision tends to be formulated as an opposition, a rebellion to religion, said secular vision is still shaped by religion.
Just like revolution is shaped by the political option it opposes; and thus the revolution keeps the outlook of the political option it opposes alive, even if in the form of negating it.

A truly advanced way of thinking would be one that offers a truly new perspective on things, a perspective that isn't shaped simply as being the opposition or rebellion to the old perspective.

A secular vision doesn't rebel against religion at all. It simply doesn't think about it. Just like it doesn't think about other magical beings like mermaids, unicorns, leprachauns, or devils. It isn't "rebelling" against magical beings. It is simply viewing the universe as it is without them. We call that sanity.

Back