What do atheists think that "to know God" means?

lightgigantic

what aspects of atheism permit life to be subject to something beyond aging, illness and death or environments not dependent on issues of unpredictability and chaos?

Nothing that lives is "beyond" those things. Got any evidence that they are?

so now you are rescinding to the notion that there is no theistic world view either?

Nope, not that there are none, but that I can tell you nothing about what they are(besides being theistic)by just knowing you're a theist, as you can tell nothing about mine if all you know is I am not a theist.

That's beside the point - its a fundamental of a theistic world view

Not all theistic views believe in an afterlife. Judaism is one of them(though they have sects that do), Buddhists don't, some of those are atheists, some believe in reincarnation on this Earth, the Shinto religion has no gods, but they worship their ancestors, they're kind of so-so on whether they still exist, it's more an honor thing. Confuchism is more Zen, it's about living your life morally in this life, they don't worry about the next one. There are many, many more(I've got a big book of gods and religions)that do not have the concept of an afterlife or Paradise. India is a religious mess, I think they have even lost track of how many gods and goddesses they have, even cows are sacred there, as are certain tribes of monkeys. China has myriad "Old Gods". Norse gods are an ongoing soap opera. And that's all before the Roman, Greek and Egyptian pantheons are considered. The Aztecs had living and mythical gods and the best a peon could hope for was not to be tortured to death or have their living heart ripped from their chest, no afterlife for you.

can you think of any atheistic world view that doesn't promote a modus operandi under the auspices of "we exist in a a state of dependence on the phenomenal world (which has no sentient directive)."?

If not, we are well on the way to eking out the atheist world view.

Answered that in my last post, your still building strawmen.

Grumpy:cool:

lightgigantic

Nothing that lives is "beyond" those things. Got any evidence that they are?
reiterating the atheist world view isn't really an answer to the question .... or maybe it is

Nope, not that there are none, but that I can tell you nothing about what they are(besides being theistic)by just knowing you're a theist, as you can tell nothing about mine if all you know is I am not a theist.
bizarre

how can you declare them as being theistic if you can't attribute any value/ quality to the term?

Not all theistic views believe in an afterlife. (snip)

I believe this was the principle you were trying to evade as being intrinsic to the theistic world view

"We exist in a state of dependence on god in a world operating under his directives "

nothing there about the after life

Answered that in my last post, your still building strawmen.

The only straws are the ones you are desperately clutching to avoid giving a straight answer to :

can you think of any atheistic world view that doesn't promote a modus operandi under the auspices of "we exist in a a state of dependence on the phenomenal world (which has no sentient directive)."?

:eek:

and you know this how?

BTW you just established an interesting dichotomy between life and inanimate objects ... at least as far as the atheist world view (that consciousness arises from inanimate objects) is concerned

I didn't mean to imply that the boundary between living and non-living is that clear. Certainly many inanimate things are subject to aging and one might say death (of a star for instance). Matter itself is relatively permanent, but it's particular forms (life, snowflakes) are not.

I didn't mean to imply that the boundary between living and non-living is that clear. Certainly many inanimate things are subject to aging and one might say death (of a star for instance). Matter itself is relatively permanent, but it's particular forms (life, snowflakes) are not.
Interesting.

So what makes a star or snowflake subject to death and a chair not?
Or are you suggesting that chairs too can die?

How about napkins?

lightgigantic

all good introductory material for the hubris that surrounds ideas of abiogenisis

As opposed to the hubris of attributing everything to magic? It is evidence, got any?

“ Yes, everything that has ever lived on Earth has died or will soon die, if it left no progeny we call them extinct. Almost all forms of life that have lived on Earth are now extinct.

Grumpy ”

hence the...

everyone .... is simply subject, to aging, illness and death

of the ....

(belief) that the universe, and everyone and everything in it, is chaotic, unpredictable, irregular, irrational, that there is no one in charge, and that everyone and everything is simply subject, to aging, illness and death, and that this is all there is to existence.

in the atheistic world view

I answered this non-sense several posts back. The Universe is not chaotic, unpredictable, irregular or irrational, this is a strawman you are using, but it also isn't directed by all the evidence. Every living thing ever to exist died or will die soon. It's just a simple fact, obvious to anyone actually in touch with this world. Death is as much a part of life as birth. You will die, it's garaunteed. Whether you live to get old or suffer disease is not so certain. You might be a teenager in perfect health who jogs out in front of a bus(how's that for Chaos). Whether that is all there is, I don't know(and neither do you), but I don't buy it and think it's just a tool of control of ignorant people by the church/state. A control they still try today(but people are not as ignorant as they used to be, it doesn't work as well).

lightgigantic

Nothing that lives is "beyond" those things. Got any evidence that they are? ”

reiterating the atheist world view isn't really an answer to the question .... or maybe it is

So, no, you have none. Check.

how can you declare them as being theistic if you can't attribute any value/ quality to the term?

But I can say one thing about a theist, he believes in a god of some sort. And you can say one thing about an atheist, he does not.

Not all theistic views believe in an afterlife. (snip) ”

I believe this was the principle you were trying to evade as being intrinsic to the theistic world view
There's quite a few things one say to encompass all this. One that comes to mind is "We exist in a state of dependence on god in a world operating under his directives " ”

I think that is an empty claim with no evidence of it's veracity.

I think that is an empty claim with no evidence of it's veracity. ”

That's beside the point - its a fundamental of a theistic world view

Not all theistic views believe in an afterlife. (snip) ”

Your reading comprehension or your short term memory seem to need repair, or were you just stuffing straw again?

Interesting.

So what makes a star or snowflake subject to death and a chair not?
Death means the end of something, and that something is defined solely by the language we use to describe it. Naming is the origin of all things, as they say in the Tao Te Ching. We use the word star to mean a region of space filled by matter acting in a particular way, generating heat and light. When it stops doing that, it never really goes away, but changes form. In the same way, our matter is immortal, but at some point, it stops "humaning". We don't say a chair is dead, but that's only a cultural convention, since it didn't do much in life. That would be different if we had chairs with complex behaviors that could be halted in a non repairable way.

lightgigantic:

I'm not sure how you can say that when its the precise distinction between the atheist and theist world view is about what things can be predicted/ anticipated eg - abiogenesis vs divine creation, eternal oblivion vs afterlife etc etc

Abiogenesis is not a theistic or atheistic thing. Life had to start somehow. God, if he exists, could have created life from non-life - abiogenesis.

What have afterlives got to do with God, by the way?

Small differences in initial conditions (such as those due to rounding errors in numerical computation) yield widely diverging outcomes... [snip]

Yes, I'm familiar with chaos theory. Relevance?

It seems to be the regular tool of anyone offering an explanation of a universe bereft of sentient orchestration.

Chaos theory is a science. It is a fact of life, whether you're a theist or an atheist. It has been empirically verified.

Can you think of any other explanation that operates out of the exclusive denial of the universe being created, maintained and ultimately destroyed by a divine intelligence?

Explanation for what?

If the universe hadn't accidentally formed in such a manner to accidentally form our solar system to accidentally place the planets and sun in certain format with an accidental moon at an accidental angle, the raw ingredients for life would not have accidentally manifested to accidentally give rise to life that would evolve (by accident of course) to the myriad of creatures that we see accidentally displayed before us.

IOW the further you go back in evidencing the necessary conditions and consequences of these said accidents, the more controversial, murkier and more reliant on hearsay they become.

No. It's a simple matter of probabilities and large numbers. In this case, small probabilities of any particular planet being in the goldilocks zone of its star and so on, combined with a vast number of planets in the universe.

Did you know that one-in-a-million chances happen to about 300 Americans every day? Small probabilities and large numbers. See?

"that there is no one in charge, and that everyone and everything is simply subject, to aging, illness and death, and that this is all there is to existence."

was abbreviated in your response as an "etc", which is unfortunate since these very things which would mandate a necessary condition for god.

Having somebody in charge of the universe as a whole certainly would require a God. I'm not sure why you think illness, aging and death requires a God. Also, I'm not sure why you think atheists think the things you mention are "all there is to existence".

I went on further to say that if you have someone in charge, then you also have a cause that is neither chaotic, arbitrary and unpredictable (since all subsequent causes are prescribed to the said personality ... unless you want to undercut the definition and say that he is not really in charge but really just a pawn in the well understood forces of unpredictability that governs our everyday lives)

But you said yourself that many processes in the universe are chaotic, didn't you? Where, then, does that leave your God?

Also, I'm not sure why you think atheists think the things you mention are "all there is to existence".

I know that the couple hundred or so buddhist atheists I've met certainly don't think that's all there is to existence.

lightgigantic:

Abiogenesis is not a theistic or atheistic thing. Life had to start somehow. God, if he exists, could have created life from non-life - abiogenesis.
three points

1. technically abiogenesis is about the spontaneous generation of life from lifeless matter.
IOW life coming from life is not abiogenesis

2. You don't find any theistic theories propounding life being created by any living entity aside from god (compared to the numerous atheistic theories propounding how it can be done)
IOW its accepted as a unique quality of god (as opposed to some process one simply has to nut out)

3. If you are writing off god creating life as abiogenesis you are simply begging the question since that then leaves us with the question of god's existence

So the atheist is anticipating/predicting that life can be shown to spontaneously arise from matter is certainly distinct from the theist anticipating/predicting that it is completely in god's domain

What have afterlives got to do with God, by the way?
If one anticipates a state of existence that isn't simply a continuation of more grist for the mill, quite a lot it seems

Even if you are talking about atheists anticipating a next life (ie buddhists) its certainly not the end game they have in mind .... which kind of makes their views of nirvana (nir- no, vana - variety) remarkably similar to the eternal oblivion anticipated by their more mainstream brothers

Yes, I'm familiar with chaos theory. Relevance?

Chaos theory is a science. It is a fact of life, whether you're a theist or an atheist. It has been empirically verified.
So I am not sure why you are so puzzled by the role it is given in ideas of how life the universe and everything can generate spontaneously

Explanation for what?

(at the risk of composing a tautology ...)

Can you think of any other explanation (of a universe bereft of sentient orchestration that doesn't have the drama unfold on the backdrop of chaos) that operates out of the exclusive denial of the universe being created, maintained and ultimately destroyed by a divine intelligence?

No. It's a simple matter of probabilities and large numbers. In this case, small probabilities of any particular planet being in the goldilocks zone of its star and so on, combined with a vast number of planets in the universe.

Did you know that one-in-a-million chances happen to about 300 Americans every day? Small probabilities and large numbers. See?
I am no sure exactly what you are saying "no" to and trying to discuss here.

Earlier you seemed to disagree that the atheist world view of life, the universe and everything has at its core the idea of a serendipitous navigation of infinite opportunities in an eternal time frame to engineer the current paradigms of order we see displayed before us ... but here you seem quite happy to accept them.

Or maybe the "no" was about not accepting that ideas about scenarios that shaped the current consequences as we know them becomes more murkier the further one travels down the chain of cause and effect (like for instance the guess work that surrounds what the earth's atmosphere was like several billion years ago, which in turn supports the guess work about how it would accommodate organic compounds which are guessed to be the prerequisite for life spontaneously forming from matter ... which is also a guess btw)

Having somebody in charge of the universe as a whole certainly would require a God. I'm not sure why you think illness, aging and death requires a God.
its more that having god provides an alternative to being subject to illness, aging and death as "all there is to existence"
Also, I'm not sure why you think atheists think the things you mention are "all there is to existence".
I'm in the process of trying to discuss with a fellow atheist what aspects of life are not subject to illness, aging and death.

Feel free to add your contributions

But you said yourself that many processes in the universe are chaotic, didn't you? Where, then, does that leave your God?
I'm not sure you understand.

I said that atheists call upon the many chaotic processes in the universe as an alternative to god.

I brought this up to clarify key differences between what the atheist and theist world view anticipates/predicts since you made the comment that atheism says nothing about the universe and predicts/anticipates nothing.

Death means the end of something, and that something is defined solely by the language we use to describe it. Naming is the origin of all things, as they say in the Tao Te Ching. We use the word star to mean a region of space filled by matter acting in a particular way, generating heat and light. When it stops doing that, it never really goes away, but changes form. In the same way, our matter is immortal, but at some point, it stops "humaning". We don't say a chair is dead, but that's only a cultural convention, since it didn't do much in life. That would be different if we had chairs with complex behaviors that could be halted in a non repairable way.

SG -OK, I'm probably over thinking it. In general yes, everything is subject to aging at the very least, and chaos reigns.

LG -which aspects of life are not subject to illness and death?

SG -Inanimate objects.

Still not clear whether you think inanimate objects can die.

I mean what is it precisely that a star is doing that a chair is not.

At what point does the mass of an inanimate object enable a sufficient display of energy to be categorized as having the capacity to die?

Also you were saying earlier ....

Originally Posted by spidergoat
Fortunately yes. If you can't get old and die you weren't really alive in the first place.

Is it the inability of a chair to get old and die that disqualifies it from having the opportunity to live?

l

Your reading comprehension or your short term memory seem to need repair, or were you just stuffing straw again?

on the contrary it seems you can't manage to navigate a discussion about world views without thinking it is somehow requires evidence.

The irony, if you want to take such a stance as a prerequisite for an existing world view, being you don't have one.

For instance you posted a link about a meteorite and said it was evidence for abiogenesis.
I posted a link from a professional in the field who explains precisely why that meteorite is not only not evidence but why the subject of abiogenesis is completely shrouded in theory.

The fact that you can go on for pages ad nauseum about how there is no evidence for god and how we have ideas of how life can spontaneously develop etc (ideas that aren't evidenced of course) that effectively fulfill any necessity for god etc is not a sign of a scientific mind or the "real" world or whatever.

Its simply your (non-evidenced) (atheistic) world view.

Not that the fact that your world view is not evidenced suddenly renders it non-existent or whatever .... quite frankly if you can't understand how evidence doesn't preclude a world view you need to catch up on some research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_view

SG -OK, I'm probably over thinking it. In general yes, everything is subject to aging at the very least, and chaos reigns.

LG -which aspects of life are not subject to illness and death?

SG -Inanimate objects.

Still not clear whether you think inanimate objects can die.

At what point does the mass of an inanimate object enable a sufficient display of energy to be categorized as having the capacity to die?

Also you were saying earlier ....

Originally Posted by spidergoat
Fortunately yes. If you can't get old and die you weren't really alive in the first place.

Is it the inability of a chair to get old and die that disqualifies it from having the opportunity to live?
It all depends on how you want to define the words death and life. It's semantics. But according to our arbitrary human rules, for something to die, it must first be considered a separate thing, and undergo some kind of active process, either metabolism, or information processing, or nuclear fusion, or possibly just supporting your ass when you sit. But as a chair's process isn't that complex, it would be a stretch to say it can die. But, it's all a matter of definition, the origin of all particular things.

lightgigantic

For instance you posted a link about a meteorite and said it was evidence for abiogenesis.

It is evidence that the building blocks of life(amino acids)were available at the time in many millions of forms. It only takes one combination of these chemicals that is able to reproduce itself by assembling these building blocks from it's environment for evolution to begin. And on the surface of the Earth many quadrillions of such attempts happen every hour of every day of every year. It only has to happen once. Given the right conditions, life seems inevitable, not unlikely(that's a scientific conclusion, not an atheistic one).

The irony, if you want to take such a stance as a prerequisite for an existing world view, being you don't have one.

I have a worldview, you just cannot tell us anything about it other than it is not theistic in nature if all you know is that I am an atheist. You are too busy constructing strawmen to understand that simple idea(which is true).

I posted a link from a professional in the field who explains precisely why that meteorite is not only not evidence but why the subject of abiogenesis is completely shrouded in theory.

What you posted(after, no doubt frantic googling)is old news, what I posted was what was going into the latest issue of Scientific American about a REEXAMINATION of the meteorite in question. Try to catch up to the 2012s, science doesn't stand still, we learn more every day. Just like modern DNA testing can lead to very different legal conclusions, a modern test that did not exist when your cite was written can give you better knowledge.

The fact that you can go on for pages ad nauseum about how there is no evidence for god

Got any? You admitted above that you didn't. Got something new?

and how we have ideas of how life can spontaneously develop etc (ideas that aren't evidenced of course)

So you don't even know what evidence is(and you had just mentioned my evidence of organic molecules from a meteorite). Evidence is the facts you find when you look into a question, ideas are hypotheses to explain that evidence which you then test, if the idea fails you modify or discard it, if it passes the test it is a basis for other ideas. If it passes enough tests it is considered a theory supported by the evidence.

that effectively fulfill any necessity for god etc

What's god got to do with it? You don't use "And then a miracle occurred" in any scientific formulation if god is not evidenced, that whole Occam's Razor thing.

Its simply your (non-evidenced) (atheistic) world view

But you know nothing about what my worldview is, except it doesn't include a god. I could think that aliens planted a garden, but then you have the same infinite regression problem that you currently have with god, IE who/what made the aliens/god, who/what made that,...

Not that the fact that your world view is not evidenced suddenly renders it non-existent or whatever .... quite frankly if you can't understand how evidence doesn't preclude a world view you need to catch up on some research.

I have never claimed that god(whatever that means)does not exist BECAUSE I understand evidence. And my worldview is entirely supported by evidence even if my conclusion about the existence of any god is that he most probably doesn't exist. It's not certain, just most probable.

Fusing Hydrogen? Radiating enormous energy? Losing mass at a billion tons per second? When a star goes supernova it ceases to exist as a star, though it may leave a cooling corpse behind.

1. technically abiogenesis is about the spontaneous generation of life from lifeless matter.
IOW life coming from life is not abiogenesis

Yep.

2. You don't find any theistic theories propounding life being created by any living entity aside from god (compared to the numerous atheistic theories propounding how it can be done)

Nope, Deism. In Deism the god is thought to have created the Universe and it's laws and then to not have anything else to do with it(similar to Spinoza's god). Nature then takes the matter of the Universe and creates life according to the laws of the Universe(IE exactly how scientists think it was done and which you think of as atheistic). You just don't know what you are talking about, your view of the subject is narrow and uninformed.

3. If you are writing off god creating life as abiogenesis you are simply begging the question since that then leaves us with the question of god's existence

Nobody is writing off anything, they just go in the direction the evidence leads us in, keeping our private opinions out of it. And the conclusions we come to, while never certain, tend to be closer to the truth as time goes on and more is learned. You start with the conclusion "god did it" and are immediately lost in the wilderness of no evidence whatsoever or seeing all evidence through god colored glasses, glasses that hide evidence that doesn't fit your conclusion. Our conclusions come at the end of the process, yours come even before you look for any evidence.

So the atheist is anticipating/predicting that life can be shown to spontaneously arise from matter

No, the scientist are showing this likely to be the truth, some of those scientists are theist as well. That's the difference between thinking you know the answer(god), and actually investigating to find what the answer could be. So far, the Deists seem to be more right than you are. And even atheists admit Deists may be right about god(they are simply unconvinced so far).

Even if you are talking about atheists anticipating a next life (ie buddhists) its certainly not the end game they have in mind .... which kind of makes their views of nirvana (nir- no, vana - variety) remarkably similar to the eternal oblivion anticipated by their more mainstream brothers

Buddhists don't believe in an afterlife, they seek a ceasation of the suffering of this life.

nir·va·na   /nɪrˈvɑnə, -ˈvænə, nər-/ Show Spelled[nir-vah-nuh, -van-uh, ner-] Show IPA
noun
1. ( often initial capital letter ) Pali, nibbana. Buddhism . freedom from the endless cycle of personal reincarnations, with their consequent suffering, as a result of the extinction of individual passion, hatred, and delusion: attained by the Arhat as his goal but postponed by the Bodhisattva.
2. ( often initial capital letter ) Hinduism . salvation through the union of Atman with Brahma; moksha.
3. a place or state characterized by freedom from or oblivion to pain, worry, and the external world.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nirvana

its more that having god provides an alternative to being subject to illness, aging and death as "all there is to existence"

Too bad that there is no evidence that such a god exists, because you are going to age(if you are lucky), might get sick and you will die. An alternative that is not really available(by all indications) is one it's kind of foolish to keep insisting we put at the front of the quay.

I said that atheists call upon the many chaotic processes in the universe as an alternative to god.

Again with this useless strawman! Scientists(both atheist and theist)have defined the chaos that is inherent in the quantum, and the apparent chaos we see in the Universe is really just a measure of our inability to know and understand all of the various particles, trajectories and energies and the complex interactions of the forces involved, it really follows the laws of the Universe exactly, it is our perception that is lacking and chaotic. THESE ARE FACTS. And atheists have no need for an alternative to god, we don't believe in magic in any form. Most atheists simply accept what the scientists have found to be true to the limits of our current knowledge, provisionally.

I brought this up to clarify key differences between what the atheist and theist world view anticipates/predicts since you made the comment that atheism says nothing about the universe and predicts/anticipates nothing.

And you have not only failed to clarify, you have dumped a bunch of straw in the puddle, further muddying the water. Being an atheist means only that you answer "No" when asked if you believe some theists magical thinking, it tells you nothing about the cosmology that atheist may espouse EXCEPT that it doesn't contain a god.

Or to open it up to the broader audience, what aspects of atheism permit life to be subject to something beyond aging, illness and death or environments not dependent on issues of unpredictability and chaos?

"The conviction that there is a divine spark that exists in everyone, unifying all: when there is no "I" and no "you" anymore, no duality, noone higher and noone lesser."

"Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one"

(Someone said that the living beings are subject to five kinds of basic problems: birth, old age, illness, and New Age.)

Back