what defines marriage?

And yet YOU UTTERLY FAIL TO PRODUCE JUST ONE SCRIPTURAL REFERENCE. Nowhere in the bible does it state that you don't need Vicars or Priests either!
you are asking lori to prove that jesus didn't shit...
she just said there is nothing in the bible saying you need a ceremony..then you ask for scriptual evidence of such..how can you provide evidence that something doesn't exist?

Well, I don't believe a 'religious' ceremony means anything, of course, because I am an atheist, DUH! You don't believe it because it's an inconvenience to you. In fact, it doesn't suit your lifestyle.

But historically, it's clear people more versed in the Bible, the Torah, and the Talmud than you, real theists, do think ritual is important. Here's one ritual specified by your God himself;
are you saying atheist are experts in how christians should behave?

"Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy."

God told his followers not to work on Sundays. That's a ritual, right there.

actually..the sabbath is saturday..

Again, scripture proves you WRONG.
Again, you utterly fail to provide anything but OPINION to justify your sin and hedonism.
neither have you.

And yet YOU UTTERLY FAIL TO PRODUCE JUST ONE SCRIPTURAL REFERENCE. Nowhere in the bible does it state that you don't need Vicars or Priests either!

On Priests or Vicars, John 14:6: 'nobody comes to the father but through me'.

Vicar: 'In the broadest sense, a vicar (pronounced /ˈvɪkər/; from the Latin vicarius) is a representative, anyone acting "in the person of" or agent for a superior.' (wikipedia)

Jesus was God's Vicar. People experienced God 'vicariously' through Jesus. Modern Vicars are emulating Jesus by being God's representative.

jesus wasn't god's vicar. jesus IS god, in human form. and because he was resurrected, and because his spirit dwells in us, he doesn't need any priests trying to take on his role post-crucifixion.

Well, I don't believe a 'religious' ceremony means anything, of course, because I am an atheist, DUH! You don't believe it because it's an inconvenience to you. In fact, it doesn't suit your lifestyle.

i don't believe it because it's common sense.

But historically, it's clear people more versed in the Bible, the Torah, and the Talmud than you, real theists, do think ritual is important. Here's one ritual specified by your God himself;

"Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy."

God told his followers not to work on Sundays. That's a ritual, right there.

Again, scripture proves you WRONG.
Again, you utterly fail to provide anything but OPINION to justify your sin and hedonism.

jesus worked on the sabbath.

See Lori, Jesus said to that woman that the man she was with was't her husband, because she was still married to the first guy she had sex with. Same goes for you. The man you are with now isn't your husband in God's eyes. I know this is an inconvenient idea for you, and the knowledge of it clearly eats away at you, because you have to concoct such elaborate mechanisms to absolve yourself of your continuing sin. But you aren't absolved, are you?

he also said she had five previous husbands.

you've been LOL'ing a lot lately. are you giddy?

Could be. It probably has more to do with the insanity of Sciforums these days. I used to care about it, but now it's just become a laughable joke.

Could be. It probably has more to do with the insanity of Sciforums these days. I used to care about it, but now it's just become a laughable joke.

oh. i thought it was probably the annalingus with gendanken. :shrug:

oh. i thought it was probably the annalingus with gendanken. :shrug:

That's a different kind of laughter, one that is most enjoyable.

The kind of laughter produced by the religiously insane is the kind where someone is holding the finger over the 'button' and there isn't anything you
can do about it but laugh.

In my opinion its an partnership between two sentient being who have an affinity for each other. It doesn't matter what you are you should be able to partner with who you love.

That's a different kind of laughter, one that is most enjoyable.

The kind of laughter produced by the religiously insane is the kind where someone is holding the finger over the 'button' and there isn't anything you
can do about it but laugh.

what button? this is the 2nd time you've mentioned this button. :confused:

what button? this is the 2nd time you've mentioned this button. :confused:

That would be the metaphorical button some insane believer will press to annihilate us all, for their god or the rapture or some other such nonsense.

you are asking lori to prove that jesus didn't shit...

NO I AM NOT!

I am asking her to accept that he did, even though it wasn't stated in the bible. Is it so hard for you to comprehend simple things? Why take the converse stand, rather than the OBVIOUS POINT I WAS MAKING?

she just said there is nothing in the bible saying you need a ceremony..

EXCEPT USING SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES WE HAVE DEMONSTRATED THE BIBLE IS NOT THE SOLE AUTHORITY ON MATTER RELIGIOUS, AS STATED BY JESUS HIMSELF. RESTRICTING THE DISCUSSION TO WHAT IT DOESN'T SAY IN THE BIBLE IS A FALSE ARGUMENT BY LORI.

then you ask for scriptual evidence of such..how can you provide evidence that something doesn't exist?

THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM ASKING FOR FOR!

I am not asking for evidence of something that doesn't exist, because marriage ceremonies CLEARLY DO EXIST, and DID FOR 600 YEARS BEFORE JESUS.

I am asking Lori to back up her assertion that ceremonies aren't required. IF THAT TEXT DOES NOT EXIST LORI IS JUST MAKING SHIT UP.

NO. I'M SAYING THAT PEOPLE THAT HAVE ACTUALLY READ THE BIBLE, AND OTHER BOOKS THAT ARE IN CONTEXT DO. LORI IS NOT AMONGST THEM.

actually..the sabbath is saturday..

ACTUALLY, IT STARTS ON FRIDAY. IT'S JUST CHRISTIANS HAVE CORRUPTED IT TO SUNDAY.

neither have you.

Oh please, that was pathetic. I am not a sinner, because I do not believe in sin.

@Lori.

Another waster opportunity to back up your claims with scripture. I take it as I keep asking, and you keep failing to supply to it, you can't and therefore resign the debate and admit you're just making stuff up.

Have fun in Hell.

Actually, it is the Christians who believe they are the ultimate authorities on how everyone should behave. They just don't follow in their own authority, though.

hmm..sounds like..im not breaking the law cause i don't believe in the law...

Clearly, you nor Lori believe in your own cults laws/sins, neither. But, go on telling us all how to behave and live our lives according to your bible. We really respect that.

That would be the metaphorical button some insane believer will press to annihilate us all, for their god or the rapture or some other such nonsense.

are you talking about nuclear weapons that were developed by atheist scientists?

Clearly, you nor Lori believe in your own cults laws/sins, neither. But, go on telling us all how to behave and live our lives according to your bible. We really respect that.

hmm..i don't recall me telling you guys how to live/act..
and i have stated how i view the bible..
still trying to stereotype eh?
if your gonna put me in a box..the one that belongs to me can only fit one person in it..

i don't think like other christians, i don't act like other christians, i have my own thoughts and attitudes..not all make any sense to other ppl..a few don't even make sense to me..don't tell me i have to act that way..tell me why i have to act that way..im not completely brainless..and i am pretty sure god does not want a bunch of clones.
have i broken any of the laws that god has set forth?..of course.i never claimed to be a perfect christian..
i won't let any preacher tell me i will go to hell if i don't do what he says..
do you think i will listen to an atheist tell me that?

for all i know when i die, it could be as atheist say..just a big nothing.
so atheist say 'cool,we dont have to sacrific(or be) anything to pay for an afterlife, since there is no god,there is no afterlife.. and as long as we believe there is no god, we don't have to feel guilty for all the wrongs we have done.'

its not how bad you mess up,but how well you fix it..

btw..here ya go..
smileygoat.jpg

are you talking about politicians? because you can't possibly be talking about me.

i believe in law and in transgression, yes. but i don't tell you how to live or behave. i've questioned your behavior on this forum and made some suggestions, but i am not the only one who's done that, and we're not all religious. aside from that, i can voice an opinion about a behavior, but the only time i ever try to intervene is when that behavior is abusive, or victimizing someone. then i'll attempt to stop that, and i have a fairly high success rate. :)

i don't think it would do anyone any good to tell you how to live, or to behave, or what to believe. i value free will, and i think you have to understand why you do what you do, and want to do what you do. otherwise, it will be meaningless.

besides, you would be hard-pressed to top some of my behaviors. i'm no judge.

Back