What created "existence"?

Re: Time...

Originally posted by Godless
Time had no beggining and will never ever have an end.

Time is infinite.

The only answer to infinite is infinite, I mean why bother to search for an origin? :D

The only existance that you may be aware of is that one life you cling to, after you die, your existance will be no more, however others will exist, therefore no ending to existance.

True. Why don't you explain that to Teg?

ESPECIALLY THE LINE...

after you die, your existance will be no more

Teg would state some crap like: No, your matter is converted, therefore you still exist. Just like the dinosaurs. :rolleyes:

Our universe of little that we know of still hold many secrets, of which we are yet to discover, and I ask you and really think about this " what difference does it make?"

To you it might mean little since your infinite universe provides you with endless solutions which consequently result in no actual solution.

I look for that actual solution.

How will it change your life, if we discover that no big-bang took place?,

Alot of things actually. Equations and the predictions the Big Bang Theory is possible in making.

how will it change your life, if we have scientist prove that we are not spreading, but contrasting, and in millions of years will be nothing more than matter and energy again?.

It will change our understanding and knowledge, that is the important thing.

Quit being so pessimistic atheist! :D

Really to ponder all of this is just a waste of time!

Intellectualism is a waste of time? Why don't you turn into a religious bigot and support anti-intellectualism?!

Time is money, lol, time is very short in the skeems of things.

(I think therefore I am.)

Yep :cool:

I think that space & time have allways existed, and perhaps there have been other universes, other than this one, other big bangs, mass and energy contrasting, and spreading untill entropy runs out, then having the weakest force of the universe become the strongest "gravity" contrasting everything to an infinite point till it explodes again. However that's just one theory.

I don't think time always existed. There is much we do not know about the universe. Things can be derived through metric path integrals or whatever may see fit.

If you can derive many things in our world, why can't we derive our universe's formation and reach a possible conclusiion and solution?

There must be a solution to everything.

Also if you say the Big Bang is an infinite cycle, what is this "infinite state"?

Energy's infinite state is "being just there"

What's the Big Bang's?

static76

The problem I have with your arguement is that you think the laws of our universe encompasses ALL of existence.
"ALL"?!?!!?!! Yes, technically a universal principle applies to all that lies within that universe. If it were any other case we would not call it a universal law.
Once again...According to the big bang, the universe was created sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from a cosmic explosion that hurled matter and in all directions.(Oh wait..., I guess that's just a "layman's" interpretation...
Reformed into its current matrix. Created is only applied by people who do not understand the mechanics of the word infinity. Look at the laws of physics and any detailed theorem concerning the "big bang." You will find that the majority of scientists will side with the reformation of collapsing and expanding cyclical model.
Our universe is finite in it's formation, not infinte as you keep declaring. Re-read the previous posts for explaination, I don't feel like going over it again. The neccessary mass/energy of our universe could have been created by a "God", or come from a possible "God"...
The content is very finite. I never said anything to the contrary. I said specifically that matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed. That is a finite system. I only said that time (or existence, you choose) is infinite.
Why do you think the universe can only be seen as infinite? It is very possible, if not likely, that our universe "came to be" at some point. Once again, your confusing our infinite "existence", with the universe.
Only in theology. No respectable scientist would regard that postulation with any merit. The universe is infinite. This is more an observation of the system as a whole than any pure guess. Try as I might I cannot destroy matter/energy. More importantly I have never seen it created. Why should a substance with such properties need be created? In fact if everything that persists need be created, then why not your deity?
Many factors for the creation of our universe can be theorized, including the possibility of a "God".
By incompetents and the insane, a "God" might find its momentum. I don't see any logical reason for a level headed being to form a positive theory regarding such an entity through any thorough synthesis of the details at hand.

As a positive hypothesis, the "God" idea has nota basis in observation. It predates logic and the scientific method. In as much it can be easily discarded as the ramblings of a drugged/crazy primitive person. No learned person would come to the same conclusion without contact with the idea. The only reason people "believe" is the loyalty/scared sense of self- induced ignorance.
I explained that this law is known to apply to our universe as far as we know, but may not be applicable to other planes of existence. Your assumption was that our universe's laws apply to all of existence, while I think they may not.
Yours is a weaker, positive assertion. It requires unattainable evidence. My assertion requires only that what is observed to be true is in fact what is. My scenario is the neutral scenario. To assume any more would be folly.

Seriously, ~The_Chosen~, you knew what I meant by an infinite universe. If you knew not from that particular statement you might have also noticed my reference to the conservation of energy/matter.

Teg

Originally posted by Teg
Seriously, ~The_Chosen~, you knew what I meant by an infinite universe. If you knew not from that particular statement you might have also noticed my reference to the conservation of energy/matter.

It's conservation of energy/mass

I perfectly knew what you meant. We are on the same par except in the sense that the universe's formation is finite/infinite.

I argue it is finite, it is derivable, just as anything else in this universe is.

To reverberate, technically, if our universe is finite in formation, in it's "essence to come into being" then I deem it "finite" in that sense.

Energy is eternal, on the other hand.

The term "universe" is a conventional understanding of "everything," all the formations of energy that we perceive.

Hence there is not a desideratum that we state the universe is infinite.

It is more meticulous to state that the universe was formed from already existed energy, thus, we conclude that since it was formed from such eternal energy the universe is finite.

Since you state: universe = everything = is energy

You made an unneccesary link that energy is the "universe" itself.

But that doesn't flow, water is not made of the universe. You see the problem here is just a case of semantics. How I see it as, the universe is a identification of all present forms of energy, thus everything.

Anything other, would fall under the category of linguistics, to you the word "create" totally means something else to what I conceive of it.

Intelectualism?.

Quote the chosen: "The only answer to infinite is infinite, I mean why bother to search for an origin?"

Correct, true, so why bother discussing any futher?, any futher discussion would certainly be "anti-intelectual"

Quoted earlier: " For that type of infinite-regression question answers nothing and is anti-intellectual. Such question cannot or need not be answered once one realizes that existance exists.* Dr Frank R. Wallace, Neo-Tech Publishing.

And furthermore, you've failed me (The Chosen) you negleted to answer question #2.

Once you know this, you will know were I'm comming from.

Teg syndrome?

Quote the chosen: "The only answer to infinite is infinite, I mean why bother to search for an origin?"

Correct, true, so why bother discussing any futher?, any futher discussion would certainly be "anti-intelectual"

Do you know what and where I am getting at?

Quoted earlier: " For that type of infinite-regression question answers nothing and is anti-intellectual. Such question cannot or need not be answered once one realizes that existance exists.* Dr Frank R. Wallace, Neo-Tech Publishing.

And furthermore, you've failed me (The Chosen) you negleted to answer question #2.

Once you know this, you will know were I'm comming from.

That's great, I was over the "existence" thing a long time ago.

Is Teg influencing you in anyway? :D He's very intelligent..but he sometimes misses some points...;)

I know perfectly where you are coming from. BUt the question is, do you know where I am coming from?

~The_Chosen~

I argue it is finite, it is derivable, just as anything else in this universe is.
Time does not fall into this category. Any derivations made of it are bound to be followed by an earlier period. Point to a begginning, definitivly. You can't. You can say the Big Bang, but you are ignoring the latest theories that state that the source of its energy was a result of collossal contraction. Besides, all of that resultant coallescing can be easily explained by the affinity of matter to extract other matter.

There is no compelling data that proves a grand design. All that we know of time, matter, and energy points towards infinity of existence.

No scientist would say that the big bang started from nothing. Even those who sup[port a Big Bang as the beggininng admit that some structure predated the Big Bang guessing that predating the universe were multi-dimensional planes of fields in quantum fluctuation. How would you know that nothing even predated that form?

And what if the Big Bang is wrong? How is a singularity possible? Could the observable red shift be due to the compton effect rather than the Doppler effect? Too many questions to know absolutely.

How can there be any concrete method to know that even if the Big Bang did occur, what predates it? Mainstream scientists do have prior states though. The Universe is decidedly not finite.

Accepting your(Chosen's) definition of a universe I can still argue an infinite universe. The Big Bang was not a beginning, merely a point of interest on an infinite line. When all energy in the universe contracts to a very small area this is certainly an interesting point since it destroys all previous forms that energy held. The current path of formation can be drawn back to the Big Bang and this is a very useful point to look at to help us understand the current state of the universe, since the area of energy at that time is more within the constraints of our understanding. But that in no way makes the Big Bang a beginnning. The term "create" is only ever used because it is useful to help those of lesser understanding grasp an idea they would otherwise need years of training to get a grip on. Energy and formation are infinite. Cycles can exist, do exist, and are in progress. Energy is concerved, destroyed is a tricky word to deal with and conversion is better suited to the current situation. Time is, has been, and always will be. A beginning is only neccesary for those who cannot grasp the infinite.

Bring it on

Originally posted by Teg
Time does not fall into this category. Any derivations made of it are bound to be followed by an earlier period. Point to a begginning, definitivly. You can't.

You can't point to an infinite definitivly either.

You can say the Big Bang, but you are ignoring the latest theories that state that the source of its energy was a result of collossal contraction. Besides, all of that resultant coallescing can be easily explained by the affinity of matter to extract other matter.

That does not mean formation is infinite.

There is no compelling data that proves a grand design. All that we know of time, matter, and energy points towards infinity of existence.

I never talked about a "grand design" - so why did you bring it in? I am not a creationist.

No scientist would say that the big bang started from nothing. Even those who sup[port a Big Bang as the beggininng admit that some structure predated the Big Bang guessing that predating the universe were multi-dimensional planes of fields in quantum fluctuation. How would you know that nothing even predated that form?

I already stated I don't believe something can come from nothing.

And what if the Big Bang is wrong? How is a singularity possible? Could the observable red shift be due to the compton effect rather than the Doppler effect? Too many questions to know absolutely.

It's the best theory we have now. Yes, too many questions to know absolutely.

How can there be any concrete method to know that even if the Big Bang did occur, what predates it? Mainstream scientists do have prior states though. The Universe is decidedly not finite.

Finite in formation, yes.

Finite in its energy? No.

Originally posted by Angelus
Accepting your(Chosen's) definition of a universe I can still argue an infinite universe.

Of course. :)

The Big Bang was not a beginning, merely a point of interest on an infinite line. When all energy in the universe contracts to a very small area this is certainly an interesting point since it destroys all previous forms that energy held. The current path of formation can be drawn back to the Big Bang and this is a very useful point to look at to help us understand the current state of the universe, since the area of energy at that time is more within the constraints of our understanding. But that in no way makes the Big Bang a beginnning.

In no way stating what you said just make the Big Bang not a beginning.

The term "create" is only ever used because it is useful to help those of lesser understanding grasp an idea they would otherwise need years of training to get a grip on.

Create, means to come into being. I have come into being through the earth and my parents. They technically created me.

You just have a very biased perspective on the terminology.

Energy and formation are infinite. Cycles can exist, do exist, and are in progress. Energy is concerved, destroyed is a tricky word to deal with and conversion is better suited to the current situation.

I never said energy could be destoryed. Energy is a state present in everything.

Matter is not, it is an identity of energy. Matter is not present in light. Therefore the term "destroy" perfectly can be suited to be used on the term "matter."

Time is, has been, and always will be. A beginning is only neccesary for those who cannot grasp the infinite.

That is held within your own perspective. I believe in an eternal source (energy), thus I can grasp an infinite, otherwise things cannot come to be (created) to form the universe we now know of.

Nothing begets nothing.

Last edited:
Your formation is part of a continuing chain of formation, that formation did not begin at the Big Bang, it has existed always. The Big Bang is merely one point in this chain. I am extremely prejudiced against the term create because of a very good reason, at least from my perspective. Wherever you find the term create there is always a better term that can be used in it's place. Create is a generalization of many different proccesses and is superfluos(sp?). We have other terms available to us that fit better in the context. You were not created, you were formed from DNA that was passed on to you from your mother and father, this DNA was not created in any way, it multiplied through cellular processes. Can you see how I can become biased against the term create. Where is one example where the term create cannot be replaced by a more fitting and descriptive word that is not open to such presumptions as create is?

And then the voice of reason was heard...

...and it was Angelus .

This has been a very drawn out debate between, ~The_Chosen~, and I. It has traversed multiple threads. Every time it comes down to this disagreement: I cannot see any discernable evidence of an origin to anything. ~The_Chosen~ chooses to believe in the act of creation. To ~The_Chosen~ matter can be destroyed and created. To me this merely conversion between matter and energy. ~The_Chosen~'s Big Bang is the ultimate creation of the universe because some dolt layman used the term create too cassually. These are the battle lines.

You can't point to an infinite definitivly either.
That is the point. Infinity is indefinite by the very meaning of the word. Points in infinity are irrellevant. When is the present? How can you quantify time in infinity?
That does not mean formation is infinite.
What formation? Like all things in the natural universe a divine presence is not required to explain this phenomena. That was my point.
I never talked about a "grand design" - so why did you bring it in? I am not a creationist.
If you believe that an act created the universe and that this universe is not infinite, you are a follower of creation theory. You may not be in the Judeo-Christian camp, but none-the-less you adhere to the creation model. You are an admitted theist. That alone is endorsement of "grand design."
Finite in formation, yes.

Finite in its energy? No.
Energy and matter are very finite. Timeas the principle measurement of the existence of a universe and prior states is not however.
Create, means to come into being. I have come into being through the earth and my parents. They technically created me.

You just have a very biased perspective on the terminology.
You were composed of existing molecules. This has not the implications of creation.
I never said energy could be destoryed. Energy is a state present in everything.

Matter is not, it is an identity of energy. Matter is not present in light. Therefore the term "destroy" perfectly can be suited to be used on the term "matter."
Perhaps in some loose street jargon or pseudoscience the term "destroy" can be applied. This is not the case with the highly precise and accurate nature of science. Destroy means to end the existence of something. The caterpillar is not destroyed when it becomes a butterfly, just as matter is not destroyed after being turned into energy.
That is held within your own perspective. I believe in an eternal source (energy), thus I can grasp an infinite, otherwise things cannot come to be (created) to form the universe we now know of.

Nothing begets nothing.
But what was the creator of your creator. The only possible explanation contains the word always pertaining to all that is. Nothing was begun.

Hater?

Your formation is part of a continuing chain of formation, that formation did not begin at the Big Bang, it has existed always.

Define formation for me. Show me a form of energy (not the energy itself) that has always existed.

The Big Bang is merely one point in this chain. I am extremely prejudiced against the term create because of a very good reason, at least from my perspective.

Hater of religion again? Like Cris?

Wherever you find the term create there is always a better term that can be used in it's place. Create is a generalization of many different proccesses and is superfluos(sp?).

Yes, maybe I should alleviate some problems since there is so much prejudice against terms that religion has scarred.

I'll use the term: make from now on.

Just so people like you can "feel better and more comfortable." :)

We have other terms available to us that fit better in the context. You were not created, you were formed from DNA that was passed on to you from your mother and father, this DNA was not created in any way, it multiplied through cellular processes. Can you see how I can become biased against the term create. Where is one example where the term create cannot be replaced by a more fitting and descriptive word that is not open to such presumptions as create is?

That is strictly your viewpoint. The Big Bang created/formed/made the stars and galaxies all mean the same to me.

To you it's different. I have never considered the term "create" in a magical sense where you get something out of nothing, or in other words, spontaneous creation.

That is why the context is spontaneous creation.

The Council of Europe has just agreed a protocol to its Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine which says "Any intervention seeking to create a human being genetically identical to another human being, whether living or dead, is prohibited". The usual word for such a created being is a clone.

Ok smart guy, would the word "form" fit there? It is not superfluous, you need to widen that tunnel vision of yours. I suggest religion has influenced your perspective greatly.

Need I argue semantics here with you atheists? Especially Teg. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Teg
...and it was Angelus.

LMAO!!! :rolleyes:

This has been a very drawn out debate between, ~The_Chosen~, and I. It has traversed multiple threads. Every time it comes down to this disagreement: I cannot see any discernable evidence of an origin to anything. ~The_Chosen~ chooses to believe in the act of creation. To ~The_Chosen~ matter can be destroyed and created. To me this merely conversion between matter and energy. ~The_Chosen~'s Big Bang is the ultimate creation of the universe because some dolt layman used the term create too cassually. These are the battle lines.

You all need to understand when I refer to spontaneous creation I will say...SPONTANEOUS CREATION.

Simple logic right?

That is the point. Infinity is indefinite by the very meaning of the word. Points in infinity are irrellevant. When is the present? How can you quantify time in infinity?

Agreed. But we need a finite model to actually seek an absolute solution. And I believe in that solution.

What formation? Like all things in the natural universe a divine presence is not required to explain this phenomena. That was my point.

Ok, a divine being isn't needed to explain the phenomena, we are capable of that ourselves.

If you believe that an act created the universe and that this universe is not infinite, you are a follower of creation theory.

First, elaborate on this "creation theory"

You may not be in the Judeo-Christian camp, but none-the-less you adhere to the creation model. You are an admitted theist. That alone is endorsement of "grand design."

Design is strictly a subjective idea.

Energy and matter are very finite. Timeas the principle measurement of the existence of a universe and prior states is not however.

You knew what I meant. I agree with you.

You were composed of existing molecules. This has not the implications of creation.

I "came to be" from existing molecules, I was made from existing molecules. That sound better for your narrow ears?

Perhaps in some loose street jargon or pseudoscience the term "destroy" can be applied. This is not the case with the highly precise and accurate nature of science. Destroy means to end the existence of something. The caterpillar is not destroyed when it becomes a butterfly, just as matter is not destroyed after being turned into energy.

LOL, YOU STILL TRY TO DO THIS CRAP TEG! I believe you are better and more intelligent than that....here I'll elaborate...

You want to run through that "everything is relative" test again and I can watch you err?

Well, to a few NASA and university researchers, antimatter may just be the future of human space travel. When it comes to packing a punch, antimatter/matter reactions can't be beat. When a particle and its antiparticle meet, they annihilate each other and their entire mass is converted into pure energy.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast29may_1m.htm

We don't usually find antimatter in nature - although a few radioactive atoms decay to produce short-lived positrons. Most of what we know about it has come from making it in particle accelerators - the massive atom-smashers which collide particles together at high speeds and look at what comes out of the explosion! One important thing we do know about antimatter is that whenever a particle and its antiparticle come into contact with each other, they annihilate - destroying each other completely, and producing a burst of energy. This is the basis for antimatter drives on spaceships such as the USS Enterprise in Star Trek. The makers of this show have actually got their science fairly correct - the antimatter is held in magnetic containment fields, out of contact with any real matter until it is injected into the engines - and real antimatter can be trapped in an electromagnetic field in the same way.

http://www.sciencenet.org.uk/database/Physics/Cosmology/p00718c.html

"when matter and anti-matter get together, they annihilate in a flash of energy we call gamma rays."

http://www.open2.net/nextbigthing/antimatter/hear_the_arguments/argument3.htm

You want some more links to prove to you?

Define ANNIHILATE for me. :rolleyes:

I'm sick of trying to prove all this to you. Other atheists are prone to this type of behavior...get rid of it.

You and Angelus with your religious prejudice. It clouds your thoughts and gives you tunnel vision. :)

But what was the creator of your creator. The only possible explanation contains the word always pertaining to all that is. Nothing was begun.

My creator is eternal, that is the solution.

Re: Hater?

Originally posted by ~The_Chosen~
My creator is eternal, that is the solution.

Only if you define your "creator" as being somehow separate from the universe. On the other hand, most of us (especially atheists) tend to define the universe as 'everything that exists'. Thus, if existence is infinite as you agreed then the universe is infinite, being the set of all existence. Thus, any "creator" is inseparable from the universe, and your points are moot and this whole debate between you and Teg is meaningless.

Now, if you wish to define a discrete "creator", then this creator is but a subset of the universe. Hence, it exists within the universe, and the universe is primary while the "creator" is a secondary phenomenon arising within and existing within the universe. Thus atheists (like myself) tend to ask,

<ol>
<li>how an intelligent "creator" (as claimed by religions) came to exist within the universe in the first place,</li>
<li>how does postulating an intelligent "creator" (as is the case with religions) contribute anything to explaining the universe in its entirety</li>
<li>how does postulating an intelligent "creator" (as is the case with religions) contribute anything to explaining the observable subset of the universe</li>
</ol>

Of course, you seem eager to limit the term "universe" to include only the observable universe we can see with our telescopes and whose physics we can explore. But then you might be more precise by actually stating specifically the word "observable" or "known" right next to your usage of the word "universe". Thus, the observable universe was created via the Big Bang by something that might be described as "creator". But attributing intelligence or any sort of intent to such a motive force is not only extraneous but utterly redundant and useless as it answers no questions but creates plenty of new ones.

Overdose, Teg, Angelus.....

We've tried, We've not failed, we are only trying to explain theories of space, time continum to someone who does not grasp the anxiom of existence.

I've tried and asked one simple question of which theChosen never gave an answer. The question: "Which is the strongest force in the universe?"

Few people can guess this one right!.

I will reveal the answer to this question after one simple explanation.

Human evolution, and brain evolution alone did not create what we today call consciousness. Thousands of years ago, humans had a primitive mind, the bicameral mind.

*As identified by Julian Jaynes of Princenton University, the conscious mind was discovered within nature's bicameral mind about 3000 years ago.
The bicameral mind was man's intellegent, nature-evolved mind before he discovered consciousness. ( a conceptual/ introspective mind) the conscious mind is not a part of nature's evolutionary process. But rather consciousness is a discovery by man that lies beyond the dynamics of nature.* Dr. Frank Wallace Neo-Tech Publishing*

Therefore to answer the question, the strongest force of the universe is "human like consciousness"

Human like consciousness in the universe will learn and manipulate nature of the universe as humans have been able to do here on earth.

Great, now I can elaborate

Originally posted by overdoze
Only if you define your "creator" as being somehow separate from the universe. On the other hand, most of us (especially atheists) tend to define the universe as 'everything that exists'. Thus, if existence is infinite as you agreed then the universe is infinite, being the set of all existence. Thus, any "creator" is inseparable from the universe, and your points are moot and this whole debate between you and Teg is meaningless.

Let's tackle the definition itself.

WEBSTER - universe
1 : the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated : COSMOS: as a : a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power b : the world of human experience

The American Heritage
All matter and energy, including Earth, the galaxies and all therein, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.

Or unless you can give me a new definition, a purely scientific one, then I'll consider changing my perspective in this matter.

Now, if you wish to define a discrete "creator", then this creator is but a subset of the universe. Hence, it exists within the universe, and the universe is primary while the "creator" is a secondary phenomenon arising within and existing within the universe. Thus atheists (like myself) tend to ask,

Thing is, I will admit to my ignorance unlike certain theists. I have never seen my creator nor do I know what it is. I cannot define it in any terms. Expect to deductively conclude that in order for such a creator to exist, it must be eternal.

I believe that my creator "started" our universe. Hawking's "instanton theory" of something from nothing is interesting but highly questionable. Reactions do not occur spontaneously, something must have caused it, then the cycle continues.

I believe in an absolute solution to how things came to be. Not in the infinite model in which there is not a real actual solution.

<ol>
<li>how an intelligent "creator" (as claimed by religions) came to exist within the universe in the first place,</li>

For our universe to be possible, something must have always existed.

<li>how does postulating an intelligent "creator" (as is the case with religions) contribute anything to explaining the universe in its entirety</li>

Science is fully capable of explaining some of the universe.

<li>how does postulating an intelligent "creator" (as is the case with religions) contribute anything to explaining the observable subset of the universe</li>
</ol>

Postulating a creator doesn't solve anything. It's a possible solution to origins. But there is no proof.

Of course, you seem eager to limit the term "universe" to include only the observable universe we can see with our telescopes and whose physics we can explore. But then you might be more precise by actually stating specifically the word "observable" or "known" right next to your usage of the word "universe". Thus, the observable universe was created via the Big Bang by something that might be described as "creator". But attributing intelligence or any sort of intent to such a motive force is not only extraneous but utterly redundant and useless as it answers no questions but creates plenty of new ones.

You could be right. But the issue is, something can't come from nothing.

Hawking proposed the "Baby Universes" theory to eliminate any questioning of a possible creator. Who cares about the beginning of our universe if it is just part of a series of quantum fluctuations?

Energy does not spontaneously form itself, reactions are caused and do not "just happen"

If we were to trace back "how all things came to be" what can you picture? If you do not accept the instanton theory of creation ex nihilo, then how did the energy "get itself going"?

Our logic will have great difficultly answering such questions. But when we are capable, and there is proof that no creator was ever necessary in the forming of our universe, I will throw away my very "weak-theism."

Last edited:
Re: Overdose, Teg, Angelus.....

Therefore to answer the question, the strongest force of the universe is "human like consciousness"

That is purely subjective, you do not know if we can further evolve and perchance something "stronger" than "human like consciousness"

WEBSTER - universe
1 : the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated

This is perhaps the closest to how I (and others) are using the term. Note the inclusion of "postulated" in the definition, which automatically covers any creators or anything that anyone would dream up as being part of existence.

: COSMOS: as a : a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power

Clearly a religionist's definition; one would hardly expect an atheist to use it. Moreover it presupposes a creator, which in the context of this thread would form a circular argument.

b : the world of human experience

Archaic and too limited. For example, not too long ago such a "universe" would have consisted of a fraction of Earth's surface, plus or minus a couple hundred meters in altitude.

The American Heritage
All matter and energy, including Earth, the galaxies and all therein, and the contents of intergalactic space, regarded as a whole.

This is what I would call the "known" universe. It is a reasonably broad notion, but nevertheless confined to that which is currently known to humans. Hence it is unsuitable when discussing existence in general, as it stands to reason that much exists of which we are still not aware. A slightly broader notion than that of known universe is that of observable universe (or alternatively, knowable universe), as it would include anything that is observable at least in principle (even if not yet specifically known to exist.) However, even this falls short of the general notion of "universe" which encompasses all existence, whether observable or not.

Note that we cannot exclude the possibility of existance for something that cannot in principle be observed; yet that something (should it in fact exist) would nevertheless be a subset of the universe. For a physically relevant example, consider the post-Big Bang universe that lies beyond the lightcone of an observer and is destined to forever remain beyond that lightcone due to cosmic expansion. Those parts of "our" universe are in principle unobservable according to modern physics, but that does not mean they do not or cannot exist.

The notion of "our" universe might be defined to be broader even than the observable universe, to include everything that formed as a result of the Big Bang whether beyond the horizon of observability or not. This however is still but a narrow subset of the universe at large, which includes everything that exists including that which gave rise to the Big Bang in the first place. However, "our" is commonly used in discourse and as a word is a bit ambiguous so I don't like it very much. Perhaps a more precise word would be something like "human" or "anthropic". Still, these are too anthropocentric so I'm open to suggestions. A nice and succinct term to borrow from Relativity is "spacetime" (though depending on validity of various multiverse theories, it might unintentionally extend beyond the post-Big Bang structure to all the parent and child universes.) Then our universe would be idempotent with spacetime. The unqualified term "universe", however, ought to be reserved for that which encompasses all existence, including but not limited to spacetime.

I believe that my creator "started" our universe.

Perhaps you can see that in the broad meaning of the term, the universe cannot have a cause. Any such cause would be encompassed by the universe as per definition, and hence could not precede the universe's existence.

Hawking's "instanton theory" of something from nothing is interesting but highly questionable.

It is not a theory of something from nothing; it's a theory of something from something that is very poorly defined and generally unknown. Plus, unless it's testable we shouldn't call it a theory.

Reactions do not occur spontaneously, something must have caused it, then the cycle continues.

This is the notion of causality, which IMHO is inherent in the notion of existence. Causality is idempotent with order; in absense of causality there is chaos. Existence (or anything) cannot be defined in the context of chaos because any meaning would imply a degree of order, which is incompatible with the notion of chaos. In fact, if "chaos" can be defined in any way, then the definition would have to be of the form "condition under which no definitions whatsoever can be made" (since any definition involves an implicative or causal relationship between fixed concepts, and neither fixedness of a description nor causality of descriptions is possible when there is no causality of the underlying medium that the descriptions are supposed to model.) This is paradoxical in and of itself, as it would seem to state that should chaos exist then by definition it has no definition and therefore does not exist. As we observe existence and order, the only possible conclusion is that order has always been present and that existence is eternal. If not, you have order arising from chaos in which it is not inherent in any direct or indirect way; it would indeed be something from nothing.

I believe in an absolute solution to how things came to be. Not in the infinite model in which there is not a real actual solution.

Such an "absolute" solution can only be possible when applied to an incomplete subset of the universe. For example, you might be able to trace the origins (and perhaps the cause) of the "anthropic" universe. However, as previously discussed the general universe could not have "come to be" as such a notion contradicts with the notion of universe as per definition.

For our universe to be possible, something must have always existed.

If by "our" you mean "known" or "observable" or "anthropic" then the "something" you mention is the universe itself. Naturally, for a subset to have definition the encompassing set must exist first.

Science is fully capable of explaining some of the universe.

Namely, the observable subset.

You could be right. But the issue is, something can't come from nothing.

Under this assumption, the universe is eternal.

Hawking proposed the "Baby Universes" theory to eliminate any questioning of a possible creator.

That was not Hawking. One well-known author of this type of idea is <a href="http://physics.stanford.edu/linde/">Andrei Linde</a>. He (and others) rely on <a href="http://www.discover.com/apr_02/featguth.html">Alan Guth's</a> inflation theory.

Moreover it's hardly the goal of these theories to "eliminate any questioning of a possible creator." This assumes that the notion of a "possible creator" is somehow important or takes precedence. True, chronologically it was first to appear but in fact this does not bode well for it (as historically, the earliest theories have always turned out to be incorrect.) But at any rate creationism is but one of the infinitely many hypotheses that can be proposed for the origin of Big Bang. Until experimental evidence can come in, and barring any other criterion for judgement, all such hypotheses are equally worthless as far as knowledge is concerned. But we might note that the hypotheses advanced by physicists are quite a bit more constructive than the "creator" hypothesis in the sense that they at least have a potential of being testable, not to mention that they work within the confines of known laws of physics and hence are apriori more plausible.

Who cares about the beginning of our universe if it is just part of a series of quantum fluctuations?

Any such fluctuations would occur in the context of the encompassing universe (as compared to "our" universe), which you fail to capture with your statement. Naturally, the universe cannot have a beginning.

Energy does not spontaneously form itself, reactions are caused and do not "just happen"

Actually, energy is a narrow empirical concept and as such might just as well be capable of forming itself (out of something else, presumably) outside the confines of "our" universe. IOW just because it seems fundamental to the observable universe, does not mean that it is fundamental in an absolute sense. Generally speaking, any concepts derived through observation (like "energy") are likely too limited and superficial for our discussion.

We are concerned with the general notions of existence and causality, and debating universal applicability of particular empirical concepts is an inconsequential tangent.

WEBSTER - universe
1 : the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated

To summarize what overdoze said(at some rather great length, i read it all but just in case someone chooses not to). Any God you postulate would then be a part of the universe and could therefore not be it's creator.

Informative indeed

Originally posted by overdoze
This is perhaps the closest to how I (and others) are using the term. Note the inclusion of "postulated" in the definition, which automatically covers any creators or anything that anyone would dream up as being part of existence.

I see my error.

Perhaps you can see that in the broad meaning of the term, the universe cannot have a cause. Any such cause would be encompassed by the universe as per definition, and hence could not precede the universe's existence.

Interesting and true enough.

This is the notion of causality, which IMHO is inherent in the notion of existence. Causality is idempotent with order; in absense of causality there is chaos. Existence (or anything) cannot be defined in the context of chaos because any meaning would imply a degree of order, which is incompatible with the notion of chaos. In fact, if "chaos" can be defined in any way, then the definition would have to be of the form "condition under which no definitions whatsoever can be made" (since any definition involves an implicative or causal relationship between fixed concepts, and neither fixedness of a description nor causality of descriptions is possible when there is no causality of the underlying medium that the descriptions are supposed to model.) This is paradoxical in and of itself, as it would seem to state that should chaos exist then by definition it has no definition and therefore does not exist. As we observe existence and order, the only possible conclusion is that order has always been present and that existence is eternal. If not, you have order arising from chaos in which it is not inherent in any direct or indirect way; it would indeed be something from nothing.

This is one's perception and noted you defined chaos as "condition under which no definitions whatsoever can be made."

I don't necessarily believe that is true.

Why doesn't the world decay into chaos? A while back Boltzmann proved his theorem, disorder always increases, only by presupposing a high degree of disorder, the random movement of atoms and molecules. In 1967 Prigogine contended that only in such random conditions, already very close to quilibrium, does this law actually hold. Any slight deviation from equilibrium is immediately disrupted by random molecular motion.
Point is, if the system were already far from equilibrium, if there were significant flows of energy through it, it would not tend to return toward equilibrium. It would move away from it, creating order and structure in the process. Order of out of chaos is possible, and the key here is growth of fluctuations through instability.
An example would be to picture a pot of water that is being heated. If the heat is on low, the energy flows are small and the movement of the water molecules remains random. Heat disperses through the water by conduction, but as the heat on the stove is turned up, at a certain critical point, the water's motion suddenly becomes highly organized, convection occurs. If the water is initially motionless, the convection forms extremely regular hexagonal cells of water, called Bernard cells. The motion of the water becomes unstable, allowing tiny fluctuations to grow. As a small amount of hot water rises it pushes aside cooler water above it, which moves downward, producing a circular motion. This cycle then continues with the cool water that is being moved down, it is being heated and as more water joins the circulation pattern, it spreads, developing more cells around it. Rapidly more energy is entrained in the pattern, until all of the water is filled with circulation cells, in other words, all of the water is moving in a coherent pattern, no longer random. Order has arisen from chaos.

I don't know if such an analogy could constitute as either logical or rhetorical. Logical analogies would serves as proof, while rhetorical analogies are "weak forms of reasoning." Rhetorical analogies merely suggest that because A resembles B in certain respects, it also resembles it in others. But since the resemblance between A and B is never total and exact, what is true of one cannot necessarily be applied to the other.

The case here is, B is the universe, and it is very much not defined of a great extent to form a logical analogy upon. We just don't know much.

Such an "absolute" solution can only be possible when applied to an incomplete subset of the universe. For example, you might be able to trace the origins (and perhaps the cause) of the "anthropic" universe. However, as previously discussed the general universe could not have "come to be" as such a notion contradicts with the notion of universe as per definition.

The formation of the universe could possibly "come to be" in some way or another. But its existence is another issue.

If by "our" you mean "known" or "observable" or "anthropic" then the "something" you mention is the universe itself. Naturally, for a subset to have definition the encompassing set must exist first.

Agreed.

Under this assumption, the universe is eternal.

Of course. :)

That was not Hawking. One well-known author of this type of idea is <a href="http://physics.stanford.edu/linde/">Andrei Linde</a>. He (and others) rely on <a href="http://www.discover.com/apr_02/featguth.html">Alan Guth's</a> inflation theory.

How much respect do you have for Hawking?

Moreover it's hardly the goal of these theories to "eliminate any questioning of a possible creator." This assumes that the notion of a "possible creator" is somehow important or takes precedence.

There is no "real" solution to infinite. If such a theory is valid and true, there is no reason to question about a "possible creator."

True, chronologically it was first to appear but in fact this does not bode well for it (as historically, the earliest theories have always turned out to be incorrect.) But at any rate creationism is but one of the infinitely many hypotheses that can be proposed for the origin of Big Bang.

I don't believe in creationism and spontaneous creation of "existence or energy."

Until experimental evidence can come in, and barring any other criterion for judgement, all such hypotheses are equally worthless as far as knowledge is concerned. But we might note that the hypotheses advanced by physicists are quite a bit more constructive than the "creator" hypothesis in the sense that they at least have a potential of being testable, not to mention that they work within the confines of known laws of physics and hence are apriori more plausible.

True, and I agree with you 100% here. The "potential of being testable" is the important statement here.

Any such fluctuations would occur in the context of the encompassing universe (as compared to "our" universe), which you fail to capture with your statement. Naturally, the universe cannot have a beginning.

Beginning in existence and energy? No

But a beginning to its formation, I believe it's a possibility.

Actually, energy is a narrow empirical concept and as such might just as well be capable of forming itself (out of something else, presumably) outside the confines of "our" universe. IOW just because it seems fundamental to the observable universe, does not mean that it is fundamental in an absolute sense. Generally speaking, any concepts derived through observation (like "energy") are likely too limited and superficial for our discussion.

True, so how do we tackle such a problem?

We are concerned with the general notions of existence and causality, and debating universal applicability of particular empirical concepts is an inconsequential tangent.

Not at all, I can't explain myself in a more "intelligent" manner, regarding the formation of the universe.

Existence always "existed" so to say. It seems that people are confused at the crux of my argument, it's needs more focalization.

Overdoze, I can only hope what you will answer in reply, this has been very informative for me :)

To summarize what overdoze said(at some rather great length, i read it all but just in case someone chooses not to). Any God you postulate would then be a part of the universe and could therefore not be it's creator.

Now now, let's not play with definitions that way. :cool:

btw, your signature is ironic. :bugeye:

Last edited:
Now now, no reason to step lightly. It's sarcastic. See the introduction thread in the Site Feedback area for an explanation of how I can be very sarcastic...sometimes. It's a fine art I try to hone. :) Anyway, I think a beginning to formation is kind of illogical, what form did it have before it began to form? I mean it did have to have some kind of shape or something right? If this had been stable infinitely into the past what started it to move and create continuous formation? Not sure if that made any sense but I tried.

If you are told to build a house without any tools and resources how will you build it. The same concepts refers to the creation of the universe. You cannot create something from or with nothing.

In mathematical terms... No matter how many times you add zero to itself, you won't get more than zero, but zero it self.

So don't say that there was no existence.

Back