Turn the other cheek

Secondly, the Quotation in Matthew 5:38-39 is from Deuteronomy 19:21 and the ruling is limited to a magistrate's court, which is clear from Deuteronomy 19:18.

To misaaply verse 39, then, to such issues as "no self defense," "attempted murder," and international war is to betray ignorance of the scriptures.

The context of that quote was this:
Mat 5:1 And seeing great masses of people he went up into the mountain; and when he was seated his disciples came to him.

Mat 5:38 You have knowledge that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

(Deu 19:21 Have no pity; let life be given for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.)

Mat 5:39 But I say to you, Do not make use of force against an evil man; but to him who gives you a blow on the right side of your face let the left be turned.
Mat 5:40 And if any man goes to law with you and takes away your coat, do not keep back your robe from him.
Mat 5:41 And whoever makes you go one mile, go with him two.
Mat 5:42 Give to him who comes with a request, and keep not your property from him who would for a time make use of it.
Mat 5:43 You have knowledge that it was said, Have love for your neighbour, and hate for him who is against you:
Mat 5:44 But I say to you, Have love for those who are against you, and make prayer for those who are cruel to you;

So, it is clear that Jesus was both referring to the Old Testament and contradicting it, not referring to Deuteronomy in order to reinforce or emphasize it's (now outdated) advice.

no implications?

M*W: Okay, since you asked, Aquarius, the water sign, affects water sources. We will see more tsunamis, underwater volcanoes, storms, other interruptions in the water cycle.

John the Baptist represents the Sign of Aquarias. He was the baptiser with water. He was the forerunner of Jesus (the Sign of Pisces). You must have water before you can have fish. Water (John) comes before blood (Jesus).

Please don't misinterpret what I say as fact. It is myth... astro-theological myth. There will be no real Jesus coming after a real John the Baptist. It's all allegorical. As I've stated many times, the NT is an astrological calendar. None of it is real.

I've always found it hilarious that the very people who scream the loudest about the importance of taking the Bible literally when it comes to things like evolution are also some of the most eager to do mental gymnastics when they want to ignore a Bible verse that they don't personally like. When the Bible describes the exact manner in which God created the world, we need to take that literally. When it says that homosexuality is bad, we need to take that literally.

But when it explicitly says that you shouldn't object to people taking your possessions, or defend yourself when someone strikes you, or that you shouldn't be rich...well, now of course we need to interpret it in order to figure out what it really means. Because after all, just taking what it says literally would be crazy, right?

Jesus commanded that the Gospel be preached in all the world, that takes money, don't you think?
I don’t think there would be a problem with someone making a lot of money and giving almost all of it away to charity as quickly as he made it. But how many rich Christians – and there are a lot of them – actually give almost all of their money away? Virtually none. They choose to ignore that part, because they don't want to live that sort of lifestyle. Much like you apparently ignore the parts where Jesus tells people not to defend themselves or object if people steal things from them, presumably because you don't want to live that sort of lifestyle.

I would venture that born again Christians give away a much higher percentage of their incomes than others do.

And your point is...what, exactly? The Bible clearly says that Christians are not to be rich. It doesn't say that it's okay to be rich so long as you also donate a lot of money to charity. It simply says that it's bad to be rich - end of discussion. But of course Christians want to be rich – because being rich is pleasant – so they just choose to ignore that part.

How else would the Gospel be preached in all the world?

Why are we even arguing over this? Do you dispute the fact that Jesus clearly and repeatedly said that Christians shouldn't be rich? If so, just brows around in the NT. If you don't dispute this, then what point are you trying to make? That Jesus gave his followers contradictory instruction?

In the end, he let the Romans kill him. I could imagine no greater example of pacifism.
That was his mission. It's why he was born. He could have prevented it at any time, he could have healed himself, jumped off the cross, and....well, whatever.

But he was there to be the final sacrifice, so he let it happen. Not as a lesson in pacifism, but to pay for the sins of the world.

And as soon as he took it out Jesus scolded him and told him to put it away.
This may simply be because there was no need to fight. Jesus was there to be crucified. It was his purpose. It's why he was born.
Here's the deal: You like most things about Christianity, but you don't like the idea of being a total door mat, so you're choosing to ignore the multiple instances in which Jesus commands his followers to be door mats.
Now this is true. It's why I started this thread. That particular idea has never sat well with me. I assume I'm misunderstanding the quote, but your interpretation certainly seems reasonable.

Still, the God of the Old Testiment is no pacifist. And Jesus said he was here not to change the law but to fulfil it. So.......

A lot of Christians (namely the fundamentalists) fulfill the anti-Christ prophecy perfectly...they will appear to be Christian in every way but they are not at all Christian (or like Christ) deep down inside, they are evildoers in disguise, and those who do evil deeds indirectly worship evil, therefore they are evil, and when Jesus returns he shall kill them all, along with many other millions upon millions....

"Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father" (John 14:12)

Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching” (14:23-24)

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life” (Matthew 25:44-46)

These so-called Christians who take pleasure in condemning and creating division among others instead of doing as Jesus do not really love Jesus, do not really have true devotion....you need faith and works to match them, then you will enter the kingdom...

Most of these so-called Christians just go by faith alone:
“What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if people claim to have faith but have no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead (James 2:14).

As for this: "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:27)

This text (Hebrews) has nothing to do with Jesus, divinity, or anything....that is simply the opinion of the author of the text Hebrews, a common opinion at the time used an analogy, but not an opinion of Jesus...

In the Gospel of Thomas Jesus talks about reincarnation-like concepts:

Jesus said, "Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human. And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human" (Gospel of Thomas, 7)

Now this is true. It's why I started this thread. That particular idea has never sat well with me. I assume I'm misunderstanding the quote, but your interpretation certainly seems reasonable.
You say that you assume you're misunderstanding the passage. I assume that this means you think it wasn't to be taken literally, and that the Bible needs to be interpreted to discover what the real message is. Now, that's fine - if that's the view you want to take. What bothers me is that so many Christians insist that certain parts of the Bible must be taken literally, but then go on to either ignore the parts that they don't like (usually the parts that would require them to make some sort of major lifestyle change) or try to interpret them to give them some meaning other than the one that they plainly have.

You see all these people insisting that the world is 10,000 years old and that evolution is a lie because that’s what it says in the Bible, and we have to take the Bible literally – but then these same people refuse to take it literally when Jesus explicitly commands them not to object when someone steals from them or strikes them. Why do we take the creation story whose origins are lost in the mists of pre-history literally, but insist that we have to “interpret” the explicit commands of Jesus that are written down word-for-word? Why aren’t all these born-again Christian politicians tying to pass laws making it illegal to be rich? After all, the NT contains only a single passage saying that homosexuality is bad, but have MANY passages saying that it’s bad to be rich. Why do we choose to take one rule so seriously, but completely ignore the other?
Still, the God of the Old Testiment is no pacifist. And Jesus said he was here not to change the law but to fulfil it. So.......

Yeah, but Jesus made of point of saying "You know what it said in the OT. Well, listen to what I'm saying now..."

Last edited:
A lot of Christians (namely the fundamentalists) fulfill the anti-Christ prophecy perfectly...
Exactly. Anyone who actually took the Bible literally would give most of their money away to charity and spend all their time volunteering at homeless shelters or adopting orphans. Instead you have all these people who claim to be "born-again" Christians who don't actually do anything to help their fellow man, but don't hesitate to completely freak out at the thought of evolution being taught in schools.

It's also interesting that most fundamentalist Christians vote Republican and are against welfare and universal health care. Wasn't Jesus all about healing the sick and giving to the poor?

God does not make the Law.
When Moses came, and gave the law to the people, is because they were on a primitive state. They wouldn´t understand the truth even if it blasted on their faces.
Moses prepared the terrain so Jesus could walk on it. If you have an ugly face, then put on a mask, so other people don´t have to pay to see your ugly face. That is exactly what Moses did, he put on people masks.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery. But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matthew 5:27)

So Jesus came here with a message of Alchemy, a message of transformation. He told people to take off their masks, because they have the ability to become beautiful from the inside.

Jesus was an admirer of nature, he couldn´t possibly tell you to not look at beautiful women. He tought to observe the beauty of a flower, well God wrote all the principles of beauty of the Universe in women. So he is not telling you to close your eyes. But the moment you start thinking how to posses that beaty, you are degrading it.

"If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell." (Matthew 5:29)

Now, this has been incredibly misunderstood. There are some idiots who have cut off their genitals because of this, that is just stupid. And they have been venerated as saints, dickless saints. But this cannot be farther from the truth.

Jesus is telling you to cut the problem from the root, your mind is the problem, he is not telling you to cut off your head either. That would be even more stupid.
But if you stop thinking, just admire the beaty, live the moment, cut the thinking off. The mind leaves in the future or in the past, Jesus was telling you to put your mind in the present. That is the way to inner-transformation.

So the teachings of Jesus are by no chance contradictory to those of Moses, but a truth has to be destroyed when a higher truth comes along. And that is exactly what Jesus did, he brang a higher truth to the people.

I've always found it hilarious that the very people who scream the loudest about the importance of taking the Bible literally when it comes to things like evolution are also some of the most eager to do mental gymnastics when they want to ignore a Bible verse that they don't personally like. When the Bible describes the exact manner in which God created the world, we need to take that literally. When it says that homosexuality is bad, we need to take that literally.

But when it explicitly says that you shouldn't object to people taking your possessions, or defend yourself when someone strikes you, or that you shouldn't be rich...well, now of course we need to interpret it in order to figure out what it really means. Because after all, just taking what it says literally would be crazy, right?
:)

1 Corinthians 1
21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Back