Trying to hard to believe

wynn:

The question is, where does that thought go and lead to.

It leads to the conclusion that you are simply wrong.

One can believe in God, then later not believe in God. Simple.

Elvis was a popular, good-looking musician.
God is the one being that contextualizes all other beings.

Do you see any difference between the two?

How is the difference relevant to the question of whether one believes that God or Elvis is real?

Again, that is so only in the case of defining theism as "a belief in God, or god(s)".
Which, as we already addressed in the other thread, is a problematic definition.

My dictionary has:

theism (n.): The doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods​

It's the standard definition of the word.

Why is the standard definition problematic? I don't remember you spelling that out. Has it something to do with your "omnimax" fixation?

You were actually agreeing with Jan there

Great. Then we all agree!

...as Jan was saying that the OP never was a theist to begin with.

How does he know?

Of course, in this case, Jan and I have in roundabout the same idea of theism, which is different than yours.

If theism is not belief in the existence of a God or gods, what is it?

James R,

Go to practically any atheist forum and you'll find whole subforums dedicated to "How I became an atheist".

Or, if you want an example of a preacher who became an atheist, try this:

James, I don't think the sub-heading you gave me is the correct one as the ones I read didn't really address the questions at hand.
However I did find a you tube link from an intelligent guy who explains what he went through to become an atheist, and I think that it
ould help jaylew in what he is going through, so something good did come from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LALupOxHS7U

Regarding the link you sent, I'm not going to pay for a book to find out that he doesn't (Dan Barker), nay, cannot give an explanation for the questions posed.
I looked at stuff about him on the internet, and he's nowhere close to explaining it.

Oh, you didn't get it. Here is my answer:

They reinterpreted their experiences and decided that they weren't an experience of God after all.​

And as wynn as already informed you, that is what I am saying to jaylew.
The reality is, the out and out atheist mentally has no connection to God, so obviously they cannot accept that God exists, and if they enter into a religious situation,
they enter it based on their mentallity. In the same breath, a person can be atheist by denying God, His power, His existence even, but become theist when reality kicks in (usually when their backs are against the wall).

I don't think having no connection with God is a bad thing. I see it as choice we make sub consciously.
Using the Amish religion as an example. The children are born into the religion, but at some point in their lives they are given the freedom to experience the world. At that point
they make a decision one way or the other, and that choice is branded in their sub conscious guiding all their acts. It's neither a good thing or a bad thing, it just is. That's the nature of experience.

Sorry, Jan. I have better things to do with my time than trawl back through your posts to remind you of what you forgot. You can do that yourself.

I hear you. All I ask, is that next time to see fit accuse me of something accompany it with some kind of explanation, reason, or example. Is that fair enough?

jan.

You should know, you do the same thing.
I pick on strong people who are pretty snarky themselves and can give as well as they get: like you. ;) She is picking on someone who is sad and confused and conflicted and hurting and came here asking for help.

It leads to the conclusion that you are simply wrong.

One can believe in God, then later not believe in God. Simple.

My dictionary has:

theism (n.): The doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods​

It's the standard definition of the word.

Why is the standard definition problematic? I don't remember you spelling that out. Has it something to do with your "omnimax" fixation?

If referring to a dictionary definition could solve all problems, then neither science nor philosophy would be necessary.
But obviously, things don't work that way.

How is the difference relevant to the question of whether one believes that God or Elvis is real?

When people say they "believe in Elvis" this means to them things like 'admiring Elvis, building a shrine in one's home about Elvis, listening to his music, using his music as a source of inspiration and solace, going to Elvis conventions' etc.
The issue of whether Elvis was real or not doesn't enter much into their consideration; clearly, they believe Elvis really existed, but the belief that Elvis really existed is negligible in what such people mean when they say they "believe in Elvis."

When people say they "believe in God," they may mean a number of things by that. For some, it indeed means that they merely believe God is a real, a truly existing entity. But from what I've seen, people usually mean a lot more when they say they "believe in God;" ie. they mean things like 'belief that God will keep the promises He gave in the Bible; belief that God will make everything alright in the end; being loyal to God; worshipping God; admiring God' etc.

Great. Then we all agree!

On that one point, we all agree, yes. But we don't agree on the causes nor on the consequences of it.

How does he know?

Ask him.

If theism is not belief in the existence of a God or gods, what is it?

You will have noticed that people who consider themselves "theists" tend to have a significantly more complex view on what "theism" and "being a theist" means; they tend to mean that "belief in God" (and even "belief in god(s)") is about a lot more than just believing said God or god(s) really exist.

You are reducing all these varying ideas about theism to what appears to be one common denominator, ie. "belief in the existence of." But such a reduction seems irrelevant to most people who consider themselves "theists" or "believing in God" or "believing in god(s)".

Basically, you're operating with an abstract, simplistic definition of theism that is generally not used by those who actually consider themselves "theists."
As such, your definition is inadequate.

The reality is, the out and out atheist mentally has no connection to God, so obviously they cannot accept that God exists, and if they enter into a religious situation, they enter it based on their mentality.

Agreed.

One crucial point here is this:

There is momentum that builds up from (even just externally, superficially) participating in an activity. Simply because a person has invested so much time, effort, money etc. into an activity, they may conclude that their investment is genuine, worth it, and that the thing they invested in is genuine and worth it. This is a bias that can arise due to investment.
This goes for investing in romantic relationships, investing in stocks, a (nominally) religious activity or any other investment.

But despite all this investment, things may start to go badly, and one day the person begins to have doubts. "Why did I marry this person? ... Oh my, I think I'm in the wrong career. ... Why are the dividends of my stocks so low, when my partner gets so much back for the same invested money? ... I've been a minister for twenty years, but what does "believing in God" really mean? ..."

Then people start to investigate, try to figure out what's going on, what went wrong, who's to blame, what to do next.

In the process of all this, it can be very difficult to admit that one has made a mistake. Chances are that the more one has invested into something, the more difficult it will be to admit that one has made a mistake, what to speak of rectifying it.

Then there can also be an effort to shift the blame, to save face.
For example, when a marriage is on the rocks, one spouse may place the whole blame on the other one, in an effort to hide from the painful reality that they married for money, or that they married this person because the person they actually wanted to marry, didn't want them.
It's been my casual observation that similar sometimes happens in religion: People take up a religion, seem really serious about it, make a point of presenting themselves to others as true believers - while all along ignoring that they have had serious doubts from the beginning on. Once the going gets tough, they blame the religion, other believers, declare God doesn't exist, etc. - anything but admit they never really believed anyway.

People who were born and raised into a religion can have a specific set of problems. Notably, some of them take a lot for granted, never going down into the dirt to build a solid religious foundation for themselves. Such people are much like people who have inherited a fortune and are used to live big, but who have never learned to earn the kind of money that is necessary to support their expensive lifestyle - when the inherited money runs out, they are at a loss as to what to do, as their world comes crashing down.

This seems to be the scenario that the OP is facing. I think this is actually a very good opportunity for him to begin building a solid religious foundation for himself.

When people say they "believe in Elvis" this means to them things like 'admiring Elvis, building a shrine in one's home about Elvis, listening to his music, using his music as a source of inspiration and solace, going to Elvis conventions' etc.
The issue of whether Elvis was real or not doesn't enter much into their consideration; clearly, they believe Elvis really existed, but the belief that Elvis really existed is negligible in what such people mean when they say they "believe in Elvis."

Why doesn't the issue of Elvis being real enter into their consideration much, because they actually saw him? But nobody has ever seen a physical "God" so you can see how one doesn't equate to the other, right?

The question of belief in Elvis is simply if one believes Elvis was a real person, or that he was akin to the great pumpkin.

Okay, so if she didn't believe, he wouldn't have this dilema, and everything would be fine regarding this dilema?

That seems to be what he's suggesting.

Their two completely different words, of course you have to differentiate between them.

Not when they're talking about the same thing, which in this case is Christianity. So, please, enlighten me as to the purpose of differentiating "faith" from "Christianity" here.

No shit Sherlock!
| said it way before your prediction. You said:

After I pointed out what part of his posts indicate that he's being pressured, I said you probably will say that's not what it is. Then you went ahead and proved me right by saying that's not what it is. Then you tried to say my prediction wasn't accurate, even though it was. You're flailing, Jan, it's really getting embarrassing for you.

So you're saying his words aren't clear, that the words say one thing but the intention is different?

Is this really that confusing for you?

He said that he felt bad abut his family wishing him to become a Christian, that he didn't get to share in his wife's interests. He's trying to crowbar Utilitarianism into the debate as an excuse to justify accepting the faith for the sake of his family and marriage. This all amounts to pressure and stress. He doesn't have to say outright that he's feeling pressured, because the symptoms are spelled out in what he does actually say. It's like when you go to the doctor and tell him or her your joints are stiff, you're expelling fluids from both ends, and you can't think straight. You didn't say outright that you have the flu, but you've just described the symptoms.

Is that more clear for you now?

If that's what he said to you, fair enough. But he didn't write that, and that's my point.

Your point is wrong, because that's what he's saying.

It's not intended sarcasm, I just find it a bit cold. Then again I'm not surprised.

It obviously was intended sarcasm, but you don't even have the integrity to admit it now that it blew up in your face. Then again, I'm not surprised.

Balerion, this is all in your head. Try and focus.

The one thing me and your magic sky-daddy have in common is that you can't simply ask us to make your ills go away. I'm sorry that you're getting trounced here, but telling me that your mistakes and agendas are in my head isn't fooling me or anyone else.

Firstly, this isn't a ''semantics debate'', the opening post is all I have to go off, so I will use it to make my points. If you know anything else due to contacting him, then I'm obviously at a disadvantage.

You're trying to turn it into a semantics debate by insisting that the definitions of certain words are not what they actually are. This is in an effort to distract from the fact that your points are being soundly defeated. It isn't going to work. And you can drop it with this new insinuation that jayleew and I are secretly communicating. I've made it clear that his words in this thread are enough to reach the conclusion I have reached. If you can't see it, it's because you don't want to see it. You know, the whole intellectual dishonesty thing.

You say ''struggling with his familiy's expectations of him'' as though he used those words in the OP. He didn't.

So, according to you, there is no way to glean a concept unless such a concept is explicitly and specifically stated? Sorry, Jan, but that's flatly untrue.

I got the impression that his struggle stems from ''...not having the heart to tell his wife he doesn't believe''.

He's already told her he doesn't believe. They all know, which is why they constantly wish that he would convert. This is where the struggle comes from, the fact that he's not able to be himself without his family making him feel like he's doing something wrong.

Now there may be a good few reasons why that is, and the reason you gave could well be one of them, but it's not as obvious as you seem to think, unless of course you're just eager to justify your irrational hatred of anything to do with God.

On the contrary, it's you who is trying to justify your hatred of atheism by pinning the blame for this ordeal on the atheist. You've even accused him of not thinking clearly, because in your mind there's no way to be a true believer and then stop being a true believer, unless perhaps their minds have been "poisoned" by atheism.

I must say, the analogy of a girl suffering sexual abuse from a relative, is way out there, but as it's from you, there's no surprise.

No idea what you're suggesting here. Are you saying I'm a rapist? What's the point of that comment?

In any case, the point of making the abuse analogy was to show you how ridiculous your argument is when applied to a different scenario. I used abuse because I imagined it's one we would both agree on that blaming the victim is wrong.

But obviously if anyone is being raped, it's not their problem.

So how is it jayleew's problem that he's being pressured by his family? It's the same premise--someone is being acted negatively upon by another, resulting in certain negative emotional responses.

Yeah! It's all their fault, isn't it?

For making him feel bad for being an atheist? Yes. It is.

Accusations aren't answers.

The question has been answered multiple times.

He may feel the pressure to convert, but he hasn't stated that they are the ones generating this pressure.
Feeling miserable for disappointing his loved ones is not exclusive to his particular dilema, IOW it's kind of a universal feeling for anyone.
Unless his wife and family only loved him because they thought he was a believer, and would drop him in a New York minute upon finding out he's not... Or the last 15 years
revolved exclusively around christianity, church, and belief, nothing else, then I'd tend to lean more towards they do share interests.
He did mention that he goes to the church every so often (not all the time), and that as far as their belief goes, they are pretty okay, and his dislikes were the words to the songs because he couldn't relate. So I'm not feeling this Stalinian gig that you seem to think dominates.

Again we come to the false dilemma of them needing to withhold love or threaten to leave for it to equate to pressure. That's not how it works, Jan. The fact that they're always "wishing" for his return to the flock is the source of that pressure. And no one said it's exclusively a religious phenomena; I have no idea where you pulled that one from. (Well, given the rest of your post, I have some idea...) There doesn't need to be an ultimatum. It can be passive-aggressive, which it absolutely is in this case.

Oh yeah! Let's do what's relevant. Divorce his family, chances are he will go through hell, but that's alright it's all relevant. Way to go Davros.

How do you know he will go through hell? Maybe it will be the best thing he ever did. You have no idea, you're just assuming because that's the only way you can make your argument. Divorce must be this awful thing that nobody recovers from, otherwise you'd have no reason to get so up in arms about people suggesting it as an alternative to living in a bad marriage.

Obviously you seem confident in this his family is on his ass to convert, or the selfish wife thing, but I can't go there because there's nothing in what he say's that points to it.

Everything points to it. You refuse to see it because of what it implies.

Fraggle and Jayleew have:

No they aren't. They're saying that they reevaluated their situations and came to the conclusion that there is no God. That is not the same as saying "Because believers stopped believing, there is no God."

And James is pointing at it, given his definition of "theism."

You still haven't even attempted to articulate why his definition of theism is an issue, or what it has at all to do with this topic.

Read the thread. I reply to the posts that seem most succinct about the topic or an issue that has come up.

I did read the thread. I saw no attempt by you to explain yourself. That is why I asked you to explain yourself.

Do you, too, define theism as "a belief in God or god(s)"?

I would add the qualifier "personal" to that definition, since without it, deism seems pointless. But that's near enough for me. Again, why? What's the point? You only get as far as asking the question, and then making an opaque Elvis analogy, but you never actually explain yourself. How is it that once a person believes in an omnimax God, it must be forever?

You can't force a child to believe in God anymore than you can force them to like brocholi.
Uhh... I think the human race has proven that you can force a child to do practically anything. And belief is hardly the most challenging example of this power. For the first few years of a child's life he is a sponge, soaking up everything he sees, hears and experiences. My second-generation atheist parents "forced" me to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny by showing me the gifts they had left for us on their respective holidays.

We trust our parents by instinct; it's a survival trait in most endothermic animals because we can't survive without them for a while after birth. So the option of wondering whether they might be lying and instead set out those gifts while I was sleeping never entered my mind. Some baby animals, especially of non-social species like tigers, stop regarding their parents as perfect as soon as they can start gathering their own food, but it takes us several years before the phrase "my parents might be wrong" becomes allowable in our heads. This is why even abusive parents are trusted: "They must have a reason for punishing me even though I can't see it."

Fortunately they were kind enough to explain the truth before long. A couple of years later when I learned that some children believed in "God" I asked them why their parents had not yet told them the truth about that. They squirmed and said that the problem is that their parents' parents had never told them the truth. I said that couldn't be true. After being told about Santa Claus I figured out the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all by myself. Surely at some early point in childhood these people would realize that God is also a fairytale. Right, Momma? Right, Daddy? Hello? More squirming as they had to admit that somehow many adults never manage to figure that out. This was the point in my life when I became a cynic. I'm supposed to respect these morons? You're kidding!

You have a choice whether to accept what you know as knowledge or not.
You don't have this choice at the beginning of your life. It's something that evolves as your brain continues to grow to its full size and power. Humans are born with the smallest brain (relative to adult size) of any placental mammal precisely because the adult size is so uniquely enormous that it can't possibly fit through the birth canal. (Whose width is constrained by our also-unique habit of bipedalism and the resulting need for our legs to not be so far apart that the rocking couple generated by walking would make us look and feel like cartoon characters.)

Just as it takes a few years to start wondering whether our parents are always right, it also takes a while before we start questioning the veracity of things we know. As I have pointed out many times on this website, Homo sapiens clearly has an instinct to believe in supernatural creatures and other phenomena. It occurs in every culture in every era, what Jung calls an archetype. People like my family who don't have this instinct are clearly a recent mutation, and hopefully one that will be selected for in future generations. It's difficult to figure out what environmental pressure caused this instinct to propagate. Perhaps it was a perfectly rational response to a danger our distant ancestors faced that we can't possibly imagine. But it's just as likely that it was simply passed down by sheer chance through a genetic bottleneck; we have gone through more than one of those.

At any rate, something that you have known since birth feels more true than any knowledge you acquire later through reasoning and learning. Therefore instinctive motifs are damnably difficult to get rid of.

I know you're being molly-cuddled, and advised that I'm a troll, and to put me on ignore. But I know i'm not trolling . . . .
I did not mean to imply that I was accusing you of trolling, at least not this time. You were bullying the poor fellow. Perhaps it honestly didn't feel like that to you, but it sure looked like it to me. For this reason I only suggested that one person consider putting you on IGNORE, not that you be subject to discipline by the moderators.

. . . . and the only reason i'm to be put on ignore is because I'm asking question that reveal your true state of mind, instead of playing the usual game.
No, it's because you caught a fellow at a moment in his life when he feels besieged and bullied by his own family, and your response was to besiege and bully him yourself. You didn't just question decisions which he had made slowly and carefully and logically, and were so important that he was willing to undergo the grief of family turbulence in order to be true to himself and stand by them... you actually told him after all that time and effort that his decisions are wrong! How can you possibly have gathered enough information about this major chunk of his life to be so cavalier about dismissing it as a wrong turn?

Secularists cannot define spirituality because such a definition does not exist in the language.
Poppycock. To drill down from "spirituality" through "spiritual" to "spirit" in Dictionary.com: "2. the incorporeal part of humans; 3. the soul regarded as separating from the body at death; 4. conscious, incorporeal being, as opposed to matter; 9. the divine influence as an agency working in the human heart; 10. a divine, inspiring, or animating being or influence; 12. the soul or heart as the seat of feelings or sentiments, or as prompting to action; 25. God."

Since the word "spirit" has numerous other meanings with no supernatural overtones I left them out. These are the meanings that carry forward to "spiritual" and "spirituality." Indeed we who are not religious insist that "the incorporeal part of humans," "the soul," "divine influence," and "God" refer to fantasy rather than reality. But we still understand them and can use them correctly.

You advise a man to divorce his wife because she believes in God?
No. I advise a man to include the possibility of divorcing his wife as one option in his search for a solution, in order for him to see the full spectrum of futures available to him. And in any case, not to divorce her because she believes in God, but because she and her entire family are bullying him about it. This arguably falls into the category of spousal abuse, which always suggests divorce as a realistic choice but not by any means the best or only choice. I think that when a person expands his field of view to take in all realistic resolutions to his problem, it makes it much easier to decide what to do. He may very well say, "Screw you Fraggle, ain't no way I'm gonna do that!" In which case he'll have no choice but to take the other potential resolutions much more seriously and stop asking for help in making such an intimate, personal decision.

You describe her's and her children's life position as ''vile crap'' without even knowing them?
Like all Americans I have lived my entire life surrounded by religion. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is "vile crap."

I have followed jaylew's journey from the day he announced that he was an atheist, and am aware of his reasoning. For any of us to even consider divorce, and say it out loud, is nothing short of potential destruction.
I respect your point of view (for a change ;)) but I disagree. I don't think he's going to get anywhere in this endless saga of tortured reasoning, until and unless he is willing to include every potential solution in the list of possibilities. If he doesn't admit to himself that divorce is one way out of this particular dilemma, but it will introduce a host of other dilemmas into his life (several of which will be utterly horrible), he's shielding himself from the true range of consequences, and therefore from the true importance of the original dilemma.

If I can dither over whether I should put a full-time diaper on my elderly dog or simply restrict her to rooms with no carpeting, I can pretend that I can dither about that indefinitely. But if I have to accept the fact that she'll continue to get worse in many other ways until it becomes a quality-of-life issue, I suddenly have to slap myself in the face and get serious. Put on an industrial-grade diaper so I can hug her every night while we sleep, until we have to make that last slow trip to the vet.

As a Christian, the primary requirement is that one believes in God and accepts Jesus as the Son of God. Really, nothing else is required to get you to heaven.
Well... there is a very strong directive to spread the word of God throughout the land. After all Christianity, like Islam and unlike Judaism, is an evangelical religion. Most American denominations soft-pedal this and consider themselves lucky if a large percentage of their congregation simply show up regularly rather than just on Christmas and Easter. But there are pentacostal/evangelical/charismatic/fundamentalist denominations where this is an important obligation. You probably don't get much of this Down Under, but up here we're often accosted by Jehovah's Witnesses ("the Watchtower Society"), Mormons ("Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints") and members of other very aggressive American-hatched churches who will keep telling us we're on our way to Hell and only they can save us, until we finally give them the finger and walk quickly away. When it's friends, neighbors or family, this can be a real problem. I get the impression that Jay's family doesn't belong to one of these churches, but nonetheless they seem to have the fear that they will fail in their duty to God if they let him go to Hell, and if God's in an Old-Testament kind of bad mood he might send them there with him for punishment.

So from a Christian point of view the worst thing possible is for your loved one not to believe; the non-believer risks his immortal soul. It is understandable that any true Christian will do his utmost to convince you to accept Christ into your life.
This is how we distinguish true old-fashioned Christians from the more modern American kind. They are beginning to understand the concept of metaphor. They recognize that a good person might actually be a good person, regardless of his attitude toward Bronze Age fairytales. Again, Jay's wife's church gives signs of falling into this category. He's clearly not outraged by long sermons about fire and brimstone because they don't take place in that church.

Since Paul essentially ditched the Jewish laws, the primary requirement for Christians has been to commit themselves to Christ. Everything else is secondary.
But the imperative to spread God's word to the four corners of the Earth (which was flat and square in those days) is very strong. After all, he had a big problem with the Jews because they decided not to be evangelical and (according to some Jewish scholars) this is the reason he's been punishing them relentlessly forever.

If it turns out that you're wrong and the Christian God does exist after all, then you still have nothing to worry about. That God is supposed to be All Good. He will understand why you didn't believe, and forgive you.
Exactly what our Christian friends tell us. They cannot believe in a god who is so burdened by pride and petulance that he'd toss people out of heaven for the single reason that they didn't believe in him.

If your relationship with your wife is strong enough, it should be able to withstand your telling her that you don't believe.
I'd guess that her parents are the bigger problem. In-laws have brought strife to many an otherwise well-adjusted marriage.

He loves his wife and family. Why would he want to give them up? For what?
To replace one kind of pain with another. Only he can decide which is worse. Unfortunately he'll only know how bad the second kind is after he's made a (certainly) irreversible decision to leave.

I get the feeling that divorce would not sit well with him.
It shouldn't sit well with any married person who still has young children in the home.

1. From what I gather, the difficulty arises from him, not from all parties. He feels that he cannot be honest with his wife, regarding his not believing in God.
He's made it quite clear that the bullying by her parents is a major part of his problem. She is bullying him too, but I wonder how long that would go on if her parents stopped.

I am not a theist, nor have I ever considered myself one, but I do think that once a person believes in God, they do so forever; and that if someone seems to have lost their faith in God, this is indicative that they didn't have it in the first place.
Wow. You've answered a question that the world's greatest philosophers have been wrestling with for centuries.

When will we be able to read the 500-page paper in which you set forth this incredible discovery in proper scholarly language and rebut the thousands of counterarguments you've already gotten?

There is a difference between belief in God and belief in Elvis Presley, for example.
Indeed. This is a place of science and we can explain that simply be trotting out the Scientific Method.

The Rule of Laplace advises us: Extraordinary assertions must be supported by extraordinary evidence before anyone is obliged to treat them with respect.

The existence of an invisible and illogical supernatural being living in an invisible and illogical supernatural universe who whimsically and often petulantly interferes with the operation of the natural universe would invalidate the fundamental premise that underlies all science: "The natural universe is a closed system whose behavior can be predicted by theories derived logically from empirical evidence of its present and past behavior." This makes the assertion of the existence of God the most extraordinary assertion ever presented. So it clearly requires the presentation of some extraordinary evidence before we should bother listening to it being stated for the five-millionth time. By now we're so tired of it that we'd lower the bar and look at merely ordinary evidence, yet even that is absent. The best we've been shown is one tortilla out of millions cooked every year with a scorch mark that is claimed to be the image of a biblical figure of whom no portraits exist against which to compare it.

The existence of Elvis, on the other hand does not require the suspension of logic, common sense or the Scientific Method. He is said to have been a mere mortal who, with some musical talent and a lot of good luck, became one of dozens of pop stars of the rock'n'roll era, then died a perfectly mortal (and quintessentially rock-star) death. On top of that, there are a million hours of film, kinescope and audio recordings of him, and in addition millions of people who saw him perform and even met him personally are still alive to provide first-person evidence (not hearsay from people in the Bronze Age passed down through hundreds of generations).

Despite all of this, it's possible that Elvis was not real. But to claim that he was is not an extraordinary assertion, so someone who makes that claim need not be escorted out of the academy of science covered with tar and feathers.

No, it's nonsense to say that being an atheist is "his" problem. An atheist is who he is, and if someone else has a problem with it, that's their problem.
Indeed. It's certainly our problem that the majority of the people in this country are theists.

No, the problem is that they make him feel bad for being who he is.
Well put. That's bullying. The same way we bully people who are gay, female or dark-skinned.

Maybe you are right, and he is being pressured to convert, but he didn't say he was presented with that kind of pressure.
Actually I think he did. Unfortunately this thread has gotten too long to go back and search for it.

Wants to what? Stay with his wife? I'm sure he does, but that's not relevant to whether or not he can stay with her and be happy.
Uhh... I beg to differ. A man who wants to stay with his wife and does so will be considerably happier than one who did not want to stay but stayed for other reasons, such as providing a (somewhat) stable home for their children.

It's going to depend on whether or not his wife and family can get off his back about converting . . . .
This is why I have stressed to him that what they are doing is indeed bullying. There's so much discussion today of the prevalence of bullying and the horrors it causes, that he might actually be able to make them stop and think when he brings that word into the family conversation.

When people say they "believe in God," they may mean a number of things by that. For some, it indeed means that they merely believe God is a real, a truly existing entity. But from what I've seen, people usually mean a lot more when they say they "believe in God;" ie. they mean things like 'belief that God will keep the promises He gave in the Bible; belief that God will make everything alright in the end; being loyal to God; worshipping God; admiring God' etc.

If belief that Elvis is alive today isn't integral to "believing in Elvis," then you're misusing the term. What you're describing above Elvis about is a fondness for Elvis. A fanhood. Not a belief that he is secretly alive.

Of course, even accepting those differences, we are no closer to supporting your initial claim, which was "Once someone believes in an omnimax god, it is for life."

You will have noticed that people who consider themselves "theists" tend to have a significantly more complex view on what "theism" and "being a theist" means; they tend to mean that "belief in God" (and even "belief in god(s)") is about a lot more than just believing said God or god(s) really exist.

You are reducing all these varying ideas about theism to what appears to be one common denominator, ie. "belief in the existence of." But such a reduction seems irrelevant to most people who consider themselves "theists" or "believing in God" or "believing in god(s)".

Basically, you're operating with an abstract, simplistic definition of theism that is generally not used by those who actually consider themselves "theists."

No, what's happening here is you're unnecessarily complicating matters by extending "theism" to include the dogmas of every denomination of organized religion. Theism really is just a broad view of a particular kind of belief; it isn't a belief system. For that, one must choose a religion. Theism isn't a religion, it's just a view on the existence of gods, their number, and perhaps their level of involvement. If one theist believes the messiah has already come and therefore Law A is in effect, whereas another theist believes there is no messiah and therefore Law B, C, and D are all in effect, to therefore define theism as "Sometimes the belief in this, sometimes the belief in that, or not, or both, but sometimes not either or some of one then a little of another," is ludicrous, and effectively argues that the word "theism" has no definition. In reality, it's a very broad term, not intended to include the various laws and rituals and beliefs inherent to the various religious denominations.

EDIT: Fraggle, I made an error in correcting your error! The actual passage is "Maybe you are right, and he is being pressured to convert, but he didn't say he was presented with that kind of pressure." which was written by Jan and attributed to me.

Last edited:
Jan Ardena:

Regarding the link you sent, I'm not going to pay for a book to find out that he doesn't (Dan Barker), nay, cannot give an explanation for the questions posed.
I looked at stuff about him on the internet, and he's nowhere close to explaining it.

I linked you to that book as an example of somebody who was "called" to the service of God, who was a preacher and Christian song writer for many year, who was a keen evangelical out to convince others to come to God etc. etc., but who gradually came to the realisation that God isn't real. In other words, this is an example of somebody who had strong faith, who honestly felt personally called by God, but who nevertheless eventually stopped believing in God.

Your claim is that such a thing can never happen. You would presumably claim, in this case, that Dan Barker never really, properly believed in God like he should have, that he was always really an atheist, and so on and so forth - against the actual man's testimony that refutes your claim.

And this is just one example.

The reality is, the out and out atheist mentally has no connection to God, so obviously they cannot accept that God exists, and if they enter into a religious situation, they enter it based on their mentallity.

In other words, your claim is that a person like Dan Barker was always really of an "atheist mentality", regardless of anything he tells us to the contrary. You, Jan Ardena, know him better than he knows himself. Apparently. The arrogance of your position is quite breath-taking.

In the same breath, a person can be atheist by denying God, His power, His existence even, but become theist when reality kicks in (usually when their backs are against the wall).

Correct. I would say, however, that many atheists like that, who would apparently spin on a dime, probably would not have been strongly religious or anti-religious prior to their theism "kicking in". Compare somebody like Dan Barker, who was so strongly committed to his religion that he dedicated his life to it, becoming an evangelical preacher.

I don't think having no connection with God is a bad thing. I see it as choice we make sub consciously.

I think you'll find that for at least some atheists, it's a very conscious decision.

I notice, also, that all along your language is loaded. You say atheists "deny God", which carries the baggage of the presumption that there is a God to deny. In fact, from the other side, all atheists have is a lack of belief in an imaginary being that you happen to think is real. Denial involves refusing to admit to the truth of a fact. If God doesn't exist, then atheism isn't denying anything - it is actually the truthful position.

wynn:

If referring to a dictionary definition could solve all problems, then neither science nor philosophy would be necessary.
But obviously, things don't work that way.

Fine. Then give me your preferred definition of "theism". Then we'll be in a position to discuss which of the definitions is superior or more useful.

When people say they "believe in Elvis" this means to them things like 'admiring Elvis, building a shrine in one's home about Elvis, listening to his music, using his music as a source of inspiration and solace, going to Elvis conventions' etc....[snip]

Yes yes. You've mixed up believing that Elvis exists (cf. believing that God exists) with believing a whole lot of stuff connected with Elvis.

Yes. And similarly, theists take belief in God as their starting point, then add in a whole lot of other beliefs about God that they consider very important. I get it.

The bare minimum requirement for believing in God, I would say, would be believing that God is real. Everything else comes after that. Do you disagree?

Yes. And many atheists also feel that atheism has implications beyond just not believing that God is real.

No, I'm not saying theism is only about "belief in the existence of". But that's the bare minimum content of theism.

I'm sorry, but I've lost any sense of why this point you're making is relevant to the topic being discussed in this thread. Could you please remind me?

Fine. Then give me your preferred definition of "theism". Then we'll be in a position to discuss which of the definitions is superior or more useful.

Theism: worship of, service to, loyalty to God.

One of the problems with defining theism as "belief in God or god(s)" is that by this criteria, Satan, the demons and some atheists would have to be counted as theists, since these beings are said to know God or believe that God exists, but they refuse to acknowledge God as their Lord.
Surely you see there's a problem with defining theism in a way that includes its opposite.

Yes. And similarly, theists take belief in God as their starting point, then add in a whole lot of other beliefs about God that they consider very important. I get it.

The bare minimum requirement for believing in God, I would say, would be believing that God is real. Everything else comes after that. Do you disagree?

I think this is merely an abstract retrospective conjecture about how belief in God comes to be. Even some theists sometimes explain it that way.

I think that in reality, based on my observations and conversations with people, theists and atheists, this is a lot more complex, and varies from one theistic religion to another, and varies from individual to individual.

Bottomline, one cannot start off by believing that God is real, unless one already works with some attributes of God. Without having some idea of God's attributes, one cannot judge about God's realness. - The same goes for every other thing we wonder about whether it exists or not.
To work with some attributes of God, one has to choose a definition of "God," and this can be religion-specific.

It's the same with believing that apples exist. You can believe that apples exist precisely because you're working with some idea of what an "apple" is, and you have developed/inherited that idea in the process of your acculturation/socialization.

Without starting off with an idea of what an apple is, you couldn't tell whether this

red_delicious_apple.jpg

is an apple or not, or whether a thing like depicted here when you hold it in your hand, is real or not.

And just like you trust that idea of what an "apple" is that you picked up in the process of acculturation, so some people trust that idea of "God" that they have picked up in the process of acculturation.

No, I'm not saying theism is only about "belief in the existence of". But that's the bare minimum content of theism.

That is so from the perspective of some atheists, yes.

I'm sorry, but I've lost any sense of why this point you're making is relevant to the topic being discussed in this thread. Could you please remind me?

You are defining a phenomenon with a definition that is extraneous to it.
Much like it would be extraneous for, say, biologists to define the terms in physics, and expecting the physicists to abide by the definitions given by biologists.

Bottomline, one cannot start off by believing that God is real, unless one already works with some attributes of God. Without having some idea of God's attributes, one cannot judge about God's realness. - The same goes for every other thing we wonder about whether it exists or not.

So the legitimacy of God being real is based on one's judgement and not necessarily of a true fact? In other words, is there an ultimate truth to the question is God real or not, or is the real truth that God is only real if one judges God to be real?

Wow. You've answered a question that the world's greatest philosophers have been wrestling with for centuries.

When will we be able to read the 500-page paper in which you set forth this incredible discovery in proper scholarly language and rebut the thousands of counterarguments you've already gotten?

The Rule of Laplace advises us: Extraordinary assertions must be supported by extraordinary evidence before anyone is obliged to treat them with respect.

Oh Christ. You know something? Suit yourself.

If you want to play the victim, if you insist on being passive in the process, this is your prerogative. But I won't indulge in it indefinitely.

The burden of understanding is one the one who wants to understand. Not on the one who claims to understand or who claims to want others to understand.

The existence of an invisible and illogical supernatural being living in an invisible and illogical supernatural universe who whimsically and often petulantly interferes with the operation of the natural universe would invalidate the fundamental premise that underlies all science: "The natural universe is a closed system whose behavior can be predicted by theories derived logically from empirical evidence of its present and past behavior." This makes the assertion of the existence of God the most extraordinary assertion ever presented. So it clearly requires the presentation of some extraordinary evidence before we should bother listening to it being stated for the five-millionth time. By now we're so tired of it that we'd lower the bar and look at merely ordinary evidence, yet even that is absent. The best we've been shown is one tortilla out of millions cooked every year with a scorch mark that is claimed to be the image of a biblical figure of whom no portraits exist against which to compare it.

The existence of Elvis, on the other hand does not require the suspension of logic, common sense or the Scientific Method. He is said to have been a mere mortal who, with some musical talent and a lot of good luck, became one of dozens of pop stars of the rock'n'roll era, then died a perfectly mortal (and quintessentially rock-star) death. On top of that, there are a million hours of film, kinescope and audio recordings of him, and in addition millions of people who saw him perform and even met him personally are still alive to provide first-person evidence (not hearsay from people in the Bronze Age passed down through hundreds of generations).

Despite all of this, it's possible that Elvis was not real. But to claim that he was is not an extraordinary assertion, so someone who makes that claim need not be escorted out of the academy of science covered with tar and feathers.

Do you even realize what you're doing to yourself with this kind of thinking?

You're not taking responsibility for what you reflect on and how, but are leaving your mind to wander and to think about whatever and however it happens to think, with you merely passively waiting that someone who is making some claim would explain themselves to you.

This is why I have stressed to him that what they are doing is indeed bullying. There's so much discussion today of the prevalence of bullying and the horrors it causes, that he might actually be able to make them stop and think when he brings that word into the family conversation.

The actual bully are a person's own fears, worries, doubts, insecurities.

It's because of one's own fears, worries, doubts, insecurities, that ordinary difficult situations (which are a given in any walk of life) take on disproportionate dimensions.

So the legitimacy of God being real is based on one's judgement and not necessarily of a true fact? In other words, is there an ultimate truth to the question is God real or not, or is the real truth that God is only real if one judges God to be real?

This topic cannot be adequately discussed unless we first look into what you mean by "truth" and "real."

Of course, even accepting those differences, we are no closer to supporting your initial claim, which was "Once someone believes in an omnimax god, it is for life."

As a matter of truisms, how could it be otherwise? One can and does grow out of inferior definitions of "God," leaving them behind - because they are inferior. How could one leave behind the supreme definition?

If belief in God includes a progressive refining of one's understanding of "God," then such a belief is self-perpetuating.

No, what's happening here is you're unnecessarily complicating matters by extending "theism" to include the dogmas of every denomination of organized religion. Theism really is just a broad view of a particular kind of belief; it isn't a belief system. For that, one must choose a religion. Theism isn't a religion, it's just a view on the existence of gods, their number, and perhaps their level of involvement. If one theist believes the messiah has already come and therefore Law A is in effect, whereas another theist believes there is no messiah and therefore Law B, C, and D are all in effect, to therefore define theism as "Sometimes the belief in this, sometimes the belief in that, or not, or both, but sometimes not either or some of one then a little of another," is ludicrous, and effectively argues that the word "theism" has no definition.

In reality, it's a very broad term, not intended to include the various laws and rituals and beliefs inherent to the various religious denominations.

And some people think these

A-pomegranate-007.jpg

potato.jpg

are kinds of apples (the Germans and the French do).

IOW, a term may be so broad that it becomes useless, misleading, or falsely produces a semblance of phenomena being of the same kind, when in fact they are not.

Truth and real are terms I mean to imply facts and reality.

And "facts" and "reality" are what?

Surely you are aware that for the past few millennia, philosophy has been focusing on these terms intensely, noting that they are anything but easily definable.

Back