Trying to hard to believe

jayleew,
Jaylew, you're just kidding yourself. You most probably said you believed because it fitted with your life situation, but there's no way you believed simply because nothing you say has any indication, of comprehension of spirituality (outside of a materialist notion).

You're an atheist, you always was an atheist, and now you feel it's time to stop pretending, and I couldn't agree with you more. Just be yourself.
You couldn't be more wrong in this statement. I am an atheist, but I was a theist. There was a time in between that was pretending. If you could go back to the first post I made on sciforums in 2005. You will see that I was evangelizing because I was firm believer in God. I wanted to share with everyone my life and help them on their spiritual walk to remove any doubts they may have. I still remember all the events in my life where I never felt closer and in touch with who I was and who was God.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I could say the same thing about you that you were always a theist and you don't know how to think for yourself because it was always a part of your life and there was never a time where you doubted. Would that be right? Well, it wouldn't be fair to say the least. You presume too much.

That's not the kind of belief I'm talking about, but the fact that you think it is only validates my point.
You're overgeneralizing, belief is specifically:
1. An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
2. Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.

I can accept something is true today and through evidence accept something is not true tomorrow or vice versa.

I get that, just like at a secular funeral they may say a poem (instead of offering prayers to God), while showing bunny rabbit on the overhead projecter, followed by a minute's silence. While that may come across a spiritual to you and lot's of other people, it isn't.

Spiritual, is the essence, the exact thing that makes it THAT thing. Spirituality is the process to realise this.
With the living being, the essential thing is the spirit soul, and God is the reservoir from which that soul comes.
So ''spirituality'' is realising who and what we are, and where we came from.

jan.

You are stating that it isn't spiritual to say a poem, show a bunny rabbit, and have a moment of silence is not spiritual. What do you think comes of those moments? Thoughts about who and what we are and where we came from. Those precursors make people search themselves and the world around and take it in.

jayleew,

You couldn't be more wrong in this statement. I am an atheist, but I was a theist. There was a time in between that was pretending. If you could go back to the first post I made on sciforums in 2005. You will see that I was evangelizing because I was firm believer in God. I wanted to share with everyone my life and help them on their spiritual walk to remove any doubts they may have. I still remember all the events in my life where I never felt closer and in touch with who I was and who was God.

I'm not sure how to get to your first post with this new sciforums layout.
Why did you believe in God?
What do you mean by (...never felt closer to God)?

Evangelising doesn't necessarily mean you believe in God.
How is evangelising any different than a rep pitching a product for his/her company?
And when that rep leaves that company for another, what does he/she do?
They pitch for the new company, even if it rivals the old one (they were seemingly passionate about).

You have no idea what you are talking about. I could say the same thing about you that you were always a theist and you don't know how to think for yourself because it was always a part of your life and there was never a time where you doubted. Would that be right? Well, it wouldn't be fair to say the least. You presume too much.

I'm going to be straight with you jaylew, you have no idea whether or not I am a theist because you don't fully comprehend where I'm coming from.
Also, why do assume a theist does not know how to think for them self? You know that's an insult, right?

You're overgeneralizing, belief is specifically:
1. An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
2. Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.

I can accept something is true today and through evidence accept something is not true tomorrow or vice versa.

I agree that dictionary definition gives a loose outline of what ''belief'' is, but it falls obviously short.
In order to accept something as true, or that something exists, there must be some experience, or reasoning that leads up to it. Also, belief, is a work in progress, which is why we can believe one thing today, and another tomorrow.

We all base our life on belief and faith as there is no real certainty in this world, other than our bodies will all cease to be at some point in time.

You are stating that it isn't spiritual to say a poem, show a bunny rabbit, and have a moment of silence is not spiritual.

Yes. The spirituality comes from the knowledge and understanding that we are not these material manifestation, but are pure unadulterated spirit, whose countenance has been covered with the materialistic, temporary, notion that this perception is all there is. Read any scripture, and you'll find that that is the bottom line.

What do you think comes of those moments? Thoughts about who and what we are and where we came from. Those precursors make people search themselves and the world around and take it in.

Really?

jan.

jayleew,
I'm not sure how to get to your first post with this new sciforums layout.
Why did you believe in God?
What do you mean by (...never felt closer to God)?

Evangelising doesn't necessarily mean you believe in God.
How is evangelising any different than a rep pitching a product for his/her company?
And when that rep leaves that company for another, what does he/she do?
They pitch for the new company, even if it rivals the old one (they were seemingly passionate about).

I'm going to be straight with you jaylew, you have no idea whether or not I am a theist because you don't fully comprehend where I'm coming from.
And you have no idea whether or not I was a theist because you don't fully comprehend where I'm coming from either. That is my point. You don't see me presuming your beliefs. You say you were a theist? I believe you. You say you are one now? Sure, I believe you.

Also, why do assume a theist does not know how to think for them self? You know that's an insult, right?
Because I had no choice as a child brought up Catholic. I was told there was a God and I believed. That's what children do until they can think for themselves. It is a fact, not an insult. If it were otherwise, children could vote.

I agree that dictionary definition gives a loose outline of what ''belief'' is, but it falls obviously short.
In order to accept something as true, or that something exists, there must be some experience, or reasoning that leads up to it. Also, belief, is a work in progress, which is why we can believe one thing today, and another tomorrow.
It is black and white, what belief is. But, yes experience comes in to play: Example: I say the sky is normally blue during the day. You have a choice to believe or not. After considering the evidence you choose to believe or not. You could look up at the sky and see that it is blue, but still say, "No, I do not accept that the sky is normally blue during the day. It is actually black like space is and what you are seeing is light rays refracting off the atmosphere illuminating the sky giving the appearance of blue." Regardless of the truth or perspective, one person can choose to accept that it is blue or black.

Belief is a choice, and therefore a switch. Depending on the evidence we are swayed to flip it up or down.

In the absence of evidence however, the game changes and it is more of a random choice.

We all base our life on belief and faith as there is no real certainty in this world, other than our bodies will all cease to be at some point in time.

Good point. This is how the switch is flipped back and forth. The point I was originally making is that I can choose to believe and put aside my doubts at any point if I was motivated by evidence or argument. I'm not convinced that you can, which begs the question: do you have an open mind because that is really what we're talking about. If you do not have an open mind then we are done talking as it is a waste.

Yes. The spirituality comes from the knowledge and understanding that we are not these material manifestation, but are pure unadulterated spirit, whose countenance has been covered with the materialistic, temporary, notion that this perception is all there is. Read any scripture, and you'll find that that is the bottom line.

jan.

Good enough for me.

And yes, the point of those silly funeral moments is to commune with mortality and spirituality that is tied to it. They provoke questions in us like: Who am I? What am I doing with my life? Is this all there is? What do I believe? What is right and wrong? Did I love? Do people love me back? When I die, will I live on?

And these questions beg answers which brings us to the spirituality of the little bunny on the projector at a funeral.

Too late, we're married 15 years now with two kids. I stopped believing when the youngest was 5, so I was a Christian for 10 years of married life....
Bummer. This means that divorcing your wife is not an honorable way to solve your problem, even if it turns out to be the only way.

and even a Sunday school teacher and a music minister at a prior church.
Amazing that you were so steeped in this vile crap that you could indoctrinate little children in it, yet eventually discovered the truth. I wonder how you feel about all those poor kids? Not to mention your own poor kids!

We both left the church at the same time and she finally found a replacement.
Aha. So you would have some justification in saying that she's the one who bailed out on you. This gives you a morally stronger position.

There are countless reasons and countless personal experiences that led up to when I stopped believing.
I hope some of those reasons were logical.

It did not help when I came to the realization that deacons, priests, pastors are just as screwed up as the rest of us. How can you follow or even try to believe in something when the expert disproves everything they teach? That's forgivable and understandable, but it leaves the student lost and without direction.
Religion cannot be expected to make you be better, at least not very much better, not for a scoundrel to turn into a saint. Merely to feel better.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when we stepped in where God should have. We had to answer our own prayers. It was then that I realized, there really is no god. Then I thought, if everyone in the world started answering their own prayers, then they wouldn't need god either.
Rent "The Ruling Class" starring Peter O'Toole. The essence of the plot is that his character thinks he's God. The reason? "I realized that when I was praying, I was talking to myself."

There's nothing wrong with saying that God is within you. After all, isn't that what the faithful actually want?

A lot of interpretation , that why we have to keep studying, and not following someone's interpretation
This is a key difference between Judaism and the Abrahamic religions that evolved out of it. Every male Jew (and in many modern congregations also the women) is expected to learn to read and write Hebrew. That way they can read the original text of the Torah instead of a Latin, Greek or English translation. They are expected to discuss it among themselves and discover the truth that way. The Talmud is largely a collection of discussions of the Torah by people who are regarded as gifted students. If your rabbi tells you something you think is bull, you have a right and a duty to stand up and tell him so, and then he will try to explain why you are wrong. The rest of the people listen and are welcome to chime in, and they may each go home with their own interpretation.

Yeah, I don't agree with Christians enforcing OT laws against homosexuality.
People routinely make lists of the OT laws that would get you thrown in prison if you tried to follow them today. A few made sense in their day, such as avoiding pork, since pigs by nature are scavengers and back then probably had every microbe and other pathogen within ten miles in their bodies. But then why did they allow eating carp, the bottom-feeding "pigs of the water"? Much of the code of law seems to be one weird guy's kinky fear of blood, including not shaving with a blade that might cut the skin, draining all the blood out of a prey animal before it dies, and not having sex during a certain time of the month.

You are right about abiding in Christ makes no sense if Jesus wasn't divine.
As I've pointed out before, what's important about Christ is the wisdom attributed to him, not the fussy details about whether he was a real person, much less anointed in supernatural mojo. I think you could make a lot more peace with your family if you could feel this way. I was born and raised as an atheist, yet I very seldom get into arguments with Christians because I have no quarrel with most of Jesus's teachings.

In fact when it does happen, it's usually on SciForums.

That is the point of this thread. I just can't do it no matter how hard I try to appease the ones I love because I don't believe.
You don't have to appease them. Let that be their problem, not yours. If you can stand to live with a Christian because you love her, why should she not have the responsibility to reciprocate? It's time for you to stop playing defense here! Tell these bullies that you are sick and tired of the way they treat you and it has to stop right now or you're going to have to reconsider where you live.

You don't seem to have the strength to stand up for yourself. In this case nobody will be able to help you and this thread is pointless.

Is it even worth keeping an open mind about?
Keeping an open mind about whether some preposterous fairytales might be true? Please tell me you're joking. You'd have to be a different person to buy into that dreck. Sure you were raised that way and that gave you an excuse because it's hard to stop trusting your parents. But you managed to outgrow it and now you see the world more logically and analytically. There's no going back! "Open mind" has no place in your rhetoric.

You're an atheist. I get it. But you're not, nor have you ever been a theist, and now you're making stuff up about what you think the scriptures mean and using that to justify you're natural position.
You are one of the most dishonorable people on this forum, to say a ridiculous, hateful thing like that. I was right when I told this poor guy to put you on IGNORE. You are poison and should be avoided like poison except by those of us who are older and wiser and can eat supernaturalist trolls like you for breakfast.

Who the hell are you to say that you know whether or not he was a theist? Basically what you're saying is that no one who was ever a true theist could possibly become enlightened and recover from it. Like I said, you're poison. You imply your own point of view and then speak of it obliquely as though it's universally accepted as truth.

Oh wait, you're a religionist! That's the way you all argue! You assume that anyone who disagrees with you is just not thinking clearly.

You add nothing to this discussion and you're just making Jay's journey more complicated. He needs to hear from people who can help him, not people with their own insidious evangelical agenda, who insist that after this long, agonizing journey, which has required great strength and has taken an enormous toll on him, he's actually merely misguided and should give up.

Who cares whether or not Jesus performed supernatural feats? Do you think those feats are reason behind everybody's belief in him?
Actually, for several centuries they were that reason. People in those days were more gullible. Even as recently as the 19th century many rural Americans were fooled by the performances at snake-oil patent medicine traveling shows. Just look at the Old Testament. People were expected to believe in God because he did frightening things, not because he might some day turn out to be a good guy. That was precisely what Jesus, the First Hippie, was supposed to turn around, to convince everyone that the Big Guy had just come back from an anger management class and he was ready to be a better father figure.

If you were a theist then you shouldn't have a problem in explaining why you were. Okay?
No. Once again you're making an insidious assumption and arguing disingenously. He was raised as a theist and children simply don't understand this stuff. They're theists because their parents are theists and they trust their parents to teach them right and wrong. It isn't until adolescence that we start to rebel against our parents and look skeptically at what they've taught us. In his case this adolescence took a long time, but eventually he did come to the realization that they were wrong.

Belief doesn't develop without some kind of experience . . . .
Yes, but for the vast majority of religious people the "experience" is sitting on their parents' laps and listening to them talk about their own particular belief system.

. . . . and the thing is, you haven't had an experience that validates theism, which is why you aren't a theist (unless you have but chose not to disclose it).
Once again you're being a hateful troll, telling this poor fellow that sitting on his parents' laps wasn't good enough for him, even though it's what makes 99% of all Christians, Muslims, Jews, Rastafarians, Hindus, and virtually every member of every other religion, accept the truth of that religion.

Sure, some people actually have epiphanies that reinforce their belief in their parents' religion (or perhaps another one), but not the majority. Certainly not in the USA, where so many churches don't even stress the supernatural aspects of their particular brand of Christianity.

You're an atheist, you always was an atheist . . . .
More of your insults. Telling the man that his own understanding of his own life is false. Where do you get the balls to treat people this way???

Spiritual, is the essence, the exact thing that makes it THAT thing. Spirituality is the process to realise this. . . . . So ''spirituality'' is realising who and what we are, and where we came from.
No surprise that you have a very narrow definition of "spirituality" which (what a coincidence) happens to exactly validate your own religious nature.

Everyone has a spirit. Our friends and loved ones pick up a little of it from us. A painter or a composer leaves quite a bit of it in his work, so that "his spirit lives on" in his portraits or his symphonies. Civilization itself, that wonderful 12,000-year project of the entire human race that is still in progress, could be defined as the collective spirit of everyone who's lived during that time.

God has a spirit. It came from the people who invented his story, just as the spirit of Kermit the Frog came from Jim Henson and lives on long after his death, being shared with every child who watches "Sesame Street."

With the living being, the essential thing is the spirit soul, and God is the reservoir from which that soul comes.
No, you've got it backwards. God is a creation of humanity. He comes from our spirit, not vice versa.

jayleew,

And you have no idea whether or not I was a theist because you don't fully comprehend where I'm coming from either. That is my point. You don't see me presuming your beliefs. You say you were a theist? I believe you. You say you are one now? Sure, I believe you.

Actually you're wrong, I do have an idea because I recognise theism, but I can only assume you don't because you are clearly dodging my questions.. "Why did you believe in God?
What do you mean by (...never felt closer to God)?""

Because I had no choice as a child brought up Catholic. I was told there was a God and I believed. That's what children do until they can think for themselves. It is a fact, not an insult. If it were otherwise, children could vote.

That doesn't make you a theist. A "theist" is a person who believes in God. It is an actuality. If you did actually believe in God, then you'd be able to answer my questions easily. If you didn't, then those questions become mount improbable.
You can't force a child to believe in God anymore than you can force them to like brocholi.

It is black and white, what belief is. But, yes experience comes in to play: Example: I say the sky is normally blue during the day.

Belief doesn't enter into this equation. Another example of your lack of understanding.

You have a choice to believe or not.

You have a choice whether to accept what you know as knowledge or not.
If you believe God does not exist, then you have no choice in that matter.

After considering the evidence you choose to believe or not.

In this case you have no evidence that points God does not exist, other than ''I can't see God with my eyes, therefore God does not exist''.

You could look up at the sky and see that it is blue, but still say, "No, I do not accept that the sky is normally blue during the day.

If you've been around for thirty years, you can draw conclusions based on observation, belief isn't necessary.

It is actually black like space is and what you are seeing is light rays refracting off the atmosphere illuminating the sky giving the appearance of blue." Regardless of the truth or perspective, one person can choose to accept that it is blue or black.

This is based on knowledge.
Let's say I don't have access to that understanding, but someone does, and they convey to me that this is what actually occurs, I can choose to believe that person or not. That's when ''belief'' comes into play.

Belief is a choice, and therefore a switch. Depending on the evidence we are swayed to flip it up or down.

Belief itself isn't the choice, it's everything else that leads one to come to the platform of belief. And from there ones life changes.

In the absence of evidence however, the game changes and it is more of a random choice.

It depends on what you regard as evidence.

Good point. This is how the switch is flipped back and forth. The point I was originally making is that I can choose to believe and put aside my doubts at any point if I was motivated by evidence or argument. I'm not convinced that you can, which begs the question: do you have an open mind because that is really what we're talking about.

You're aware that if you ''put aside your doubts'', they are still there and they never go away, aren't you?

I'm not sure I want to put aside my doubts and pretend to believe something which those same doubts affect. Also, I think such an action is the product of a closed mind. A mind that prefers make believe over reality.

But if you have an open mind, please feel free to answer the question I pose so we can progress.

If you do not have an open mind then we are done talking as it is a waste.

I know you're being molly-cuddled, and advised that I'm a troll, and to put me on ignore. But I know i'm not trolling, and the only reason i'm to be put on ignore is because I'm asking question that reveal your true state of mind, instead of playing the usual game. So follow the pack if you must, and ignore me, but such an action say's alot, probably more than your words could reveal. And that's exactly what I read, ultimately.

It's your call.

But as of yet I have not asserted any belief or disbelief in God, yet you have accused me of wearing ''God goggles'' and insinuated that I refuse to take them off. All I have done is explained the term ''spirituality'' from a proper perspective, not the tu'pence-aypenny one, which does everything to pretend that God does not exist without actually saying so, for fear of looking ignorant.
Secularists cannot define spirituality because such a definition does not exist in the language. For that you have to consult hebrew, aramaic, sanskrit, and such. Modern language are more attuned to commerce than sprituality.

And yes, the point of those silly funeral moments is to commune with mortality and spirituality that is tied to it.

Say's who?

They provoke questions in us like: Who am I? What am I doing with my life? Is this all there is? What do I believe? What is right and wrong? Did I love? Do people love me back? When I die, will I live on?

How do they? Please explain.

And these questions beg answers which brings us to the spirituality of the little bunny on the projector at a funeral.

I don't think so. I think it works in the opposite.

jan.

Fraggle Rocker,

You are one of the most dishonorable people on this forum, to say a ridiculous, hateful thing like that. I was right when I told this poor guy to put you on IGNORE. You are poison and should be avoided like poison except by those of us who are older and wiser and can eat supernaturalist trolls like you for breakfast.

Are you for fucking real?
You advise a man to divorce his wife because she believes in God?
You describe her's and her children's life position as ''vile crap'' without even knowing them?

You're disgusting, and ignorant.
Now go away. :D

jan.

Fraggle Rocker,

Are you for fucking real?
You advise a man to divorce his wife because she believes in God?

This is what we mean when we call you dishonest. No one has said that he should divorce his wife for believing in God. That was never offered as advice, and you know it wasn't, yet you choose to portray it that way.

I would say you're better than that, but you're not. You've proven it time and again, you're not capable of having an honest discussion. Hopefully more people take Fraggle's advice and you lose whatever motivation you have to post here, because we'd all be much better off without you.

Balerion,

This is what we mean when we call you dishonest. No one has said that he should divorce his wife for believing in God. That was never offered as advice, and you know it wasn't, yet you choose to portray it that way.

Let's put it this way, the whole thread partly revolves around jaylew's wife, family, and church, and his relationship with them. Do you agree? Epecially as the first 11 words shout out: I THINK I'M GOING IN SANE. MY WIFE IS A BELIEVER.

That said, the conclusion I came to is justified when this advice is given...

...I hate to say it, but you might wake up one day and decide that the only way you'll ever have peace in your life will require divorcing your wife.

I have followed jaylews journey from the day he announced that he was an atheist, and am aware of his reasoning. Are you?
For any of us to even consider divorce, and say it out loud, is nothing short of potential destruction.

I would say you're better than that, but you're not. You've proven it time and again, you're not capable of having an honest discussion. Hopefully more people take Fraggle's advice and you lose whatever motivation you have to post here, because we'd all be much better off without you.

An honest conversation to you, is only so if one agrees with you.
You wouldn't know ''honest'' (when apologising for your community) if it came right out and introduced itself.
You don't like me simply because I don't play your game, and I question all the cliches you take for granted, hoping they are swept under the carpet.

jan.

I think I'm going insane.
/.../
Sounds simple, but what if Jesus' divinity is a myth? I'd be foolish and weakminded to accept anything as fact without sufficient evidence. Why does it feel so wrong to accept that fate? What do I gain by choosing to not accept Jesus' divinity as fact? If I accept this fact, where do I draw the line for other myths? How can I accept this one and not also other myths and legends?

It is perfectly understandable that you feel intense urgency.

It seems to me that you are trying to oversimplify things, in an effort to get out of this difficult situation.

My suggestion would be that you look into how you communicate, what you expect in a communication.

You've been wondering about things about Jesus and God etc. for so long, so much, and yet have been unable to come to any conclusion that would give you peace of mind.
So you might as well try something else. Focus on the difficulties that seem more immediately resolvable.

My suggestion would be this book:

Failure to Communicate: How Conversations Go Wrong and What You Can Do to Right Them

I think I'm going insane. My wife is a believer. Always has been. I was for the first couple decades of my life. I cannot believe and I won't pretend (tried that too). I no longer believe, but my wife attends a church that I don't mind going occasionally to with her. They have a good apologetic spin on scripture, so it isn't overly hardcore Christian. They stick to the basics and don't assume anything else. The only part I don't like is the words to the songs they sing (because I can't relate), but I like the music and they serve donuts and coffee every Sunday morning. :)

So, it is really hard living with her because her focus is on her club. I, like a good husband, want to share her likes. I don't have the heart to tell her that I probably won't ever believe in God again. She has hope for me as do all of my family whom I love, who also attend this church. I just don't think it is going to happen. It pains me to think that they are wasting their wishes away on me.

The most recent decision I came to was Jesus was a real person based on historical record. No matter what, his divinity cannot be proven today without divine intervention. There is simply no evidence other than a collection of stories, which may or may not be fictitious, but are definitely biased to the belief that Jesus was the son of God.

This church laid out the plan simply that abiding by Jesus Christ is the only thing I need worry about and that all the laws in the scripture are made for those who live by the law. If I kept my eyes on Jesus then that's all I need to worry about.

Sounds simple, but what if Jesus' divinity is a myth? I'd be foolish and weakminded to accept anything as fact without sufficient evidence. Why does it feel so wrong to accept that fate? What do I gain by choosing to not accept Jesus' divinity as fact? If I accept this fact, where do I draw the line for other myths? How can I accept this one and not also other myths and legends?

Jay

Communicate with your wife , talk to her about what you are thinking , bits at a time

You are in a very difficult position

Its possible to work it out , remember you didn't go to church every time , so perhaps your wife sort of gets it already , about your attitude towards god

Balerion,

Let's put it this way, the whole thread partly revolves around jaylew's wife, family, and church, and his relationship with them. Do you agree? Epecially as the first 11 words shout out: I THINK I'M GOING IN SANE. MY WIFE IS A BELIEVER.

That's precisely the dishonesty I'm talking about. "I'm going insane, my wife is a believer," (and posting it in ALL CAPS as if that's how he posted it) is extremely dishonest. The crux of the matter is as the OP stated later in that post:

jayleew said:
So, it is really hard living with her because her focus is on her club. I, like a good husband, want to share her likes.

He's struggling with the fact that his wife is so involved in this faith that he doesn't share, he feels like he's not a part of the marriage. And, on top of that, her and his family are pressuring him into converting. This is not the recipe for a healthy relationship.

I have followed jaylews journey from the day he announced that he was an atheist, and am aware of his reasoning. Are you?

Irrelevant. I'm reading this post, and seeing his reasoning for not being happy in his marriage, a point you've apparently overlooked.

For any of us to even consider divorce, and say it out loud, is nothing short of potential destruction.

Knowing he has children makes it a tougher decision, but jayleew is the one who said he can't go back to pretending he believes, and that accepting the faith is probably his only path to harmony with his wife and family. Divorce is a viable alternative to that nightmare, and it should be explored.

You don't like me simply because I don't play your game, and I question all the cliches you take for granted, hoping they are swept under the carpet.

I don't like you because you lie and misrepresent arguments, as you've done so blatantly here. You're incapable of keeping things on the level, of arguing on the merits of a position rather than knocking down straw men. And in typical loon fashion, you see yourself as this truth-teller who gets shunned by his betters because the truth scares them. It's easy to delude oneself, so it's really no surprise this is the image if yourself you've created. Sadly, your words and actions paint a much different picture.

Jay

Communicate with your wife , talk to her about what you are thinking , bits at a time

You are in a very difficult position

Its possible to work it out , remember you didn't go to church every time , so perhaps your wife sort of gets it already , about your attitude towards god

Agreed.

Balerion,

That's precisely the dishonesty I'm talking about. "I'm going insane, my wife is a believer," (and posting it in ALL CAPS as if that's how he posted it) is extremely dishonest. The crux of the matter is as the OP stated later in that post:

There's nothing dishonest about that. That is calling out for help as far as I see it. I put it in caps to to emphasise to you that every piece of advice we give is related to these opening words, so advising divorce is a solution to that.

He's struggling with the fact that his wife is so involved in this faith that he doesn't share, he feels like he's not a part of the marriage. And, on top of that, her and his family are pressuring him into converting. This is not the recipe for a healthy relationship.

I didn't recall him saying he doesn't feel part of the marriage, nor did he mention that her and his family are pressuring him into converting, at least not in this thread anyway.
But let's say this is how he feels, I'm sure divorce is not the solution, children or not. If he decides that divorce is the only option then fair enough, but it's kind of not our business to bring it up.

Irrelevant. I'm reading this post, and seeing his reasoning for not being happy in his marriage, a point you've apparently overlooked.

Posting this in the ''religion'' section of the forums, and stating that his problem is ''belief in God'' (hence the title ''trying hard to believe''), indicates that the problem is his, that he has now entered into a different phase of his life and he finds it hard to fit in because of how he feels. He wants to believe, but can't do so simply because he doesn't believe. He sees this as a problem. But it needn't be.

Knowing he has children makes it a tougher decision, but jayleew is the one who said he can't go back to pretending he believes, and that accepting the faith is probably his only path to harmony with his wife and family. Divorce is a viable alternative to that nightmare, and it should be explored.

And my point to jaylew is, he doesn't have to pretend to believe, and he doesn't have to accept anything he doesn't want to, and can live happily with his wife and family.

I don't like you because you lie and misrepresent arguments, as you've done so blatantly here. You're incapable of keeping things on the level, of arguing on the merits of a position rather than knocking down straw men.

Which arguments have I misrepresented?

And in typical loon fashion, you see yourself as this truth-teller who gets shunned by his betters because the truth scares them. It's easy to delude oneself, so it's really no surprise this is the image if yourself you've created. Sadly, your words and actions paint a much different picture.

Back up what you say, otherwise this is just a string of ad-hominem attacks. :rolleyes:

jan.

Balerion,

There's nothing dishonest about that. That is calling out for help as far as I see it. I put it in caps to to emphasise to you that every piece of advice we give is related to these opening words, so advising divorce is a solution to that.

You're misrepresenting his dilemma, and framing it to look like we're telling him to get a divorce because his wife is a Christian. That's the only way your righteous anger has any foundation. If you were attacking us for suggesting divorce for his actual problem--that the pressures from his wife and family are making him miserable and he does not believe himself to be capable of pretending for their sake--then you'd look like a zealot. Obviously, you can't allow yourself to come off that way, even though that's exactly what you are, so you pretend that he's saying something other than what he actually is.

Hence, dishonest.

I didn't recall him saying he doesn't feel part of the marriage,

What a shock.

jayleew said:
So, it is really hard living with her because her focus is on her club. I, like a good husband, want to share her likes.

nor did he mention that her and his family are pressuring him into converting, at least not in this thread anyway.

Again, wrong.

jayleew said:
I don't have the heart to tell her that I probably won't ever believe in God again. She has hope for me as do all of my family whom I love, who also attend this church. I just don't think it is going to happen. It pains me to think that they are wasting their wishes away on me.

You're probably going to say here that a wife and family "wishing" something upon a person isn't pressure, but that's precisely what it is. If it weren't, he wouldn't be looking to employ his Utilitarian ethics in such a way to as to appease his wife and family. Clearly, their desire for him to become a Christian is putting pressure on him.

But let's say this is how he feels, I'm sure divorce is not the solution, children or not.

What makes you so sure? Other than your faith, that is. I mean, because from a realistic standpoint, for someone who isn't doing something out of fear of eternal reprisal, staying in a bad relationship isn't a good idea. If he can't be himself and live comfortably in his marriage as an atheist, then why wouldn't divorce be an option?

If he decides that divorce is the only option then fair enough, but it's kind of not our business to bring it up.

I don't see why not. He came to us for advice.

Posting this in the ''religion'' section of the forums, and stating that his problem is ''belief in God'' (hence the title ''trying hard to believe''), indicates that the problem is his, that he has now entered into a different phase of his life and he finds it hard to fit in because of how he feels. He wants to believe, but can't do so simply because he doesn't believe. He sees this as a problem. But it needn't be.

If it's making his marriage difficult, then it is a problem. You're just trying to convert him to your side by bashing atheism and diminishing his reasons for being an atheist. In fact, you're not even trying to help him; you're just forwarding a theistic agenda of conversion and atheist-bashing.

And my point to jaylew is, he doesn't have to pretend to believe, and he doesn't have to accept anything he doesn't want to, and can live happily with his wife and family.

How do you know that? How could you possibly know he could live happily with his wife and family without doing one of those two things?

Which arguments have I misrepresented?

Don't play stupid. I've already pointed it out, and it's clearly a willful misrepresentation, so stop pretending you don't know.

Back up what you say, otherwise this is just a string of ad-hominem attacks. :rolleyes:

Your posts stand in evidence of my claims.

Balerion,

Haha, good luck with that. I learnt long ago (a good part of the past 12 years) that JA is incapable of a reasoned discussion, so simply don't expect it.

jayleew:

So, it is really hard living with her because her focus is on her club. I, like a good husband, want to share her likes. I don't have the heart to tell her that I probably won't ever believe in God again. She has hope for me as do all of my family whom I love, who also attend this church. I just don't think it is going to happen. It pains me to think that they are wasting their wishes away on me.

If you believed in the promise of eternal life after death and all that, then you'd no doubt also want your loved ones to share in that. And you'd want to do everything you could to make that come to pass. As a Christian, the primary requirement is that one believes in God and accepts Jesus as the Son of God. Really, nothing else is required to get you to heaven. So from a Christian point of view the worst thing possible is for your loved one not to believe; the non-believer risks his immortal soul. It is understandable that any true Christian will do his utmost to convince you to accept Christ into your life.

The most recent decision I came to was Jesus was a real person based on historical record. No matter what, his divinity cannot be proven today without divine intervention. There is simply no evidence other than a collection of stories, which may or may not be fictitious, but are definitely biased to the belief that Jesus was the son of God.

This church laid out the plan simply that abiding by Jesus Christ is the only thing I need worry about and that all the laws in the scripture are made for those who live by the law. If I kept my eyes on Jesus then that's all I need to worry about.

True. Since Paul essentially ditched the Jewish laws, the primary requirement for Christians has been to commit themselves to Christ. Everything else is secondary.

What do you gain by not accepting Jesus's divinity as fact without good evidence? You get to be true to yourself. You don't have to pretend to believe something you can't bring yourself to truly believe. Moreover, you will have an opportunity to form or keep a self-consistent worldview, free from internal contradictions.

The Atheist bus campaign slogan was "God probably doesn't exist. So stop worrying and enjoy your life." If it turns out that you're wrong and the Christian God does exist after all, then you still have nothing to worry about. That God is supposed to be All Good. He will understand why you didn't believe, and forgive you. On the other hand, if you're right and there is no God, then you won't waste your life chasing a fantasy, possibly just to make somebody else happy.

If you relationship with your wife is strong enough, it should be able to withstand your telling her that you don't believe. She may try to convince you to believe. You may try to convince her not to believe. Or you may both decide that the other is misguided but you can live with that and hope for future change. As an atheist, you may be quite happy for your wife to believe; the reverse is probably not as likely. I don't know you or your wife, so I can't say how much of an issue this would be for the two of you. But it might be worth asking your wife whether she would rather you go through the motions of belief when you don't really believe at all, or whether she would prefer you to be honest. Would it not be disrespectful to go to church, pretend to pray and so on, when you don't believe in what you're doing?

Jan Ardena:

It is probably a convenient crutch for you to assert that anybody who has been religious previously and who has come to atheism was never a real, true, fair dinkum believer in the first place.

The simple fact is that there are plenty of ex-believers out there who were once just as ardently religious as you are yet who nevertheless came to the conclusion that there is no God. Among them are many priests, imams and other ex-religious leaders.

I am not surprised that you are so angry that people can come to a rational decision not to believe. Your anger and outrage is plain to see in this thread, in your reponses to jayleew. How dare somebody lose an honest, heartfelt belief! Misguided fools, one and all!

But don't ever fool yourself that these people never had a genuine belief in the first place, or that they were too stupid to appreciate God in the advanced and unique way that you, paragon of religious virtue that you are, do. That's just wishful thinking on your part. You need to face the facts.

Balerion,

You're misrepresenting his dilemma, and framing it to look like we're telling him to get a divorce because his wife is a Christian.

I'm not misrepresenting anything.

The only part I don't like is the words to the songs they sing (because I can't relate), but I like the music and they serve donuts and coffee every Sunday morning....

....So, it is really hard living with her because her focus is on her club. I, like a good husband, want to share her likes. I don't have the heart to tell her that I probably won't ever believe in God again.

His dilema is that he is going insane because his wife is a believer, so if divorce becomes an option, a solution, a way to become sane again, then it is because he no longer
has to live with a believer. Incidently I used the word ''believer'' not ''Christian.

That's the only way your righteous anger has any foundation.

Clearly you're the one with ''righteous anger'' issues not me.

If you were attacking us for suggesting divorce for his actual problem--that the pressures from his wife and family are making him miserable and he does not believe himself to be capable of pretending for their sake--then you'd look like a zealot.

I'm not attacking you, I'm the one being attacked, and I only brought up this insane suggestion to show double standards at work.

Obviously, you can't allow yourself to come off that way, even though that's exactly what you are, so you pretend that he's saying something other than what he actually is.

This is funny.
I will refrain from asking you for an explanation because I believe you think you don't need to explain any insults you pass on to me.

me said:
I didn't recall him saying he doesn't feel part of the marriage,

you said:
What a shock.

He didn't say ''he doesn't feel part of the marriage''. Now who's misrepresenting?

jan said:
...nor did he mention that her and his family are pressuring him into converting, at least not in this thread anyway.

you said:
Again, wrong.

jaylew said:
I don't have the heart to tell her that I probably won't ever believe in God again. She has hope for me as do all of my family whom I love, who also attend this church. I just don't think it is going to happen. It pains me to think that they are wasting their wishes away on me.

Really? You call this ''pressure into converting to Christianity''?
Do you think saying ''She has hope for me as do all of my family whom I love,.... is equivilent to saying something like ''convert to Christianity or else...''?
IOW, I don't see an ultimatum. Do you?

You're probably going to say here that a wife and family "wishing" something upon a person isn't pressure, but that's precisely what it is. If it weren't, he wouldn't be looking to employ his Utilitarian ethics in such a way to as to appease his wife and family. Clearly, their desire for him to become a Christian is putting pressure on him.

Clearly that's how you see it, why you would even consider divorce as an option, but as he didn't actually say that he feels pressured by them to convert, I have to assume that he doesn't.

He also expressed his love for them, so even if he was feeling pressured, divorce would only add to his anxiety.

me said:
But let's say this is how he feels, I'm sure divorce is not the solution, children or not.

you said:
What makes you so sure? Other than your faith, that is.

He loves his wife and family. Why would he want to give them up? For what?
And what does ''faith'' have to do with it?

I mean, because from a realistic standpoint, for someone who isn't doing something out of fear of eternal reprisal, staying in a bad relationship isn't a good idea. If he can't be himself and live comfortably in his marriage as an atheist, then why wouldn't divorce be an option?

Because it's not that simple. He's correct in identifying it as his own problem, and wanting to find a solution to it. I get the feeling that divorce would not sit well with him. It certainly wouldn't sit well with me or any married couple I know who still love and respect each other, so I wouldn't use that option unless I thought there was no other way.

I don't see why not. He came to us for advice.

As I stated before, the only reason I brought this up is because of Fraggles attack. :)

me said:

you said:
1. If it's making his marriage difficult, then it is a problem.

2. You're just trying to convert him to your side by bashing atheism and diminishing his reasons for being an atheist.

3. In fact, you're not even trying to help him; you're just forwarding a theistic agenda of conversion and atheist-bashing.

1. From what I gather, the difficulty arises from him, not from all parties. He feels that he cannot be honest with his wife, regarding his not believing in God.

2. Firstly, I'm not bashing anything. I've explained quite a few times how I see atheism and theism, and that I view modern-atheism as a separate ideology altogether.
I think that part of jaylews problem is that he has incorporated modern-atheistic ideals and thoughts into his reasoning, clouding his judgement.

3. Examples please?

jan said:

you said:
How do you know that? How could you possibly know he could live happily with his wife and family without doing one of those two things?

I didn't say I KNOW that he could.

Don't play stupid. I've already pointed it out, and it's clearly a willful misrepresentation, so stop pretending you don't know.

You make your points, you ask me questions, and I try my best to respond to them, because it's polite, and we're in a discussion forum where the main thrust of activity is to converse. Why do you feel it's okay to not answer my questions?
Isn't it better that you at least try and understand my points before insulting me, or, ignore them?

Wtf have I done or said to you to make you this angry?

Your posts stand in evidence of my claims.

I think you barely read my posts, only to look for things to attack me with. :)

jan.

Back