Torture

delusional?
feel free to qualify the claim by offering a standard definition of "reality"

erm yes.
sometimes even several times before I post since I know how forgiving some people can be on this site
:)

I wouldn't say "all"

until you offer an explanation of how you came to the conclusion of the bold bit, your question remains a loaded one and doesn't warrant a reply.

I came to my conclusion because of the lack of evidence, as I have done with astrology, for example. Now tell me what evidence you have that I am wrong

I came to my conclusion because of the lack of evidence, as I have done with astrology, for example. Now tell me what evidence you have that I am wrong
probably require an inquiry into the degree of your investigations - something I am not inspired to pursue given the character of your presuppositions (eg "Baloney" etc etc)

LG

Thanks for the eloquent reply. The reason I am probing is that you seem to display consistent and strong belief in your path and I am trying to understand what motivates you.

From my perspective, without assuming religious baggage, I have been on this planet long enough to fully appreciate the concept of gratitude (Osho style), but getting involved in any concept of supernatural retribution from an omnipotent being that causes pain, as in your version of karma, makes the whole shebang suck and nonsensical.

The overwhelming evidence, historic and present, of mind control, coercion, bloodshed, manipulation, ego, violence, nonsense, bigotry, close mindedness and dishonesty (the list is endless) coming from organized religions (Eastern and Western) makes me want to puke.

The standard response from the religious mob is - it`s not god`s fault, its man`s fault. Free will, blah blah blah. Bollocks, if god is to have anya credibilty, the "glorious" reflection of god should be seen in his adherents en masse, and it is obviously not the case. It should be that simple. However, it looks like god was created in mans image, with all accompanying mammalian atributes.

Hence the cynicsm.

What evidence in your life has prompted/enabled you to commit to your faith and discard the rational?

LG,

Evidence by itself requires no qualifications. It just is. The folds in a rock are evidence of something. Craters on the moon are evidence of something. The CMB is evidence of something.

So, why don't you, for once, just present us with your evidence for hell, god, whatever, and let us see what we make of it? Ok? It'll be fun!

LG,

Evidence by itself requires no qualifications. It just is. The folds in a rock are evidence of something. Craters on the moon are evidence of something. The CMB is evidence of something.

So, why don't you, for once, just present us with your evidence for hell, god, whatever, and let us see what we make of it? Ok? It'll be fun!

Its not clear what would be the point

How would you respond to the request to present the cutting edge evidences for your chosen discipline to an audience of persons who hold the practices of your discipline in utter contempt?

In short - this is not how the transmission of knowledge works

daniel-lions-den.jpg

Its not clear what would be the point

In short - this is not how the transmission of knowledge works
In short, you've just admitted a complete refusal to engage in anything other than the most trivial trolling on the subject of your god (religion) and its associated attributes.

You will make claims.

You will assert their truth.

You will claim to know the way to this truth.

You will even claim to have evidence of this.

You will not present the evidence.

You will not discuss this evidence.

You will ony assert that we cannot comprehend the evidence.

Apparently then you are engaged in one of the more elaborate useless run-arounds on this forum. Hmmm...

Cop out. Maybe if you let us evaluate some of your evidence we'll feel better about yours?
(see image in post below)
once again, that's not how knowledge works
in short, if you have ethical issues with a discipline, discussing the evidential issues simply becomes an expansion of the former

in short, if you have ethical issues with a discipline, discussing the evidential issues simply becomes an expansion of the former
Ok. Well, it's been fun discussing stuff LG. Have fun.

More empty rhetoric from the theist side of the debate. That's all they are good for it seems.

Perhaps the moderator should re-allow biblical sermonizing, since theists have no other resource to draw "facts" and "proof" from but their scriptures.

Of course that's just more ammunition for me! :D

LG

Thanks for the eloquent reply. The reason I am probing is that you seem to display consistent and strong belief in your path and I am trying to understand what motivates you.

From my perspective, without assuming religious baggage, I have been on this planet long enough to fully appreciate the concept of gratitude (Osho style), but getting involved in any concept of supernatural retribution from an omnipotent being that causes pain, as in your version of karma, makes the whole shebang suck and nonsensical.
not sure what you are saying here
that notions of karma infringe on notions of gratitude?
(maybe you could unpack "gratitude", osho style or otherwise)

The overwhelming evidence, historic and present, of mind control, coercion, bloodshed, manipulation, ego, violence, nonsense, bigotry, close mindedness and dishonesty (the list is endless) coming from organized religions (Eastern and Western) makes me want to puke.
its the nature of institution (regardless of whether it is religious or not) to undermine the principles on which it was established

(for instance the formation of universities was originally meant to "unify" all disciplines of knowledge - now things are so impossibly diverse that even within departments there is practically no communication)

Consequently its the duty of institutions to constantly re-evaluate themselves
The standard response from the religious mob is - it`s not god`s fault, its man`s fault. Free will, blah blah blah. Bollocks, if god is to have anya credibilty, the "glorious" reflection of god should be seen in his adherents en masse, and it is obviously not the case.
the thing unique to religion is that it offers the highest opportunity for hypocrisy - the more higher the values, the less likely people (in general) will be able to follow them
from the vedic perspective, this degeneration of religious institutional leaders and their instituitions is due to a corrupted understanding of quality

(regarding the age of kali, or the current era of existence) .... A person's spiritual position will be ascertained merely according to external symbols, and on that same basis people will change from one spiritual order to the next. A person's propriety will be seriously questioned if he does not earn a good living. And one who is very clever at juggling words will be considered a learned scholar.

if you ask practically anyone what it means to be a christian/hindu/muslim they will simply give you answer that reflects externals ("their priests wear these sort of clothes, they worship in buildings that look like this and on tuesdays they this sort of ritual).
If such a state of understanding is the norm, small wonder that the congregations are the way they are and why there is no real impetus (aside from say issues of culture - birth, marriage, death etc) for appeal amongst educated persons

It should be that simple. However, it looks like god was created in mans image, with all accompanying mammalian atributes.

Hence the cynicsm.

What evidence in your life has prompted/enabled you to commit to your faith and discard the rational?
in short, I have had experiences that would make not applying myself to religious discipline irrational.
The evidence that I came in contact with is the association of persons who actually embody qualities of god (not meaning that they could lift a rock that they created to be heavier than they could lift) and could answer my ethical doubts about religion, god, etc.

Associating with such persons is clearly indicated as the final requirement for successful spiritual life.
And the absence of this element is what contributes to over 90% of the arguments against god (most atheistic arguments deal not with god, per se, but the people who represent him)

Questioneverything

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

More empty rhetoric from the theist side of the debate. That's all they are good for it seems.

Perhaps the moderator should re-allow biblical sermonizing, since theists have no other resource to draw "facts" and "proof" from but their scriptures.

Of course that's just more ammunition for me!

If this was meant to convince me that your issues were primarily evidential rather than ethical, you failed ....

Back