To All Atheists: What led you to atheism?

Not an agnostic anymore, but what led me to that conclusion was examining probability/possibility. I concluded that theism and atheism were both irrational as both had no base, and therefore agnosticism was the most intelligent stance.

Of course, now I do believe in God, however you could still call me an agnostic theist.

I've told you the story of my conversion to atheism, and I would like to know yours.
I was not "converted." I was never religious. My parents were atheists and at least one of my sets of grandparents were also. I'm a third-generation atheist on at least one side of the family.
What did you believe before you came to atheism?
I was always an atheist. I never heard of gods and religion until I was about seven. Some little kid on the playground started talking about this guy named God who lived up in the sky and I assumed it was a big joke and fell on the ground laughing. Then when he started acting disappointed I figured it must be one of those stories kids make up and I was supposed to appreciate his creativity. Then when he got downright angry I realized it must be a Santa Claus-Tooth Fairy thing and his parents hadn't gotten around to telling him the truth yet. When I told my parents about it they said that some adults believe in God because their parents had never told them the truth. Then I thought they were joking, because if nobody tells them the truth, everybody eventually gets smart enough to realize that there's no such things as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy... don't they Momma? Momma???
When did an atheist philosophy become clear to you?
I never thought of it as a "philosophy." People who believed in gods were simply retarded.
How has atheism changed your life or belief systems?
I easily became something of a misanthrope when I learned that grownups really do believe in an illogical, unobservable supernatural universe, the only evidence for which is the ravings of people who lived in the era before science and rationality. I mean, how the heck are you supposed to develop feelings of kinship and community with them?
How have people treated you since you became atheist?
Having always been an atheist, I only attracted friends who were also atheists, or who at least were religious only for the ceremonies and didn't give the supernatural crap much thought. So those people treated me like I was normal. I was academically oriented as a kid, a science and math major. I went on to college in an era when that was unusual, and I became a computer programmer when the field first opened up. So I was always in milieus where religion was not predominant. It wasn't until the Religious Redneck Retard Revival in the late 1970s that religious people began to infiltrate scholarly and technical disciplines, and the first generation of the "born again" folks were so bad at scholarly and technical work that there was never any question of who looked down on whom. I had a gal working for me who claimed she wanted to be a programmer. She sat at her desk with her eyes closed and her elbows resting on an unopened program dump. I asked her when she was going to start debugging it and she said her preacher had told her than if she just kept praying an angel would come down and show her where the bug was.

Most of the religious people I encounter on SciForums have continued that tradition. Good old Sandy comes to mind. And then there's Sam, who insists that communism was invented by atheists, when "To each according to his needs, from each according to his ability," is a quote from the friggin' bible.

M*W: I've told you the story of my conversion to atheism, and I would like to know yours.
I always was atheist,
I believe that if you need a helping hand you'll find one at the end of your arm,

IOW atheist is more practical as they know we can only rely on our selves to get things done and not pray and wait for some imaginary god to help us.

worked pretty good so far.

maybe thats why so many religious people are poor and disapointed with their lifes as they waste so much time preying instead of actualy doing something to improve their lifes.

I was not "converted." I was never religious. My parents were atheists and at least one of my sets of grandparents were also. I'm a third-generation atheist on at least one side of the family.I was always an atheist. I never heard of gods and religion until I was about seven. Some little kid on the playground started talking about this guy named God who lived up in the sky and I assumed it was a big joke and fell on the ground laughing. Then when he started acting disappointed I figured it must be one of those stories kids make up and I was supposed to appreciate his creativity. Then when he got downright angry I realized it must be a Santa Claus-Tooth Fairy thing and his parents hadn't gotten around to telling him the truth yet. When I told my parents about it they said that some adults believe in God because their parents had never told them the truth. Then I thought they were joking, because if nobody tells them the truth, everybody eventually gets smart enough to realize that there's no such things as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy... don't they Momma? Momma???I never thought of it as a "philosophy." People who believed in gods were simply retarded. I easily became something of a misanthrope when I learned that grownups really do believe in an illogical, unobservable supernatural universe, the only evidence for which is the ravings of people who lived in the era before science and rationality. I mean, how the heck are you supposed to develop feelings of kinship and community with them?Having always been an atheist, I only attracted friends who were also atheists, or who at least were religious only for the ceremonies and didn't give the supernatural crap much thought. So those people treated me like I was normal. I was academically oriented as a kid, a science and math major. I went on to college in an era when that was unusual, and I became a computer programmer when the field first opened up. So I was always in milieus where religion was not predominant. It wasn't until the Religious Redneck Retard Revival in the late 1970s that religious people began to infiltrate scholarly and technical disciplines, and the first generation of the "born again" folks were so bad at scholarly and technical work that there was never any question of who looked down on whom. I had a gal working for me who claimed she wanted to be a programmer. She sat at her desk with her eyes closed and her elbows resting on an unopened program dump. I asked her when she was going to start debugging it and she said her preacher had told her than if she just kept praying an angel would come down and show her where the bug was.

Most of the religious people I encounter on SciForums have continued that tradition. Good old Sandy comes to mind. And then there's Sam, who insists that communism was invented by atheists, when "To each according to his needs, from each according to his ability," is a quote from the friggin' bible.
M*W: Thanks for your insightful post.

I always was atheist,

I believe that if you need a helping hand you'll find one at the end of your arm,

IOW atheist is more practical as they know we can only rely on our selves to get things done and not pray and wait for some imaginary god to help us.

worked pretty good so far.

maybe thats why so many religious people are poor and disapointed with their lifes as they waste so much time preying instead of actualy doing something to improve their lifes.

M*W" Thank you for your insight. I always wonder how atheists are always atheists and agnostics came to be after a revelation. In any event, thank you for your story.

When being taught about religions as a youngster I thought it was a load of tosh, so I never became theist.

it just never occured to me that the idea of god was meant to be taken seriously,it just seemed like all the other stories i heard as a kid.i dont think i realized until fairly late in my childhood that people actually believed those stories.
i went to a christian primary school and a quaker high school.

Isn't it the other way round? Aren't people converted to religions? If they turn to non-belief in gods, they are simply relinquishing their conversion.

We are all born with no beliefs in gods.

Isn't it the other way round? Aren't people converted to religions? If they turn to non-belief in gods, they are simply relinquishing their conversion.

We are all born with no beliefs in gods.

Quite right, I was taught at school about Jesus and whatnot, but shortly after becoming interested in evolution and dinosaurs I quickly realised that religious stories were not meant to be taken literally (although of course sadly many people do take them literally).
My atheism began around about the age of nine, which was the first time I even considered whether or not God was likely to exist.

Nothing. I was always told God existed, and I was even an altar boy (nothing happened, trust me), but I never had any opinion on the matter one way or the other.

How long of a process was your conversion to atheism?

In my case, I have always been. People can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that atheism isn't an active, intentional belief system in itself, but that it is simply the lack of belief. So I have always been an atheist.

What influenced you mostly about atheism?

I don't understand the question...

What do you mean by "atheist philosophy"? Atheism is simply not believing. It isn't a philosophy, it isn't a belief system. To call myself an atheist isn't to say "I know God does not exist", it simply means I see no reason to believe in it.

It hasn't.

Well, admitting atheism in front of a crowd of believers can be a trying task, but I've always felt that I can hold my own when the idiots come out and try to take me up on a debate. But I have not been treated differently in life because of my position on the Jewish God.

That the tooth fairy stole my lost Barbie doll because I'd accidentally flushed my tooth down the sink (she wanted the whole collection).

How long of a process was your conversion to atheism?

:shrug:

What influenced you mostly about atheism?

It's cool to be an atheist - I was scared to believe in God because the other kids would laugh at me.

When I talked to some theists.

I now realise that it wasn't the tooth fairy, but the flower fairies from my picture book.

Well I've been burned at the stake a few times as a heretic, but the fairies used their magic to help me escape.

Pretty well. I really only bring it up to others when neccessary, or when relevant.
M*W: I had an interesting experience when I was checking into the hospital for some tests. The clerk asked me what religion I was, and I said "I wasn't religious, I'm an atheist." You'd of thought I had the plague! The girl wanted to run out of the room because I was so 'evil.' I don't think she will ever forget me! She was really afraid of me! My bad.

Back