Those Astonishing Heteros

I am a ...

• Total voters
up until ivf, all homosexuals have descended from heteros. so i don't know how heteros have some dna advantage. regardless, i don't think sexual preferences are linked to a person's fitness. i don't understand how your argument works.

Originally Posted by Tiassa
Just like Jim Carrey is entitled to make a good one ... um ... once? Twice? ”

twice. ace ventura 1, me myself and irene. however, movies i enjoyed seeing him in, which weren't necessarily good movies, include: lemony snicket, eternal sunshine, the grinch, truman show, dumb and dumber, the mask, ace ventura 2. he's like the designated hitter of acting, he excels when well type cast.

No dear I was not saying that gays produce gays, I was saying that as INDIVIDUALS who are less likely to procreate giving the same sex thing they are less likely to pass on their DNA. So a straight male shagging all and sundry leaving lil ones all over the place has an advantage over a homosexual man who does not.

I go with once. Lots of people tell me the original Ace Ventura was good. And, sure, it was funny, but as I've admitted before, one of my favorite movies is The Lost Boys. That I like it doesn't change the fact that it was a horrible film. I think the same applies to Ace Ventura.

i know what you mean about appreciating a film for how bad it is, but that's not the case for ace ventura. its one of the rare comedies that stays funny til the end, has a good ending and decent plot. i think its only in the second ventura movie that he overacts, in the first it fits.

what'd you think of me myself and irene?

wanna name some great comedies, so we can set the bar, and to give me an idea of your sense of humour?

No dear I was not saying that gays produce gays, I was saying that as INDIVIDUALS who are less likely to procreate giving the same sex thing they are less likely to pass on their DNA. So a straight male shagging all and sundry leaving lil ones all over the place has an advantage over a homosexual man who does not.

so you're saying the hetero advantage is easier and more prolific reproduction, right? that's a fair call. i think the advantage children of gays have, is their gay parent chooses the mother/father based on genetic suitability rather than passion. so quantity vs. quality.

Well, let us reconsider the point again:

We might consider the "bitchin' Camaro", for instance. Many unfortunate men, and I am included in this number, remain puzzled at how one's car speaks to mate selection. Certainly, in the case of a new Lexus or Mercedes, it might speak to economic issues in much the same way as the "bulge in the pants" that really counts, the one caused by a fat wallet. But in the case of a '79 Camaro? It seems an aesthetic consideration, and one that is self-centered as opposed to anthropological or evolutionary.​
All evolutionary considerations are selfish. Evolution doesn't run to a preplanned design, it's more like a bunch of kids running around making finger paintings, one of which every now and then will turn out to be marketable.

Women in recent times have progressed from being reliant, to some extent or another, on men for their survival. They are now in an economic position, at least in the more advanced countries, which makes aesthetic considerations far more prevalent than they were as little as a hundred or so years ago.

How does the Camaro fit?
Firstly, with regard to the financial considerations, an old car can take as much and more to buy, restore and run than a new one. I don't know how these things currently stand in the US, but as an example a '73 E49 Valiant Charger (not the Dodge) will sell these days for anything up to the 250K mark for one in decent condition with compliance plates. To restore it to showroom and then keep it running costs considerably more long term. That's an extreme example, but by no means is an old car cheaper necessarily than a new one - particularly not in the long term.
A minor point. The perceived correlation between car and wallet thickness is otherwise obvious when considering those which aren't really considered collector's items down the scale.

I'll digress for a moment to tell a story, of sorts.
It ties in a little with MZBoy's thread the other day about totaling his Mustang. I had to read it to find out if he meant an old '65 - '70, in which case I would have been conflicted between being far more sympathetic for his loss, and wanting to hurt him if he hadn't been already.

I owned a '70 Valiant VG Coupe for about 8 years.
It's a little like a Dodge Dart, except our version was slightly longer in the nose, a touch more sleek, and overall a better looking vehicle, particularly when it was done up a little.
I fell in love with it from the first moment I saw it cruising around the town I lived in, a middle aged man at the wheel, with apparently no particular place to go. I followed him for about an hour, and finally bailed him up in his driveway.
It took a month for it to become mine. He didn't want to sell.

I loved that car. I'd drive it for hours on weekends to see what there was to see, and take it on long nighttime cruises on dark lonely highways just to think for a while. It was the car that made those trips as much as making them did. There was something about it that changed the relatively mundane into something slightly magical. Doing the same thing in a more modern car just never measured up. I'd be hard pressed to tell you why, unless you've done it yourself and already know. Sounds as though you don't.
I didn't buy it to impress girls. I wasn't so blind as to dismiss the potential, me being young back then, but it wasn't the primary concern. I just loved that old thing. It cost me more to run than any modern car, more to just keep it on the road. As you said, an old car is an old car. If I'd wanted to impress women, I could have bought something a whole lot cheaper and a fair amount more practical, and could have gotten something more in vogue at the time which looked good enough to do that anyway.

For about two years of that time I worked in a law firm in the city. I'd take the train, most days, because cost was prohibitive and it would have been a long drive otherwise. But every Friday, I'd take the old girl on the long run all the way in to the city and pay the exorbitant parking fees required to park it.
That evening, I'd come back out into the parking lot, sometimes walking with girls from work, and there were more than a few who lit up with a wide smile when they saw it and say "is that your car?" - and we're not talking in a condescending fashion either. Some of them absolutely loved it. City career girls... accountants, lawyers, personal assistants, all designer clothes and Gucci handbags. My old Val would often become a talking point, an icebreaker of sorts, which once or twice led further.

Eight years I drove it, and when the time finally came to sell, it felt a little like I'd just taken an old, blind, arthritic, but faithful-to-the-end family dog out behind the shed and shot it, because it just couldn't move anymore.

You don't understand that. Your question is Why.

See, a car can be more than just a vehicle. Most of them are something to get around in for a while before you move on. Some are cheap and nasty and just end up a pain in the ass. Some of them are average, reliable, trustworthy, and downright boring. Some of them cost a fortune and don't turn out to be anything different to all the others, when you get right down to it. A little more comfortable, maybe. Sleek looks, a smoother ride, air conditioning, leather seats, handles the corners easily. All the mod cons. But when it comes to emotion, they feel like they've just come off an assembly line... there just isn't much there. Put your foot down once in a while and you still can't feel what makes them tick.

But then, every now and again, you fall in love with one. They're the ones with character, something which sets them apart from the rest. The Keeper.
They might need some expensive upkeep from time to time, and you'll do it just to keep them happy. Might cost you a little more to keep them running smooth, and you'll do that too. You may have to deal with getting them started on a cold winter morning, but that applies to nearly all of them anyway and for most even that isn't a problem when they're treated right.
But one thing the keepers all have in common is that they make the journey to whatever the destination is more than it would be otherwise.

... Sorry. Bit of a digression on the digression there. I was warming up to the story. *chuckle*.

Back on track. What might it be that makes some women take notice of the Camaro?
As I said, women these days aren't reliant on men anymore. Generally speaking, they can look after themselves just fine without one. So aesthetics come into play more than they have in the past. Good looking men have always been in demand, but it was a secondary consideration until fairly recently. Haven't you noticed that's changing? Take a look at the billboards of the past to those of today, and tell me you don't see a difference in the ones that feature men.

A car can say a lot about a man. It might tell you he has a fat wallet. It might tell you he is broke. It might tell you if he prefers the practical over the whimsical. It might tell you what section of society he identifies with in himself, or where he wants to go. It can speak of ambition, or of living in the here and now. It can certainly tell you how much care he takes with his possessions. Conservative or not, prefers to buy what he's expected to buy or is told he should be driving.
Or it might tell you that he's someone who prefers to tell society to go hang itself and he'll drive what he damn well pleases, as long as it has something he can feel and that he isn't going to be parked alongside ten more just the same, regardless of the makers badge.

Damn it, man. A woman will even look at your shoes for information, you think they're not paying attention to your car says about you?

We're in the middle of the Great Leveling. Aesthetics are more important now than they've ever been.
And that woman might see something of what she perceives as a rebellious spirit in the man who drives a Camaro, that she identifies with in herself, that she doesn't in the one driving a Lexus. Long term, that might not turn out to be the case. But it's an indicator.
It really doesn't have much at all to do with evolution anymore, other than in social terms.

And how about the fine ass (any gender) or the nice rack (women)? How does this play into any sense of mate selection that is not purely aesthetic? In the case of breasts, someone might postulate something about motherhood, but that is superstition insofar as a nice rack does not necessarily translate to good milk for the offspring, and, furthermore, it is not exactly rare to find a man impressed by silicone implants. Beauty does not necessarily translate to anything more than an aesthetic advantage; we might recall that Western standards of beauty, even into the twentieth century, included some traits that happened to come about through what we would conventionally describe as incest. And, incidentally, it is worth noting that much of European incest came about because the nobility, unwilling to marry a lower socioeconomic class, often became so limited that cousins were the most appealing option.
One possibility regarding beauty is that it points to health, and youth. A woman certainly doesn't look as beautiful as she was when old or cancerous, and neither one lends itself to successful breeding.
In addition, studies of beauty have found that symmetry plays an important role. Symmetry can often indicate a more "perfect" example of a species, whether we're speaking of butterflies or humans.

Another is that in times long past, our social systems went along the lines of an Alpha Male pecking order, such that some Chimpanzee groups have, where only one male is (supposed) to do the breeding. What, then, would be his choice in females? Certainly, he's unlikely to be willing or able to do all of them. And if beauty indicates symmetry, which indicates a prime example... it all becomes more logical. He begins to pay attention more to the ones who look like prime examples of the species. Along comes the concept of beauty.

Over time, our social systems changed. But evolution doesn't necessarily eliminate anything which is no longer necessary, does it? We still retain all sorts of "leftovers" from a past which we no longer need.

The attraction to "beauty" still serves a purpose, albeit minor...or, at least, hasn't revealed itself as anything of a disadvantage. Therefore there was no reason for it to disappear from genetic consideration. The nature of what we might consider beauty to be might change, from time to time. But the concept itself does not.

Only guesses. But when it comes to evolutionary theory, guesses are about all we have, in many cases. Mine generally come after a few bourbons.

Yes, there is an aspect of advertising for a mate, but the question as such fails to account for what we might call the "Blue Oyster effect"; that is, a sweaty, bearded, even ugly top is sometimes desirable. And heterosexuals are not immune to this idea, either, although my own failure to find the charm or appeal in the "Slim Shady" look does not make for any definitive judgment. Rather, it is enough to point out that the appearance of sleaze, poverty, and even danger, is sometimes considered desirable. It is hard to account for desiring someone who looks like a reckless, unwashed biker if the appeal is genetic insofar as we might expect to desire soft hands, a three-piece suit, and other symbols of success in the culture.
Going back a long ways, the male was expected to be both provider and protector... including against other males. A male who looked the part might have been even more successful.
Any good protector could keep the wolf from the door. But it took an ugly, big, hairy, sweaty one to make a man think twice. He wouldn't have had to fight too often, if you catch my drift. The smaller one who might have been just as capable would have had to prove it more often, potentially one time too many.

Thus the hairy ape survived longer, and so did his mate - even if, as undoubtedly sometimes happened, she snuck off at night for a bit of the better looking one and had his kid instead. Didn't matter. Her kid survived... provided hairy ape never found out.

Looks, in the male, probably came a long way after utility in terms of permanent mate consideration. Short term, yes. Long term, the big hairy guy was the likely choice.

Many aspects of human evolution have become mere echoes of their former necessity. And in an age where aesthetics have become prominent, those echoes may still be making themselves manifest. The woman may not need a protector anymore, per se... but her choices might still reflect her instincts, whether she's aware of it or not. We're going to be acting out roles until something comes along to replace them... and that takes time. Already, we're seeing women choose mates based more upon "beauty" than anything else. Simply because this is one of the first periods in history they've been able to.
I'm saying, basically, that you're not going to see any overnight changes.
Where is all this leading... Eloi and Morlock?
I have a feeling we'll all be something approaching androgynous, tending towards the feminine side in thought patterns, come the end. Perhaps only vestigial tackle and a few pheromones will tell the difference.

With regard to gays, I can only surmise that there is a feminine thought process there which isn't as apparent in straight males. Gays come in as many types as anyone else... submissive, dominant, straight, queer acting... some are likely to have exactly the same thought processes as females do.
And come to think of it, they aren't necessarily even female thought process. They're thought processes we all have, only females have been the ones who had to make use of them more often in choosing mates.
So why shouldn't a more submissive or feminine gay male start thinking along the same lines and make the same choices?

(This section was rewritten last, and probably the least though-out. Getting pretty damn sick of it by now).

I would think it fairly self-evident: A gay marriage will join two disparate families. An incestuous marriage will not.
Only recently. People don't let go of their traditions, attitudes and prejudices easily.
Sure, a gay marriage might do that. But in times not long past, there was more to it - children. They were the cement that kept the alliance intact long after the demise of the parents. If a gay couple split or die, there isn't anything tangible left to do that. No continuity, in real terms.
An incestuous liaison does. You've already brought up the point about the great houses in Europe. A legacy is a legacy.
It's comparing a paper alliance with one of the blood.

Children in the past have always been necessary. The survival of humanity demanded that they were, and in the case of the incestuous it was often more to do with the survival of a specific bloodline. That consideration is evolutionary in nature as well, regardless of how distasteful we might find it now. It canbe shown to serve a purpose. With homosexuality, you have to stretch to find one, and then it is usually more social in nature than expressively evolutionary.
I've only recently read Dawkin's "The Selfish Gene", and while Ophiolite nearly threw an apoplectic fit over it (thinly disguised as intellectual snobbery), to the layman it opens new directions of thought. So fuck him. Which is, more or less, what I said at the time. I don't need details and fine distinctions, but I do admire someone who pushes me in a direction I hadn't previously considered... I'll do the rest myself for as long as I'm interested.

Personally, I have nothing against gays. I actually wish there were more of them - there are billions of people wandering around on this poor earth now, and gays don't breed. Yet.
Food for thought, regarding the overpopulation/evolution thing and the role of homosexuality. Can't make it stick myself, maybe someone else can.
I'm thinking along the lines of it having (nearly) always existed, but never before in such numbers due to having been weeded out or suppressed. It could never have been entirely weeded out though, due to bisexuality or even the ones who managed to get it up once in a while for a woman, faced with the alternative of social ostracism (or worse).

More food for thought. The homosexual is, albeit slowly, becoming more acceptable. The incestuous liaison is becoming less so, far more rapidly.
They've changed positions in the social pecking order, and coincidentally also changed positions as far as usefulness goes.

It's not really self-evident at all, is it? Dig deep enough, open your mind to possibilities, however repugnant you might find them, and you can justify just about anything.

Go tell it in Sand Point. The racists lost, and are still losing. And they can be as figuratively or literally as bloodyminded as they want, and they're still not going to win.
Without actually looking up whats going on in Sand Point, I would surmise that we're speaking of a situation in which a minority who care enough about something are confronted with a majority who care just as much in the opposite direction.
I feel obliged to point out that I was speaking of a minority who consistently press their views upon a relatively uncaring majority.

In Western Australia in the last decade or so the issue of daylight savings has arisen on a number of occasions. The businessmen are all for it, the farmers are worried about their cows getting confused about feeding time and the majority really don't care all that much.

So they held a referendum. In the first instance, it was "trialled" for a summer, and defeated marginally because those that didn't really care all that much thought, in the main, that it was a silly idea to have to reset your watch every six months and so voted no.

A couple of years later, they held the referendum again after another 6 month "trial". This time the result was much closer. The farmers still held firm, the businessmen were getting more numerous and those that didn't care all that much were beginning to get a little annoyed that they were forced to make the same decision again. But the answer was still no.

After the third "trial", and the third referendum, it was finally passed. It might actually have been the fourth, I'm finding it hard to remember now.
The farmers were by now a clear minority, most thought that cows getting confused was a rather silly argument and the numbers of businessmen were still growing. Those in the middle, by and main, were sick and tired of the whole affair and realised that "they" were going to have their way eventually if it took 20 years of trials and referendums, so finally voted yes just to shut everyone the hell up about it.

At the moment, the gays and human rights activists are the businessmen, the farmers are the conservatives and the majority are what they always are - those who really don't care much one way or the other other than in disliking inconvenience.
You'll get your way, eventually.

That was the Cecille B. DeMille, or at least a close enough approximation to the original.
Pretty damn bored today.

Last edited:
But we also suffered through Death to Smoochie for his benefit. And Robin Williams is entitled to make a bad film every now and then. Just like Jim Carrey is entitled to make a good one ... um ... once? Twice? Whatever. Something like that.
Jim Carey has never made a movie as bad as robin william's best movie, ok maybe the mask was no better than that one where robin williams takes photos, only because he wasn't trying to be funny.

I have always considered homosexuals to be very similar to naturally occurring obligate parasites, in that they cannot live independently of their host. It is this inability homosexuals display which creates "heterosupremacist" attitudes - attitudes which, as can easily be observed, are very much common. Imagine a nation comprised only of proud homosexuals: it would perish within a generation unless its citizens willingly defied their own sexuality. It is this dynamic of homosexuality which requires its members to be guests in a host nation comprised mostly of heterosexuals, who not only give birth to homosexuals, but their mates as well, and when applicable, their adopted children (which caters to their innate urge to care for children, which itself conceals their more primal urge of spreading their seed).

It is small wonder why every human civilization has been grossly "heterosupremacist" (if not explicitly, certainly implicitly). Tiassa, from what I've gathered, is arguing for the absolute equality of all sexualities, which is a moral war cultural Marxists have been waging for years. In an effort to stir the pot, I would assert that, ideologically, homosexuals are too, in fact, "heterosupremacists". It ultimately boils down to independence versus dependence, which creates supremacist attitudes that are not at all unreasonable. Why doesn't "homosupremacism" exist? It isn't because homosexuals are incapable of being supremacists; it's because they don't see the superiority in their sexuality.

Last edited:
I was saying that as INDIVIDUALS who are less likely to procreate giving the same sex thing they are less likely to pass on their DNA. So a straight male shagging all and sundry leaving lil ones all over the place has an advantage over a homosexual man who does not.

Not necessarily. It depends on the circumstances.

If child raising is easy and resources are plentiful then the fire hydrant approach works.

If child raising requires the effort of more than the mated pair then the fire hydrant looses all those children to attrition but by helping the group the gay man insures the indirect survival of his DNA.

And times have been hard enough, long enough that those gay men occupy 1/10th of the genetic code in humans and many other species have the same or related strategies.

Orthodontic braces or a head gasket?

Meursalt said:

All evolutionary considerations are selfish. Evolution doesn't run to a preplanned design, it's more like a bunch of kids running around making finger paintings, one of which every now and then will turn out to be marketable.

I don't disagree.

Women in recent times have progressed from being reliant, to some extent or another, on men for their survival. They are now in an economic position, at least in the more advanced countries, which makes aesthetic considerations far more prevalent than they were as little as a hundred or so years ago.

Indeed. Again, I don't disagree. Remember that the original proposition to which the "bitchin' Camaro" consideration responds is that the desire for marriage has nothing whatsoever to do with love, and everything to do with mate selection.

How does the Camaro fit?

I think you're complicating the issue a bit by introducing discussion of respectable cars. There are reasons I chose the '79 Camaro. It's a bucket of shit, and well-represented in the annals of stereotype. Indeed, the "bulge that really counts" is also a stereotype. But in both cases, it fit the generalization I was responding to.

If the car nut is Jay Leno? Well, okay, I can see someone trading years of bad jokes for financial security according to Prospero's mate selection generalization. But the general stereotype of the "bitchin' Camaro" is not positive. It involves mullets and bad mustaches, a can of chew in the back pocket, maybe a tuft of red crinkly ass hair sticking out of the back of a pair of ill-fitted, faded jeans. The vast majority of '79 Camaros I see are what we might call "project cars": passionate restorations that absorb years of a person's life, most of their disposable income, replace some of their necessary expenditures, and are never finished. And that last I don't mean in the conceptual sense. I mean five years later the upholstery still isn't done. What the point considers is why, if the issue is, as Prospero suggested, mate selection, the so-called "nice-guys" with high potential typically lose out to the stupid fuck with the bitchin' Camaro. The appearance of sleaze, poverty, and danger—as I have previously noted—often outweighs any real evolutionary context in mate selection.

My own father had a thing for sailboats. And if you've seen what happens when a husband develops a late affection for sailboats, then perhaps you can understand the curiosity about why someone finds a hunk of shit Chevrolet that requires constant attention and sucks up money better used for living necessities somehow attractive. In the case of a "bitchin' Camaro" stereotype, the mate selection criteria is to be ignored at best, abused at worst.

It's not that I disdain what you have to say about cars, but rather that I think you're heading in a different direction entirely. Thus:

Back on track. What might it be that makes some women take notice of the Camaro?
As I said, women these days aren't reliant on men anymore. Generally speaking, they can look after themselves just fine without one. So aesthetics come into play more than they have in the past. Good looking men have always been in demand, but it was a secondary consideration until fairly recently. Haven't you noticed that's changing? Take a look at the billboards of the past to those of today, and tell me you don't see a difference in the ones that feature men.

Again, you won't find me disagreeing. About that, or shoes, or the Great Leveling. There are plenty of shitty potential mates out there driving high-end marques, but the idea that shacking up for the night with the sleazy mullet behind the wheel of a bitchin' Camaro has anything to do with genuine mate selection? Love can be a psychosis, and when it is founded in rebellion, perversion of self-esteem, or some other refraction that makes the suggestion of sleaze, poverty, or danger attractive, the one evolutionary claim that can be made is that nature is, indeed, about its selection, as such.

One possibility regarding beauty is that it points to health, and youth.

Why do I always boldface the wrong part of the quote? I mean, how does that work? Do people think that the boldfaced part of the quote is the only important part? If it's the only important part, why not just restrict the quote to that? I think it's fair to say that the accentuation pertains to the relevant, or contextually necessary or appropriate aspect.

All that because the very next part of that paragraph read, "we might recall that Western standards of beauty, even into the twentieth century, included some traits that happened to come about through what we would conventionally describe as incest."

Another is that in times long past, our social systems went along the lines of an Alpha Male pecking order, such that some Chimpanzee groups have, where only one male is (supposed) to do the breeding. What, then, would be his choice in females? Certainly, he's unlikely to be willing or able to do all of them.

Going back that far, why would he not be willing or able to do all of the available females? Of course, there is an evolutionary complication here, and that is diversity. If an entire generation is descended from the same patronage, new blood must be imported lest the immediately subsequent generation risk corruption through incestuous breeding.

However, that part aside, the only thing preventing the Alpha from claiming all the females in that case is the effort of defending his harem against competitors.

And if beauty indicates symmetry, which indicates a prime example... it all becomes more logical. He begins to pay attention more to the ones who look like prime examples of the species. Along comes the concept of beauty.

Ever hear the phrase, "childbearing hips"? These days we just call it "fat". Beauty is disconnected from the aspects of living necessity your argument appeals to. It's not that I disagree with your basic theory, but, as you noted, the evolutionary application of such notions is a "leftover". These days, standard are arbitrary. Think of it this way: I used to lust after Heather Langenkamp and Patricia Arquette, circa Nightmare on Elm Street 3. Yig.

But beauty is arbitrary. Do you recall the "waif look" among models? What about that archetype suggests health? Certainly it suggests youth. The flat breasts, the slender, shapeless hips, the androgynous buttocks. Kind of creepy, when you get down to it.

Only guesses. But when it comes to evolutionary theory, guesses are about all we have, in many cases. Mine generally come after a few bourbons.

Well, you know .... Er, yeah. I understand. Really. No sarcasm, I promise.

Going back a long ways, the male was expected to be both provider and protector... including against other males. A male who looked the part might have been even more successful.
Any good protector could keep the wolf from the door. But it took an ugly, big, hairy, sweaty one to make a man think twice. He wouldn't have had to fight too often, if you catch my drift. The smaller one who might have been just as capable would have had to prove it more often, potentially one time too many.

Thus the hairy ape survived longer, and so did his mate - even if, as undoubtedly sometimes happened, she snuck off at night for a bit of the better looking one and had his kid instead. Didn't matter. Her kid survived... provided hairy ape never found out.

The only problem with that approach is that it presumes evolutionary archetypes outweigh immediate observation. In the modern day, it's hard to figure out how the neighborhood meth dealer presents a more promising image than, say, a biology professor at a local university. In the same episode of The Mark Steel Lectures I quoted before, he did a joke about how when Darwin wrote that he didn't know whether humans were descended from chimpanzees or apes, it must have been as shocking as a daughter telling her father, "I don't know whether to date a Hell's Angel or Gary Glitter."

Only recently. People don't let go of their traditions, attitudes and prejudices easily.
Sure, a gay marriage might do that. But in times not long past, there was more to it - children. They were the cement that kept the alliance intact long after the demise of the parents. If a gay couple split or die, there isn't anything tangible left to do that. No continuity, in real terms.
An incestuous liaison does. You've already brought up the point about the great houses in Europe. A legacy is a legacy.
It's comparing a paper alliance with one of the blood.

There are a number of things to consider in that. In the political context, the "traditional marriage" to which the heterosupremacists refer is, in fact, of very recent vintage. It is a Leave It To Beaver or Ozzie and Harriet image. In sociological terms, the period is referred to as "The Long Decade", and ran from about 1947 to 1962. One of the interesting points to emerge in recent years is that, as more and more of these wives are growing old and dying, their diaries and letters are finding their ways into the hands of university professors. It turns out that many of them were tremendously unsatisfied. In other words, the "traditional marriage" to which the heterosupremacists appeal absolutely sucked for women.

But beyond that, yes, marriage was a utility and women considered an asset to be traded. The European nobility is something of an extreme case. Perhaps its greatest legacy is World War I, but we cannot expect that they could have foreseen such carnage. Or maybe they should have. I do not know whether or not they were aware of the scale of interconnection. But all things considered, maybe they should have.

The European example, though, does reflect selfishness, although not in the sense of a selfish gene that protects kin and lineage. Rather, this was a much more immediate selfishness, one that reflected personal interests. Where a tribal chief might send a daughter to a rival tribe, thus cementing peace, we see the utility of marriage as such. But sending a daughter to marry a nephew in order to add to one's immediate holdings? That's just silly.

Without actually looking up whats going on in Sand Point, I would surmise that we're speaking of a situation in which a minority who care enough about something are confronted with a majority who care just as much in the opposite direction.

Sand Point, Idaho is infamous for being an epicenter of American white supremacy. And those folks can hammer the issue as much as they want, and no amount of sheer bloodymindedness is going to win their cause.

In Western Australia in the last decade or so the issue of daylight savings has arisen on a number of occasions.

If you ever have the occasion to watch American network television, you will still find prime time programming advertised with variant hours, namely a phrase like, "Thursday, at 9/8 Central". What that means is that the show will run at 9:00 PM in three of our four continental time zones, but at 8:00 PM in the Central. This is because Central time is an hour off from the rest of the country. Most of us on the coasts don't pay attention to the issue, in large part because it is, on the one hand, settled, and, to the other, taking place hundreds of miles away, but the deviation is for the sake of farmers.

Unfortunately—

At the moment, the gays and human rights activists are the businessmen, the farmers are the conservatives and the majority are what they always are - those who really don't care much one way or the other other than in disliking inconvenience.

—the "farmers" as such don't have a leg to stand on; it's not just a matter of hammering away, but rather that as we learn more and more about how human beings operate, it is becoming more and more clear that homosexuality is not just some random choice that people make. Certainly, that should be intuitive. Take Draqon's example, for instance: What popular young man who gets all the ladies wakes up one morning and says, "You know? I think I want to spend the rest of my life despised, persecuted, and taking it up the ass."

Nobody sane, at least. Of course, that's how we came to have, for a time, a diagnosis like ego-dystonic homosexuality. How many genuine heterosexuals wake up each day unable to get it up over members of their own sex, but hate themselves for their heterosexual inclinations, anyway?

Yet in this case, intuitive to the point of being bloody obvious doesn't get much credit. Hell, there are even some who would suggest that as we find out more about how homosexuality originates in human beings, we ought to develop a therapy to cure it.

One of those

I, um ....

Well, really. This is just one of those.

Or, as Dan Savage put it:

So the powerful California elected official didn't realize he was wearing a live mic as he shared the details of not one extramarital affair ...

That link includes the KCAL 9 news report, which verges on surreal, and quotes R. Scott Moxley's blog for OC Weekly.

I really can't do this justice. Just ... click away.

It really is hard to understand the dissonance, as the four million tons of political hay involved in this one might suggest.

Notes:

Savage, Dan. "What Are The Odds?" Slog. September 9, 2009. Slog.TheStranger.com. September 9, 2009. http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/09/09/what-are-the-odds

See Also:

Moxley, R. Scott. "OC Assemblyman In Bed With Lobbyist . . . No, Literally In Bed". Navel Gazing. September 8, 2009. OCWeekly.com. September 9, 2009. http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/breaking-news/oc-assemblyman-in-bed-with-lob/

Even Freud would be confused ....

I won't go so far as to cite some of the pornographic "literature" out there; the web's a bizarre dimension unto itself. However:

Mental health experts called the case "an abomination" and said if proven it would have long lasting effects on the boy.

"I don't think I've heard of another case like this in my career," Dr Gerald Shiener, chief of Consultation and Liaison Psychiatry at Sinai Grace Hospital in Detroit, said.

"Our first reaction to hearing about something like this is that this is every man's nightmare. It's an abomination," he told MyFOXDetroit.

"I'm at a loss for words because it's something that we consider to be so out of the normal, so prohibited in every culture that it unnerves every man just to think about it.

“This could be his first sexual experience, and his first sexual experience could be something so conflicted, so unusual, so prohibited that it will stay with him for life," Dr Shiener said.

(News.com.au)

See, the obvious crack is that it's not really so traumatic. There are plenty of men out there who secretly desire to be "raped" by a woman, although it's worth stating for the record that they're referring to a pure fantasy when saying such things.

So what is so traumatic?

A mother has been charged with three counts of criminal sexual conduct after she allegedly tracked down the son she adopted out a decade ago, seduced and then raped him.

Prosecutors in the US claim Aimee Louise Sword of Waterford Township near Detroit found her biological son after an online search.

They told Fox News the boy was still under the legal age of consent, but would not disclose whether he knew Sword was his mother.

(ibid)

I'm having a hard time getting past the requisite, "Huh?"

God damn. Even Freud would choke on his cigar over that one.

Notes:

"Aimee Louise Sword charged over rape of biological son". News.com. September 14, 2009. News.com.au. September 14, 2009. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26069419-401,00.html

tiassa sadly that sort of thing happens WAY to often, for the most part (as reported in the media at least) its a father and his daughter but this paticular form of exploitive insest DOES happen from time to time.

Of course there are times when you need to ask should it really be a crime or not. For instance a case a while ago in Australia where a father and adult daughter had a relationship and were only charged (as far as i know) because of the mans jilted former spouse and because the daughter got pregant. Now the last IS an issue but the relationship itself and the "discust" of the mans former spouse SHOULDNT be an issue.

Another case of insest i herd about (directly from the girl) was that of a twin brother and sister seperated early in life who happened to met eachother and start a sexual relationship before finding out they were brother and sister

Back