There is absolutely NO contradiction whatsoever between religious faith and science

Dywyddyr,

Let's try again: you decided that god is responsible because it has not (so far) been shown how life started.

In which post did I make this decision?

You have made your mind up that, since we do not currently have an answer to this question, it must be god.
Same as above.

Do you also decide "god" is the answer for all questions you can't answer outright?
And: are these unexplainable by the scientific method?

I don't know what you mean by this question.
It is clearly not part of any discussion we have had.

jan.

In which post did I make this decision?
Same as above.
I don't know what you mean by this question
Failure to understand.
The original comment was directed at Yaracuy. But it applies to you equally..

It is clearly not part of any discussion we have had.
On the contrary: it was quoted and addressed directly to you in post 126.

Dywyddyr,

Failure to understand.
The original comment was directed at Yaracuy. But it applies to you equally..

Why does it apply to me equally?

On the contrary: it was quoted and addressed directly to you in post 126.

Then answer my response in post 127.

jan.

Why does it apply to me equally?
Because you have chosen a position that has no supporting evidence and you constantly bring up the point that science doesn't yet have an answer (to the extent that you ridiculously expect me to somehow start believing in god simply because this answer is not available now).

Then answer my response in post 127.
False.
Your post 127 was a reply to my post 108.

Dywyddyr,

Because you have chosen a position that has no supporting evidence and you constantly bring up the point that science doesn't yet have an answer (to the extent that you ridiculously expect me to somehow start believing in god simply because this answer is not available now).

There is evidence for God, you just don't accept it.
I believe everything, including our ability to discuss, is evidence of God.
That you rule out the existence of living beings and consciousness on the basis that science hasn't got an explanation for them, is more a faith statement than mine.

False.
Your post 127 was a reply to my post 108.

It applies to 126 though, so please answer it (if you can).

jan.

Show it.

In other words your "evidence" isn't evidence. It's simply a claim of yours that you can't substantiate.
Can I equally claim that clouds and flowers are evidence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Would you accept that as evidence?

That you rule out the existence of living beings and consciousness on the basis that science hasn't got an explanation for them, is more a faith statement than mine.
Huh?
I don't rule out the existence of living beings OR consciousness. Get a clue.

It applies to 126 though, so please answer it (if you can).
No it doesn't.
And I have answered it. Numerous times.

jan..you do not have to answer dyw.
just ignore him, every time you respond to him, you only give him more material to argue with..

Dywyddyr,

jan.

That's pretty messed up. Science has explanations both for consciousness and living beings, all based on reliable evidence, not words in the bible.

The above quote is absurd and weak. But that is not the faith of Catholicism, which has for 2000 years had some of the greatest minds in history probing both natural and divine revelation using the tools of logic and rationality. Heck, that is why there is such a field as theology in the first place. The Catholic faith is a rational faith, which is not a faith based upon lack of evidence, but rather overwhelming evidence to believe in something not directly seen.

The trouble with science, on the other hand, is that it's "evidence" is restricted to the material realm and by definition could not explain or even observe immaterial evidence. So while science may be "all about evidence," it is evidence of only a particular sort and is blinded to the bigger picture.

However, this all can be "worked out" by synthesizing the two. By understanding that science answers "how" God did/does things, and religion (faith) answers "why" God does things. Both of which are aided by revelation, both natural (the laws of physics and chemistry) and supernatural (Scripture, Tradition, Magisterium), as well as reason, philosophy, and logic.

That's also pretty messed up. Early science didn't tend to contradict the Bible, and when it did, those early scientists got in trouble unless they submitted to church doctrine. Science also answers why things happen, the how is also the why. Nothing non-material has yet been shown to exist, so there can be no synthesis of the two until that happens.

[‘God’ is supposed to be fundamental, existing before everything, and then planning and making everything that we know and love. This Mind (God) who supposedly planned and made All can indeed be refuted, by the only way possible for that of invisibles, that of self-contradiction…

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

You in your mind and with theory can refute anything you want . But can you scientifically tell with proof how did life come into the earth ?
Can you or any scientist or scientific knowledge assemble a living cell ?
If you know such project , what is the name of such p[project and who is leading this project ?
If you don't know , then you just trow around words to convince your self to hold your creation less position .

As for me is A Spirit Creator, I call God
…>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

…but first, you have to pay a dollar, for I already put this out in several places, where emotion probably neglected it.[/QUOTE]

Thank for the offer but I rather buy the Brooklyn bridge

What the fuck?

. Science also answers why things happen, the how is also the why. Nothing non-material has yet been shown to exist, so there can be no synthesis of the two until that happens.

Can you explain gravity , can you explain the forces that hold galaxy together,
Would you consider a Photon is a material object if so what is the mass weight of a photon. Can you or science explain how a DNA was put together , in step by step ( chemically not biologically):)

I'm about as naturalistic as you can get. I do not believe that anything that does not have physical properties can possibly exist. I'm as certain about this as I am about anything. But does this rule out the possibility of the existence of something we might call God? Not necessarily. It only means that God is not supernatural.

I'm having trouble imagining the concept of a 'naturalistic God'.

As you've pointed out before Yazata, discussions such as this one often suffer from the problems associated with not defining exactly what kind of God we are talking about. It seems that the default God on these forums is the one featured in Judeo-Christian theology but that is not the God I typically concern myself with. God is, to me, nothing more than a non-specific largely undefined philosophical concept.

There's a rather abstract 'God of the philosophers' I guess, where God is kind of defined as whatever fulfills what (controversially) are a set of necessary philosophical functions. First-cause, designer, ground of being, teleological goal perhaps.

As for me, I see more need for some of these functions than for others. For example, I feel (it's kind of intuitive) that the question why reality exists at all, why there's something rather than nothing, is the ultimate ontological question. I sense the contingency of being very strongly. Others don't. They blithely dismiss the whole problem with a wave of their hand and an Eleatic-style 'non-existence doesn't exist', which strikes me as sophistry, as whistling in the dark.

But having said that, I don't think that imagining whatever the answer might be (if there is an answer) as somehow being "God" is at all helpful. That just gratuitously introduces a whole collection of traditional religious connotations and associations surrounding the word 'God', while still leaving us stuck with the problem of accounting for the existence of God, with is really just the original problem restated.

The reason that I don't completely reject the idea of God like true atheists do is simply because there is no way to be absolutely certain that it is an impossibility.

I guess that there's some possibility that God is just as he's portrayed in the Bible. I'd assign that a very low probability and in my own life I don't believe it. The same thing applies to Allah and the Quran, some probability of truth, but so small that I feel confident in dismissing it. The same thing for Saivism and Vishnaivism. It's even possible that this is the Matrix and I'm really a body plugged into a nutrient vat living a virtual life in a virtual world. But I don't believe that either.

I guess that as we move away from the details of concrete religious traditions (and science-fiction stories) and make our definition 'God' more and more philosophical, functional and abstract, that the probability of something actually corresponding to the word increases. How much, it's hard to say. It's probably more likely that some unknown first-cause exists than that Hebrew mythology is uniquely true.

But cognitive content is draining out of the word 'God' when it's redefined as whatever hypothetically fulfills some philosophical function. At some point the question arises -- what reason remains for calling this hypothetical philosophical function 'God'? We don't really know that there's only one single entity that fulfills the function. Whatever fulfills it, it probably isn't a person like we are. It probably has nothing to do with human morality or with salvation. It's probably unrelated to any purported religious revelations.

So when I respond the way I initially did to Dywyddyr, I am simply defending the intellectual position of agnostic atheism rather than a belief in any particular God.

That's cool. I basically agree with you, I think. I wasn't really challenging you and I apologize if it seemed that way. I was just reacting to your post as one of the more substantive in this thread and a good jumping off point for expressing my own views on the logical compatibility of religious faith and science. That's what I'm doing in this post too, improvising around your ideas and exploring my own reaction to them.

Last edited:
Can you explain gravity , can you explain the forces that hold galaxy together, Would you consider a Photon is a material object if so what is the mass weight of a photon. Can you or science explain how a DNA was put together , in step by step ( chemically not biologically):)

Science does indeed have plausible naturalistic explanations for most of these things. But you act as if the default view were that religion was correct and science has to prove it knows everything before religious myths can be dismissed. That is an error. Nothing supernatural has yet been shown to exist, and yet the applications of science are obvious, proving it's worth as a method of arriving at explanations. You first have to disprove any scientific explanation (however unproven) before a religious explanation might be reasonably considered.

Back